9 replies to this topic

#1 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:1st Clinic- Heartland, 2nd-Sanford

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:16 PM

I just found out today that I have anembryonic pregnancy at 8 weeks and 2 days. Just an empty gestational sac. I have no cramping or spotting. This was my first pregnancy after a while of trying. I Got pregnant this cycle by getting the ovidrel and IUI.

WHat do you recommend?
D&C? Or Misoprostol?

For those of you have had either procedure, what was your experience? PRos/cons?

I would like to get in for IVF cycle as soon as possible...once I get a period .
This is all very new to me.

THank you in Advance!

#2 Beth83

Beth83
  • Global 100+
  • 372 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 03:48 PM

I'm sorry you are going through this :(

I did not know they would offer a D&C that early on.  It sounds invasive to me given how tiny the sac would be.  I have personally heard of people using misoprostol and having some bleeding and cramping but that it is a fairly quick process as your body is smart and knows it needs to shed that sac.

ME: 30 31 DH: 31
Married: 2008 TTC #1 since 2010
Diagnosed Mar/13 with severe MF - waiting for IVF w/ICSI
Natural BFP Dec/13!…Our Miracle...Sadly our Angel baby boy was born still May 7/14 at 23 weeks
…If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever…

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#3 GingerBelle

GingerBelle
  • Global 100+
  • 437 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 26 February 2015 - 04:26 PM

I'm expecting the same news tomorrow, and I'll probably opt for the drugs because I think a D&C is a little much and not really necessary this early on (unless there are issues miscarrying).  Plus, D&C has some risk factor for uterine scarring.

IVF/ICSI #1 - June/July 2012
1 day 5 blast transferred
2 frozen day 5 blasts
DS born March 2013 heart.gif

FET #1 - 1 4BB blast transferred January 28, 2015

Beta #1 - February 10 - 701!

Beta #2 - February 16 - 5249!

1st Ultrasound - Blighted Ovum at 6w2d

2nd Ultrasound - Confirmed Blighted Ovum

M/C at 7 weeks cry.gif

#4 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:37 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss and having to go through this, I've just gone through it and wouldn't wish it on anyone.  I had the Miso... pregnancy lost at 7 weeks (but sac wasn't empty)... it was a horrific experience, alone in my bathroom at Christmas, blood clots the size of lemons into a sterilized pan, bathroom looked like a murder zone.  My Dr prescribed a choice of Percocet or Morphine (I chose Percocet since I'd had it before and knew its effects), both to numb the pain of the contractions and also to numb my brain to get me through it, I'd highly recommend, and take 30-60 min before you start with the Miso don't wait until the cramps start.  I finally passed the sac on the 2nd day, intact (kept and brought to lab for genetic testing), kept releasing clots through the next week... then had to go through it all a second time because there was still a piece of tissue left on ultrasound.  In total I bled for a ridiculous 5 weeks, much of it the "soaking through pads every couple of hours" type of bleeding, iron and hemoglobin plummeted.  RE gave me the option of D&C, but advised the Miso as first choice "if I thought I could handle it", and I'd trust him with my life so took his advice.  I have everything against me in this IVF journey (age, no eggs, bad eggs, etc), except the health of my uterus which is "perfect" as far as we know.  Even though the risk of scarring/injury to the uterus might be low, I wasn't willing to take that risk.  Even for the second round of Miso, I was determined at all costs to avoid the D&C.  I was stressed for 5 weeks until my beta finally went down to zero, so scared I might still need the D&C anyway.  My RE said the recovery time from D&C was longer than from the drugs, even though it seems like it's "done and over with" quickly, it's an unnatural procedure vs. just forcing your body to do something itself.  However he still wants my cycles regular again before we do another cycle, which usually takes 2 cycles.  I will say honestly, as horrible as the Miso was, I would choose it again over a D&C.  D&C isn't worth the risk for me, but might depend on your situation.  I just got my period now just 3 weeks after the 5 weeks of bleeding stopped, and did notice cervical mucous 2 wks earlier (just after bleeding ended) indicating ovulation, looks like my body is regulating back to normal pretty quick and I'd expect my next period will be in 4 weeks normal.  I think there are widely varying experiences with the Miso, my RE said I definitely had the worst possible, but you'll read online a lot of horror stories and personally I was really glad I read as much as I could and was fully prepared.  Feel free to PM me if you have any Qs or for support if/when you go through it.  Hugs to you, stay strong.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#5 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts

Posted 03 March 2015 - 11:17 AM

Thank you for sharing your experiences.

It was such a tough decision. But i went with the miso and am taking T3S for pain relief. fingers crossed that i won't need a d&c.i will have a follow up ultrasound one week after miso.

#6 GingerBelle

GingerBelle
  • Global 100+
  • 437 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive

Posted 03 March 2015 - 05:15 PM

I just went though this same thing, and ended up going with the Miso.

I inserted the medication at about 6pm on Friday and started getting bad cramps about 4-5 hours after.  Then I took a couple advil and went to bed around 10-10:30.  Started bleeding and passing clots around 4am.  I probably had a dozen clots about the size of my thumb.  Then by around 10 am, the worst was over and it turned to just bleeding.  I had no idea whether or not I had passed the sac, even though I tried to look for it.  Over the following days (Saturday and Sunday, i continued to bleed but not much else passed.  Cramps came and went.  Monday morning, first thing, I passed the sac.  Since then, it's just been on and off cramps, and AF like bleeding.

FX it works for you and you do not require a D&C.  So sorry you have to deal with this.

IVF/ICSI #1 - June/July 2012
1 day 5 blast transferred
2 frozen day 5 blasts
DS born March 2013 heart.gif

FET #1 - 1 4BB blast transferred January 28, 2015

Beta #1 - February 10 - 701!

Beta #2 - February 16 - 5249!

1st Ultrasound - Blighted Ovum at 6w2d

2nd Ultrasound - Confirmed Blighted Ovum

M/C at 7 weeks cry.gif

#7 Ttc&praying

Ttc&praying
  • Global 100+
  • 112 posts

Posted 05 March 2015 - 02:10 AM

The miso has gone well. I had lots of cramps and bleeding including clots 8 to 14 hours after the misO. Im assuming the gestational sac would look like a clot. If so I likely passed it.

Just very light bleeding after the 2nd dose And no more cramps.

Emotionally speaking taking the miso helped me with closure Process. I had done most of my grieving before I even started taking the medication. So I accepted what my body had to do.

It iss worked well so far. Will find out next week To check for any retained products.

Thank you so much for your support during this time.

#8 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 06 March 2015 - 05:44 PM

Depending how far along, and whether it was intact, you would normally notice the sac especially if you were trying to notice it (ie. into a pan, vs. into toilet where things can easily disappear) -- unless with a blighted ovum might be a bit different?  Sac could be attached to a blood clot, but normally itself is a clear fluid-filled membrane and you can see things inside.  I was worried I wouldn't notice it, also thinking it would be lost in the clots (my clots were massive).  At first I was saving all the big clots in the fridge, since Dr had given me a sterile container and lab req to bring the "products of conception" to the lab for chromosomal testing.  But then when I passed the sac there was no mistaking it... there was 1 clot that looked like it had a whitish discoloured part on one side, so I flipped it over gently, and there it was.  I found it very emotionally shocking even though you couldn't really "see anything", and cried for hours at that point.  I think sometimes things can take several days to pass, including the sac itself.  For me 5 days later out of the blue I passed another big clot after I'd only been bleeding lightly for several days.  But then bleeding got stronger again, and also after I had to do the miso a 2nd time.  Hopefully the miso has done it's job for you and everything is cleared out and healing, and D&C isn't needed (but do know that miso a 2nd time is an option too).  Let us know how it goes, and be sure to take it easy and be gentle with yourself -- the suddenly plummeting hormones + blood loss + grief can really do a number on you.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#9 Windsor

Windsor
  • Global 100+
  • 163 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:FCC

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:28 PM

Just wanted to share my story. I chose the Cytotec & Percocet for my 8 week blighted ovum. Took 4 pills orally at noon on Friday. Began cramping severely by 3.30 pm & took a Percocet, which took about 1/2 hour to work. I used a heating pad on my abdomen which I recommend. I also recommend you prepare ahead of time to clear your schedule for a minimum of 3 days to stay at home, you need to be near the toilet 24/7.

#10 Windsor

Windsor
  • Global 100+
  • 163 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:FCC

Posted 10 June 2015 - 12:37 PM

Sorry I hit reply before I finished and don't see an edit option for my post so am continuing it here. Also buy Always extra heavy overnight maxi pads with wings beforehand, Gatorade, juices, crackers with salt, chocolate, vitamins with iron, for keeping up your energy during the hours of bleeding. I started bleeding heavily by 5 pm, started bleeding clots the size of lemons by 8 pm. Continued on until 5 am Saturday morning. All day Saturday I bled heavily. Saturday night into all day Sunday I had labor pain type contractions which the Percocet barely helped. Stand up slowly, the clots sort of pour out suddenly. Slowed to a moderate bleed by Tuesday afternoon. Took about 80 hours to pass the majority of the tissue & clots. Be prepared with extra towels, extra pajamas, and a waterproof pad to put down on your bed and sofa to rest on in case you leak, the blood loss will be heavy for many hours. I felt unprepared for what happened. My dr said said to expect "some cramps and some bleeding". It was more like labor contractions and passing huge clots for days. I got weak and needed my husband to bring me drinks and food, and we checked my blood pressure hourly at times, it got low but thankfully not too low & I never fainted.
The miso was a horrible experience for me but I still preferred that to a possibly damaging d&c.