• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 psvfni

psvfni
  • 1 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 28 July 2015 - 09:50 AM

I recently went through a miscarriage at 6 weeks. I have a 3 year old, which we conceived naturally. Currently, I am 37, and  endo (not sure what stage) and only one tube due to ectopic pregnancy previously. We went through a FET in June and the whole time I was preparing with omega-3 and EGGC supplements due to endo, but now I am worried that I perhaps *caused* my miscarriage due to taking EGCG. Is that possible? I read that is is like methotrexate chemically, so now I wonder if this could have all been avoided. I actually didn't stop taking EGCG (500 mg) supplement until a week or so after I found out i was pregnant. My doctor said the miscarriage was most likely chromosomally abnormal due to how early it occurred. She said we could hedge our bets and do a FET on the 1 remaining embyro we have left, thinking that it could be normal (since 50% of embryos are technically chromosomally abnormal at my age, 37), or  start all over again with a fresh/frozen cycle and do PGS.

I did not tell my doctor of my supplementation with EGCG, mostly because I don't know if they could give me an answer about it. I know of the effects of caffeine and miscarriage, but this supplement was caffeine free. Now I worry that EGCG in general could hvae led to the miscarriage in and of itself!  Could it be? So perhaps this was the chromosomally normal embryo and the one frozen isn't! Could I have just avoided all of this if I wasn't so stupid?!

#2 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:25 PM

Hello there! 

I'm so sorry for loss. :( This is a great question. Green tea can reduce the conversion of folic acid to methylfolate however it is nowhere near the strength of methotrexate  - so the green tea having caused your miscarriage is highly unlikely.  Think about the asian cultures who traditionally drink plenty of green tea and do not have any higher rate of miscarriage. Miscarriage rates are higher in endo patients, but also most miscarriages particularly if it's your first one, are related to random chromosomal abnormalities (aneuploidy). 

Most good quality professional brand prenatals, contain methylfolate rather than folic acid. If you are using methylfolate as your folate source, it is perfectly safe to use green tea. Otherwise, be sure to switch to a brand with methylfolate. 

Also, if you eat plenty of raw leafy greens like romaine lettuce and spring mix, you'll be getting natural folates. 

Hope this was helpful!

Dr. Fiona

• mountainchick likes this
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: endometriosis, egcg, miscarriage, ivf, fet