8 replies to this topic

#1 Vienna35

Vienna35
  • 7 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Toronto

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:44 AM

Hi, 
I just finished my 2 IVF.  Both of my cycle resulted in chemical pregnancies.  On my first cycle i had a day 3 transfer, my embryos were not so great and i had nothing to freeze afterwards.  My second IVF cycle was actually quite opposite.  We transferred 2 best quality embryos, one of which was hatching at the time of the transfer.  The doctor was convinced that we had a great chance to get pregnant.   

Prior to my first IVF, i had a laporoscopy done which showed that i had a stage III endometriosis.  The endo was removed.  Both cycles resulted in chemical pregnancies.  With both cycles i started to bleed 3 days prior to my BETA, essentially what was happening as i cheated and took a pregnancy test which was positive and almost immediately i was starting to bleed.  On both times I went to the doctor's office to have a blood work done and it confirmed a chemical pregnancy.   

With these cycles I was not given any progesterone/estrogen after the transfer.  I asked the doctor as to why i did not need to take it and on both cycles he told me that my hormones were high enough and i did not need it.  However, i noticed that everyone who does IVF has to take the hormones after a transfer.  Can it be that both times my hormones were dropping too fast that it could not sustain the pregnancy.   What else i can ask my doctor to test me for?   

I still have 4 embryos to transfer and I want to give the best chance.  I need to know as to what i can do to increase my chances.  I am afraid that my doctor is not willing to change the protocol as he constantly says that it just the matter of attempts.  So far, we tried twice, the protocol was not really changed. I was not given anything to support a pregnancy after the transfers.   I feel absolutely devastated as we spent so much money already and still do not have a baby.   I feel discouraged and need some sort of reassurance that at the end of the day we will have a baby and everything will be OK.  Both times the bleeding started at exactly the same time which kinda tells me that it somehow is connected to the hormones drop or some sort of immunology issue....  Please if you share the same experience, let me know what i can do to increase the chances....

#2 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 570 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:10 AM

I'm certainly no dR...but I have done MANY ivf's and have never heard of not taking anything after transfer. and it's always emphasized that the progesterone and estrogen are vital in supporting the pregnancy. I'm almost not surprised that you bled before beta. I'm so sorry you are going through this.
  • smurfette_w, kristeen033 and Vienna35 like this
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone.Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found.1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#3 BourneErin

BourneErin
  • Global 100+
  • 128 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:LifeQuest

Posted 11 March 2015 - 11:34 AM

I'm so sorry @Vienna35 how difficult a time to go through for you. I would tell your Dr. that you would like a second opinion or demand that you try with a progesterone supplement the next time.  I also had surgery to remove endometriosis prior to starting my fertility treatments and for everything I was on some kind of progesterone therapy after the IUI and/or IVF's. All my hormones were great and my uterine lining always looked great but they still put me on it so I would be very curious as to what the reasoning behind not putting you on something was. Another few things I tried for successful implants (which some people do not believe in or do) was acupuncture and red raspberry tea. I will say the tea I only used for the times coming up to the transfer so I would start it 3 months before and then stop it a day or so before the transfer as I had heard it may not be good if you are pregnant. But leading up to pregnancy helps to improve uterine lining, blood flow etc. Good Luck with everything! I hope you can find some answers soon 

• Vienna35 likes this

#4 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 11 March 2015 - 01:13 PM

Vienna, I would definitely go with what your gut is saying.  I've never heard of women not taking prog/est. after transfer.  Get a second opinion for sure.  ((hugs))

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#5 Momster

Momster
  • 70 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland Fertility Clinic/VFC

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:23 PM

Hi, I am very sorry for your loss.
Just like you I also have endo which made it difficult to get pregnant. What made the difference for me was immune system suppression and intalipids before FET. My body was killing/fighting embryos as foreign bodies but after suppression it was not able to do it fast enough. By the time immune system was restored embryos were strong enough to fight for themselves.
  • Vienna35 likes this
Me: 38 DH: 42 diagnosed with Stage 4 Endometriosis, 4 Laparoscopies IVF#1 Sep./Oct.2011 BFN (Retrieved 16 eggs, Fertilized 8, Transferred 2 day3, Frozen 2)FET#1 Jan. 2012 BFN (natural cycle)IVF#2 Apr./May 2012 - BFN (Retrieved 11 eggs, Fertilized 7, Transferred 2 day5, Frozen 0)IVF#3 Sep./Oct.2012 - no transfer (Retrieved 7eggs, Fertilized 0,)IVF#4 Apr./May 2013 - BFN (Retrieved 8 eggs, Mature 7 eggs, Fertilized 6 eggs, Transferred 3 day3)IVF#5 June/July 2013 - no transfer due to endo. (Retrieved 15 eggs, Mature 11 eggs, Fertilized 10 eggs, 4 blasts frozen)FET#2 Oct 16, 2013 transferred 3 day 5 embryos (ovulation like cramps Oct17-Oct 26)First HPT- Oct 23 BFPFirst Beta- Oct 28 - 1,717 (twins? triplets?)Second Beta- Oct 30 - over 4,000Beta- Nov.8- 60,000U/S - Nov.8- Twins (6 weeks started bleeding/spotting)<p>April 15, 2014- 28 weeks and counting....June19, 2014-Twins are here @ 37weeks and 6days.
Girl 8.3 lb and Boy 7.5 lb

#6 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 570 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 12 March 2015 - 08:55 AM

I second what momster said. That worked for my endo as well.
  • Vienna35 likes this
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone.Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found.1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#7 JennyVan

JennyVan
  • Global 100+
  • 144 posts
  • My Clinic:Oliver Fertility Center

Posted 13 March 2015 - 03:20 PM

Hi, 
I just finished my 2 IVF.  Both of my cycle resulted in chemical pregnancies.  On my first cycle i had a day 3 transfer, my embryos were not so great and i had nothing to freeze afterwards.  My second IVF cycle was actually quite opposite.  We transferred 2 best quality embryos, one of which was hatching at the time of the transfer.  The doctor was convinced that we had a great chance to get pregnant.   

Prior to my first IVF, i had a laporoscopy done which showed that i had a stage III endometriosis.  The endo was removed.  Both cycles resulted in chemical pregnancies.  With both cycles i started to bleed 3 days prior to my BETA, essentially what was happening as i cheated and took a pregnancy test which was positive and almost immediately i was starting to bleed.  On both times I went to the doctor's office to have a blood work done and it confirmed a chemical pregnancy.   

With these cycles I was not given any progesterone/estrogen after the transfer.  I asked the doctor as to why i did not need to take it and on both cycles he told me that my hormones were high enough and i did not need it.  However, i noticed that everyone who does IVF has to take the hormones after a transfer.  Can it be that both times my hormones were dropping too fast that it could not sustain the pregnancy.   What else i can ask my doctor to test me for?   

I still have 4 embryos to transfer and I want to give the best chance.  I need to know as to what i can do to increase my chances.  I am afraid that my doctor is not willing to change the protocol as he constantly says that it just the matter of attempts.  So far, we tried twice, the protocol was not really changed. I was not given anything to support a pregnancy after the transfers.   I feel absolutely devastated as we spent so much money already and still do not have a baby.   I feel discouraged and need some sort of reassurance that at the end of the day we will have a baby and everything will be OK.  Both times the bleeding started at exactly the same time which kinda tells me that it somehow is connected to the hormones drop or some sort of immunology issue....  Please if you share the same experience, let me know what i can do to increase the chances....

So sorry to hear your situation. I'm 4 days away from my Beta test right now. I had a similar situation the first time around and I was very adamant about having changes surrounding my endometrium. I do find it weird that you didn't need post estrace and progesterone. I would look into another clinic and ask if they do estrace and progesterone vaginal tablets. Luckily I had started doing fertility acupuncture and they wanted to see a lot of my charts.So I got put on Synthyroid to bring my levels down and they started my husband on a cleanse to get his sperm healthier. Also cause of my thick lining concerns the first time they did what was called a stiring or a scraping of the uterus the month previous to the treatment. It is painful as hell and similar to someone taking a bottle cleaner to you uterus. I was also put on low dose asprin 81mg, baby asprin. Not sure if it was the acupuncture, the asprin or the uterus stiring but I found my next menstration hads almost no clots.

• Vienna35 likes this

40years old, DH 42

TTC for 5 years

2 UIU Cycles failed
First IVF 3 day embryo transfer BFN

2nd IVF proceedure with acupunture.

Estrance Antagonist one month before.

Uterine "Scrapping" "Stirring" "Mixing" the cycle before IVF cycle.

9 Eggs retrieved 8 fertilized 3 survived to 5 day blastocycst

2 4bb Blastocycst transferred. March 5

1 blastocycst did not survive for freezing.

First Beta 349 BFP!!! 11dpt March 16

Second Beta 5394 18dpt March 23 Still sticking!!

1st Ultra Sound April 1 measuring 6weeks 4day. H/B 125

2nd Ultra Sound April 13 baby measured 8weeks 4 days H/B 165

1st Midwife appointment April 14

1st NT bloodwork April 28 all good.

2nd Midwife appointment

3rd Ultra Sound NT Scan H/B 145 May 11

2nd NT bloodwork June 3

3rd Midwife appointment June 9 Found out baby was high risk for Downs

Panorama test done and sent out June 9

Midwife called June 16 with Panorama test results. Baby low risk for Downs.

4th Ultrasound July 8. Sleepy little dude or dudette couldn't find out the sex. Appointment is at the same time as the last one. Next one ask for a non noon appointment. Measured smaller 20w 3 days.

4th Midwife appointment July 9 Confirm Girl or Boy got envelope.

Vacation time!!!

Openned envelope confirming it's a Boy!!! Out goes the list of girl names.

Bought my first onsie at the NW String Summit.

Doctors appoint Thyroid to high adjust medication July 29

Two hour glucose test July 30

5th Midwife Appointment Aug 12

EDD Nov 19, 2015

sIB9.png

#8 MeAgain101

MeAgain101
  • 23 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 16 March 2015 - 09:56 PM

Hi, [/size]I just finished my 2 IVF.  Both of my cycle resulted in chemical pregnancies.  On my first cycle i had a day 3 transfer, my embryos were not so great and i had nothing to freeze afterwards.  My second IVF cycle was actually quite opposite.  We transferred 2 best quality embryos, one of which was hatching at the time of the transfer.  The doctor was convinced that we had a great chance to get pregnant.   [/size]Prior to my first IVF, i had a laporoscopy done which showed that i had a stage III endometriosis.  The endo was removed.  Both cycles resulted in chemical pregnancies.  With both cycles i started to bleed 3 days prior to my BETA, essentially what was happening as i cheated and took a pregnancy test which was positive and almost immediately i was starting to bleed.  On both times I went to the doctor's office to have a blood work done and it confirmed a chemical pregnancy.   [/size]With these cycles I was not given any progesterone/estrogen after the transfer.  I asked the doctor as to why i did not need to take it and on both cycles he told me that my hormones were high enough and i did not need it.  However, i noticed that everyone who does IVF has to take the hormones after a transfer.  Can it be that both times my hormones were dropping too fast that it could not sustain the pregnancy.   What else i can ask my doctor to test me for?   [/size]I still have 4 embryos to transfer and I want to give the best chance.  I need to know as to what i can do to increase my chances.  I am afraid that my doctor is not willing to change the protocol as he constantly says that it just the matter of attempts.  So far, we tried twice, the protocol was not really changed. I was not given anything to support a pregnancy after the transfers.   I feel absolutely devastated as we spent so much money already and still do not have a baby.   I feel discouraged and need some sort of reassurance that at the end of the day we will have a baby and everything will be OK.  Both times the bleeding started at exactly the same time which kinda tells me that it somehow is connected to the hormones drop or some sort of immunology issue....  Please if you share the same experience, let me know what i can do to increase the chances....[/size]

I also have endo. It did 3 cycles.. 2 which were treated with Medrol (16mg) for 5 days starting ER... It is a cortisteriod to quiet the immune system,,many studies have shown that endo ladies, like myself, have High NK cells which attack any embryo that is attempting to attach .. I was never tested, they just treated.. (I got my own Medrol for my last cycle as the new RE woukdn't give me any) anyway, they cycle I had none didn't work.
I'd ask your RE about treating for high NK cells :)

#9 Highest hopes

Highest hopes
  • Global 100+
  • 660 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:McGill, OriginElle, Aurora, & RUH

Posted 26 March 2015 - 10:57 PM

Are intralipids usually recommended for Endo?
Good to know about the Medrol.
I will be at McGill and I don't think they do immune treatments there.
Perhaps I should try a consult with Victoria? - would they prescribe remotely?
Any advice would be appreciated.
Dx: Age & Endometriosis & Tubal

IUI & IVF & FET = BFN
Pinterest.com/aquablueglow

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: FET, Failed IVF, Hope, Endometriosis, Hormones