- - - - -

Morula Day 5 Transfer - Success Rate?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 25 May 2007 - 05:23 PM

Background - I am 33 my husband is 39 we have a nearly 3 year old daughter conceived naturally. TTC for 21 mos.
My test were all normal. Husband's morphology was very low - 2% then 0% on next test also low motility.
Doctor suggested ICSI as our best shot given morphology issues.
Tried one round IUI - negative
Stim for 13 days then hCG - 22 follicles at retrieval - 22 eggs - 15 mature
11 were ICSI with 10 fertilizing
4 were IVF (just to check if it worked at my request) and 3 fertilized
At day 3 most looked excellent quality and 4 were 7 cell 3 were 6 cell 2 were 5 cell the others were lower count or only "good" quality
At day 5 only 1 blastocyst and it had alot of fragmentation. 6 morulas, others had arrested
Of the morulas 2 were considered "excellent" and one of those were cavitating - those 2 were transfered. The other 4 morulas were considered "good" quality. One of those was considered and excellent quality blastocyst on day 6 and that one was frozen.

My question is on the success rates of morulas at day 5 (given they are a little slow). I find very mixed literature online.

I know it varies by clinic, but in general I would like to know compared to blastocysts. (My clinic has a 62% clinical pregnancy success rate for blastocysts in patients under 35 but I am assuming morulas are much lower.)

Thanks!
Martha

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 28 May 2007 - 02:18 PM

Background - I am 33 my husband is 39 we have a nearly 3 year old daughter conceived naturally. TTC for 21 mos.
My test were all normal. Husband's morphology was very low - 2% then 0% on next test also low motility.
Doctor suggested ICSI as our best shot given morphology issues.
Tried one round IUI - negative
Stim for 13 days then hCG - 22 follicles at retrieval - 22 eggs - 15 mature
11 were ICSI with 10 fertilizing
4 were IVF (just to check if it worked at my request) and 3 fertilized
At day 3 most looked excellent quality and 4 were 7 cell 3 were 6 cell 2 were 5 cell the others were lower count or only "good" quality
At day 5 only 1 blastocyst and it had alot of fragmentation. 6 morulas, others had arrested
Of the morulas 2 were considered "excellent" and one of those were cavitating - those 2 were transfered. The other 4 morulas were considered "good" quality. One of those was considered and excellent quality blastocyst on day 6 and that one was frozen.

My question is on the success rates of morulas at day 5 (given they are a little slow). I find very mixed literature online.

In general terms a morula is just less than a blastocyst in terms of success rate for a given clinic.

I know it varies by clinic, but in general I would like to know compared to blastocysts. (My clinic has a 62% clinical pregnancy success rate for blastocysts in patients under 35 but I am assuming morulas are much lower.)

No, morula success rate would be around 55% in this context.

Good luck!

Peter

Thanks!
Martha

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 151 posts

Posted 05 June 2007 - 05:18 PM

I just wanted to thank you again for helping keep me sane as I had read some really negative things about 5 day morulas.

I finally had my blood test today. It was positive! 14 days past 5 day transfer and my hCG was 738. :banana: They tell me this is good. It is something that every site has listed differently but seems good in general.

Thanks Again,
Martha

#4 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 06 June 2007 - 10:39 AM

I just wanted to thank you again for helping keep me sane as I had read some really negative things about 5 day morulas.

I finally had my blood test today. It was positive! 14 days past 5 day transfer and my hCG was 738. :banana: They tell me this is good. It is something that every site has listed differently but seems good in general.

Thanks Again,
Martha

Congratulations!

Good luck!

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com