What is the cost of IVF at the Calgary Fertility Clinic? - Page 2 - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

What is the cost of IVF at the Calgary Fertility Clinic?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#26 NewWorld

NewWorld
  • Global 100+
  • 230 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Calgary, now Victoria

Posted 06 December 2016 - 10:30 AM

Thank you everyone :)
This really helps.
Me: 29 30, Husband: 32 33

Dx: low morphology (1%), probably DOR (AMH 11.8)

DH on Nutraception, Chinese herbs & Acupuncture --> No improvement

August 2016 - IUI #1
Clomid 100mg, trigger Pregnyl 5000.
2.3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

One month break because of cysts.

October 2016 - IUI #2
cancelled due to early ovulation

One month break for SHG

December 2016 - IUI #3
Clomid 100mg, trigger Pregnyl 5000.
3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

February 2017 - IVF #1 to IUI
Antagonist protocol: started at 150 IU Gonal-F and 75 IU Luveris, baby aspirin.
After 4 days of injections, increased Gonal-F to 300 IU.
Luveris still at 75 IU, started Cetrotide 0.25mg.
Only 4 mature follicles --> Converted to Superovulation IUI.

Trigger Pregnyl 10000
3 million post-wash sperm count.
Taking baby aspirin and Prometrium.-->BFN
Two cycles break required for the ovaries to recover.

May 2017 - IVF #2 - cancelled after retrieval
Antagonist protocol: Dose increased to 300 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur.
8 days of stimulations.
6 eggs retrieved. All immature. Fertilization was not attempted.

Taking Chinese Herbs, DHEA, high dose of Ubiquinol and Inositol powder.

Switching to VFC, consulting with Dr. Hudson on July 17th
Diagnosed with DOR. Asked to continue DHEA until retrieval

August 2017 - IVF #3
Agonist/Antagonist Conversion Protocol.
Suprefact, Puregon, Repronex, Dexamethasone, Orgalutran, Trigger with HCG & Decapeptyl, Intralipid.

July 27 - Started Suprefact and stopped Chinese Herbs due to unknown interactions.
August 9 - CD 1
August 11 - Suppression confirmed
August 18 - last dose of Suprefact
August 20 - starting 300 IU Puregon, 150 IU Repronex, 1mg Dexamethasone & baby asprin
August 24 - added Orgalutran, first ultrasound and blood work in Calgary
August 26 - Flew to Victoria, first ultrasound and blood work with Dr. Hudson
August 30 - Hoping for 5-6 eggs. Triggered with 10,000 IU of Pregnyl and 0.2mg of Decapeptyl.
September 1 - Retrieval with Dr. Graham, 9 eggs retrieved, Intralipid infusion after the retrieval
September 2 - day 1 update - 6 eggs were mature, all ICSI'd and fertilized
September 3 - day 2 update - 2 of 6 embryos are at grade 1, 4 of 6 are at grade 2. Probably day 5 transfer
September 4 - day 3 update - day 5 transfer confirmed
September 6 - Transfer with Dr. Hudson, transferred 1 grade 2 blast, not sure yet how many will be frozen
September 7 - 1 day 6 grade 3 expanded blast frozen
September 14 - evening of 8dp5dt - BFP (faint positive)
September 18 - 12dp5dt - beta 220
September 20 - 14dp5dt - beta 446
September 22 - 16dp5dt - beta 1030

#27 Dijon1975

Dijon1975
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 31 January 2020 - 08:55 PM

I know this is a old post. Is there any one recently who did IVF in Calgary? How much does it cost for the whole process without insurance?

#28 KDP

KDP
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program

Posted 01 February 2020 - 01:34 PM

I did IVF with a fresh transfer in Dec 2017. I have insurance but they didnt cover the fertility meds. It was successful and was about $9700 all in. We didnt have to use any extras so our cost was comparatively affordable. We just did a successful FET in December 2019 and it was roughly $1900 all in but insurance covered most of those meds because they arent considered strictly fertility. All the prices for services are listed on the RFP website. You wont have an idea about the costs of meds until you get your protocol but once you get that the pharmacy can give you an idea of what thatll cost you! Hope that helps.

#29 Dijon1975

Dijon1975
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 12:41 PM

Thanks KDP. Congrats on your new pregnancy and that gives us some hope.

When you say your second FET is only $1900....does it include pickup, transfer and medication(or) you are just saying the transfer of the embryo? I have sunlife insurance and they said they do not cover fertility medication. Just wondering would you say half of the medication given during the treatment would be Non fertility drugs. 

Who was your doctor in RFP?

Maggie

#30 KDP

KDP
  • 8 posts

Posted 03 February 2020 - 08:54 PM

Hi Maggie,

I’m not sure what you mean by “pickup” but the $1900 was the transfer and my “co-pay” on the medication. I also have Sunlife and they didn’t cover any of the strictly fertility drugs for IVF so that cost was significant but the drugs for the FET aren’t considered strictly for fertility use (estradiol, prometrium and suprefact) so sunlife covers 80% of them. My lining is always thin so we spent a long time trying to build it (and rebuild it) so I was on all the FET meds for longer than most. My lining never got above a 6.2mm so if we hadn’t tried to get it thicker in the first place, my FET would have come in cheaper.

I see Dr. Foong. I love her and she was highly recommended by my family doc. I’ve seen them all over the past few years and find the, all to be on the same page as far as treatments go. I have only come across one I don’t appreciate but I know of other’s who see him and love him so it’s just a personality thing!

#31 Dijon1975

Dijon1975
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 01:42 PM

Thanks Kdp. 

When i say pickup -> this is the egg pickup and transfer is the transfer of embryo. Sorry these are the terms used in Indian fertility clinic. We had a BFN and now we are tired of all the journey and hassle and want to start in Calgary. The cost you mentioned for the fresh transfer $9800 CAD..is this all included? medicines, hospital stay etc. So am assuming after that you froze your embryos for 2 years and then transferred last december 2019. Is this right?

Maggie.

#32 KDP

KDP
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 08:58 PM

Hi Maggie,

My husband is from Mumbai so I completely understand getting tired of the journey and hassle of doing it over there.

I’m sorry to hear about your BFN. Hopefully you have more success here.

I did my egg retrieval (maybe what you call egg pickup?) back in 2018. From that cycle we got 8 eggs which resulted in 7 blastocysts. We did a fresh transfer 5 days after the retrieval which resulted in my daughter. We then froze the remaining 6 blastocysts. That process cost us $9800 which included everything (initial registration fee, all medications, the ultrasound monitoring, the egg retrieval, creating and monitoring the embryos prior to the transfer and the transfer itself). I think the base fee is about $1000 more now so it would be about $11,000 assuming the med costs were the same. As I said before, costs can add up quickly if you need “add-ons” things like ICSI or PGS testing which I didn’t require and the medication cost vary depending on the protocol you’re on. Just to note that there isn’t a hospital stay involved. Everything is done in the clinic. The longest part is the egg retrieval and you’re only there for about 2 hrs.

We pay roughly $400/year to store our embryos. In December, we just thawed the one and are continuing to pay for the storage of the remaining 5 until we decide what to do with them.

#33 Dijon1975

Dijon1975
  • Just Hatched
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 12:02 AM

Thanks KDP for the tips. I think Regional fertility clinic is the only one available in Calgary. I just did one IVF transfer last month and it failed. So now looking here. Can you let me know when you started the process and how long were you in medication before you did the pickup? I IMd you so if you are ok with it...can you please reply there too?

M

#34 xayyc

xayyc
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:RFP Calgary

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:11 PM

I know this is a old post. Is there any one recently who did IVF in Calgary? How much does it cost for the whole process without insurance?

Hi, the one we are considering is RFP Calgary, total cost of 1 cycle + ICSI + Drugs is around CAD 17.5k this  estimate is given on their website as well.

#35 xayyc

xayyc
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:RFP Calgary

Posted 05 February 2020 - 10:31 PM

Hi KDP, do you have any feedback for Dr. Benjamin Wong? We are consulting him for the initial investigations in our case at RFP. He has referred us for IVF.
Do you have the same doctor throughout or once referred to IVF, another doctor would take over?

Hi Maggie,

I’m not sure what you mean by “pickup” but the $1900 was the transfer and my “co-pay” on the medication. I also have Sunlife and they didn’t cover any of the strictly fertility drugs for IVF so that cost was significant but the drugs for the FET aren’t considered strictly for fertility use (estradiol, prometrium and suprefact) so sunlife covers 80% of them. My lining is always thin so we spent a long time trying to build it (and rebuild it) so I was on all the FET meds for longer than most. My lining never got above a 6.2mm so if we hadn’t tried to get it thicker in the first place, my FET would have come in cheaper.

I see Dr. Foong. I love her and she was highly recommended by my family doc. I’ve seen them all over the past few years and find the, all to be on the same page as far as treatments go. I have only come across one I don’t appreciate but I know of other’s who see him and love him so it’s just a personality thing!

#36 KDP

KDP
  • 8 posts

Posted 05 February 2020 - 11:41 PM

xayyc- I only saw Dr. Wong twice and I’ll admit he wasn’t my favorite but I think it was personality thing and never questioned his medical judgement. He just made a couple odd comments which turned me off him but I know of other ladies who have had him as their primary doc there and loved him.

I can’t totally remember but I think once you elect to do IVF, you’ll see Dr. Wong once more to go over your protocol. After that, you’ll see a different doctor every time you come in depending on who’s doing what on any given day. So it’s possible to see Dr. Wong during the process but it’s not a guarantee. So Dr. Foong is my primary doctor but I’ve had all of the other doctors do the monitoring ultrasounds at some point, Dr. Patterson did my retrieval and Dr. Gotz did my transfers. They only time I saw Dr. Foong again was when I went back to discuss an FET.

Hope that helps!

#37 CMRivf

CMRivf
  • Global 100+
  • 147 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 13 February 2020 - 03:29 PM

Hey Dijon, just thought I'd pop on here regarding Frozen Embryo Transfer. We are in the process now. Cost was $2105 and that included a 400-500ish dollar charge for Assisted Hatching. My first round of medication(1 month of Suprefact, baby aspirin, one bottle of estrogen and about 6 packs of prometrium) cost about $700. Luckily, our insurance covered everything but 60ish dollars.

IVF #1:

November 2017 - 23 Follicles, 18 Fertilized, 3 made it to Day 5, FREEZE ALL due to OHSS

FET #1:

January 31, 2018 - Begin Suprefact Nasal Spray(5x/day), baby Aspirin & Folic Acid

March 2, 2018 - Lining Check -> 8.6mm, transfer scheduled for March 8, 2018

March 8, 2018 - Transferred 1 embryo. Continue Prometrium, Estrace, baby Aspirin & Folic Acid

March 16-19, 2018 - HPTs th_abfp.gif 

March 20, 2018 - Beta Test - 115 (according to nurse, they like to see 250-500) Continue with Prometrium, Estrace & Folic Acid. Stop baby Aspirin.

​March 22, 2018 - Beta Test #2 - 332 th_abfp.gif Tentative due date of November 24, 2018. 7 week U/S booked for April 9. Continue Prometrium & Estrace until April 28.

November 27, 2018 - Healthy baby girl born at 10:32am, weighing in at 8lbs 4oz and 22.5" tall.

FET #2:

March 17, 2020 - Canceled due to Covid.

FET #3:

June 15, 2020 - Canceled due to unknown bleeding/cramping at cervix.

FET #4:

PROTOCOL CHANGES: Will switch to estrogen patches as well as vaginal estrogen. During lining check will test progesterone to make sure I haven't ovulated. Requested a ultrasound the morning of the transfer to make sure everything looks okay.

Sept. 12, 2020 - Begin Suprefact injections, baby aspirin and prenatal/DHA.