• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 hopefulwhishes

hopefulwhishes
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 10 April 2007 - 10:06 PM

Great to see he has his own forum now! :)

I have worked with his clinic before and am just starting my second surrogacy with him.

HopefulWishes
GS~ 2008
GS~ 2010
GS~ 2012

GS~ 2013

#2 Sally

Sally

Proud Canadian!

• Non-Active
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 14 April 2007 - 12:09 AM

I have heard nothing but wonderful things about this doctor and his clinic!

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 16 October 2007 - 06:44 PM

:lol: For real I'm with this Doc to Awsome small world I just did IVF transfer on the 12th dying to do a HPT my real test is shed for the 26th OMG cant wait....

#4 hopefulwhishes

hopefulwhishes
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts

Posted 25 October 2007 - 12:49 PM

Good Luck!

we had a + our first transfer!

HopefulWishes
GS~ 2008
GS~ 2010
GS~ 2012

GS~ 2013

#5 mandy*dandy*

mandy*dandy*
  • 35 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 08:36 PM

Yup, Dr. D is GREAT! He got me preggers 1st try with both embryos taking, yes twins!

I like him alot, his new clinic is very modern, he takes care of his clients and he gets the job done. His sucess rate is high, and he is aggressive which probably is what ups his sucess rates.

I hear he's a bit more expensive than other docs, but I would go back there in a heartbeat.

Though his staff....well, they continue to need improvement...only time will tell how they make out.
Wife and Mom
EDx2
GSx2

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 05:03 PM

Hi there. I haven't gont to Repromed, but I do see a clinic downstairs from it. Toronto West Clinic with Dr Ryan.

I have gone up to Repromed on the weekends when my doc is closed. I am curious about Dr D's success rates. Anyone know what they are??

Someone mentioned he's abit more expensive, How much did you pay?? Abit more money is worth it if his success rates are higher. Too bad the ivf clinics can't give a money back guarantee! lol!

#7 mandy*dandy*

mandy*dandy*
  • 35 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 06:14 PM

I'm not sure, about the cost, but he is a bit more expensive than some other clinics, I found his sucess rate to be quiet good, then again, I don't have all the stats. Someone told me 80% for surrogates, but I guess all that would depend on the situation, diagnosis, etc. It couldn't hurt to call them and ask.

I know a bunch of surrogates who are just newly pregnant or have gotton pregnant in the last 6 months. It seems to go in waves, strange eh? But there can be a bunch of us with negs. and then a bunch with ++s. He is more aggressive however than most doctors out there. I do know that, maybe that's why his stats are so high. People fly all over the country to go to him, I know quite a few who fly in from BC and Alberta to see him.
Wife and Mom
EDx2
GSx2

#8 hopefulwhishes

hopefulwhishes
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

Like the poster above stated He does have good success with surrogates, as for couples..The ones I know who have used him have gotten pregnant too..one was even 42 with her own eggs. He has a very busy clinic.

He is one of those Res who changes up his protocol if it is not working, He takes the time to explain things to you so you understand..

It seems like his staff turnover has made things a bit better in the way of organization.

I would check him out, I know myself if I were ever to do IVF again.. I would only be willing to go through his clinic.

HopefulWishes
GS~ 2008
GS~ 2010
GS~ 2012

GS~ 2013

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1979 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 04:23 PM

thanks for the reply. Hopefully I won't have to consider another clinic but its good to know about this one just in case.

#10 IVFWarrior

IVFWarrior
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Create

Posted 25 July 2008 - 02:27 PM

I have being going to Dr. DV since January and nothing but positive things. It is more of a 'boutique' clinic versus a big, hospital affiliated clinic. Everything is on site. B/c he runs the show and is busy in the ER, your scheduled appointments with him to review protocol usually run really late. Be prepared for this. The first few gimes it really pissed me off -- now I deal with it b/c if I was the woman in the ER, I would want him to focus on me during my retrivals/transfers! The nurses are great too. Are prompt in getting back to you with questions or updates to your dosages.

My only negative is that one of the receptionists is not very pleasent (but the other one - Julie - is awesome). Maybe I catch this other gal on the wrong days, but she always appears ticked off, not eager to help you, never smiles. I would expect the people that greet the patients everyday to have a better attitude. Is this too much to ask?

Other than this, my experiences are positive....well, as positive as they can be while you are going thru IUI's and IVF's!
Me: 38 DH: 40
Diagnosis: PCOS, Endo & Unicornuate Uterus 
Cycle 1: IUI #1 Jan 2008 BFN
Cycle 2: IUI #2 March 2008 BFN
Cycle 3: IUI #3 May 2008 BFN
Cycle 4: IVF #1 Aug 2008 BFN
Cycle 5: FET #1 Oct 2008: BFN
Cycle 6: IVF #2 Feb 2009: BFN
Cycle 7: IVF #3 June 2009: BFN
Cycle 8: FET #2 Sept 2009: BFN
Cycle 9: IVF #4 Dec 2009. BFN
Cycle 10:IVF #5 April 2010 with surro BFN
Cycle 11:FET #3 May 2010 with surro BFN Time to move onto to DE..... 
Cycle 12: IVF #6 Sept 2010 BFP!
#1 Beta - 750; #2 Beta - 2,239; #3 Beta - 6,008; #4 Beta - 23,135
6w4d - Twins! Baby A 108bpm & Baby B 110bpm!
7w5d - Baby A no heart beat & Baby B 145bpm.
Our baby boy born May 2011 tipping the scales at 5lbs 8oz - a tiny peanut!  

Cycle 13: FET #4 Feb 2013 - BFN 

Cycle 14: FET #5 April 2013 - 1 blast transferred April 2.  BFP!
Beta#1 - 159;  #2 - 294; #3 - 666; #4 - 2,419
Due December 20 with another BOY!

6ecUm4.png

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 July 2008 - 10:09 PM

I was initially impressed with this this doc & clinic but after being with this clinic nearly 1 year, two failed IUIs, and IVF with BFP then early miscarriage, I was tired of waiting, the unfriendly receptionist (kathleen - it was a hit or miss day), we decided to get a second opinion. Boy are we glad .....he missed something very basic in the lab results which likely affected the IVF outcome. Yup we pissed after spending $20K. The other clinic Doc caught the lab result oversight.

If you're happy with Repromed great, but no one and nothing is perfect. It's worth to have a second opinion.

#12 IVFWarrior

IVFWarrior
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts

Posted 30 July 2008 - 02:18 PM

Yes, Kathleen is the unfriendly receptionist I was referring to. And yes, I am already on a waiting list for a 2nd opinion. Thanks for the advice.

6ecUm4.png

#13 hopefulwhishes

hopefulwhishes
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts

Posted 04 August 2008 - 08:12 PM

It's kind of sad reading these comments about Dr.D

I have been with his clinic for 4 cycles and am just in the process of cycling agian and never have an issue with Dr.D as a RE.. he was very open minded and when things were not working he was changing up our protocols and very accomadating with our schedules.

Also as regards to the ED, I think Dr.D is pretty honest but never pushed ED or agencies on my IPS

Sorry some have had a bad experience, I for one would not work with any other dr or trust any other dr. the way I do him.

HopefulWishes
GS~ 2008
GS~ 2010
GS~ 2012

GS~ 2013

#14 Nickster

Nickster

Honorary PhD

• 698 posts
  • Interests:community theatre, gardening and our never-ending home renovations
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:formerly Repromed; now Create

Posted 08 August 2008 - 09:01 AM

DanielleD - I was reading your post on the August cycle buddies forum and noticed you were with Repromed; same as me. I was going to respond to you there to ask your opinion about the clinic, as you're slightly further along than me (I'm starting my Lupron 8/13 with ER planned 9/03). I can't thank you enough for your post here - I was feeling the same way about Kathleen and wondering if it was just me that she had a problem with LOL!!!. She just has this way of making you feel like you're bothering her, simply by being there. Julie is WONDERFUL - always greets you with a smile and is very patient. Dr. D himself has been great - no messing about and very aggressive in our treatment, so I have a lot of confidence in him (wow - met him in June and already onto IVF in Aug!! he's not wasting time with my age!!! :) ).

While I find the staff to be great (with the one exception :) ), DH & I have had some concerns with lack of communication. It's been a lot of little things, that add up; missing blood results, calling in scripts that were already provided by the doc; drugs prescribed that aren't listed on the protocol, etc. The one thing that really had me concerned, was that I was given my protocol sheet for the IVF without any consultation; I had to ask if they had info on the procedures which they then produced. It's kinda been "ok - you're going to do IVF, go get $6k worth of meds and see you in August" LOL. Still have a lot of unanswered questions and it's stressful. We're supposed to have a sit down with Dr. D on Wed, so we can get it all sorted out.

Overall, the care there has been great so far, but there's a few wrinkles to sort through. We aren't difficult people (LOL - it must sound like we are :) ) but I think sometimes they lose sight that this is all foreign to us and we just want to know what we're getting into before we're too far along. I guess my only advice to newcomers to the clinic would be to ask lots of questions and don't give up until you feel you have all the info you need.

I'll post on the cycle buddies list and look forward to hearing about your progress so I know what to expect!!

Nickster
Me (Nicki) 44 DH (Kevin) 45
2 furbabies in heaven in '09..I miss you both
Welcomed our new furbaby, Angus 12/09 2nd furbaby, Kismet (aka Haz-Mat) adopted 2/10
Married 1999; Natural pg 2003; m/c 6 weeks
IVF#1: Agonist Protocol, full ICSI & AH
ER 9/06/08: 5 retrieved, 4 fertilized ET 9/09/08:(3) 8 cell embies
Beta 9/23/08 195 Beta 9/25 439
1st u/s 10/08 Non-viable pg @ 6 weeks (again at 6th week...hmmm....)
Nov/Dec: Flottila of tests requested by us to help rule out reasons for m/c; awaiting results.
May 2009: moved to new clinic; awaiting more test results before deciding how to proceed. Tick tock...
July 2009: AMH 18.8, FSH 7; all looks good BUT my eggs are still old. Time is precious, moving on to DE.
Sept 2009: Donor selected at last!
DER est. 11/24; ET 11/27
11/16/09: donor not responding well to stims. Sigh. What now??
11/17/09: 1st set of IP's going exclusive; we're sitting on the curb.
12/07/09: found a new donor (whew). Cycling in Feb 2010?
2/27/10: CD2 check done; DE retrieval est. 3/16/10...here we go again!
3/14/10: Donor triggering; ER 3/16, ET 3/19
3/17/10: (shared cycle) 12 retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized. Four??!!!! Thud.
3/19/10: ET (2) 8 cells 'Laurel & Hardy'; (1) 9 cell frozen.
HPT's all negative. Beta Good Friday 4/02 BFN.
Next step is FET with our lone frostie. Not optimistic. Sigh.
6/21/10: Took an emotional break and feeling better. Will try our FET in late summer and then we're done. But it's all good now :)

RIP, Dad 3/30/10. I'm glad you're no longer in pain but my heart aches.

#15 IVFWarrior

IVFWarrior
  • Global 100+
  • 234 posts

Posted 08 August 2008 - 03:42 PM

DanielleD - I was reading your post on the August cycle buddies forum and noticed you were with Repromed; same as me. I was going to respond to you there to ask your opinion about the clinic, as you're slightly further along than me (I'm starting my Lupron 8/13 with ER planned 9/03). I can't thank you enough for your post here - I was feeling the same way about Kathleen and wondering if it was just me that she had a problem with LOL!!!. She just has this way of making you feel like you're bothering her, simply by being there. Julie is WONDERFUL - always greets you with a smile and is very patient. Dr. D himself has been great - no messing about and very aggressive in our treatment, so I have a lot of confidence in him (wow - met him in June and already onto IVF in Aug!! he's not wasting time with my age!!! :) ).

While I find the staff to be great (with the one exception :) ), DH & I have had some concerns with lack of communication. It's been a lot of little things, that add up; missing blood results, calling in scripts that were already provided by the doc; drugs prescribed that aren't listed on the protocol, etc. The one thing that really had me concerned, was that I was given my protocol sheet for the IVF without any consultation; I had to ask if they had info on the procedures which they then produced. It's kinda been "ok - you're going to do IVF, go get $6k worth of meds and see you in August" LOL. Still have a lot of unanswered questions and it's stressful. We're supposed to have a sit down with Dr. D on Wed, so we can get it all sorted out.

Overall, the care there has been great so far, but there's a few wrinkles to sort through. We aren't difficult people (LOL - it must sound like we are :) ) but I think sometimes they lose sight that this is all foreign to us and we just want to know what we're getting into before we're too far along. I guess my only advice to newcomers to the clinic would be to ask lots of questions and don't give up until you feel you have all the info you need.

I'll post on the cycle buddies list and look forward to hearing about your progress so I know what to expect!!

Nickster

Hi Nickster --

Welcome to IVF and Dr. DV. I really like Dr. DV and the clinic overall-- except for Kathleen - she needs a serious attitude adjustment. B/c I am so hormonal, there have been times where I wanted to scream at her and tell her to trying cracking a smile for once. Anyways, I have learned to deal with her...or not...I always wait for Julie to return to the desk!

You are right that Julie is super. She told me about a discount pharmacy. My first tip to you, do NOT buy your drugs from the clinic as they mark up a lot. There is a place near Dufferin/Steeles that sells the exact same drugs at a discount. The pharmacist went through IVF and now sells the fertility drugs cheaper. It is called Glen Shields Pharmacy. Here is the website: http://glenshieldspharmacy.com/

I had the nurse call in my entire list of drugs and went to pick them all up -- Lupron, Menopur, Puregon. Same as you I think. The Lupron gave me killer headaches. And the Menopur/Puregon make me tired and bloated -- a great combo:) They also recommend I drink Gatorade and Ensure (meal replacement drink) b/c of the electrolyes. Appartently you can get dehydrated b/c a lot of fluid is required to make the follicles grow.

As for poor communication, I have not run into this like you have - to that extent. I would question them foresure though -- you are paying a lot f $$ and should expect them to have their shit together!

When I first got my protocol and started the pill, I did find it odd that they would not take me & DH through the entire process end to end before starting me on the pill -- allowing me/DH to decide if you even wanted to start the process at all! I did feel like "take the pill for a month and then call us....". However, with that said, I found the one on one session with Dr. DV really informative. He took his time explaining everything. We took in a long list of questions for him too. I would recommend that. Knowledge is power as they say.

Since I have gotten into the thick of it, the communication between me and the clinic is frequent. I have an assigned nurse (Karina -- she is great) who calls and/or emails me with updates, etc. I had a lot of questions in the beginning and she was quick to respond to me.

I have my last injections tomorrow and my retrival is Monday -- I am freaked out but excited!

I hope this is helpful! I can pass along other tips -- especially after the retrival!

6ecUm4.png

#16 Guest_moon_angels_*

Guest_moon_angels_*
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:11 PM

Nickster

Hello!!

I have made my first appointment with Repromed. Which one is Kathleen so I know what to expect. :P

#17 Nickster

Nickster

Honorary PhD

• 698 posts
  • Interests:community theatre, gardening and our never-ending home renovations
  • My Clinic:formerly Repromed; now Create

Posted 27 September 2008 - 01:19 PM

Hmmm...reading over this early early post, I feel it isn't really representative of how I feel about the clinic now. In fairness, a lot of what I was experiencing was newbie angst :) ...as you can probably see! Is this your first go-around at IVF? If so and you're feeling like I was, ask as many questions of them as you see fit - once you let them know you have questions they are very open to answering all of them. Feel free to pm me with any questions about them too; glad to help.

K. has pulled up her socks of late, so I wouldn't worry overmuch about her. DH & I did have our sitdown with Dr DV and he addressed all our concerns, including our perception of her attitude (it turns out we weren't the only ones telling him this) and it appears he must have discussed this with her as she has been quite friendly the last few weeks.

Overall, I think you're going to have a great experience at this clinic. The nurses, techs and embryologist are all wonderful, supportive people and Dr DV - well either he's lucky or he's good but he got me pg on the first try :)!!

Good luck!

N.
Me (Nicki) 44 DH (Kevin) 45
2 furbabies in heaven in '09..I miss you both
Welcomed our new furbaby, Angus 12/09 2nd furbaby, Kismet (aka Haz-Mat) adopted 2/10
Married 1999; Natural pg 2003; m/c 6 weeks
IVF#1: Agonist Protocol, full ICSI & AH
ER 9/06/08: 5 retrieved, 4 fertilized ET 9/09/08:(3) 8 cell embies
Beta 9/23/08 195 Beta 9/25 439
1st u/s 10/08 Non-viable pg @ 6 weeks (again at 6th week...hmmm....)
Nov/Dec: Flottila of tests requested by us to help rule out reasons for m/c; awaiting results.
May 2009: moved to new clinic; awaiting more test results before deciding how to proceed. Tick tock...
July 2009: AMH 18.8, FSH 7; all looks good BUT my eggs are still old. Time is precious, moving on to DE.
Sept 2009: Donor selected at last!
DER est. 11/24; ET 11/27
11/16/09: donor not responding well to stims. Sigh. What now??
11/17/09: 1st set of IP's going exclusive; we're sitting on the curb.
12/07/09: found a new donor (whew). Cycling in Feb 2010?
2/27/10: CD2 check done; DE retrieval est. 3/16/10...here we go again!
3/14/10: Donor triggering; ER 3/16, ET 3/19
3/17/10: (shared cycle) 12 retrieved, 7 mature, 4 fertilized. Four??!!!! Thud.
3/19/10: ET (2) 8 cells 'Laurel & Hardy'; (1) 9 cell frozen.
HPT's all negative. Beta Good Friday 4/02 BFN.
Next step is FET with our lone frostie. Not optimistic. Sigh.
6/21/10: Took an emotional break and feeling better. Will try our FET in late summer and then we're done. But it's all good now :)

RIP, Dad 3/30/10. I'm glad you're no longer in pain but my heart aches.

#18 Tonya5

Tonya5
  • 283 posts
  • My Clinic:ONE Fertility

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

I was initially impressed with this this doc & clinic but after being with this clinic nearly 1 year, two failed IUIs, and IVF with BFP then early miscarriage, I was tired of waiting, the unfriendly receptionist (kathleen - it was a hit or miss day), we decided to get a second opinion. Boy are we glad .....he missed something very basic in the lab results which likely affected the IVF outcome. Yup we pissed after spending $20K. The other clinic Doc caught the lab result oversight.

If you're happy with Repromed great, but no one and nothing is perfect. It's worth to have a second opinion.

Which clinic did you switch to and can you give me some details as to why you switched or what you liked/didn't like about both clinics. I am planning on switching from my current clinic to ReproMed and would like some details before I make a decision.

Thanks
Me 31, DH 30 | TTC Since April 2004 | 6th IUI's, 6 months Clomid, 4 rounds of injectables, 2 m/c |

• 1st IVF cycle | ER Dec 3rd | ET of two 8 & 7 cell embryo's on Dec 6th (2 6&4 cell grade A on ice) | Beta Dec 18th BFP 45 (2 days early) | Beta Dec 20th 105 | 3rd chem pg
  • Recurrent miscarriage testing: everything supposidly fine
  • 1st FET June 22 | Transfer 2 embryo's | Beta July 5th BFN
  • 2nd IVF | ER Sep 11 | ET Sep 14 2-8cell grade4 | 4 to freeze (8CG3, 6CG4comp, 6&4CG3) | Beta #1 Sep27 390, Beta #2 Sep29 679, Beta #3 Oct1 1335, 1st u/s Oct 14 Baby A 116, Baby B 113 = Fraternal TWINS
  • Dec 24th, blessed with boy/girl twins, boy has Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome & girl is fine

#19 Tonya5

Tonya5
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

I have being going to Dr. DV since January and nothing but positive things. It is more of a 'boutique' clinic versus a big, hospital affiliated clinic. Everything is on site. B/c he runs the show and is busy in the ER, your scheduled appointments with him to review protocol usually run really late. Be prepared for this. The first few gimes it really pissed me off -- now I deal with it b/c if I was the woman in the ER, I would want him to focus on me during my retrivals/transfers! The nurses are great too. Are prompt in getting back to you with questions or updates to your dosages.

My only negative is that one of the receptionists is not very pleasent (but the other one - Julie - is awesome). Maybe I catch this other gal on the wrong days, but she always appears ticked off, not eager to help you, never smiles. I would expect the people that greet the patients everyday to have a better attitude. Is this too much to ask?

Other than this, my experiences are positive....well, as positive as they can be while you are going thru IUI's and IVF's!

I see you switched clinics, which clinic did you switch to and can you give me some details as to why you switched or what you liked/didn't like about both clinics. I am planning on switching from my current clinic to ReproMed and would like some details before I make a decision.

Thanks
Me 31, DH 30 | TTC Since April 2004 | 6th IUI's, 6 months Clomid, 4 rounds of injectables, 2 m/c |

• 1st IVF cycle | ER Dec 3rd | ET of two 8 & 7 cell embryo's on Dec 6th (2 6&4 cell grade A on ice) | Beta Dec 18th BFP 45 (2 days early) | Beta Dec 20th 105 | 3rd chem pg
  • 2nd IVF | ER Sep 11 | ET Sep 14 2-8cell grade4 | 4 to freeze (8CG3, 6CG4comp, 6&4CG3) | Beta #1 Sep27 390, Beta #2 Sep29 679, Beta #3 Oct1 1335, 1st u/s Oct 14 Baby A 116, Baby B 113 = Fraternal TWINS
  • Dec 24th, blessed with boy/girl twins, boy has Hypoplastic Right Heart Syndrome & girl is fine

#20 Tonya5

Tonya5
  • 283 posts

Posted 26 April 2009 - 08:21 PM

Hmmm...reading over this early early post, I feel it isn't really representative of how I feel about the clinic now. In fairness, a lot of what I was experiencing was newbie angst :) ...as you can probably see! Is this your first go-around at IVF? If so and you're feeling like I was, ask as many questions of them as you see fit - once you let them know you have questions they are very open to answering all of them. Feel free to pm me with any questions about them too; glad to help.

K. has pulled up her socks of late, so I wouldn't worry overmuch about her. DH & I did have our sitdown with Dr DV and he addressed all our concerns, including our perception of her attitude (it turns out we weren't the only ones telling him this) and it appears he must have discussed this with her as she has been quite friendly the last few weeks.

Overall, I think you're going to have a great experience at this clinic. The nurses, techs and embryologist are all wonderful, supportive people and Dr DV - well either he's lucky or he's good but he got me pg on the first try :)!!

Good luck!

Which clinic are you planning on switching to and can you give me some details as to why you switched or what you liked/didn't like about both clinics. I am planning on switching from my current clinic to ReproMed and would like some details before I make a decision.

Thanks
N.

#21 morningsun2

morningsun2
  • 61 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:ReproMed

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:21 AM

Hi Tonya.

I'm currently going to Repromed. I had my first IVF/ICSI there last fall and during the process discovered 2 endometriomas on my ovaries that greatly affected the outcome. Because of the size of the endos there wasn't much room left in my ovaries to produce eggs, and of the few eggs I did produce, a few of them were blocked from retrieval behind the endos. Our cycle was BFN.

I had surgery in January to remove the endometriomas and I'm now gearing up for IVF #2. 1 endometrioma has already grown back to 3 cm, but not as big as the original 5 cm, so Dr. D thinks we'll have better luck this time around. The Dr. who did the surgery was recommending I go on Lupron for an extended period of time to try and shrink all the other endometriosis floating around inside me that could be compromising egg quality, but when I shared his comments with Dr. D, he felt that because I am now 35, waiting another 8 months to try and shrink the endo would be a conflict of interest since the egg quality deteriorates rapidly between 35 and 40.

Reading posts like these about Dr. D makes you second guess things, but I guess no one is ever perfect and maybe there's reasons why things aren't evident at first. Maybe there are things that become evident as you go through the IVF attempts? What makes me stay with Dr. D and give it another try is the success rates. His rates are around the 80% range under 35 and around 50% from 35-39. Those are really high stats.

I find Dr. D himself to be very caring and patient. The staff I find mostly friendly and haven't really had any issues.

Good luck to us both!

Stacey
MFI & Endo - TTC since 2006

1st IVF ICSI Sept/08
Lupron 0.05cc, Puregon 200 IU's, Menopur 75 IU's/doubled for last few days
Retrieval - 4 eggs, 2 mature (didn't fertilize) 2 immature - incubated and fertilized
2 fertilized eggs (poor quality) put back Sept 29/08 - BFN

Jan. 22/09 Laparoscopy removal of endometriomas from ovaries

2nd IVF - Start bcp Apr. 16/09
Start Lupron 0.1cc May 5 - not suppressing, eventually go to short protocol
July/09 - try again with short protocol
6 eggs, 4 mature, 2 fertilized, 1 great egg ready to transfer
Transfer postponed due to liquid in uterus.

FET Augut/09
1 perfect egg survived thaw and was transferred, but BFN

Needed break from IVF. Did weight loss program and lost 30 pounds, eating healthfully, and eating for endo (very little beef/dairy)

Feb. 8/10 - Start Puregon 250 IU's, Menopur 150 IU's on Feb. 8/10
Saw 5 follies on left ovary (and 5 cysts, yikes!) and 3 on right ovary, along with the monster endometrioma
Day 6 - 10 follies between 0.8 & 1.3 (4 on left ovary 1x0.8 and 3x0.9, 6 on right ovary along with endometrioma, 1x0.9, 2x1.1, 3x1.3)
Day 9 - endometrioma is on LEFT ovary!?!?! WHAT?!?! Follies on left not growing, which is okay now. Right side 1x1.1, 4x1.6-1.9, 1x2.1 Stop Menopure!!!
Feb 19/10 - 6 eggs retrieved
Feb 20 - 5 mature, but none fertilized. Time to experiment and see where the issue lies. 1 immature brought along and fertilized with donor sperm. 2 donor eggs (research purposes only) fertilized with dh's sperm to see what happens.
Feb 21 - The Dr. called to say 2 eggs had delayed fertilization and have now started dividing. Potential transfer tomorrow! Wow, so surprised!
Feb. 22 - Transfer cancelled, eggs stopped dividing. Testing proved egg quality issue, can still use dh's sperm! yay!
Onto our new path - donor eggs!

Found an angel to share a cycle. Can't believe it and feel like the luckiest girl on earth!

August 20, 2010 our angel started lupron, Aug 30 started stims
September 10, 2010 Retrieval - 31 eggs (unbelievable!) 10/14 good quality for our angel and 4/15 good quality for us
September 13 - Transfer - 2 each. Our angel has 8 on ice and we have 2 on ice! Never had that before, in fact I've never had 2 good quality eggs to transfer! Amazing.
September 20 - POAS - BFP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for BOTH of us!
Sept 27 - beta 686 Sept 29 - beta 1941
Oct. 8 - first ultrasound - 1 perfect little baby for me!

Posted Image

#22 Tonya5

Tonya5
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 07:53 AM

Hi Tonya.

I'm currently going to Repromed. I had my first IVF/ICSI there last fall and during the process discovered 2 endometriomas on my ovaries that greatly affected the outcome. Because of the size of the endos there wasn't much room left in my ovaries to produce eggs, and of the few eggs I did produce, a few of them were blocked from retrieval behind the endos. Our cycle was BFN.

I had surgery in January to remove the endometriomas and I'm now gearing up for IVF #2. 1 endometrioma has already grown back to 3 cm, but not as big as the original 5 cm, so Dr. D thinks we'll have better luck this time around. The Dr. who did the surgery was recommending I go on Lupron for an extended period of time to try and shrink all the other endometriosis floating around inside me that could be compromising egg quality, but when I shared his comments with Dr. D, he felt that because I am now 35, waiting another 8 months to try and shrink the endo would be a conflict of interest since the egg quality deteriorates rapidly between 35 and 40.

Reading posts like these about Dr. D makes you second guess things, but I guess no one is ever perfect and maybe there's reasons why things aren't evident at first. Maybe there are things that become evident as you go through the IVF attempts? What makes me stay with Dr. D and give it another try is the success rates. His rates are around the 80% range under 35 and around 50% from 35-39. Those are really high stats.

I find Dr. D himself to be very caring and patient. The staff I find mostly friendly and haven't really had any issues.

Good luck to us both!

Stacey

Thank you.

#23 mandy*dandy*

mandy*dandy*
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 08:41 AM

Sounds like some of you had some not so great experiences.... :mellow:

Unfortunately no clinic is perfect, nor can any clinic please everyone....too bad though, one would think with the money that goes out they'd be damn near perfect.

When I first started going to RePromed it was when they were sharing doctors. They were busy then. Now they are on their own, with a complete set-up, from evalutations, to cycling to egg retrival to transfer, it's all done there. They have their own "operating room" and recovery area I believe treated very much like a hospital run clinic. They are super busy now.

Even still he's the only doctor I personally prefer to be at. I would wait the hour to two hours to talk with him, I would put up with the mistakes made by the nurses, I just would be sure to be on top of them, even the occasional snooty nurse (I would just request a new nurse).

Why? Because I believe he's one of the best in Ontario, maybe even Canada?? He will take the time to sit with you and talk, giving you as much time as you need....often why he's late for appts and you wait so long. No in and out get you done and over with so he can move on type of attitude. He will tell it to you straight, if he doesn't think something will work, he'll say that and also provide other suggestions rather than kick you to the curb. He remains one of the most aggressive doctors I know, which is probably why is sucess rate is so high as compared to most other doctors. But he will also be careful with you too, he may be aggressive but if you have higher risk factors he will watch you more closely.

He has extensive knowledge of a variety of medical issues that plagues men and women. And he continues to educate himself through travelling and such. He is also willing to listen to the patient if they want to try something, and if something doesn't work, he changes things up, be it your meds, the timing, the procedure, etc.

This is the 2nd time I've gotten pregnant with him as a surrogate. Like I said in my earlier posts, I got preggers with twins first try (2 embies put back, both stuck). The 2nd time I went with him with new IPs, I got preggers again first try with a singleton (2 embies put back).

My last IM has a very special circumstance that leaves her unable to carry. Egg Retrival also is very risky. She went to another clinic before RePromed and they told her she would have to use donor eggs, they would not touch her.....she went to Dr.D and he was familiar with her issues, she herself was amazed he knew so much about it since it was nothing to do with "fertility", said he could do an ER on her, and spelled out just how he would manage it, watch it, and care for it. She now has a sweet baby girl in her arms.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another, you'll only know where the best place to go is based on your own experiences, I just want to say that he is the only doc I would personally trust with my money, time and baby making efforts. As a surrogate, I personally look for IPs who are working or will be willing to work with him because I know he's sucess rates. And I have been to 4 other clinics in the GTA and in London, one was good, but the others were nothing in comparrison.
Wife and Mom
EDx2
GSx2

#24 Tonya5

Tonya5
  • 283 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 09:30 AM

Sounds like some of you had some not so great experiences.... :mellow:

Unfortunately no clinic is perfect, nor can any clinic please everyone....too bad though, one would think with the money that goes out they'd be damn near perfect.

When I first started going to RePromed it was when they were sharing doctors. They were busy then. Now they are on their own, with a complete set-up, from evalutations, to cycling to egg retrival to transfer, it's all done there. They have their own "operating room" and recovery area I believe treated very much like a hospital run clinic. They are super busy now.

Even still he's the only doctor I personally prefer to be at. I would wait the hour to two hours to talk with him, I would put up with the mistakes made by the nurses, I just would be sure to be on top of them, even the occasional snooty nurse (I would just request a new nurse).

Why? Because I believe he's one of the best in Ontario, maybe even Canada?? He will take the time to sit with you and talk, giving you as much time as you need....often why he's late for appts and you wait so long. No in and out get you done and over with so he can move on type of attitude. He will tell it to you straight, if he doesn't think something will work, he'll say that and also provide other suggestions rather than kick you to the curb. He remains one of the most aggressive doctors I know, which is probably why is sucess rate is so high as compared to most other doctors. But he will also be careful with you too, he may be aggressive but if you have higher risk factors he will watch you more closely.

He has extensive knowledge of a variety of medical issues that plagues men and women. And he continues to educate himself through travelling and such. He is also willing to listen to the patient if they want to try something, and if something doesn't work, he changes things up, be it your meds, the timing, the procedure, etc.

This is the 2nd time I've gotten pregnant with him as a surrogate. Like I said in my earlier posts, I got preggers with twins first try (2 embies put back, both stuck). The 2nd time I went with him with new IPs, I got preggers again first try with a singleton (2 embies put back).

My last IM has a very special circumstance that leaves her unable to carry. Egg Retrival also is very risky. She went to another clinic before RePromed and they told her she would have to use donor eggs, they would not touch her.....she went to Dr.D and he was familiar with her issues, she herself was amazed he knew so much about it since it was nothing to do with "fertility", said he could do an ER on her, and spelled out just how he would manage it, watch it, and care for it. She now has a sweet baby girl in her arms.

I'm not trying to convince you one way or another, you'll only know where the best place to go is based on your own experiences, I just want to say that he is the only doc I would personally trust with my money, time and baby making efforts. As a surrogate, I personally look for IPs who are working or will be willing to work with him because I know he's sucess rates. And I have been to 4 other clinics in the GTA and in London, one was good, but the others were nothing in comparrison.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me some details. It is nice to know someone who has been to several clinics and can give me a rough estimate of what they have been through. It is also good to know that he does believe in surrogacy as I think I might not be able to carry (keep m/c but am unexplained). I live in the St Catherines area, which other clinic did you say was also good (just in case it is closer to me).

Thanks again.

#25 mandy*dandy*

mandy*dandy*
  • 35 posts

Posted 27 April 2009 - 10:06 AM

The other clinic is in downtown Toronto, that was a big downfall to me.
Wife and Mom
EDx2
GSx2