Posted 30 May 2015 - 07:34 AM
I know you posted this in the "Ask the RE" section, but since you also asked for input/advice/stories I thought I would give you my experience.
Firstly, congratulations on your pregnancy!
I also had DOR and poor response. I was a few years older than you, but when my bloodwork results came back, the risk of DS was given to me as 1/1,400. When I talked to my OB he said he didn't think any other testing was necessary, but because I was over 35 I could have an amnio if I wanted. He said I did need to know that the risk of miscarriage with an amnio was about 1 in 200. That is small but he said the risk of miscarrying a genetically normal baby due to the amnio was much higher than the risk of the baby having DS (based on my nuchal ultrasound and blood results).
Even before talking to him, I knew that I wouldn't be able to go through with an amnio unless I knew there was a high probability that there was a problem. That was just my personal feeling and what was right for me - it doesn't mean it is the right choice for you. There are also a lot of things that even an amnio will never be able to detect - things such as autism that aren't even apparent until the child is older.
Having said all that, I had already decided I did want to do the NIPT. It was expensive ($800), but it put my mind at ease.
One other thing - I haven't heard of anyone paying for an amnio, so they are likely all OHIP covered, but I do remember my doctor did mention that I could go ahead and have one if wanted, even though my testing was normal because I was over 35. He said at under 35 they are done if the testing comes back abnormal, but at over 35 I had the option to have an amnio if I wanted one even though my testing was normal. NIPT is also now covered by OHIP ONLY IF your initial testing screens positive.
It is a personal decision with no right option for everyone - it will depend on you and what you feel is best for you.
I wish you all the best with your pregnancy.
Me: 40 = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR
DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis
Started TTC#1 January 2010
2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response
2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF. Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that. I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom). Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1
2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI). Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day. 3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied. Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)
2013 - Switch clinics
Office hysteroscopy = all clear
IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol. 4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation. Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)
Slow response as usual
Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).
ER: 6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature
Fert report: 5 of 6 eggs immature. 2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)
ET: Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell
11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65
16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)
7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141
12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good. Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400
Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!
EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)
However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks. After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home. We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.