• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:56 PM

My DH and I are finally going for our consultation at conceptia Wednesday. I've been putting together my list of questions for DR. Any suggested questions I shoukd ask? One I may be forgetting as a Newbie?

Me: 29 ( no children) DH: 36 ( 2 children, aged 10 and 12)

DX: Male Factor

Clinic: Conceptia

March 2014: Vasectomy reversal

September 2015: Vasectomy reversal deemed unsuccessful after many SA. No sperm present at all.

January 2015: Referral to Conceptia

April 1 2015: Consultation at Conceptia.

TX: IVF with ICSI

April 7-9 2015: Initial blood work for  DH and remaining blood work for myself.
April 13.15: clinic called. My PPT test came back slightly elevated. Wait for referral to Oncologist. Prior to moving on to Mock Transfer.

April 28,15: Met with Oncologist regarding elevated PPT. Retesting and hoping original test was false positive.

April 28, 15: SA for DH at Conceptia.

April 30, 15: Call from Oncologist office. False Positive for PPT. Thank God!

May 4,15: Cycle on hold. My Insulin came back slightly elevated. Prescribed Metformin for 6 weeks then retest on June 15.

May 8,14: Consult for DH with Urologist who will do the TESA. Urologist agreed to do TESA on DH.

June 15, 15: Re-test insulin levels to determine if we can start cycle.

July 28,15: Mock Transfer

Sept/Oct,15: IVF #1

Aug 22,15: Started BCP

Sept 18, 15: Teaching appointment at clinic

Sept 23,15 Injections

Oct 15,15: DH TESA

Oct 17,15: Egg Retrieval- Left Ovary is to high to retrieve from. 5 eggs from right side.

Oct 18,15: 4 mature eggs ICSI. Only 2 fertilized.

Oct 20,15: 3 day transfer of our only two embryos. ( 8 cell (grade 1) and a 7 cell ( grade 2).

Nov 3, 15: BFN Beta -1 :(

#2 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts
  • Dx:Tubal

Posted 30 March 2015 - 01:57 PM

Good luck Patiently Waiting! We are in the midst of our first cycle. My baseline visit is tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed for you both :)
  • Patiently Waiting likes this

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C
Aug 2012 - Ectopic pregnancy ~ 10w, laparoscopic sx, left tube removed
May 2013 - Ectopic pregnancy ~ 8w, laparotomy sx, right tube removed

IVF #1 - April 2015 - 1st cycle, 5dt blastocyst 3AA 29Apr15 - BFN

FET #1 - August 2015 - Transferred one perfect 4AA 6day Blastocyst - BFP, miscarried Aug 26th

Hysteroscopy - Sept 2015 - NSF. Additional B/W requested (8-12wk wait for results - UGH!)
Results complete. Consultation complete - Lovenox introduced into new protocol.

FET #2 - Jan 2016 - 4AA 6day Blastocyst - BFN

FET #3 - May 2016 - Transferred 4BB and 3BA embies. - BFN

FET #4 - December 15th, 2016 - last frostie (4AA 5d blastocyst) - BFP

December 31st, 2016 - Miscarriage 

IVF #2 - May 2017, Antagonist Protocol

BCP started May 20th / Estimated CD1 ~ June 22nd / Retrieval July 4th

#3 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:08 PM

Thanks so much MelgarC. Good luck to you as well. How have you found your experience at conceptia so far? How long from consultation until you were able to start cycling? Did you have to do a Mock?

September 2015: Vasectomy reversal deemed unsuccessful after many SA. No sperm present at all.

April 13.15: clinic called. My PPT test came back slightly elevated. Wait for referral to Oncologist. Prior to moving on to Mock Transfer.

April 28,15: Met with Oncologist regarding elevated PPT. Retesting and hoping original test was false positive.

May 4,15: Cycle on hold. My Insulin came back slightly elevated. Prescribed Metformin for 6 weeks then retest on June 15.

May 8,14: Consult for DH with Urologist who will do the TESA. Urologist agreed to do TESA on DH.

Sept 23,15 Injections

Oct 17,15: Egg Retrieval- Left Ovary is to high to retrieve from. 5 eggs from right side.

Oct 20,15: 3 day transfer of our only two embryos. ( 8 cell (grade 1) and a 7 cell ( grade 2).

#4 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 02:28 PM

Our initial consult was between the Holidays in December. All our diagnostics were done before that time. From the consult, the earliest time they could get me in for the Mock was mid Feb. The Mock went well and I was told we were all set to go once I started my period. I was happy to hear this because we were under the impression that we would have to wait another month before we could start. The best was that my period started the next day and the following week, I started BCP. Everything seems to be flowing well so I really can't complain. Now, if I can just shake the jitters, I'd be happy :)

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C

FET #1 - August 2015 - Transferred one perfect 4AA 6day Blastocyst - BFP, miscarried Aug 26th

Hysteroscopy - Sept 2015 - NSF. Additional B/W requested (8-12wk wait for results - UGH!)

#5 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:01 PM

Glad to hear :) I'm really hoping we can squeeze ours into the summer months as we have to travel 4 hours to get to conceptia and as a teacher I have summer months off. I hear you on the jitters. Im anxious on a good day... I'm also a big whimp when it comes to anything medical so egg retrieval should be fun lol... sending lots of happy vibes your way. It will all be worth it in the end :)

Sept 23,15 Injections

#6 MGC

MGC
  • Global 100+
  • 431 posts

Posted 30 March 2015 - 04:31 PM

With your consultation scheduled for Wednesday, I think you have a great window to have it done over the summer. Best of luck and sending good vibes your way!

TTC since 2011
Dec 2011 - M/C

#7 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 31 March 2015 - 06:25 PM

Provided you just need the general tests for hormone panels and a pap done you should be fine to start a cycle by the summer. It usually takes a month or two to get the tests done then a month of the BCP before you start the cycle. All the best!

#8 Ren

Ren
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, knitting, crocheting, stitching, and painting my stepdaughters nails. And I'm also a farmer with many pets.
  • Dx:Vasectomy

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:22 AM

Hi Patiently Waiting, I came looking if you put an update of how the visit went and if you got a timeline of some sort.

Me and my twins are sending you good luck and to everyone else going to Conceptia.

Me: 33 (no kids), DH: 39 (two DDs, 15 & 10)

Dx: Vasectomy (9 years ago)

IVF  #1 (Jan/Feb 2015)

Started Suprefact 5.0  Jan 14th (same day as my car accident).

Jan 26th - Started Stims (Puregon, Pregnyl & Suprefact and Dexamethazone for high progesterone

TESA and ER on February 5th & 6th.

Retrieved 8 eggs, 7 were matured, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred and none made it to freeze

ET February 9th - 3dt of 1-7cell, 1-8cell embryos both of great quality.

POAS Feb. 20th  th_abfp.gifyahoo.gif

BETA #1(Feb. 22nd) = 746.5

BETA #2(Feb. 28th) = 14,229

U/S (March 20th): Twins... both measuring at 8w 1d.

#9 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:52 AM

Hi Ren,

Thanks for thinking of us :) The consult went well. The staff there seem very knowledgeable and caring.  We are starting the initial blood work next week for both myself and DH. Then after DH bloodwork comes back he has to travel to Conceptia to give a Sperm sample there. If it comes back no sperm (which every analysis has so far  but its procedure for them to check it again) they will then refer us to Urologist who will do the TESA but wont refer until his results are back. So that is stressing me out some as I rather a July transfer but out of my control.   My blood work will take 5 weeks to come back. If it all comes back ok ( re:prolactin is normal).. We can start preparing for the MOCK. They said we should be able to fit a round in this summer if we get started right away on preliminary tests. I had a lot of my testing already done and sent prior to consult so that helps. They only thing I was disappointed in was that Dr. Robichaud is only willing to transfer one embryo and I was  really hoping on transferring two. Did you have a  2 embryo transfer or did your twins split from one embryo after transfer?  He just said its too high risk with multiple births.. Which I see in a sense but being healthy, young and  very little infertility issues personally you would think I would be less chance of high risk..

• MGC likes this

Sept 23,15 Injections

#10 Ren

Ren
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts
  • Interests:Crafts, knitting, crocheting, stitching, and painting my stepdaughters nails. And I'm also a farmer with many pets.

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:02 PM

Hi Patiently Waiting, I'm so sorry it took me so long to come back. I announced our upcoming puppies, so all my free time was spent answering emails, texts and phone calls about puppies. The puppies were born yesterday and the mom and babies are all doing great.

They only transfer 1 perfect embryo at transfer day 5. However if they are not perfect you can chose 1 or 2, or in my case we had to transfer at day 3 because only 2 were doing good, the other 3 were not doing so well so we had the choice to transfer 1 or the 2 that were doing ok, If you are not given the choice, count yourself really lucky cause it means more then 4 embryos are top quality and you will have all the extras to freeze.

IVF  #1 (Jan/Feb 2015)

Jan 26th - Started Stims (Puregon, Pregnyl & Suprefact and Dexamethazone for high progesterone

Retrieved 8 eggs, 7 were matured, 6 fertilized, 2 transferred and none made it to freeze

#11 Ren

Ren
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 12:10 PM

If you look at their site and in the waiting room at the office and there are a lot of posters about sET (selected embryo transfer). You can read about it and it explains more why they do it that way. But I know what you mean, I was also disappointed about the same things too when I found out about it, but when I read about it, it made sense. And on a side note, the few people I know of that went to the fertility clinic, have had 2 embryos transferred, so for the clinic to only put 1, it would mean its the best of the best and it would be a shock to everyone for it not to implant.

IVF  #1 (Jan/Feb 2015)

#12 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 April 2015 - 10:14 PM

Hi Patiently Waiting,

I'm just going to give a different point of view about transferring two.  Ren is correct that policy is based on having top quality embryos (AA).  My first transfer I did not have perfect blastocysts on day 5 (4BB and 3BB so not bad but not perfect) I went ahead and transferred 2 and I didn't get pregnant and that is now one of my biggest regrets, I could have saved one of them in the freezer but now it's just gone.  I would have loved to have a set a twins but that experience changed my perspective.  This last transfer I did have a perfect blastocyst and I could have transferred 2 because I had a previous failure, we only transferred the one.  Our game plan was if we had anything to freeze we would transfer one and if we didn't we would transfer two.  Ultimately do what feels best for you :-)  My biggest piece of advice is to put that out of your head and just go with the flow and don't make any decisions until transfer day. 

Charissa

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

DX WAS - unexplained infertility after DSA = male factor (95% sperm antibodies)

Received referral to Conceptia on April 16/14

1st appointment at Conceptia was May 28/14, recommended IVF/icsi

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

Started BCP September 7th, Suprefact September 24th and Puregon/Pregnyl October 6th

Oct 17 ER - 11 eggs 10 mature 8 fertilized

Oct 22 ET - 1 4BB & 1 3BB blast

1 Frostie

Nov 3 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET#1

Jan 9/15 - Baseline good to go ET tentatively scheduled for Jan 29

Cancelled - estradiol not cooperating

IVF#2

Started BCP February 4, Superfact March 3 and Puregon/Pregnyl March 15th

March 26 ER - 9 eggs 6 fertilized

March 31 ET - 1 3AA blast

2 Frosties

April 13 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET #2 - August 2015 - Chemical pregnancy

Last FET Fall 2016

#13 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 08:49 AM

Hi Ren and Charissal

Thanks  so much for the advice. Connecting with others in same situation and who have already been there is so comforting. My poor DH is tired of hearing all my worries. Not really he's so supportive but I know he feels responsible for the situation we are in. Even though I have told him many times it is no ones "fault".

I did so some reading on SEt... I understand more why they choose to do that in ideal situation when you have a perfect embryo to transfer.  I was under the impression from  the consultation that they plain do not  ever transfer 2 at any time..  Even if you only have a few "good" embryo to pick from. Which I think is what bothered me. But if I am understanding you both correctly, there is a chance to wait and see how embryos mature then decide based on that? If I have perfect embryo I will have no problem transferring one.. I just know perfect embryos are not always a realistic expectation. We  cant afford to do many rounds of IVF. So this will be our one and only. Then we will start the process of saving again for another one later.

Ren-  How many puppies do you have? Your step daughters must be so excited!!!

Sept 23,15 Injections

#14 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 12 April 2015 - 06:08 PM

This can be a very difficult decision to make. I was determined to transfer one blastocyst on our last ivf cycle but decided to transfer two because I was given the option as I have extensive endometriosis and my prospects were quite low. I was really worried about having twins but wanted to better our chances. We had a successful cycle and had one healthy baby. After going through that experience we have decided to transfer one blastocyst for our upcoming FET and will do single transfers only in the future, even though I'm allowed to do two strictly because of my health condition. Financially it will be very difficult, but in a health perspective this is the better choice for me to try and avoid more complications. I had a challenging pregnancy which resulted in an emergency c section and I'm pretty terrified of having complications again that can be even more so associated with multiples (I had preeclampsia with HELLP that came on very suddenly). I have a friend who transferred two three day embryos and had twins and I know other people who transferred one 5 day blast and did not have a pregnancy. Every situation is so uniquely different and you have to make the decision based on what you feel is best for you and your family but also really consider the risks involved to your health and your potential baby/babies. There can be a lot of risks with multiples (mom and babies) and recovering from a c section with a baby (or babies) is VERY difficult. I'm really concerned about having another potential c section if I get pregnant again. I would suggest waiting to see how many embryos or blasts you have and how they are graded and go from there. The waiting game is tough and these decisions are tough to make but all you can do is try your best and have hope that things will be successful. Best of luck!

#15 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 14 April 2015 - 03:34 PM

Thanks Happy Wishes that's what we will do if we ever get to that point. Conceptia called yesterday saying my PPT test came back slightly elevated so I need to see a hematologist before proceeding. I've never had any issues with blood clotting but better safe than sorry. Just hoping it does not take months to get into the hematologist. Can't help but be a bit discouraged though. Seems like one road block after another. I waited three months to finally get into the endocrinologist last Friday re:slightly elevated prolactin for him to say there was no real issue and won't affect IVF.

Sept 23,15 Injections

#16 Ren

Ren
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 07:07 AM

Hi Patiently Waiting,

We had 10 puppies, all healthy. And yes my stepdaughters are very excited.

When it comes to the multiple embryos, I agree with the others, wait till the last minute till you get the embryologists recommendations. I'm hoping you have a lot of great quality embryos therefore you want need to worry about making the decision and you can expand your family later on :)

I had a friend who did a FET transfer a few days after me, and she just found out a few days ago about big complications, so I'd really say follow your instincts and the embryologists recommendations. Don't let anyone else influence your decision.

Can't wait to get an update from you.

IVF  #1 (Jan/Feb 2015)

#17 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 April 2015 - 02:31 PM

Hi Ren,

How exciting!! What kind of puppies?  How are you feeling?? Everything going good with you and your twins?

DH had his SA at Conceptia.. It came back zero sperm which we already knew from previous SA prior to being referred. It sure did suck paying $250.00 for SA for something we already knew but I guess that is procedure. Now that it has come back they have booked our consultation with the urologist that will retrieve the sperm. His name escapes me... His office is on Acadia Ave? Same urologist for you guys?  Our apt is set for next Friday.  DH is pretty freaked out about the whole procedure.

I  also seen the Oncologist this week concerning my delay PPT. She ran more tests and is hoping it was a false positive as it was just 3 seconds away from normal clotting time. Here's hoping.  Those results should be in by Friday and if all is good she will give Conceptia the go ahead. Then I believe our next step is the Mock transfer next..  I am not going to lie..  I'm stressed. I feel like we are getting short on time. Hopefully it will still work out to cycle in June/July. So progress.. but still have a ways to go. Thanks for checking in! Sure makes it nice to chat with someone who has been here and through the process as well. :)

Sept 23,15 Injections

#18 Ren

Ren
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 02:51 PM

I thought I had replied to you last week, I guess I forgot to push send.

The puppies are Golden Retrievers, 4 weeks old yesterday.

I'm always hungry, always tired, and started having cravings. The twins are great, everything came back normal at their 12 week ultrasound, now waiting for the 20 weeks to see them again and we get to find out what gender they are. Can't wait.

Good luck with your cycle, hope you get to start really soon..

IVF  #1 (Jan/Feb 2015)

#19 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 07:23 AM

What beautiful puppies!! Lucky you!

Haha, well you are eating for two. Makes sense that you are always hungry.  Glad the 12 week apt went well!! It will be so exciting to know Gender. I don't know how some people can wait for  birth to find out. I have no self control I would NEED to know..

We had a minor set back this week. My insulin is slightly elevated.( whatever that means, I don't have sugar/diabetes)  So they prescribed Metformin for 6 weeks then we re-test on June 15th. So we are looking at Middle of June IF test comes back ok before we can even do the mock. After Mock do you wait for your next AF and do 21 days BCP. Then wait for next AF and start hormones?  That's kind of what it looks like on the cycle sheet they gave me. So probably wont be able to cycle until Aug if I am understanding the process correctly. Did you have to take anything  other than  the IVF hormones for your cycles? we are disappointed that we have to wait 6 weeks but they said insulin will effect egg quality and don't want to rush anything that might have negative effect on our chances of success. We can only afford to do one round IVF and a couple FET's.

Sept 23,15 Injections

#20 Ren

Ren
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:36 AM

HI Patiently Waiting,

Our puppies are the cutest, they will be 5 weeks on Monday, they love attention now and just want to be cuddled whenever they can.

I never understood how people could wait for the surprise either, I'd want to know what I'm having. I use to think I wouldn't be announcing what I was having in case my second child was the other gender, but now that there is no chance for us to get pregnant again, might as well just get what we need.

I'm sorry about your set back, when I first started my cycle I was impatient and wanted to get going right away. But now that I know how hard it is, and how our completely textbook cycle only gave me 2 great eggs with nothing to freeze, I'd say take the time you need to make sure you have the best quality eggs, I know its more complicated and inconvenient now, but if you rush it, you may regret it later on. And its out of your hands, so you might as well just be happy with the timeline you will have.

They want the mock before starting you on BCP, so hopefully the mock will fall right before your AF, mine fell a few days after so I had to wait almost a month before starting BCP. And I did BCP for 24 or 25 days I think it was. The last day of BCP is the first day I started the suppression injections (in my case, also the day I roll my car down a cliff, injecting myself at that point wasn't as big a deal as I thought it would be). The day you start BCP is the day your suppression starts even if there are no injections yet, you need your ovaries to shut down to give you better eggs when you stimulate them. I still have my calendar on my computer that the clinic gave with all the dates, its the only way I remember how long anything was.

Good luck, can't wait to get an update from you.

IVF  #1 (Jan/Feb 2015)

#21 Patiently Waiting

Patiently Waiting
  • 77 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:59 AM

Hi Ren,

Happy Mothers day!!! Hope you are being spoiled today. This time next year you will be celebrating with your sweet twins in your arms! I could not be more happy for you. :)

You are right, I would much rather take the time and meds to improve outcome than not. It is so hard not to be impatient.  I start my new job at the end of August and wont have any sick days banked. Not sure how I am going to work around having so many days off for the ER and Transfer.  Dr Breault ( urologist doing PESA) is also off first two weeks of August.  But like you said it is out of my control. Just hoping it all works out for the best so im not super stressed about managing work. I would rather not have to tell my new boss about IVF if I don't have to.

Hope you are able to enjoy today with your sweet step daughters. Mine are with their Mama today. <3

Sept 23,15 Injections

#22 Ren

Ren
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts

Posted 15 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

Hi Patiently Waiting,

I didn't have time to get spoiled for Mothers Day, did a lot of running around though. I bought some flowers for the girls to give their mom and she was having a rough day so it really cheered her up.

I had good co-workers so my boss and all my co-workers were aware of what I was doing from the original meetings. I personally found that it was easier to say why I'd be having so many appointments and everyone was really supportive, I wouldn't have been able to hide it very well or come up with excuses for all the times I was late coming in to work. Try not to stress too much, its not good for your system, try to take the time to you can to relax and spend quality times with your step-daughters.

IVF  #1 (Jan/Feb 2015)