• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 rollercoaster

rollercoaster
  • 26 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care

Posted 09 July 2015 - 12:42 PM

Hey! My husband and I are currently preparing for our first cycle of ICSI due to male factor infertility. I am an analyst by profession and am just dying for information. I am the kind of person that doesn't feel in control unless they know the likelyhoods of any outcome. 

I was wondering if anyone has any links or articles or general information that they can share about the success rates, probabilities, or just general information in regards to IVF/ICSI, frozen embyo vs. fresh embryo, diet, exercise habits, 3 day vs 5 day, etc. 

I am hungry for any numbers that I can get that will help us make the important decisions that are rapidly approaching! 

Thanks!! 

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 09 July 2015 - 05:05 PM

Hi roller coaster - good luck with your upcoming cycle! You will find many knowledgeable members here with the same desire for concrete data. Good luck with your research. My only caution would be what you already know to be true with an analytics background...there is a plethora of information available...but learning how to interpret that data and being able to identify the questions that should be asked when looking at various studies (i.e. Controls, intangibles, etc) is a skill acquired only through experience. You will drown in the data as you start researching...but don't forget to ask the qs of the conclusions as you go along. :-)
  • mouse and smurfette_w like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 01:45 AM

Agree with CHG.  A lot of those details can be very general and might not apply to your situation as your cycle goes on and can be age dependent, and it's easy to drown yourself with a lot of information and not being able to sort through it.  This is a good place to start but it's only based on input from this forum's members: https://ivf.ca/forums/page/cyclebase

For example, are you doing PGS testing?  If so, then you almost always have to do an FET.  Some members swear by an FET and others swear by a fresh transfer.  I've done both and have been successful with both.

Do you have male factor issues?  If so, then you'd almost always have to do ICSI.

Long protocol or short protocol?  Well, that depends on your underlying issues.  Generally speaking, most clinics get you to start on the long protocol.

As you go on in your cycle, are your embryos progressing well?  If not, then a Day 3 transfer might be better than Day 5.  But what if you have a lot of embryos and willing to risk it and see if you have anything left for a Day 5 transfer instead? Well, you still might want to do the Day 3 transfer and just see if there is anything to freeze on Day 5/6, or you may want to just wait it out and transfer on Day 5/6 because those tend to be the higher quality embryos and you might be wasting your time with the Day 3 lower quality embryos.

Some clinics may suggest doing a gluten free diet while others don't have those limitations.

Some clinics believe in immune issues and will do intralipids on your cycle while others don't believe in immune issues.

Single or double transfer?  That depends on your risk tolerance and also dependent on the quality of your embryos and what your RE suggests.  There are those who had double transfers and lost them both and others who had double transfers and had twins, and yet others who had only singles with a double transfer.  You'll have to look for those stats, the one on this forum is a bit skewed, I think, because most clinics say the success rate for a singleton with either a single or double transfer is about the same, but there is a lot more risk with a double transfer.  But if you are doing PGS testing, then a single transfer is usually suggested.

I found it was easiest for me to research as my cycle went on, in terms of understanding what the numbers mean (I'm analytical by nature as well).  There were certain limitations due to our issues, so we were stuck with ICSI and PGD testing, which is actually a blessing because there are less decisions to make.  But what made the biggest difference was having done a couple of cycles to understand what really worked for me (totally normal as far as all my blood work showed) and what went a little wrong in my first cycle, but hindsight is 20/20.

Good luck!

• mouse likes this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#4 breezyboo

breezyboo
  • 1000+
  • 1940 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (:
  • My Clinic:Barbados

Posted 10 July 2015 - 09:35 AM

Success rateS vary by clinic and also each couples issues. As far as day 3 vs 5....day 3 transfers are pretty uncommon these days. The usually only do them if you have few embryos. Most embryos will make it to day 3 and can look good but days 3-5 is where you really see which ones are good. Day 5 transfers yield around a 25% higher success rate which is HUGE! http://www.advancedf...gnancyrates.htm

Also, fresh embryo transfers do have higher success 50-80% and frozen 25-50% (again greatly varies by clinic) but there is info coming out showing other advantages to a frozen transfer!

Me: 30Hypothyroid,Endo, MTHFR, elevated Cytokines,TNF 36.8 (13.2-30.6) IFN 27.5(5.8-20.5). 2006-Twin m/c @ 8wks w/ex BF followed by 22 BFN's ... 6 months on clomid & 4 IUI's.Married for 5yrs to the love of my life. We want to make that love childDH: 31 Azoospermia (NOA) FSH 28.3, LH & testosterone levels normal Normal genetics. NOA possibly due to injury when younger.IVF/ICSI Barbados 201312/3-ER! 18 eggs, 12 mature & 10 fertilized!12/8-ET! 2 beautiful beans snuggled into place! 7 snowflakes!12/13- BFP12/17- Beta 9dp5dt 255!12/19 Beta 11dp5dt 392, 13dp5dt 585???12/26 Beta 3,388!1/2 U/S TWINS!! HB's 122& 1211/20 U/S Lost Baby B @ 7-8 weeks. Baby A doing great!IT'S A BOY!!!4/29 @ 6 months our sweet boy became an angel ABSOLUTELY HEARTBROKENFET January 2015 CANCELLED thin lining WTF?FET September 2015 CANCELLED due to a cyst/delayed period...You gotta be kidding me?!FET October 2015 BFNICSI/PGS Banking @ MCRM Feb & May 2016Feb & May 2016= 3 girls & 4 boys
FET October 13 2016 1 PGS normal girl = BFP!!!!! :D

#5 rollercoaster

rollercoaster
  • 26 posts
  • My Clinic:Aurora Reproductive Care

Posted 15 July 2015 - 09:54 AM

Thanks everyone for your responses! I know how easy it is to get locked into "data paralysis" :) I am just looking for more information so that I can go into the trenches armed with the information that I need to make the right decisions or to understand the decisions that are made that are out of my control. 

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: data, success rate, information, probability, rating