3 replies to this topic

#1 fatima

fatima
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 24 February 2015 - 09:27 PM

How can it be possible that egghelpers.com exist considering that advertising eggdonors is ilega? Does anybody know about them???

#2 s00n

s00n
  • 1000+
  • 1247 posts
  • Interests:Him- Potential SA issues Me- PCOS like crazy/anovulation/long cycles. Started TTC before 30.TTC/Secondary Infertility(2008-2015) - Adopted from public system in Ontario 2012.Freeze-All IVF after OHSS, and successful FET 2015 @ 36Yrs Old.
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 25 February 2015 - 09:15 AM

Different jurisdictions have different rules about advertising, so maybe they operate somewhere that it's legal.

See my about me page for details on our IF journey including adoption and other avenues.

#3 SherryLevitan

SherryLevitan
  • Advisor
  • 105 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:21 AM

The legal framework in Canada is far from clear. Interestingly enough, there is no prohibition against paying an egg donor agency to help you find a donor because the federal legislation is silent on the issue. What is prohibited is purchasing, offering to purchase, or advertising the purchase of eggs from a donor. We are only allowed to reimburse a donor's out of pocket expenses. Although the section that deals with the reimbursement of expenses is not yet law, it is recommended that anyone giving funds to a donor limit the reimbursement to those expenses that are reasonable, and connected to the donation.

I think the bottom line is that anyone can take their search for an egg donor public and the posts/notices will not violate the federal law unless there is mention of the exchange of funds that are not limited to reimbursement of expenses.

That having been said, there are still lots of questions to ask any donor agency before you commit to working with that agency. Let me know if you need more information.
SL
  • s00n likes this

#4 Tess

Tess
  • 1000+
  • 1495 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 27 February 2015 - 02:18 AM

I've heard all of the donors are altruistic.  

• MB. and juice like this