• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lovesgreentea

lovesgreentea
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 05 April 2015 - 02:45 PM

I have DOR and recently underwent IVF#1 and was a poor responder. It resulted in 1 retrieved + mature egg which fertilized (with ICSI) but ended up developing slowly and not making it to blast by day 5.  I was on the estrogen priming protocol. The Doctor has provided a grim outlook for future cycles, or at least doesn't seem as hopeful with IVF, as it might just end up hurting his stats. Is there any hope to try another cycle? Any other ladies who responded poorly to one cycle and better in others?

#2 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 05 April 2015 - 04:17 PM

You can see from my signature that I was also a poor responder.  My first cycle where I got to retrieval also resulted in zero fertlization so I know how difficult that is to go through and I know exactly how you feel.  It isn't easy.

My zero fertlization cycle was an EPP protocol, but my cycle where I was successful was also an EPP protocol (although slightly different and at a different clinic).

I saw Dr. Hannam for a second opinion and although he is really nice and loved by many women, if you have DOR he may not be the right doctor for you (I say may because it is a personal thing and even with DOR he may be the right doctor for you even if he wasn't for me).  Throughout my several years at fertility clinics I never left an appointment as down or depressed as I did when I saw him.  He basically said that it was very unlikely I'd ever have a biological child and donor eggs were really the only option worth considering.

For me, Dr. Hannam wasn't the right choice, but I did go to another clinic and found success.  I know I was lucky and am very grateful.  With DOR, it is harder to find a good egg but it can happen.

I don't know your stats such as age or test results, but I hope you too can find success with a little bit of luck. 

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#3 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 05 April 2015 - 11:23 PM

Also I wanted to add, I didn't try to go to blast. With few follicles to work with, I definitely was going for a day 3 transfer. I know that is a decision between you and your doctor. Some feel that embryos do better inside the body. Some poor responders have even done a day 2 transfer.

Whatever your next steps are, best of luck to you

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#4 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7476 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 06 April 2015 - 10:40 AM

Spam, spam, spam...

EDITED to note that my response was to a fly by poster spamming the site.

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#5 Clairey

Clairey
  • Global 100+
  • 249 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 06 April 2015 - 11:35 AM

I really believe in Ubiquinol. While I haven't had my golden egg yet in my last few cycles (though have some frozen - a novelty for us!) I did go from no eggs surviving following ICSI (years ago) to 5 of decent and excellent grade surviving to day 3, with more as well that had fertilized but weren't high grade. Over the past year I started taking it and what people said seemed true. The life cycle of an egg is 3 months and with each 3 month span we saw great improvement - especially as I get older!

I am mid-30s, and 2/3 of eggs are chromosomally abnormal by this age. It seems crazy to think of all the people I know who at this age, get pregnant quickly and with no issues. With DOR, you have an even lower chance. It shows that even with some good surviving eggs, the odds aren't in our favor. But many people with DOR face repeated cycles in the chance to get a golden egg out of what you have, and many DOR people here do find it. It's very difficult to face it but no matter the outcome, my doctor and I both feel strongly that the Ubiquinol has helped me x500% in the last 7 years.

My naturopath also said that many of her patients that pressed pause and did hard work with her for over 3 months to prepare for a fresh cycle had massive improvement and many achieved pregnancy. In the past with DOR I never wanted to wait 3 months (an eternity for an infertile couple) but now I realize doing so truly made a difference.

Good luck and hang in there!

#6 lovesgreentea

lovesgreentea
  • 10 posts
  • My Clinic:Hannam

Posted 06 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

Hopingfor1 - thanks for the post. I am waiting to see what the Doctor has in mind for the next protocol and how he will change it up. I am encouraged to hear that even with the same protocol you got a different outcome.

Clairey - thanks for the post. I've been taking Ubiquinol (200mg per day as per my naturopath) and other supplements for the past 6 months. What was the dosage of Ubiquinol that you took?  I'm thinking that since i may have poor egg quality, I'll need to increase my dosage.

#7 Clairey

Clairey
  • Global 100+
  • 249 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 06 April 2015 - 02:26 PM

I took 600mg for awhile and the last 3 months (before my most successful retrieval) upped it to 800.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: dor, poor responder, ivf, por, estrace priming