• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Marj01

Marj01
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:31 PM

Hi There,

I am new here and new to the IVF journey. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Costco benefit plan in Canada?  They have a plan that covers fertility meds but I'm not sure if it's worth getting or if they have a ton of stipulations and hoops to jump through.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated.  I don't have any other health coverage so I'm looking to try and offset some of the costs with the medication needed.  Thank you all in advance for any help you can give me.

Marj

#2 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:35 PM

Do you already have this plan?

I don't know anything about that plan but - if you or your partner have already been diagnosed with a fertliity issue, all insurances will exclude this pre-existing condition and they won't pay for anything. You'd have to get coverage before you get a diagnosis.

#3 Marj01

Marj01
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 18 July 2015 - 10:45 PM

Yes, I have heard that before, we haven't been really "diagnosed" with anything other than PCOS.  We are electing to do IVF so I think that this would pose an issue as well with a benefit company.  Will probably just go ahead and not worry about looking into the benefits. Thank you for your reply. 

#4 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts

Posted 18 July 2015 - 11:02 PM

Yeah, I think you could just try and see. We applied for coverage before we had any idea that we'd need IF treatments, so it wasn't an issue later on. The PCOS diagnosis might be to be honest, but I'm not sure (we got excluded for the most ridiculous things, that's why I am saying that). Good luck!

#5 nicgro

nicgro
  • Global 100+
  • 173 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 08 August 2015 - 09:27 AM

It never hurts to try, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they put a clause in your coverage excluding fertility meds. I also tried to get coverage before we started IVF and was denied since I already had been diagnosed with PCOS and Endo. Lol, heck, I couldn't get critical illness insurance on my mortgage because I had a lap done for endo lol. Insurance companies are dumb.

Good luck :)

IVF #1

Oct 1, 2014 - 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 5 make it to blast

Oct 6, 2014 - Transfer 1 beautiful 4AA blast and freeze the remaining 4

Oct 15, 2014 - Start bleeding sad.png

Oct 17, 2014 - First Beta = 6   I know it's over, clinic is still trying to be positive

Oct 19, 2014 - Second Beta = 2  BFN

Oct 27, 2014 - Laparoscopy for Endo and ovarian cysts

FET #1

Feb 9, 2015 - Transfer 1 blast...clinic can't tell me the quality...isn't that weird?

Feb 22, 2015 - Beta = BFN sad.png

April 16, 2015 - Surgery to remove multiple uterine fibroids

Aug 24, 2015 - Take 3 month injection of Lupron Depot to try to help with endo pain/bleeding

Nov 24, 2015 - Take another 3 month injection of Lupron Depot

Feb 24, 2016 - Blood work and ultrasound. Was going to start prepping for FET, but thyroid is very low so need to increase meds before transfer

May 2, 2016 - start Estrace to prepare for FET (FET scheduled for May 18)

FET #2

May 18, 2016 - Transfer 1 blast...again not told what quality it is. Lose one blast in the thaw.

May 31, 2016 - BFN - I ask clinic what is going on and why this isn't working. They schedule me for a biopsy and sono.

June 9, 2016 - Biopsy and Sono performed. They find fibroids in my uterus and book surgery.

June 14, 2016 - Surgery to remove uterine fibroids

FET #3

September 20, 2016 - Transfer our final blast...stick baby stick

October 3, 2016 - BFN. I have never felt so broken in my life. Not sure I can continue on this journey, but must make a decision as just hours after getting my BFN, I get a call from my clinic saying that they made an error with my government funding and if I was going to continue, I must pay  everything back!!!

December 8, 2016 - Here we are again! Sono and biopsy to prepare for IVF #2 in January! They see something very small forming in my uterus, not large enough to operate on at this point though.

December 19, 2016 - Start Birth Control to prepare for next cycle.

January 7, 2017 - Have ultrasound done, everything looks good to move forward. Stop BC Pill.

IVF #2

January 23, 2017 - 12 Eggs retrieved, all mature, 7 fertilized

January 28, 2017 - Transfer 1 little 3AB blast, 5 still hanging in there and hope to freeze them tomorrow

#6 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 08 August 2015 - 02:45 PM

It never hurts to try, but I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if they put a clause in your coverage excluding fertility meds. I also tried to get coverage before we started IVF and was denied since I already had been diagnosed with PCOS and Endo. Lol, heck, I couldn't get critical illness insurance on my mortgage because I had a lap done for endo lol. Insurance companies are dumb.

Good luck :)

Hey nicgro - you couldn't get critical illness insurance on your mortgage because it isn't a medically underwritten program. A diagnosis of PCOS & endo (on surface without having any familiarity with your overall health situation) would not prohibit you from obtaining medically underwritten critical illness insurance.
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#7 nicgro

nicgro
  • Global 100+
  • 173 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 08 August 2015 - 03:13 PM

I'm not going to pretend to be an expert about insurance, cause I don't know much of anything. Hell, I don't really even understand what you just said to me lol. All I know is that when we did our mortgage renewal, they asked us to put insurance on it. We did. Life insurance and from what I understand critical illness. The lady at the bank said that someone would be calling us to ask us some medical questions. After spending over an hour on the phone answering questions, I got a letter in the mail. The letter said that I could not be covered because I have endometriosis and that I could reapply if I am symptom free for 2 years. I continued to be charged for the insurance, so I asked the bank lady about it. She told me that I still have life insurance, that it was my critical illness that was denied.

Again, I don't pretend to know anything, I am just going by what I was told.

IVF #1

Oct 1, 2014 - 14 eggs retrieved, 11 mature, 8 fertilized, 5 make it to blast

Oct 6, 2014 - Transfer 1 beautiful 4AA blast and freeze the remaining 4

Oct 15, 2014 - Start bleeding sad.png

Oct 17, 2014 - First Beta = 6   I know it's over, clinic is still trying to be positive

Oct 19, 2014 - Second Beta = 2  BFN

Oct 27, 2014 - Laparoscopy for Endo and ovarian cysts

FET #1

Feb 9, 2015 - Transfer 1 blast...clinic can't tell me the quality...isn't that weird?

Feb 22, 2015 - Beta = BFN sad.png

April 16, 2015 - Surgery to remove multiple uterine fibroids

Aug 24, 2015 - Take 3 month injection of Lupron Depot to try to help with endo pain/bleeding

Nov 24, 2015 - Take another 3 month injection of Lupron Depot

Feb 24, 2016 - Blood work and ultrasound. Was going to start prepping for FET, but thyroid is very low so need to increase meds before transfer

May 2, 2016 - start Estrace to prepare for FET (FET scheduled for May 18)

FET #2

May 18, 2016 - Transfer 1 blast...again not told what quality it is. Lose one blast in the thaw.

May 31, 2016 - BFN - I ask clinic what is going on and why this isn't working. They schedule me for a biopsy and sono.

June 9, 2016 - Biopsy and Sono performed. They find fibroids in my uterus and book surgery.

June 14, 2016 - Surgery to remove uterine fibroids

FET #3

September 20, 2016 - Transfer our final blast...stick baby stick

October 3, 2016 - BFN. I have never felt so broken in my life. Not sure I can continue on this journey, but must make a decision as just hours after getting my BFN, I get a call from my clinic saying that they made an error with my government funding and if I was going to continue, I must pay  everything back!!!

December 8, 2016 - Here we are again! Sono and biopsy to prepare for IVF #2 in January! They see something very small forming in my uterus, not large enough to operate on at this point though.

December 19, 2016 - Start Birth Control to prepare for next cycle.

January 7, 2017 - Have ultrasound done, everything looks good to move forward. Stop BC Pill.

IVF #2

January 23, 2017 - 12 Eggs retrieved, all mature, 7 fertilized

January 28, 2017 - Transfer 1 little 3AB blast, 5 still hanging in there and hope to freeze them tomorrow

#8 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 08 August 2015 - 06:31 PM

Yup - I know but just an FYI that your experience is still not medically underwritten and just want to ensure for future posters/readers are aware that endo (again at surface value without assessing other comorbid conditions) does not prevent them from obtaining medically underwritten coverage.
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: benefits, insurance, medication