normal TSH but low t3 and t4? Would love some help - Ask the Naturopathic Physician - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

normal TSH but low t3 and t4? Would love some help

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 atalanta

atalanta
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 28 May 2015 - 01:56 PM

Dr. Fiona,

I haven't been on the forum for years (since the birth of my daughter) and you were such a great help last time.  We are starting to consider trying for a second baby so I just went through a checkup with my doctor.  My thyroid levels came back and I'm confused.  I would love some advice. 

My TSH is 1.21.  So that seems good.

My Free T4 is 11.3.  Which is normal but low.

My free T3 is 3.03.  Too low. 

The  Thyroid Peroxidase antibody is 13.  

I definitely have issues with fatigue, muscle soreness/weakness.   The doc gave me a prescription for synthroid but I am hesitant to take it because I've read horrible things about side effects and am trying to get more healthy not less!

I would really appreciate your thoughts on these numbers and any options I might have.  I don't have my numbers from the first time around so can't compare. 

I thank you so much in advance.

#2 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 17 August 2015 - 02:12 PM

Hello Atalanta, 

It looks as if your body is not producing enough thyroid hormone, and the pituitary is downregulating production. I would ask to have reverse T3 checked. I would guess that it might be high. The ratio of free T3 to reverse T3 should be 20 or above.

The main causes of low T3/high reverse T3 are insulin resistance, inflammation, or stress. You may want to have your adrenals checked though a 4 point salivary cortisol test. 

If you try synthroid, be sure to add zinc and selenium, to help with conversion of T4 to T3. 

http://drfionand.com...function-women/

Hope this was helpful! 

Dr. Fiona

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218