• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 105 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 13 April 2015 - 12:50 PM

Over the last year, purchasing frozen eggs from US donor egg banks has been gaining popularity. It is a very expensive option, usually running $15 -18,000US for a "lot" of 5 or 6 frozen eggs, and those eggs will likely you a 50% chance of initiating a pregnancy.

People have told me that they feel that the benefit is that they know what they're getting. The donor has already completed the IVF cycle and we know how many eggs are being purchased. However, the quality of those eggs is variable. Some eggs are of very high quality, but some are not. If a donor is stimulated and many eggs are retrieved, an egg bank may choose to cycle her again before any of the eggs have been purchased and fertilized. If the eggs were being fertilized right away instead of being frozen, an embryologist could make a much better (and faster) determination of egg quality. The fact that a donor has donated more than once is not an indication of the quality of her eggs.

In other words, you know that you are purchasing frozen eggs, but you don't know their quality. As in so many aspects of ART, ask questions!

Has anyone used frozen eggs successfully? If so, how many embryos were created? Thoughts? Comments?
Thank you all!

#2 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 01:40 PM

Such a great comment!

I, for one, am not a fan of the new frozen egg craze. You have really very little idea about their quality and the average fertilization rate is 50%, so of 6 eggs, you MAY get 3 to fertilize - assuming they all survived the thaw! That doesn't mean that those 3 fertilized will make it to day 3 or day 5 either!

Frankly, I think the donor egg banks are way over-charging us intended parents for these eggs. A more reasonable price (to my mind) would be something like $10,000 for TWELVE eggs, not $15-$18 for six. At least with twelve, you may have a chance at having a few more embryos make it, and perhaps something to freeze.

I really feel taken advantage of with this frozen egg thing.th_aggahhh.gif  

• mountainchick likes this

#3 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:04 PM

This is exactly why we opted to travel to Zlin for our fresh de cycle instead. And the cost was still less, even with a two week vacation in Europe!
  • ociwoman likes this

See about me page.

#4 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 02:34 PM

Ditto for us quandry (as you know). Europe was the most economical alternative, and both Zlin and Iakentro have excellent success rates with donor eggs. We have no regrets. I just hope that people don't get sucked into the hype from these donor egg banks - especially since it is so hard to do objective research on these egg banks.

#5 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 105 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 03:46 PM

I think the appeal is the speed at which you can choose a donor, and get delivery of the eggs. Some clinics are also telling patients that this is the only legal way to do donor egg in Canada, and it's just not true.
  • mountainchick and ociwoman like this

#6 ociwoman

ociwoman

Mamma mia

• Global 100+
  • 820 posts

Posted 13 April 2015 - 04:00 PM

I could not agree with you more Sherry. I am so happy that you are making these posts. Sadly, many IP's are simply not aware, and we sometimes forget that ivf and donor eggs (in the US) has a very real business/profit component to them.

Thanks for helping to build awareness!

• SherryLevitan likes this

#7 Evanmom

Evanmom
  • Global 100+
  • 392 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:TCART

Posted 13 April 2015 - 08:08 PM

Hi,

I used frozen donor eggs.  I paid $13,500 USD which also included the embryo creation at a clinic in the States affiliated with the egg bank and where the donor eggs were located. I also used donor sperm from a sperm bank in the States.  I was initially given 6 frozen eggs.  However, they were only able to get ONE day 5 embryo, and so 3 more eggs were thawed (I think this was all they had left for the donor), but no more embryos were created successfully.  Anyway, that embryo was frozen then shipped to Toronto and I had a FET in December.  I am now just over 20 weeks pregnant.  I know that my chances were not great and I am very, very lucky that it worked.  For me it was the best option as trying to find a donor here was too overwhelming and expensive, and travelling overseas was not an option for me.  So there are success stories out there, but yes, people need to know the truth about the odds.

• ociwoman likes this

Me: 40
No DH (Doing this on my own)
DS - already 8 years old (conceived via IUI using a donor)

Trying for number 2
May 2009 - IUI #1 - BFN
June 2009 - IUI #2 - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C
August 2009 IUI #3 - BFN
September 2009 - Sonohysterogram shows one tube probably blocked
September 2009 - IUI # 4 - lead follicle on blocked side - BFN
October 2009 - IUI #5 - BFN
December 2009 IVF #1 - 15 eggs, 7 fertilized, transferred two 8 cell embryos - BFN
February 2010 - FET #1 eSET - grew 5 - 3 day embryos to blast, transferred 1 blast - BFN, 1 blast frozen
April 2010 - Sonohyterogram - Both tubes open and clear!!!! Must have been a muscle spasm in Sept.
May 2010 - IUI #6 - BFN
July 2010 - IVF #2 - 16 eggs, 14 mature, 12 fertilized, transferred 2 blasts - BFP, ended in chemical/early M/C - 7 blasts frozen
September 2010 - Endometrial Biopsy - nothing out of the ordinary found
October 2010 - FET #2 - transferred two blasts, BFP,but only came back at 3.4,ended in chemical/early M/C
November 2010 - FET #3 - Transferred 3 blasts BFN againsad.png
February 2011 - FET #4 eSET CANCELLED Neither blast made the thaw....

February 2011-April 2013 - took a well needed break

April 2013 - Thinking of trying again for child #2

April 2013 - Sonohysterogram -very painful, surprised to find both tubes blocked!

June/July 2013 - IVF #3  (Third time's a charm???) - 8 eggs, 6 fertilized, 4 blasts frozen

August 2013 - 3 blastocysts tested using PGS, one tested chromosomally normal, one they could not read the DNA, and one tested as having a lethal trisomy condition (but the doctor says the tests may only be about 60% reliable so it could be wrong)

September 2013 - FET #5 Transferred the one "good" embryo! BFN

November 6 2013 -  FET #6  Transferred the two other blasts on the recommendation of my doctor (Beta Nov. 20) another BFN cry.gif 

December 2013 - WTF Appointment - My doctor says it's time to stop trying with my own eggs.

March 2014 - Considering using donor eggs.

April 2014 - I have picked an egg donor from My Egg Bank.

June 2014 - Extremely stressed out about my decision, developed shingles, Dad dying of brain cancer, cancelled order for donor eggs

August 2014 - Ready to try again, picked a new donor from My Egg Bank.

October 2014 - Waiting for updated blood work results so that My Egg Bank can go ahead with embryo creation.

November, 2014 - Eggs and sperm thawed. Only one embryo made it to blastocyst stage and was frozen.  3 more eggs thawed, but no embryos made it.

December 8, 2014 - FET #7 (Donor Egg/Donor Sperm)Transferred one little embryo  

BFP!!!!!!  Estimated due date: Aug. 27, 2015

#8 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 14 April 2015 - 12:45 AM

I strongly suggest that people research the success rates at their clinic for frozen donor egg.  SART has started to include success rates for banked eggs from 2013; the success rates are highly variable between clinic.

Reproductive Biology Associates in Atlanta is one of the experts in the field, working with frozen eggs and the newer freezing techniques.  Their success rate is about 50.0% with and average of 1.2 embryos frozen.    https://www.sartcors...ClinicPKID=2323

CCRM also gets a high rate of success at 70% with an average of 1.7 embryos transferred.  https://www.sartcors...ClinicPKID=1902

But I've seen clinics with far, far lower success rates.  These clinics have a lot of expertise in working with frozen donor eggs.  Others do not.  You can look through SART to see the variation in numbers.

• ociwoman and ollie2013 like this

#9 Lola1973

Lola1973
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:04 PM

Interesting thread. When reading, I partially agree and partially disagree. I agree that certain banks may have a donor do more than one cycle before they realize her eggs may not be of the best quality. However on the other side, it's not like every fresh donor has great egg quality.... For both frozen and fresh, you won't really know about egg quality unless you get the info about how successfull the donor has been in the past, info you CAN get from a bank, or at least some of them. And for both (frozen or fresh) if these results are unavailable (for ex, it's a first time donor) you won't know about egg quality and will have to decide if you take the risk...

I agree with Tess that if you are using an american clinic, you should definitely do your research on SART. However, I think that some of the popularity of egg banks comes from wanting to be treated close to home (in Canada). As far as I know, we don't have something like SART so numbers can be harder to get.

Nothing is perfect when you are looking for egg donor. The best choice for one couple may not be the same as the choice of another. It all depends on the couple's priorities: Is it the budget? Having a wide variety of donors? Is it being able to receive treatment at home and not have to travel to another country? Finding a fresh donor in Canada is not impossible, but not simple. If you priorize being treated here, an egg bank is an interesting option offering you a wide range of donors.

Nothing is all black or all white. As I said, I totally agree people should research as much as they can, but not everybody will come to the same conclusion simply because every couple is different.

Ttc first child for both of us since February 2012

Surgery and diagnosis of severe endometriosis Nov. 2012

IVF#1 April 2013: BFP8388.gif 9 weeks

IVF#2 Sept 2013: BFP8388.gif 9,5 weeks

Clinic 2:

IVF#3 May 2014: Embryo banking: 4 blasts

IVF#4 July 2014: Embryo banking: 3 blasts

PGS Result August 2014: All 7 blasts are abnormal... Moving on to DE.

Clinic 3:

Transfer #1 Feb. 2015: BFN

Transfer #2 June 2015: BFN

Transfer #3 Sept 2015: th_abfp.gifon hpt Sept 24!!!!

1st beta 12dp3dt: 421 2nd beta 14dp3dt:1025 Viability US (6w6d): One perfect baby measuring 7.0 weeks with HB of 130!!yahoo.gif

8- week US: Cutest little gummy bear measuring 8w1d

Harmony test 10weeks: Risk of trisomy 13, 18 and 21 under 1 in 10,000
20-week US: Baby girl right on track!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#10 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 14 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Usually a proven donor is a high requested item for de recipients. Either they have a child already, or they have donated and another couple has delivered a healthy child.
  • ociwoman and ollie2013 like this

See about me page.

#11 Lola1973

Lola1973
  • Global 100+
  • 556 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 05:39 PM

Of course. And that can be found in a bank as well. If this info is not given, definitely ask for it.
  • ollie2013 likes this

Ttc first child for both of us since February 2012

Surgery and diagnosis of severe endometriosis Nov. 2012

IVF#1 April 2013: BFP8388.gif 9 weeks

IVF#2 Sept 2013: BFP8388.gif 9,5 weeks

Clinic 2:

IVF#3 May 2014: Embryo banking: 4 blasts

IVF#4 July 2014: Embryo banking: 3 blasts

PGS Result August 2014: All 7 blasts are abnormal... Moving on to DE.

Clinic 3:

Transfer #1 Feb. 2015: BFN

Transfer #2 June 2015: BFN

Transfer #3 Sept 2015: th_abfp.gifon hpt Sept 24!!!!

1st beta 12dp3dt: 421 2nd beta 14dp3dt:1025 Viability US (6w6d): One perfect baby measuring 7.0 weeks with HB of 130!!yahoo.gif

8- week US: Cutest little gummy bear measuring 8w1d

Harmony test 10weeks: Risk of trisomy 13, 18 and 21 under 1 in 10,000
20-week US: Baby girl right on track!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#12 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 22 April 2015 - 07:54 PM

"Nothing is all black or all white. As I said, I totally agree people should research as much as they can, but not everybody will come to the same conclusion simply because every couple is different."

oh yeah -- I completely agree.  I didn't mean there was only 1 good choice to make.   I'm glad the frozen egg banks are available in Canada.  There will be a lot of adorable babies born to very happy families as a result!  

• ociwoman, Lola1973, ollie2013 and 1 other like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: donor egg