7 replies to this topic

#1 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Traveling & Writing
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:MONTREAL

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:14 PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to this site, I found out about it through a friend who had a wonderful experience here and much support.

I feel very alone because I don't really know anyone who can relate to what I'm going through...

Here's my story:

I am 33 years old, and we have a beautiful 2 year old daughter, who we conceinved naturally and effortlessly.

6 months after she was born, we decided we want to go for a big family and tried again. I have had 4 early miscarriages since she was born. 

I decided to seek answers and help, so we started at a fertility clinic here in Montreal. I've done all the tests possible, bloodwork, baseline ultrasound, and HSG...the list goes on. The only thing they found is that i have a low AMH. Apparently that makes me a bad candidate for IVF, and the news alone is devastating to say the least.

I switched doctors and started with a new one who wants to try me on FAMERA & baby asprin. Not really sure how that could help??

Has anyone had success with low AMH and gone on to have a healthy pregnancy? Could that be the cause of my miscarriages? I'm still sort of young lol and really want more children....!!!

I've been so depressed, putting everything off for the past year thinking i'll be pregnant, so i'm in a rut and feel like I need to make some changes in order to shift my focus and be more positive.

REALLY HOPING someone can help me get through this, would love to connect with you lovely ladies and hear your stories and share experiences.

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing from you =))

#2 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:29 PM

Hi & welcome dallz! I'm sorry for the reasons that bring you here but hope you'll find this to be a warm and supportive community as I do.

DOR (low AMH) is such a crummy diagnosis but many women have gone on to success with it. Without knowing your AMH, FSH, E2 I find it extremely surprising your RE is so unwilling to consider IVF. It's true our stats for happy outcomes aren't as rosy and can take longer to baby...given your age...if you have both the emotional & financial resources I would encourage you to seek out an RE willing to work with your diagnosis.

While there certainly is the "time" factor with DOR...if there's one thing I think that's more important than anything else...DO YOUR RESEARCH on where the best clinic to treat you is for you. There is no "one" successful way to treat DOR. Finding the right clinic/protocol for you is critical. Your age works in your favour so while you may have fewer eggs to work with...you should still have quality there.

I've attached some links to threads you might find helpful to read through...

https://ivf.ca/forums...toronto-clinic/

https://ivf.ca/forums...ho-transferred/

https://ivf.ca/forums.../58625-low-amh/

Finally...though DOR is the most likely culprit...after 4 pregnancy losses..has your RE run an RPL? As well...if you are considering IVF you may wish to consider a clinic that will do immune testing to rule out any immunological factors that could be impacting your success.

Best of luck on your journey!
  • dallz likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#3 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 02:45 PM

Thanks so much for your reply =) It's the first one, and i still don't really get this site and how to view replies...lol

I will definitely look into clinis that specialize in this.

I just find there is lacking research in this field and it's so discouraging!

I'll also go through your links, thanks a bunch =)

#4 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 20 June 2015 - 11:34 PM

It's really frustrating...there are many different protocols proposed to treat DOR but no flashing neon sign. Some have had success with low dose stims, some with estrogen priming protocols, micro-flare and/or agonist/antagonist.

I think it kind of boils down to finding something you believe will give you your best chance at success and for us DOR ladies...some months are better than others...so I think there's an element of luck involved too.

Please ask lots & lots of questions on the site...everyone will be happy to help.
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#5 breezyboo

breezyboo
  • 1000+
  • 1940 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (:
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Barbados

Posted 21 June 2015 - 05:07 PM

What was your follicle count? I was told I have low AMH 1-1.2 but I have a follicle count of 18 and got 18 eggs in Ivf. 11 were mature.
Me: 30Hypothyroid,Endo, MTHFR, elevated Cytokines,TNF 36.8 (13.2-30.6) IFN 27.5(5.8-20.5). 2006-Twin m/c @ 8wks w/ex BF followed by 22 BFN's ... 6 months on clomid & 4 IUI's.Married for 5yrs to the love of my life. We want to make that love childDH: 31 Azoospermia (NOA) FSH 28.3, LH & testosterone levels normal Normal genetics. NOA possibly due to injury when younger.IVF/ICSI Barbados 201312/3-ER! 18 eggs, 12 mature & 10 fertilized!12/8-ET! 2 beautiful beans snuggled into place! 7 snowflakes!12/13- BFP12/17- Beta 9dp5dt 255!12/19 Beta 11dp5dt 392, 13dp5dt 585???12/26 Beta 3,388!1/2 U/S TWINS!! HB's 122& 1211/20 U/S Lost Baby B @ 7-8 weeks. Baby A doing great!IT'S A BOY!!!4/29 @ 6 months our sweet boy became an angel ABSOLUTELY HEARTBROKENFET January 2015 CANCELLED thin lining WTF?FET September 2015 CANCELLED due to a cyst/delayed period...You gotta be kidding me?!FET October 2015 BFNICSI/PGS Banking @ MCRM Feb & May 2016Feb & May 2016= 3 girls & 4 boys
FET October 13 2016 1 PGS normal girl = BFP!!!!! :D

#6 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 21 June 2015 - 09:09 PM

An AMH of 1 - 1.2 is still considered a normal AMH...it's at the low end of normal and action should be taken soon...but it's not in DOR range.  Scales can vary...there are a few clinics that will consider anything as low as 0.9 as "normal" but general consensus is that anything under 1.0 is DOR.  0.5 & under is usually very compromised and 0.3 and under is generally considered the most severe.

#7 dallz

dallz
  • 37 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 10:34 AM

Hey! Ok I checked and at my baseline ultrasound in Feb my follicle count was 8 total (3 on one side and 5 on other).

my fsh was 7.4iUs/liter

Estradiol was 220 pmol

and my AMH as of April was 0.38 nanograms

Is this bad? I had one doctor say AMH is low, the other said not to worry it's normal to low. But MR> GOOGLE is scary!!!

My last miscarriage was March, again at 5 weeks like all the others. They had put me on vaginal suppositories for progesterone, and I was severly allergic to all 3 (prometrium, endometrin and crinone). which i found VERY weird since they are all different bases.

I asked my doctor if it's possible to be allergic to progesterone she said no. Again GOOGLE says otherwise.

We are schedule for an insemination nect Tuesday.....I didn't take Femara this month even though I should have, but I was so upset and felt so defeated I wasn't sure if I wanted to even try. But i'm determined. Do you think I can still have a successful pregnancy with these numbers??

Also I will start coq10 tomorrow (my husband is picking it up for me today).

Praying for a miracle here. Im 33 this shouldn't be happening =((((

#8 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 22 June 2015 - 12:35 PM

Really and truly anyone can have a successful pregnancy with luck & a skilled RE.  There are women with undectable levels of AMH that still produce a chromosonally normal egg with both ART or unassisted conception.

Any number should not be taken as it's own isolating value.  They are grey...not black & white...which is to say most numbers aren't "good" or "bad"...they are determinant on a number of different factors.

Your E2 is a little high which is in all likelyhood probably suppressing your FSH to a degree.  Normal values are usually considered to be up to 100.  A quality fertility accupuncturist should be able to help you work on FSH and E2...but remember these are hormones and do fluctuate from month to month.

Your AMH at 0.38 is low and your AFC also supports DOR.  I believe most REs would agree your best chance at pregnancy with with IVF.  

Your age, 33, is in your favour.  Your RE should still be able to find some chromosonally normal egg(s) to work with.  You could also still conceive naturally.

This is a very tough diagnosis and I know we all feel it's unfair and shouldn't be happening.  Your best chances are to read up and inform yourself so that you can partner effectively in your health care decisions.

Best of luck on your journey!

• ollie2013 and dallz like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: ttc, miscarriage, low amh, recurrent loss, support