12 replies to this topic

#1 sisonche

sisonche
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 27 July 2015 - 09:36 PM

Hi everybody,
I live in Vancouver, BC for 7 years. Since then almost started my story for trying to have a baby with my husband. We are married for 8 years and the main reason for me not to be able to conceive was my husban sperm quality and number. We saw one fertility doctor 4 years ago in Genesis clinic and I was so disappointed. He started to convince us that we need in IVF not IUI, because the success rate is 60%. He mentioned that my egg reserve is low, FSH is very high...kind of IVF is my only chance. He was not concerned about my husband's sperm. The summer next year we went to see our parents that live abroad. Before we left I asked my fertility doctor for a report on my results and all the tests I did.I was shocked when I saw that letter, saying 33 y.o. female, healthy....bla, bla, bla. Shocked! So we saw a fertility doctor in our country( where our parents live) and I got pregnant with IUI, no medications at all during our 4 weeks vacation there. I miscarried on week 6 and since then my husband schedule don't allow us to go back together and try again. The last week after 4 years I decided again to check out the fertility doctors in Vancouver. I couldn't find one doctor with at least few patients with successful stories. Everything was bad, sad, disappointed people. Lots of writing about careless doctors who try to convince you for IVF, because that's how they make their money...on people's sadness.
That is why I decided to find a website where hopefully I can find people with successful stories and good experience that can help people like me. Please, share your positive story and the doctor that help your dream to come true.
I am looking for my angel that will help me find a true doctor here in Vancouver, BC.
Thank you everyone for your time and your help.
Truly,
Silvia

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:06 PM

Hi Silvia,

I'm sorry you've had such a frustrating journey to parenthood.  There are many excellent clinics in BC that many of our members will be able to share their experiences with.  I believe both Olive & VFC are very well reviewed.  Some important things to keep in mind when trying to build your family...

-  IVF does have a MUCH better success rate than IUIs.  It doesn't mean that you can't conceive with an IUI but if you have high FSH & low egg reserve I believe nearly any reputable RE you see will be recommending IVF to you.  If it is your desire to do several IUIs before proceeding to IVF you can discuss the feasibility of that with your RE.  Bare in mind that with low ovarian reserve and high FSH it would be unwise to spend a large amount of time on IUIs when you're already fighting a clock.

-  Every clinic will have good & poor outcome stories.  It's important to do your research and find a good fit for you & your diagnosis.  One should always remember as well that there are two sides to every story and on the internet we only are seeing one aspect of a medical situation that may have far more details behind it.

Good luck with your research and building your family!

• mouse, gibasgirl, smurfette_w and 2 others like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 Baby#5

Baby#5
  • Global 100+
  • 100 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:PCRN

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:42 PM

Hi Silvia

I have Dr Roberts at Pacific Centre for Reproductive Medicine. .. he has written books about infertility and has one of the highest rates in the country . If u wanted to get a visit with him it's not a super long wait list either and he will tell u right away tests and all that hun... his name is Jeffrey Roberts he is awesome and pcrm is just like a spa environment just gorgeous

If u would like to know more please feel free to message me or them directly... there is also a PCRM forum also.

Best of luck in your journey hun..
  • lumnay likes this

#4 sisonche

sisonche
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 12:44 AM

Thank you so much for your fast response. I am really looking forward to finding my doctor here in Vancouver.
About the egg reserve and my FSH... In the report I asked for this doctor said that I am healthy and didn't mention anything about my egg reserve or FSH. Actually when he was telling me the results about the FSH level, I started to cry... I was so stressed that time...I asked him, how come, I am only 33 can I do something to improve this levels. He answered, that this is genetic and it is coming from my mom. For the record, my mom had her period until 53 and has two healthy kids. So, I did some research and bought Vitex, plus acupuncture for 3 months brought my FSH to normal levels. He couldn't explain that to me on my next appointment and just said that FSH goes up and down...Then in my parents country the doctor said that the test for the egg reserve is pretty new and not 100%reliable. For me these doctors just want to scare you, so they will do whatever they want and you will pay for 1, 2, 3 and more IVF procedures. The IVF is not that scary, but all the stimulations and hormones you have to take are. Plus, the money, the stress and the time. Not everybody that goes to fertility doctors need invitro, but that is what most of the doctors try to convince you. That is how they make big money. 99% of the doctors think about the money first. I am looking for this 1% who care about you first and I will be happy to pay them even if I have to find 3 job.
I am very thankful that people are trying to help me here and I appreciate every response.
I hope we can help many women with their dilemma where to go. Because good doctors deserve their money and deserve to have more people, even if they need to wait longer to see them.
I hope that people with successful pregnancy will write too, because I didn't see many in Vancouver when I was trying to do some research.
Looking forward to hearing them.
Truly,
Silvia

#5 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 28 July 2015 - 03:39 AM

I have been to three clinics in vancouver (including the UBC one that has now closed) but didn't ever feel that they were trying to make money off me, but then again, we have genetic issues that can only be resolved with IVF anyway.  I know of LOTS of successful IVF and IUI stories in real life.  Just off the top of my head, I know at least 10 successful IVF stories and one IUI story.  You have to remember that not everyone feels the need to go on online forums, and I find the ones that do are often the ones that have not had a lot of success, or at least have had a lot of struggles.  I currently go to Olive and have found all the doctors to be very honest, compassionate, and helpful.

I can understand why REs tend to think it's more of a woman's issue because so long as there is sperm (and not zero sperm), then the husband's issues tend to be less of a factor.  After all, a woman only has a finite number of eggs while men keep generating new sperm over time.  I am surprised that the RE in your home country says the test for egg reserve is quite new and unreliable, I thought this test is pretty standard, although your own levels may change somewhat from time to time (so it's a body issue, not a test issue). I agree with CHG, with a low ovarian reserve, any RE would recommend IVF right away and not spend time and money on IUIs.

• mouse, ociwoman, CdnHockeyGal and 3 others like this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#6 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:53 AM

As per Smurfette, the AMH test is very reliable and the gold standard for gauging a woman's ovarian response. That I am aware of there are two potential caveats to AMH....i). Did the labe perform the test correctly? It's a very sophisticated test and if you're concerned have your levels rerun to confirm. ii). Low vitamin D levels can suppress AMH results. If you've had an antral follicle count performed (AFC)...this in combination with elevated FSH would confirm a low ovarian reserve.

Many women with low ovarian reserve will still have periods into their late 40's and 50's...but likely not ovulate or have poor quality eggs on the rare occasion that they do ovulate.

It is possible to conceive with an IUI and low ovarian reserve - I have personally conceived at 35 but the fact remains that IVF is a much more successful route to pursue when dealing with diminished ovarian reserve.
  • smurfette_w, ollie2013 and lumnay like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#7 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:38 AM

The best advice I could give is to encourage you to see and accept the facts that you have before you - before it is too late to conceive with your own eggs... The facts as you have written above are:

- You are 37 and beyond the prime fertile years
- You were diagnosed with a low ovarian reserve four years ago (in the fertility world LOTS can change - get worse - in four yesrs)
- FSH levels DO fluctuate month to month, but once you have a high FSH result, you should take that seriously and see it as a warning signal that your fertility is likely less than optimal
- you did conceive via IUI FOUR YEARS AGO, but fertility declines with age, so you are most definitely not as fertile now
- your husband has sperm issues and you have not conceived on your own,
- you had a miscarriage (sorry for your loss; that is hard).

I don't want to sound mean, but just want to help you realize that you can waste a lot of time and reduce your chances of conceiving when you ignore facts and give in too much to wishful thinking. The fact is that ivf IS almost always more successful than iui. If you look through this site, you will find tons of stories of women who tried the iui route many times, and eventually ended up having to do ivf. Looking back, many realized that they lost a lot of time, energy and money being hopeful and thinking they would be the one who beat the odds. (I did this myself.)

So, my advice to you is to get a good fertility work-up done by a reputable RE, accept your past history as fact, and then make choices based on all the factual information. It can be easier to think that doctors just want to take your money instead of accepting that you may need to have some serious intervention that you had not bargained for. Many of us have been there... but don't waste time chasing hope and denial, as it may prevent you from becoming a mommy in the end...

Wishing you lots of luck finding a doctor you trust. I know there are many women on here who found wonderful RE's to work with in BC.
  • ladylazarus, MB., smurfette_w and 4 others like this

#8 sisonche

sisonche
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 10:48 AM

Thank you ladies for taking the time to write here. Again, the reason to decide to create this forum was hopefully to find many happy ending stories, because the sad and the disappointed ones are countless. This stories (and hopefully people will share the name of their doctor and the clinic) will help people like me to find their doctor and give us more hope.
Truly,
Silvia

#9 Super Mama

Super Mama
  • 87 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 28 July 2015 - 01:55 PM

Well I'm not in BC so my Drs name and my clinic won't help you. I did want to say that in IF a lot of bad sometimes comes before the good comes. You can't escape the sad. Most ppl here have had difficult times. IMO, you have to be prepared for that. Denying yourself the sadness that can come with IF can set you up for disaster. Hearing difficult stories from others can teach you how to move through your own difficult situation.
I had success with my first ivf after three unsuccessful IUIs. I wish I would have just skipped the IUIs and gone right to ivf. I hope you get your miracle baby and please be honest with yourself along the way. It IS possible. My now 4 year old has proven that.
All the best
  • mouse, ociwoman, CdnHockeyGal and 1 other like this

#10 babsicle

babsicle
  • 67 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:genesis

Posted 28 July 2015 - 04:50 PM

Hello!

I too was a patient of genesis, but have nothing but great things to say about the clinic and Dr. Kayshup. Many of the drs who were there left to open olive clinic, which I have also heard great things about. I too had an elevated FSH and decided that skipping iui and going right to ivf was our best chance at a baby. We were lucky, our first ivf produced our now 18 month old daughter and I am currently 37 weeks pregnant from my first fet from the Same cycle. I never felt pressure from the clinic, or that I was there to make them money. They were very compassionate and caring. I am also a two time success story, so there is hope! Best of luck to you!
  • ociwoman likes this
Me 33 DH 32
Ttc since april 2011
April 2013 started first ivf (and hopefully only)
April 4- started menopur and bravelle (primed with estrace for a week first)
April 8- e2 @240, bravelle upped
April 10- e2 @ 840, dosages stay the same. Several follies seen on left, only one on right. Orgulatran started today.
April 12- e2 @ 2026, dosages stay the same, back on sunday for more bloodwork and an u/s. More follies seen today, most are around 11mm. Dr. N says not done cooking yet, keep up with the stims:)
April 14- e2 @5060, trigger tomorrow night!!!!!
April 15- trigger at 11 pm :)
April 16- Drug free day :)
April 17-egg retrieval (6 eggs)
April 18-fertilization report! 5/6 eggs fertilized with ivf
April 20-Day 3: all 5 embryos looking great! All 8-10 cells, 4 A graded and 1 B graded. Pushing on to day 5.
April 22- Day 5: one blast transferred, lining is exceptional. 2 emby's frozen, 2 more growing overnight that might be frozen tomorrow!
April 23-clinic phoned today, the other two blasts were too low quality to freeze :(
April 27- 5dp5dt bfn
April 28- 6dp5dt bfp (squinter)........very bloated
April 29- 7dp5dt bfp (still a squinter).........even more bloated
April 30- 8dp5dt beta=101
May3- 11dp5dt beta = 244
May 6- 14dp5dt beta= 835
May 10-18dp5dt= 4760
May 22- first u/s showing one perfect bean measuring exactly on track! Hb 125 :)
Jan 7 2014- happy healthy baby girl born via emergency c section

Fet#1-december2014(all natural last minute decision)
Nov 13- phone consultation to start the process
Nov 20- ultrasound to see if fet is a go
Nov 22- start opk testing
Nov 28-positive opk
Dec 1- progesterone starts daily
Dec 3- day 5 fet (only one thawed)
Dec 8- 5dp5dt very very faint bfp
Dec 9- 6dp5dt still very faint bfp
Dec 10- 7dp5dt darker bfp
Dec 11- 8dp5dt darker bfp
Dec 12- 9dp5dt bfp on digital
Dec 15- 12dp5dt beta 388
Dec 17- 14dp5dt beta 763
Dec 26- 23dp5dt beta 21172
Dec 27- u/s 6 weeks 1 day heart beat of 125
Jan 9- u/s 8 weeks, measuring at 8 weeks 2 days with heart beat of 160!
Feb 3- u/s 11 weeks 4 days, measuring 11 weeks 6 days. HB 163.
March 25- u/s at 18 weeks 5 days. Baby looked healthy and it's a girl:)
August 9th 2015- heathy baby girl born via c-section at 38 weeks. 7 pounds 11 ounces.

Our hearts are full :)

#11 sisonche

sisonche
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 07:16 PM

Dear ladies,
I am so happy to start seeing successful baby stories here.
I hope that there will be many more.
I will appreciate if you can write the name of the doctor that helped you and the clinic.
Thank you again!

#12 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7477 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:27 PM

Super Mama makes a very good point - while ART can and certainly has helped many achieve their dream of a take home baby, most will have had challenges and set backs along the way.  Nothing in the process is guaranteed, and sadly, the reality is that anywhere from 50 to 70% of cycles will not result in that happy goal.  So much depends on your age, your diagnosis, and being lucky enough to hit the golden egg/sperm combo.

Fingers crossed for all still in the game!

• ociwoman, Pebbles, CdnHockeyGal and 1 other like this
The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#13 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:47 PM

Well said Mouse!

Sisonche, probably the first doctor you could go see is your family doctor. S/he will be able to do your day-3 blood tests for you to check your FSH and other hormones. That could tell you something and help you decide how to proceed.

Also, there are lots of success stories on here from ivf cycles. Search a bit and you will find them. There are fewer iui success stories, because iui is much less effective.

Good luck!
  • MB., CdnHockeyGal, ollie2013 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: baby, fertility doctors