Contemplating IVF with PGS at 40 - and new to board! - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Contemplating IVF with PGS at 40 - and new to board!

unexplained infertility

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 mrscargie

mrscargie
  • 78 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Clinic / Mount Sinai

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:00 AM

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the board from a referral from a friend. My hubby and I have been TTC for baby #2 for the past 2 years. I've had 2 miscarriages in the past 10 months, and have done 2 IUI. I'm 40 years old.

My fertility doctor has suggested that based on all my tests, hormone screening etc...that we try and IVF cycle.

I'd like to get some feedback as to what some other people have gone through. My husband's "stuff" is fine and the doc believes that it's my eggs that are "old".

I' haven't gone to get a second opinion yet, but am thinking about it.

I don't know if I see this happening naturally for us at this point, because the odds are exactly in my favour. Just looking for feedback/success stories on the topic.

I'm taking a couple months off fertility treatments as I recently had my second miscarriage and hoping to move forward in April.

Thanks ladies!

Me: 41 DH: 43

Unexplained Secondary Infertility

We have a beautiful son conceived naturally born by ER C-section in 2011

5 Weeks PP, Deep Vein Thrombosis, blood clots formed in my leg, then went to my lungs!!!

Spent 10 days in hospital, on Warfarin for almost a year until end of 2012. Couldn't TTC until off blood thinners

Since then...

March 2014 - 1 Natural pregnancy ended in MC @ 6W

November 2014 - 1 IUI - BFN

December 2014 - 2nd IUI - BFP - MC @ 6W - moving to IVF

May 2015 - Started Stims for IVF, Menopur, Gonal F, Orgalutron, HCG,

6 retrieved, 4 fertilized, 2 made it to blast at 5 days

June 2015 - 5 day blast fresh transfer - BFN

August 2015 - FET scheduled

August 2015 - th_abfp.gif

September 2015 - Viability scan confirms blob with heartbeat thumbup.gif

October 2015 - 12 week scan and follow-up! It's a nailbiter! crsd.gif crsd.gif

Got my referral to Mount Sinai Special Pregnancy Program - very happy

15 weeks and listened to the beautiful music of the heartbeat nice and strong! thumbup.gif thumbup.gif  Fingers still crossed!

31 weeks along now. Can't wait to meet this little one!

Sarah Ashley was born on April 4th 2016, 1:41am, weighing a whopping 9 pounds 11 ounces!

#2 Dori77

Dori77
  • Global 100+
  • 702 posts
  • Interests:Reading, Skiing, Dogs.

Posted 12 February 2015 - 11:28 AM

Hi mrscargie - I say go for it if its not too much of a financial strain. Your miscarriages were likely due to lower egg quality. There are no guarantees with IVF but it will increase your chances. I wouldn't waste your time on a second opinion as long as you are comfortable with your current RE. Second opinions can take months and your other RE is likely to tell you the same thing.

Trying naturally in the meantime is always an excellent idea. That is our strategy anyway and it worked for us. We move forward with the treatments but try at home also.

Good luck

Me 38 & DH 40 TTC since July 2008

March 2009: m/c

July 2009: m/c

April 2010: BFP - Sadly Baby diagnosed with Cystic Hygoma and Trisomy 21. D&E at 16 weeks

Oct 2010: m/c due to Trisomy #3

March 2011: m/c

IVF#1 - September 2011 with PGD on my eggs (Chemical)

March 2012 - Septum Surgery for uterine septum & immune testing with Allan Beer & treatments

IVF#2 - July 2012 (BFN)

December 2012 - Surgery to remove uterine adhesions from previous D&C

IVF#3 - February 2013 (Chemical) - 5 blast frosties

April 2013 - Natural BFP Perfect Baby boy born January 2014 !

R2tVm5.png

TTC #2

February 2015 - FET (BFN)

May 2015 IUI#1 (BFN)

August 2015 IUI#2 - BFP !!!

November 2015 - Panorama results are in and we are team PINK !!!​

Beautiful Baby Girl born May 22, 2016
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#3 Discouraged

Discouraged
  • Just Hatched
  • 10 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 20 February 2015 - 06:55 PM

Hi Mrscargie, I am also close to 40 and trying for my second and have had 3 miscarriages, one a few days ago which was devastating. It was through our first IVF treatment since I found out I have a balanced translocated chromosome. So i am meeting with a PGD dr. I too am wondering about it. I believe the screening eliminated genetic deficiencies. If you were tested and don't have anything wrong with genetics I would say to try regular IVF treatment.

I find it so difficult to deal with especially since my 5 yr old keeps asking for a sibling and everyone around is asking when the 2nd one is coming.

If you're taking time off and would feel more comfortable with another opinion I would say go for it since you have a few months of not going through treatment. 

Good luck with it

#4 MeAgain101

MeAgain101
  • 23 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

I am 41- used my own eggs @40 or should say egg a the was only one after a full max dosage of Gonal F .. I had one follicle, one egg which fertilized naturally (no ICSI) he is now 7mo old :) I didn't do any PGS..

#5 MeAgain101

MeAgain101
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 March 2015 - 10:10 PM

I was 40 - used my own eggs or should say egg a the was only one after a full max dosage of Gonal F .. I had one follicle, one egg which fertilized naturally (no ICSI) he is now 7mo old :) I didn't do any PGS..

I am now 41 so tried to fix that :D the cycle was done at 40

#6 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13147 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 18 March 2015 - 09:08 PM

I am 40 - used my own eggs or should say egg a the was only one after a full max dosage of Gonal F .. I had one follicle, one egg which fertilized naturally (no ICSI) he is now 7mo old :) I didn't do any PGS..

I was 40 - used my own eggs or should say egg a the was only one after a full max dosage of Gonal F .. I had one follicle, one egg which fertilized naturally (no ICSI) he is now 7mo old :) I didn't do any PGS..

I am now 41 so tried to fix that :D the cycle was done at 40

Just curious.

How old are you?

40?

41?

42?

You've said that you are all three of those ages today.
  • GraceM and MeAgain101 like this

#7 MeAgain101

MeAgain101
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 March 2015 - 10:09 PM

Actually to be precise .. I was born Oct , 1973

did my cycle in Nov..at 40 month after my b-day) Gave birth August .. @41 ... Sorry about the confusion .. This October I'll be 42..

I get confused ..lol.. Must be the age :)
  • gibasgirl and Yearning like this

#8 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13147 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 19 March 2015 - 03:57 PM

Whew.

I was worried for a bit. You know my husband does something very similar. :)

• MeAgain101 likes this

#9 JennyVan

JennyVan
  • Global 100+
  • 144 posts
  • My Clinic:Oliver Fertility Center

Posted 23 March 2015 - 01:17 PM

My first IVF I didn't research much I just trusted the IVF doctors to know to tell me to do certain things. Which they do in a very quick list of facts along with the other facts. So with that said I had 6 embryos retrieved 5 embryos fertilized and they implanted 3 3day embryo IVF at the age of 39 in July.  Which failed to implant.

The next time around cause of the heartbreak I went through and the financial loss we decided to get outside help. Via Fertility Acupuncture at Acubalance for 3 month before. We had all the test done previously sent to the acupunturist so they could evaluate it. She put us on a strict diet of organic everything throw out all herbs over 1 year old. Also finding out what food allergies I had. She put me and my hubby on better quality Omega oil, CoQ10, Vit D and Antioxident. Lowered our liquor to 5 a week for the three months before. On top of all that she worked on lowing my thyroid levels. Which the acupuncturist thought was high at first. I told the IVF clinic and they got me on Synthyroid, a thyroid balancing medication. It went from 3.9 which was excessive to 2.35 which she described as "acceptable" for fertility but not as good a she would want. Eventually I was down to 1.43 by cutting out all gluten products. The acupuncturist said she thought this number was great! She also put me on Myo-insitol to balance my B vitamin it also worked great on my mood. Then of coarse the needles to help with my clotting issues that the IVF clinic also had me on low dose asprin but I found that the acupuncture helped heeps with my circulation. After 3 months of all these changes we started the 2nd IVF. Did the follicle stimulation. I had way more follicles at a more even rate of growth. They retrieved 9 embryos this time 8 became fertilized. 3 survived to day 5 blastocycst. I had 1 3ab blastocycst and 2 4bb blastocycst. They implanted the 2 4bb's. March 16 the day before my 40th birthday I got my beta back of 349 BFP. Went for my second beta today.

Hopefully everything sticks the questionable 3 months. 

Bottom line is that you should try IVF now. While you still have viable eggs to use but consult an outside source about any abnormalities that could lower the possibilities of conceiving.

• ociwoman likes this

40years old, DH 42

TTC for 5 years

2 UIU Cycles failed
First IVF 3 day embryo transfer BFN

2nd IVF proceedure with acupunture.

Estrance Antagonist one month before.

Uterine "Scrapping" "Stirring" "Mixing" the cycle before IVF cycle.

9 Eggs retrieved 8 fertilized 3 survived to 5 day blastocycst

2 4bb Blastocycst transferred. March 5

1 blastocycst did not survive for freezing.

First Beta 349 BFP!!! 11dpt March 16

Second Beta 5394 18dpt March 23 Still sticking!!

1st Ultra Sound April 1 measuring 6weeks 4day. H/B 125

2nd Ultra Sound April 13 baby measured 8weeks 4 days H/B 165

1st Midwife appointment April 14

1st NT bloodwork April 28 all good.

2nd Midwife appointment

3rd Ultra Sound NT Scan H/B 145 May 11

2nd NT bloodwork June 3

3rd Midwife appointment June 9 Found out baby was high risk for Downs

Panorama test done and sent out June 9

Midwife called June 16 with Panorama test results. Baby low risk for Downs.

4th Ultrasound July 8. Sleepy little dude or dudette couldn't find out the sex. Appointment is at the same time as the last one. Next one ask for a non noon appointment. Measured smaller 20w 3 days.

4th Midwife appointment July 9 Confirm Girl or Boy got envelope.

Vacation time!!!

Openned envelope confirming it's a Boy!!! Out goes the list of girl names.

Bought my first onsie at the NW String Summit.

Doctors appoint Thyroid to high adjust medication July 29

Two hour glucose test July 30

5th Midwife Appointment Aug 12

EDD Nov 19, 2015

sIB9.png

#10 jenmort

jenmort
  • 85 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Seattle Reproductive Medicine

Posted 10 July 2015 - 12:26 PM

I am 40, as well, and can attest that IVF with PGS is the only option I am pursuing at this time.  My first attempt resulted in only 2 of 9 retrieved eggs making it to Day 5 (blastocyst).  They looked good, so it was only because of PGS that we discovered that both were chromosomally abnormal -- had we implanted without PGS, I would be in a much different boat because they would've miscarried or resulted in BFNs.  Even though I knew it going in, the hard reality is that egg quality is significantly diminished at our age -- in fact, my RE told me that only 40% of embryos that make it to Day 5 are chromosomally normal for a woman my age, which is why PGS makes so much sense.  IVF with PGS creates the best chance of achieving the outcome we're all looking for, in my opinion.

Good luck to you, whatever route you end up choosing!

• GraceM likes this
IVF #1 - June 2015
AFC = 12, FSH = 10.3, AMH = 2.0
Antagonist Protocol (Gonal F 375/450, Menopur 75, Cetrotide)
BCP Start 5/17/15
Stim Start 6/14/15 - 11 days
Leuprolide Trigger 6/25/15
ER 6/27/15 - 9 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 9 ICSI'd, 5 fertilized
Day 3 6/30/15 - 5 still developing: 4 rated "good" 1 rated "fair"
Day 5 7/2/15 - 4 still developing: 2 "good" blastocysts biopsied and frozen, 1 morula waiting for Day 6, 1 fragmented
Day 6 7/3/15 - 2 stragglers arrested and discarded
PGS Results 7/6/15 - both blastocysts aneuploidy (#1 = monosomy 15 + trisomy 22; #2 = monosomy 2).  No transfer. 

IVF #2 - August 2015
Micro Dose Lupron Flare Protocol (Gonal F 375, Menopur 75, Lupron 10)
BCP Start 7/9/15
Suppression Check 7/29/15 - AFC 11 (6 L, 5 R)
Micro Dose Lupron (10 x2) Start 7/31/15
Stim Start 8/2/15 - 7 days
HCG Trigger (Novarel) 8/9/15
ER 8/11/15 - 11 eggs retrieved, 9 mature, 9 ICSI'd, 7 fertilized
Day 3 8/14/15 - 7 still developing:  all 7 rated "good"
Day 5 8/16/15 - 6 still developing:  3 "good" blastocysts biopsied and frozen, 2 "fair" + 1 "poor" waiting for Day 6Day 6 8/17/15 - 6 made it to blast and were biopsied and frozen!  All 6 now graded "good."  Waiting for PGS results...
PGS Results 8/20/15 - only 1 of 6 is chromosomally normal; 5 with various aneuploidy
FET Suppression Check 9/21/15 - all systems go!  Lead follicles ~10; lining at ~6. 
FET CD12 Ultrasound 10/1/15 - lead follicles at 12.5 and 13; lining at 7.8.
FET CD14 Ultrasound 10/3/15 - lead follicle at 17; lining at 11.  Got positive LH surge on OPK.
HCG Trigger (Novarel) 10/3/15
FET 10/9/15 - officially PUPO!
Beta 10/18/15 (9dp5dt) - results:  107.  BFP!  Officially pregnant!
Beta #2 10/21/15 (12dp5dt) - results:  294.
OB Ultrasound 11/10/15 (7w+2d) - baby measured behind at 6w+5d, with low heartbeat (88bpm)OB Ultrasound 11/16/15 (8w+1d) - no heartbeat.  Baby likely passed away at 7.5wks sad.png
D&C 11/20/15 to support further testing
WTF Meeting & Additional Testing Results 11/30 - Testing re-validated PGS normal results.  RE recommending moving forward with an additional OE cycle
February 2016 - anticipated cycle start for IVF #3 

Fast Forward 2 more IVF cycles...
FET 8/14/16 - 1 5-day embryo.  Froze 2 more!!!
Beta 8/23/16 - results:  336.  BFP!!!
Beta #2 8/26/16 - results:  1068.  REALLY BFP!!!
OB Ultrasound 9/13/16 (7w+0d) - FHR 136bpm, measuring at 7w+0d
OB Ultrasound 9/27/16 (9w+0d) - FHR 153bpm, measuring at 9w+2d (2 days ahead!)
NT Ultrasound 10/21/16 (12w+3d) - FHR 159bpm, measuring at 12w+6d (3 days ahead!).  Normal NT measurement, blood results indicate decreased risk for Trisomies 13, 18, & 21.We are having a baby boy, due 5/2/17.  :)<p> 

Our beautiful, absolutely perfect baby boy was born May 4th, 2017 at 8lbs 12oz and 20in long. Our hearts are full!

#11 mrscargie

mrscargie
  • 78 posts

Posted 10 July 2015 - 02:09 PM

Hey Jenmort,

Yeah, I'm starting to believe that the only way to have a better chance at a sucessful pregnancy at our age is PGS. I did a full IVF cycle back in May, and had a 5 day blast transferred which resulted in a BFN. I have one frostie and I'm scheduled for the transfer in August. I didn't do PGS on this frostie, we'll just see what happens. Worst case scenerio is a fresh round of IVF, PGS whatever I get (I got 4 on my first cycle) and then go from there. My major concern was that I didn't want any trauma to the eggs, if it could be helped. The fresh embryos fertilized on their own with no ICSI or anything so I was hopeful that doing a fresh transfer was my best option and my Dr. was on board.

I'll see what happens with my FET and take it one step at a time.

Good Luck!

• jenmort likes this

5 Weeks PP, Deep Vein Thrombosis, blood clots formed in my leg, then went to my lungs!!!

Spent 10 days in hospital, on Warfarin for almost a year until end of 2012. Couldn't TTC until off blood thinners

Since then...

15 weeks and listened to the beautiful music of the heartbeat nice and strong! thumbup.gif thumbup.gif  Fingers still crossed!

Sarah Ashley was born on April 4th 2016, 1:41am, weighing a whopping 9 pounds 11 ounces!

#12 Miss_Boos

Miss_Boos
  • Global 100+
  • 272 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Astra Fertility

Posted 12 July 2015 - 07:00 PM

hi ladies,

I'll be 40 in December, and we're just trying for our first, and I'm very worried about egg quality. My grandmother had my mom at 40 and my uncle at 45, so I'm hoping I have some of her genes :)

my DR and I are newlyweds, but we both had a practice marriage before, so trying at 40 isn't what I imagined, but, I wouldn't trade my guy for it :)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Me - 39 - type 1 Diabetic (30 years), last A1C 6.8!

DH - 40 - Low Count, Low Motility

Parents to 3 wonderful fur-kids, Jade, Luna & Titan and one fur Angel, Miss you everyday Steeler heart.gif 

Failed IUI February 2015

IVF # 1 - August 2015, Freeze all, mild OHSS

FET # 1 - Sept 27 transfer, BFN on October 6

FET # 2 - November 20 2015 with remaining embryo, BFN, starting Ivf #2 Late August early September

#13 mrscargie

mrscargie
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 July 2015 - 08:31 AM

Miss_Boos,

I wish you much luck on your first IVF cycle!

Since then...

#14 Shawn29

Shawn29
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 October 2015 - 05:12 AM

I think you should get the second opinion regarding this and if you are ready to take the fertility treatment then I would like to suggest you to try fertility acupuncture as I have heard it is very effective in most of the cases. You can consult a good acupuncturist for more details.

Mod edit by Mouse 8:55 10/13/2015 to remove link to outside commercial site (please see Community guidelines).

If you are interested in advertising or promoting a specific service, clinic, or business, please contact the site admin for info.

#15 A.Anne

A.Anne
  • Just Hatched
  • 1 posts
  • My Clinic:Kelowna Regional Fertility Clinic

Posted 27 October 2015 - 04:38 PM

Hi, I just turned 43 and my husband & I decided to go the IVF ICSI CCR route. I was pregnant at 41 but miscarried. Since then we have been trying naturally again until Aug/Sept when we tried 2 IUI cycles...no success :(
I am on the Estrace Priming with HGH (human growth hormone) injections currently. Then start stims on Oct 30th...possible ER on Nov 12th. If we are lucky enough to have a blastocyte at 5 days, that or (those) will be sent for biopsy in the USA and if chromosomes look good, implanted on the following cycle.
Is there anyone else with similar timing or protocol? This is our first IVF (and only-no coverage in our province).....

#16 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 27 October 2015 - 06:50 PM

Hi Anne - glad you found us!  Many members on this site have done the estrogen primed protocol with HGH to great success.  Hoping you will count yourself among those numbers.  IVF can be a bit of an experiment...learning how your body responds and different people respond to different approaches but the most important opinion is your RE's...so...as much as is possible...I'd tune out as much noise as possible...trust your instincts and take each day as it comes.

You may wish to consider joining a cycle buddies thread or the 40+ & ttc community....great support systems with women going through the exact same thing you are...

https://ivf.ca/forums...tober-ivf-2015/

https://ivf.ca/forums...ember-2015-ivf/

https://ivf.ca/forums...r-trying-to-be/

Best of luck to you!

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#17 ideagirl

ideagirl
  • Global 100+
  • 261 posts
  • My Clinic:CCRM (Denver, CO)

Posted 29 October 2015 - 08:46 AM

I agree. I did IVF with CCS testing at 41 and we had no normal embryos. Knowing that, we were able to move on to donor egg (and now have wonderful gorgeous healthy twins, we're so happy!). Knowing that the embryos were abnormal helped me accept that that was probably why our previous IVFs had failed, and so it helped me decide to take a different path.

#18 mrscargie

mrscargie
  • 78 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 09:58 AM

Hey ladies,

Quick update on the thread I started almost a year ago...WOW! Time really flies!

After a lot of research and taking a few months off TTC my hubby and I decided we really wanted to try for a sibling for our DS, and so project sibling began in May 2015 with our first round of IVF.

I was so disappointed that after all the meds, tears, and stress, we retireved 6 follicles total and only 2 made it to day 5 blast. We transferred a fresh ebryo in June, which resulted in a BFN. sad.png I was devastated. We had one frostie left... what were we going to do??

We decided to go for it one more time in August and transferred our one remaining frostie.....

Guess what?? th_abfp.gif OMG!!!! yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

it's been a bit of a rollercoaster ride and I'm happy to say that we are now 17 weeks along, had a recent ultrasound and everything is measuring on track. We didn't do any PGS at the end of the day, we decided that the less interference, the better, and the embryo was a 5AA which is pretty well the best you can get!

Hoping for the most uneventful pregnancy for the next 23 weeks or so.

Don't lose hope. It can happen! thumbup.gif

• smurfette_w likes this

Since then...

#19 nkpdds

nkpdds
  • 8 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 06 November 2015 - 04:27 PM

Hello there,

Do the PGS, I would encourage all women over 40 to do it (and do IVF, don't waste time on IUI). Its the best way to make the best decisions without wasting too much time and money on repeated failed treatments. In the past 1 1/2 years I've had 2 failed IUI's and 3 failed IVF's. With the most recent 2 IVFs we did "batching" where you do freeze all IVF cycles and at the end do PGS on all the embryos. It saves on the cost of doing PGS after every cycle. Unfortunately we had very poor results (no chromosomally good embryos) but this helped me realize I need to move on to donor eggs. I wish I had done it from cycle 1 because we had 17 eggs retrieved then and if I had known exactly how poor my egg quality was it would have shaved 1 year off our journey. Over the past 1 1/2 years I've had 50 eggs retrieved thru IVF only 6 in total made it to the 5 day blastocyst stage, 2 did implant but both failed early (within 3 weeks, probably due to chromosomal defects). The facts are over 40 most of our eggs are of poor quality, PGS can give you a measurement of exactly how poor and help you make decisions.

• smurfette_w, GraceM and salty15 like this

#20 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 07 November 2015 - 02:12 AM

Yes, agree with nkpdds.  Mrscargie was very, very lucky, it's not the norm to have 1 out of 2 embryos for to be normal for a woman over 40, same goes for women who naturally conceive in their 40s.  These are rare.  If you can afford it and the embryos are growing well on Day 3, then get the PGS testing done. 

• GraceM likes this

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#21 salty15

salty15
  • Just Hatched
  • 14 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 08 November 2015 - 01:22 PM

Congratulations, Mrscargie – that's wonderful news! smile.png We too have one frostie awaiting us, so hoping that we'll get our BFP (and carry to term!) with that one. We can't afford PGS, so it will be luck of the draw ... fingers crossed!

***Today the doctor advised us going forward to do PGS, so we are going to try our darnest to save up enough to get them all tested.

Me: 39 (almost 40) DH: 57

Dx: DH had prostate cancer and his sperm frozen 10+ years ago; I have no known problems – my AMH when I was 38 was good/right for my age

2014:

IVF with ISCI #1

Gonal F (250iu I think! daily) + Cetrotide. 8 follicles, 8 eggs retrieved, can't remember how many were mature. One made it and was transferred at 3 days. Progesterone pessaries during 2ww. BFN

2015:

IVF with ISCI #2 (June/July)

Same drugs as before, but 300iu Gonal F. 8 follicles, 8 eggs retrieved, 4 mature. One made it and was transfered at 3 days. BFP! M/C at 4w 2d.

IVF with ISCI #3 (September/October)

Same drugs as for IVF 2. 10 follicles, 8 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 make it to blasocyst stage – two discarded; one (4AA) transfered at day 5; one (3AA) frozen. BFP! 7w 1d scan found no heartbeat. sad.png Second scan one week late (9 November) showed no growth and no heartbeat. Missed M/C diagnosed at 6w 1d.

2016:

IVF with ISCI and PGS #4

Planned for February (if we can save up enough $$$)

#22 AMexicanInHamilton

AMexicanInHamilton
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • My Clinic:CreATe

Posted 09 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

I am 44. I contacted several clinics and all said I should do donor egg (without even seeing me). When I absolutely refused, one said, "Ok, then IVF with PGS" and I said OK. At this point I would only do IVF with PGS...

Me: 45, DH, 57, TTC first child for both of us since April 2009

September 2010 – Parlodel, BFP, m/c 5w

January 2011 referred to the Hannam centre (Toronto), all tests were great: Dx: Unexplained. After a few days they called me to say they forgot to tell me I had a polyp (about 1mm) and I needed a hysteroscopy. My own doctor in Mexico City said I was perfect and the polyp was too small to matter.

August, 2013 – Omifin + IUI#1 (Mexico City) with sex selection (after all, everything was supposed to be perfect, and we both would prefer a girl if possible...), BFN

July, 2014 – Omifin + IUI#2 (Mexico City, no sex selection, this time I had an injection to trigger ovulation 36 hrs before IUI) BFP, 7w U/S slow heartbeat, 8w U/S no heartbeat, m/c 9w

April 6, 2015 – Omifin + IUI#3 (Xalapa, Veracruz) had the injection to trigger (also 36 hrs before IUI) but the day of the IUI it turned out that the sample had a low sperm count (2 million - maybe because we BD'd 36 hrs before IUI?), BFN

I became 44 on the 8th of July.

July 27, 2015 - Letrozole + injectables + trigger (12 hrs before IUI) IUI#4 (Hamilton, Ontario) I had 5 good follicles and hubby's sperm count was 18.5 million post wash. BFN!!!

August 22, 2015 - Letrozole + (a lot less) injections + trigger (Hamilton, Ontario) IUI#5. I had ONE (bigger) follicle and hubby's sperm count was 27 million post wash. BFN cry.gif

September 2015 - I put profiles on NRFA and MiraclesWaiting to find a match for an open embryo donation.

December 2015 - An embryo donor contacted me out of the blue through MiraclesWaiting!

January 2016 - Sonohysterogram and hysteroscopy at my new clinic in Toronto. 

February 2016 - All consent forms have been signed for the open embryo donation.

April 6, 2016 - Our four embryos were delivered Emoticons09793.gif

May 25, 2016 - FET #1; June 5 beta #1 = 6; June 7 beta #2 = 2 (stopped meds, went back to the clinic on day 2 of my period, started FET#2 straight way!)

June 27, 2016 - FET #2 = th_abfp.gif =  hCG @11dp5dt = 233; hCG @15dp5dt = 4222; hCG @18dp5dt = 7222; hCG @ 23dp5dt = 17000

July 8th, 2016 - I became 45 years old.

July 26th, 2016 -  first ultrasound, heart rate 118, measuring 6.4 weeks (@6.6 weeks)

August 2, 2016 - 2nd u/s - hr 154, measuring 7.5 w (@7.6w) Clot found. Rest prescribed.

August 9, 2016 - 3rd u/s - hr 179, measuring 8.2w (@8.6w) Clot still there.

August 16, 2016 - 4th u/s - hr 174, due date changed to March 16, clot same size as two weeks before so back to regular activity.

September 8, 2016 - NT scan. Doctor said everything was fantastic.... [nausea and headache killing me...].

October 3, 2016 - hr 144, midwife changed due date to March 20!!!! dontknow.gif [feeling better...]

#23 nkpdds

nkpdds
  • 8 posts
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 11 November 2015 - 11:27 PM

I understand wanting to try with your own eggs. When we started I was 41 and was told chances were very poor to get pregnant due to age. My fsh, amh, antral follicle count were all good which gave me hope. But these all measure quantity not quality. In the end PGS proved that even though i had lots of eggs none were good enough for a viable pregnancy. So if you must do IVF do it with PGS. But think about what's most important to you. Donor eggs would likely get you a baby (45-65% successful), IVF and PGS probably not (less than 2% successful over 43)
  • mouse and CdnHockeyGal like this

#24 mrscargie

mrscargie
  • 78 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 08:47 AM

Yes, agree with nkpdds.  Mrscargie was very, very lucky, it's not the norm to have 1 out of 2 embryos for to be normal for a woman over 40, same goes for women who naturally conceive in their 40s.  These are rare.  If you can afford it and the embryos are growing well on Day 3, then get the PGS testing done. 

I do consider myself truly so very, very, very lucky. We were considering batching our eggs and doing the PGS but at the end of the day, we decided that we had a stellar frostie and transferred our last one. I'm still in shock that it ended in a BFP. That being said, this pregnancy hasn't been without it's share of worries. I've still had to do the IPS and NIPT screen, I'm high risk and taking blood thinners (a complication with my first pregnancy) and I don't really feel "out of the woods" even though all tests have come back normal so far. Even when you do PGS, it doesn't screen for things like Autism, intellectual disabilities, sensory issues etc. That's always a chance you take no matter how old you are, however, there's a higher chance of this the older you and your eggs are.

I was also considering donor eggs as a next step and adoption if this didn't work out and I was happy that I had other plans and confident that we would be able to expand our family at some point. We got lucky with IVF!

• CdnHockeyGal likes this

Since then...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: unexplained infertility