• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 gummybear16

gummybear16
  • 73 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 23 July 2015 - 05:42 PM

Hi! I am starting my patches and orgalutran in a week so it's really happening now!

Just wondering - I am trying to get an understanding of all this before jumping in - after the patch I am to get my period...Will it be like a regular period or lighter? How long can I expect it to be? And when exactly do I start stims - during the period? After it's all done? I can't find any info about it in my paperwork.

Thanks for your help to you veterans!

#2 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 24 July 2015 - 02:00 AM

I think it all depends on your protocol.  For me, I think my stims started CD2 (so when I was still on my period).  You have to call in to your nurse on the first day of your period.  Which clinic are you at?  At Olive, they gave me a calendar and was very detailed about it at my orientation.

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#3 gummybear16

gummybear16
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:00 AM

Thank you for your reply! I am at Genesis. They gave me a calendar but no dates on it for the stim part...they kind of tell me what to do as I go along (so yes I have to call on the first day of my period). So beyond the patch and orgalutran I am not sure what day exactly I am starting my stims. They will let me know but I was just curious because I am a planner and I like to have an idea about when all this will happen!!!

But from what I have read a lot of people start during their period. So that gives me a general idea!

#4 EverHopefull!

EverHopefull!
  • 1000+
  • 1600 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Genesis/VFC

Posted 24 July 2015 - 01:31 PM

You'll probably start stimming during your period.  I have started all mine on day 2 or 3.  There is only a finite period of time to stimulate your ovaries before your body wants to ovulate everything out, so stimming starts pretty quickly after your period.  For me, my period before a cycle is always pretty normal.  It will likely be within whatever your normal level of fluctuation is for duration and flow.  If it's very different and you're worried/curious just ask, the ladies at Genesis are really easy to talk to.  (Hopefully you never need to find out because you conceive the first try smile.png, but it's the period after a cycle that can be a little crazy.) 

For your planning nature, you'll have to do your best to last until day 1!  Once you have that day pinned down Genesis will put dates into your chart so you'll have a good idea what the rest of your timeline will look like.  People usually stim for 10-12 days then trigger.  I stim for 15 or 16 days (I'm a slow grower) so don't be worried if it takes longer than the average 10-12 days.  After your trigger it will be 36 hours until your retrieval.  You'll get a feel for when you might trigger based on how fast your follicles are growing and Dr. K will talk you through that at each of your ultrasounds.  They grow an average of 1-2mm per day (0.7mm per day for me!).  Genesis will walk you through it, it will be easy! 

My advice for working with Dr. K is to always ask for her opinion, good or bad.  She always gave me all the information and then let me make the decisions, but sometimes I wish she'd have been a bit pushier with her opinion.  I had one cycle that she thought we should cancel and thinking back on it she did say that a couple of times, but not strongly enough that I heard her through my emotions.  So I pushed forward and lost everything that cycle.  If I had listened to her from the beginning I could have cancelled that cycle and saved my money so I could do another cycle that may have had a better result.  Again, she did recommend cancelling, but it's easy to get so wrapped up in the moment that you miss the message.  So I asked her to bully me a bit more to make sure I heard what she was saying! 

Good luck!!

TTC since December 2004

One successful IVF

Many, many unsuccessful IF treatments

Finally a successful DE cycle!  babyEver is due July 1st.

#5 gummybear16

gummybear16
  • 73 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 10:17 PM

Thank you for your detailed reply, Everhopeful! That really helps. I know I have to let some stuff go because not everything can be planned too far in advance! I think I'm just anxious, as I am sure you were, to get things rolling :)

And thanks for the info on Dr. K, I will keep that in mind as we go through the process with her. Was your DS conceived with the help of Genesis? Happy to read about your success and I hope you have more success in the future!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: period