56 replies to this topic

#26 notthemom

notthemom
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 02 December 2015 - 06:56 PM

thirdtimelucky

Your experience (of feeling like Olive has given up on you) is unfortunate. Should never feel like that...and I hope you have success soon.

In terms of evidence for heparin, this is from UptoDate....(a clinical resource used by HC providers)...

INEFFECTIVE OR UNPROVEN THERAPIES — The following therapies are not supported by data and we do not recommend them.

Aspirin with or without heparin — A large randomized trial found that neither aspirin nor aspirin plus heparin improved the live-birth rate of women with unexplained RPL [47]. In this trial, 364 women with unexplained RPL after a thorough evaluation were randomly assigned to receive daily aspirin (80 mg), aspirin plus nadroparin (2850 international units), or placebo. Aspirin or placebo was begun preconceptionally and nadroparin was started as soon as a viable pregnancy was documented by ultrasound. Among the 299 women who became pregnant, the live-birth rates for combination therapy, aspirin alone, and placebo were not significantly different: 69, 62, and 67 percent, respectively.

Similarly, another trial randomly assigned 294 women with ≥2 consecutive unexplained pregnancy losses at ≤24 weeks to treatment with enoxaparin and low dose aspirin or no treatment; both groups received intensive pregnancy surveillance [48]. Medical therapy did not reduce the rate of pregnancy loss, which was 22 percent with drug treatment and 20 percent without it.

Low-molecular weight heparin — Low-molecular weight heparin (LMWH) is frequently offered to women with unexplained recurrent miscarriage. However, trials show no benefit to LMWH treatment in women without an inherited thrombophilia [49-51]. One double-blind trial randomly assigned 258 pregnant women who had a history of unexplained RPL (two or more consecutive miscarriages before 15 weeks gestation) and a negative thrombophilia work-up to either subcutaneous daily LMWH (enoxaparin 40 mg) or placebo [49]. Enoxaparin treatment did not improve the chance of a live birth. In another trial of 449 women with RPL and no thrombophilia, there were no differences in live birth rates between women randomly assigned to dalteparin 5000 IU daily versus placebo (86 and 87 percent) [50].

• smurfette_w likes this

TTC about a year. First consult @ Olive August 2014. IUI September 2014 no luck. Retrieval and IVF October 2015. Frozen transfer December 2015. Beautiful baby girl (our first) born in August 2015 and we are going back for her siblings. 

How i found this forum....Looking to go back for the next implantation in 2016 and googled the clinic and stumbled on this site. Its possible I have something to add to the discussion.  I'm the dad...wife and I are both in healthcare. Early 30's. 

Excuse the spelling and grammar. 

#27 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

But aside from the miscommunication/mis-understandings (maybe we weren't paying attention and still trying to process the whole experience when we were being counseled), our experience was great. We would (and will be) going back.

Nice spin.

But just to be clear, no-one here is asking for the warm touch: just some medical care and individualized medical care. If everyone wants to pay $7-14K for standard treatment per cycle and a different doctor/nurse who doesn't actually know you from Peter to "take care" of you, then I agree that Olive is the place to go..th_asleep.gif

#28 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 02 December 2015 - 11:08 PM

I am frustrated with the clinic.  I have had two unexplained miscarriages and feel they are washing their hands of me.  My local RE wanted me on Heparin but the clinic insisted I did not need to be on the injections.  I miscarried again and wonder if I had just followed my RE's advice whether the outcome would have been different.  I have only seen my "doctor" at the clinic once in 3 years.  I have had to request follow up appointments and initial testing. 

Not surprised but so sorry about your experience.. take care of yourself and hope you find better medical care in future. Babies is not a business...

#29 thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • 24 posts
  • Interests:Pets, Reading, Music, Travel, Camping
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Centre in Vancouver

Posted 03 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

Thank you for the information.  It seems like its hard to know.  I have heard from people with unexplained recurrent miscarriage that this is what worked for them.  Would it work for me hard to say.  I just wish I had answers

• notthemom likes this
Me: 38Hubby: 36(9 year old stepdaughter and 4 furbabies)DX: DOR (High FSH, low AFC (less than 4) and low AMH (0.5)June 2013-IUI th_abfn.gifNovember 2013-IVF#1 5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, transferred 2 poor quality embryos on Day 2, th_abfp.gif  but slooooowwww rising betas, 8388.gif December 2013, moving on to DEJanuary 2014-IVF#2, 5 frozen eggs, 4 fertilized, 3dt of 1 6 cell and 1 8 cell, nothing to freeze.   Beta 1-314, Beta 2- 4940!!! Spontaneous miscarriage 6w68388.gifOctober 2015-IVF#3, New Donor, 7 frozen eggs, 6 fertilized and 6 good quality blasts.  5dt of 1 blast (4ab).  th_abfp.gif Beta 1-589.6banana.gif . Another miscarriage!!! So devastated

#30 alemia

alemia
  • 37 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 03 December 2015 - 03:24 PM

Hi, I went to Olive w/Dr H after reading good reviews. My experience has been disappointing - someone told me he posts on this forum. Does anyone think there is a chance he will respond to my questions here?

Have you tried emailing him directly? Usually when I have questions I just email my doctor or their nurses and they get back to me within a day. When you try to post them questions on a public forum where they volunteer their time here, you might not get your response.

Hi, yes I had last week. Fortuitously Dr H got back to me so awaiting our talk now,

#31 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

I am frustrated with the clinic.  I have had two unexplained miscarriages and feel they are washing their hands of me.  My local RE wanted me on Heparin but the clinic insisted I did not need to be on the injections.  I miscarried again and wonder if I had just followed my RE's advice whether the outcome would have been different.  I have only seen my "doctor" at the clinic once in 3 years.  I have had to request follow up appointments and initial testing. 

I am sorry you are having a hard time of it.  It is particularly difficult when you feel you've done everything right and still haven't had your little miracle.  I understand your frustration, different set of circumstances but still no baby either.  When I felt the way you do, I just said to Dr T, this is what we are doing next time and if you aren't going to do it, I'm going somewhere else.  She was 100% on board.  I hope you have expressed this to your Dr, then you know you have tried everything you know to try.

Jaya - I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience also.  I hope you can find a clinic that you are happy with and that you have success in your journey.  

• Jaya likes this

#32 thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 12:16 PM

I am sorry you are having a hard time of it.  It is particularly difficult when you feel you've done everything right and still haven't had your little miracle.  I understand your frustration, different set of circumstances but still no baby either.  When I felt the way you do, I just said to Dr T, this is what we are doing next time and if you aren't going to do it, I'm going somewhere else.  She was 100% on board.  I hope you have expressed this to your Dr, then you know you have tried everything you know to try.

Jaya - I'm sorry you had such a terrible experience also.  I hope you can find a clinic that you are happy with and that you have success in your journey.  

Thank you very much.  I find it overwhelming to hear two different opinions...one from my local RE and one from the Olive doctor.   I have told my local RE who works with the clinic that he is calling the shots on this next cycle.  I have been seeing him for 3 years and he knows my case very well and I would prefer if he make the decisions instead of the clinic doctor.  If they are not supportive of what my next steps are I will be looking into VFC.  They seem much more focused on potential immune related issues.  I am very tired of being on this journey and I think fertility clinics need to really focus more on the mental and emotional aspect of this especially for those who have had failed cycles/recurrent losses

Me: 38Hubby: 36(9 year old stepdaughter and 4 furbabies)DX: DOR (High FSH, low AFC (less than 4) and low AMH (0.5)June 2013-IUI th_abfn.gifNovember 2013-IVF#1 5 eggs retrieved, 3 mature, 2 fertilized with ICSI, transferred 2 poor quality embryos on Day 2, th_abfp.gif  but slooooowwww rising betas, 8388.gif December 2013, moving on to DEJanuary 2014-IVF#2, 5 frozen eggs, 4 fertilized, 3dt of 1 6 cell and 1 8 cell, nothing to freeze.   Beta 1-314, Beta 2- 4940!!! Spontaneous miscarriage 6w68388.gifOctober 2015-IVF#3, New Donor, 7 frozen eggs, 6 fertilized and 6 good quality blasts.  5dt of 1 blast (4ab).  th_abfp.gif Beta 1-589.6banana.gif . Another miscarriage!!! So devastated

#33 RoomWithoutARoof

RoomWithoutARoof
  • Global 100+
  • 585 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 01:07 PM

Hi thirdtimelucky

We also have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility and Olive recommended aspirin as well as heparin injections. Both the aspirin cycle and the heparin/aspirin cycle did not work out, so I wouldn't say that it's a magic pill. Also I didn't have to work very hard to get Olive on board with the injections - in fact, they suggested it.

I will be consulting with VFC in the coming year not because I'm unhappy with Olive's service, but because they are at the end of ideas of what to do with my next cycle (if I do one).

Thank you very much.  I find it overwhelming to hear two different opinions...one from my local RE and one from the Olive doctor.   I have told my local RE who works with the clinic that he is calling the shots on this next cycle.  I have been seeing him for 3 years and he knows my case very well and I would prefer if he make the decisions instead of the clinic doctor.  If they are not supportive of what my next steps are I will be looking into VFC.  They seem much more focused on potential immune related issues.  I am very tired of being on this journey and I think fertility clinics need to really focus more on the mental and emotional aspect of this especially for those who have had failed cycles/recurrent losses

Be an Ova-Achiever! Emoticons09757.gif

March 2014 - Cancelled IVF, 21 eggs retrieved, 8 frozen

July 10, 2014 - FET#1 ended in miscarriage cry.gif

Dec 15, 2014 - FET#2 ended in miscarriage cry.gif

July 13, 2015 - FET#3 - BFN

#34 Brokenhearted

Brokenhearted
  • Global 100+
  • 497 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

I really don't think you will have a problem getting Olive to agree to what you want to do this next cycle, if you decide to go with them.  I wrote Dr T a long email explaining to her what I wanted to do in my 2nd ivf, even though it went against their clinic policies.  I just felt that as a paying patient, I felt that I should have way more say about it, and that ultimately it's my money, my eggs, my husbands sperm and my embryos, therefore I have a voice.  She said she heard me "loud and clear", lol.  But you are right that if you do not feel 100% supported, go somewhere else.  You will always regret not listening to your inner voice.  I wish you the best of luck.

#35 thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 December 2015 - 05:11 PM

Thank you for the input.  I appreciate it

#36 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 05 December 2015 - 12:27 AM

I know Olive is supportive of different ideas as well, as I know someone on this forum who requested a natural FET against her RE's suggestion but her RE went ahead with her request (ended as a chemical), so it is important to voice your opinion to your RE.

• gibasgirl likes this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#37 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 12 December 2015 - 01:13 PM

Hi thirdtimelucky

We also have been diagnosed with unexplained infertility and Olive recommended aspirin as well as heparin injections. Both the aspirin cycle and the heparin/aspirin cycle did not work out, so I wouldn't say that it's a magic pill. Also I didn't have to work very hard to get Olive on board with the injections - in fact, they suggested it.

I will be consulting with VFC in the coming year not because I'm unhappy with Olive's service, but because they are at the end of ideas of what to do with my next cycle (if I do one).

Please keep us posted. I finished my consults with Olive, will be looking for another clinic in the New Year.

#38 thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Hi Jaya

sorry to hear that the heparin did not work for you.  I am now leaning towards surrogacy.  I am having a endometrial receptive assay done but really don't expect it to reveal anything.  I am tired of the tests and not knowing what is wrong so I would prefer to try my luck with a surrogate who has proven her body can successfully carry a pregnancy.  My mental health cant take much more so this seems like the best option for me

#39 alemia

alemia
  • 37 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:12 PM

thirdtimelucky - hang in there...and very sorry to hear of the heartache.

Jaya, can you let me know what you find with other clinics.

I am still waiting for my appointment and it was supposed to be this weekend, but the time got pushed out. I had to fight to get an alternate time, even though I wasn't the one who changed the original appointment.

It's starting to feel more and more like the doctors don't really care - I'm quite sad about the whole affair, but will see what he has to say this weekend.

Blessings to you all.

#40 RoomWithoutARoof

RoomWithoutARoof
  • Global 100+
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:15 AM

Hi Jaya

sorry to hear that the heparin did not work for you.  I am now leaning towards surrogacy.  I am having a endometrial receptive assay done but really don't expect it to reveal anything.  I am tired of the tests and not knowing what is wrong so I would prefer to try my luck with a surrogate who has proven her body can successfully carry a pregnancy.  My mental health cant take much more so this seems like the best option for me

Hi thirdtimelucky
I am also in the unknown IF diagnosis and have never had an endometrial receptivity assay done. What does that do for you? Will you need to test your endometrium for receptivity during your next transfer?

We are also considering surrogacy but I want to make sure all my bases are covered before moving on. I hear you about being tired about tests and having your mental health suffer. I have been off IF drugs for three months now and I can't believe how different I was acting and feeling on drugs and off.

I hope that 2016 will bring some relief and have some happy surprises for you.

#41 RoomWithoutARoof

RoomWithoutARoof
  • Global 100+
  • 585 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

I am still waiting for my appointment and it was supposed to be this weekend, but the time got pushed out. I had to fight to get an alternate time, even though I wasn't the one who changed the original appointment.

It's starting to feel more and more like the doctors don't really care - I'm quite sad about the whole affair, but will see what he has to say this weekend.

Blessings to you all.

Hi alemia

I'm sorry you're not getting the service and appointments that you wanted. I always thought that going to a private clinic would mean better service, but unfortunately it's the same as public health care. Keep fighting for you appointments! As someone else said, the squeeky wheel thing really works.

Did you get a chance to talk to your RE?

I will be checking out VFC at the end of Jan and will keep you posted.

Enjoy your Christmas break!
  • alemia likes this

#42 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:05 PM

Hi Jaya

thirdtimelucky - I wish the best for you, keep us posted on how things go..I've also tried twice, and if it fails a third, would probably also look at surrogacy.

#43 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:07 PM

Yes, of course, I would be happy to. I'm going to consult with PCRM, Genesis and possibly even VFC as they seem to have such rave reviews on the forum.

Merry Christmas to all you Ladies

• alemia likes this

#44 thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

Thank you very much.  hope all the best for you in 2016 as well

#45 thirdtimelucky

thirdtimelucky
  • 24 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

Room without a roof....

The test is to confirm whether your uterus is receptive and on what day.  The transfer may not be happening on the day that my uterus is most receptive so this test is supposed to help determine that.  I will talk the estrogen and progesterone and then on the day they were to do the transfer they do a biopsy and send off.   If there appears to be an issue I'm told they run the test again.  I am going forward with the test although I am committed to surrogacy.  Im doing this in case something doesn't work out with our surrogate and I have to do another cycle on my own.

#46 RoomWithoutARoof

RoomWithoutARoof
  • Global 100+
  • 585 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:47 PM

Room without a roof....

The test is to confirm whether your uterus is receptive and on what day.  The transfer may not be happening on the day that my uterus is most receptive so this test is supposed to help determine that.  I will talk the estrogen and progesterone and then on the day they were to do the transfer they do a biopsy and send off.   If there appears to be an issue I'm told they run the test again.  I am going forward with the test although I am committed to surrogacy.  Im doing this in case something doesn't work out with our surrogate and I have to do another cycle on my own.

Interesting test, is it expensive? I haven't been offered this so I'm curious if I should suggest it to my RE.

#47 alemia

alemia
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 02:57 PM

Yes, of course, I would be happy to. I'm going to consult with PCRM, Genesis and possibly even VFC as they seem to have such rave reviews on the forum.

Hi..

I spoke to my doctor (Dr H), he was very supportive and even had his nursing team call me this year. I'm inclined to try another cycle with Olive. (This will be my second cycle and the first was very unsuccessful)

I am hoping that my doctor and clinic will have a better plan for me after the failing of the first.

How are your consults going with other clinics?

#48 alemia

alemia
  • 37 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 03:04 PM

Blessings to you all.

Hi alemia
I'm sorry you're not getting the service and appointments that you wanted. I always thought that going to a private clinic would mean better service, but unfortunately it's the same as public health care. Keep fighting for you appointments! As someone else said, the squeeky wheel thing really works.
Did you get a chance to talk to your RE?
I will be checking out VFC at the end of Jan and will keep you posted.
Enjoy your Christmas break!

It's improving a lot...I think the doctor was just very busy over that period. And when we spoke, he took time to explain that maybe my next treatment will benefit from learnings from first....I'm hopeful that this time is going to be the charm.

Good luck with VFC, there's so much good stuff on them from these Boards...I'm hoping Olive is the same... :-)

All the best to YOU and your dreams in 2016
  • RoomWithoutARoof likes this

#49 RoomWithoutARoof

RoomWithoutARoof
  • Global 100+
  • 585 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 05:20 PM

Thanks alemia,My appointment with VFC is coming up soon, so I'm hoping they will be able to figure out something! I hope your RE figures out a better protocol for you. I'm hoping 2016 will be the year for you! 

#50 Jaya

Jaya
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 09:30 PM

Hi..

I spoke to my doctor (Dr H), he was very supportive and even had his nursing team call me this year. I'm inclined to try another cycle with Olive. (This will be my second cycle and the first was very unsuccessful)

I am hoping that my doctor and clinic will have a better plan for me after the failing of the first.

How are your consults going with other clinics?

I'm meeting with Genesis and PRCRM next week so will PM you once done. :)