What is the cost of IVF at the Calgary Fertility Clinic? - IVF/FET/IUI Cycle Buddies - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

What is the cost of IVF at the Calgary Fertility Clinic?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 taralang

taralang
  • 46 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Calgary Regional

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:08 PM

I have been to their website and I know it states the cost, however it lists the basic cost of IVF as $6300 and then it lists natural cycle IVF as $5700?  If someone could explain and share their costs and experiences with me that would be great!! TIA

#2 outofnowhere

outofnowhere
  • Global 100+
  • 273 posts
  • Dx:Genetic
  • My Clinic:RFP

Posted 27 January 2015 - 06:52 PM

I found the costs on the RFP website to be really confusing.  We paid $8950 for this IVF cycle, and we are doing a freeze all cycle with PGD testing.  This does not include the cost of meds (about $1500 so far) or the PGD testing (which we expect to be about $3000).  I also think this does not include the FET that we will do in a couple months.  It's pricey for sure!!

• taralang likes this

#3 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Crochet/Knitting/Sewing, Vespas, Horror Movies, My Job, Camping, Music
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Foothills RFP

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:43 AM

We had IVF+ICSI, so for us the costs were as follows:

300   IVF Registration

6050   Basic IVF Fee

1500   ICSI

900   Cryopreservation

8750   TOTAL

That same treatment would cost $9075 with the new rates on the website.  Drugs are extra.

The ICSI was suggested as my husband's motility numbers aren't has high as they'd like, however if they hadn't needed to use it, that would have been refunded.  Also, if we hadn't had any embryos to freeze (i.e., only had enough for a fresh transfer), the cryopreservation fee would have been refunded.

The basic IVF includes your monitoring, for a week or more you have to go in every few days for a blood draw and internal ultrasound to ensure your progressing well on the stimulation drugs.  It also includes the cost for the egg retrieval and the fresh transfer (either 3 or five days after the retrieval).  I may be incorrect, but I think that if you were unable to have the fresh transfer (due to OHSS), it would still include your transfer for the following month, but you would have to pay the cryo storage fee.

I think the natural IVF cycle is cheaper because you don't have to come in for all the monitoring appointments.  You could still incur the ICSI cost.  I'm pretty sure there are still a lot of medications you have to take, like the estrogen, prometrium, and maybe even the suppressant?  Someone else will be able to answer this, as I've not had a natural cycle.  For me I would not have considered it because I want the highest chance possible, and I didn't want to go through all that only to have 1, maybe 2 eggs retrieved.

• gibasgirl and MyDiesel like this

See Profile / About me page.

#4 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 11:08 AM

300   IVF Registration
6050   Basic IVF Fee
1500   ICSI
  900   Cryopreservation
8750   TOTAL

That same treatment would cost $9075 with the new rates on the website.  Drugs are extra.

The ICSI was suggested as my husband's motility numbers aren't has high as they'd like, however if they hadn't needed to use it, that would have been refunded.  Also, if we hadn't had any embryos to freeze (i.e., only had enough for a fresh transfer), the cryopreservation fee would have been refunded.

The basic IVF includes your monitoring, for a week or more you have to go in every few days for a blood draw and internal ultrasound to ensure your progressing well on the stimulation drugs.  It also includes the cost for the egg retrieval and the fresh transfer (either 3 or five days after the retrieval).  I may be incorrect, but I think that if you were unable to have the fresh transfer (due to OHSS), it would still include your transfer for the following month, but you would have to pay the cryo storage fee.

I think the natural IVF cycle is cheaper because you don't have to come in for all the monitoring appointments.  You could still incur the ICSI cost.  I'm pretty sure there are still a lot of medications you have to take, like the estrogen, prometrium, and maybe even the suppressant?  Someone else will be able to answer this, as I've not had a natural cycle.  For me I would not have considered it because I want the highest chance possible, and I didn't want to go through all that only to have 1, maybe 2 eggs retrieved.

Good luck with your upcoming cycle!!

Costs depend on what you are doing. IVF is one thing then ICSI is additional and medications are additional. The first year of freezing costs are included in the basic IVF cost. Registration is additional. Most people I've known have to pay for registration, IVF, ICSI and meds at a minimum. I don't know of anyone who has not used ICSI.

Good luck.
  • gibasgirl likes this

See about me page.

#5 MyDiesel

MyDiesel
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Genesis

Posted 28 January 2015 - 10:08 PM

300   IVF Registration
6050   Basic IVF Fee
1500   ICSI
  900   Cryopreservation
8750   TOTAL

Wishing you all the best of luck for your upcoming cycle meary
  • gibasgirl and Meary like this

#6 taralang

taralang
  • 46 posts

Posted 29 January 2015 - 01:33 PM

Thank you so much! I appreciate your information! Good Luck to all of you!

#7 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Crochet/Knitting/Sewing, Vespas, Horror Movies, My Job, Camping, Music
  • My Clinic:Foothills RFP

Posted 30 January 2015 - 12:25 PM

The first year of freezing costs are included in the basic IVF cost. Registration is additional. Most people I've known have to pay for registration, IVF, ICSI and meds at a minimum. I don't know of anyone who has not used ICSI.

Waaaait a second...if that's true then someone owes me a refund, I had pulled my itemized invoice when I posted this.  I know that the second year of cryo is much much cheaper (just paid that as well, $235), but the first year was separate from the $6050 basic IVF cost.  However, if this isn't correct I want some money back! ;)

• Red Wine likes this

See Profile / About me page.

#8 Mama.of.one

Mama.of.one

CristinaF

• Global 100+
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Cooking/ Baking, Drawing/ Painting, Working out at the gym, travelling, and following my favorite TV shows (How I Met Your Mother, Greys Anatomy, Nashville, Big Bang Theory, and Modern Family)
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program (Calgary)

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:36 PM

Hey just wanted to add in, cost of medication for injectables is roughly $1 per unit of medication (at least at RFP). I was on 150iu of Gonal F and 75iu of Luveris....... So about $225/ day for those two injections. I forget the cost of the HCG trigger shot and the antibiotics and the ester ace and prometrium.

#9 Mama.of.one

Mama.of.one

CristinaF

• Global 100+
  • 174 posts
  • Interests:Cooking/ Baking, Drawing/ Painting, Working out at the gym, travelling, and following my favorite TV shows (How I Met Your Mother, Greys Anatomy, Nashville, Big Bang Theory, and Modern Family)
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program (Calgary)

Posted 30 January 2015 - 01:37 PM

Blah sorry, 125 of gonal f

#10 Red Wine

Red Wine
  • Cyclebase
  • 2692 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 02:42 PM

The first year of freezing costs are included in the basic IVF cost. Registration is additional. Most people I've known have to pay for registration, IVF, ICSI and meds at a minimum. I don't know of anyone who has not used ICSI.

Waaaait a second...if that's true then someone owes me a refund, I had pulled my itemized invoice when I posted this.  I know that the second year of cryo is much much cheaper (just paid that as well, $235), but the first year was separate from the $6050 basic IVF cost.  However, if this isn't correct I want some money back! ;)
Unless the clinic changed the policy. The first 12 months of freezing is included and at the end of the first 12 months the clinic will send you an invoice for year two (month 13 to 24). The clinic assumes you'll have embryos to freeze.

See about me page.

#11 BusyBee

BusyBee
  • 50 posts

Posted 30 January 2015 - 05:14 PM

I looked at my latest itemized invoice too.  The freezing fee of about $900 is charged in addition to the basic IVF costs of $6300.  They automatically include it in your invoice and it's required at payment up front.  They assume that most patients will have embryos to freeze but it says on their website that if you don't, that amount will be refunded.  For me, they also tagged on the assited embryo hatching fee up front because it was believed to be needed as we did it last time.  This cycle, we're going for a 5 day transfer so I'm guessing ( or hoping) I'll get a refund for the assisted hatching as they don't do it on blasts.  I'm not sure if they also do this for ICSI as it wasn't recommended or needed for us.   The meds definitely add up depending on what meds, how long you have to stim and the doses you're on.  All of my meds ended up being a little over $4500.  I was like ChristinaF and on Gonal F but on a 300iu dose so just the 3 - 900iu pens were about $2900.  So my final costs was $12,000!!  Yikes  ohmy.png - luckily we have great insurance plans that covered all of the meds. 

Me: 35 Hubby: 36

2012 - Natural pregnancy - ended at 6.5 weeks - miscarriage/maybe ectopic

2014 - HSG showed hydrosalpinx in one fallopian tube.  Essure procedure to block off the tube in May 2014

IVF #1: Aug/Sept 2014 - Flare Protocol (BCP, Suprefact injections, Gonal F & Menopur); 7 fertilized, tranferred 2 day 3's, 1 made it to a day 5 to freeze; BFN sad.png

IVF #2, same protocol.  fingers crossed that this 2nd go around it works!!   smile.png

-ER - 10 eggs retrieved, 6 mature/4 immature.  9 fertilized (no ICSI).     

-ET - Feb 1, 2015 - transferred 2 on day 5.  1 early blast and 1 blastocycst.  None to freeze this cycle. 

-Beta # 1 on February 14 - hcg level at 1246 It's a BFP!!!biggrin.png

-Beta #2 on February 16 - hcg level at 2860

#12 bestrong2014

bestrong2014
  • Global 100+
  • 108 posts

Posted 03 February 2015 - 10:09 PM

I just went through my first round of IVF at RFP and it cost us roughly $11,700. We did ICSI and I needed some extra meds for OHSS but I was only on 9 days of stims and a lower dose - 150 IU gonal-f and 75 IU luveris the whole time.
TTC 3.5 years
6 Clomid triggered cycles 2013 BFN's
5 IUI's on Letrozole 2014 BFN's

IVF January 2015 20 eggs retrieved OHSS
14 fertilized, 2 day 5 blasts, 1 transferred BFN
1 frozen transferred May 2015 BFP!
Our miracle baby Logan Joseph born January 4, 2016

#13 taralang

taralang
  • 46 posts

Posted 10 March 2015 - 03:08 PM

Thank for the info!

#14 Mihoshi

Mihoshi
  • Global 100+
  • 129 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Foothills

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:35 AM

It costs us about $20k including drugs when we did our fresh cycles. Frozen is less.
Me - 39; DH - 37 ... TTC - since Jan 2009; Dx - Tubal (Feb/11)

FET#3 Apr 28/15 - our last kick at the cat
blood test - May 11/15 (positive!)
7 wk u/s - May 29/15
EDD - Jan 15, 2016

IVF/ICSI # 2 - Oct/14
11 wk u/s - No heart beat, missed miscarriage - Jan 23/15
Miscarried at 11 and a half wks - Jan 25/15

FET#2 Feb 3/14 last egg used (waiting )
update - Feb 17 - call from clinic; false negative. Next step: blood test ... praying for a miracle.
update - Feb 18 - went in for blood work, was told clinic will get result in 2 days in the mean time, I have started spotting ...

FET#1 Sep 16/13 BFN

IVF/ICSI # 1 - Aug/11
ER - Oct 5 - 13 eggs retrieved
ET - Oct 8 - Transfered 2 blastocyst (froze 4)
7 wk u/s (1 baby) ... EDD - Jun 28, 2012 (expecting a baby girl) Posted Image
Baby was born on: Jun 30, 2012

src="http://lbff.lilypie.com/t2QLm6.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers" />

#15 Mihoshi

Mihoshi
  • Global 100+
  • 129 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 01:45 AM

I want to say as well, you can claim them as medical deduction on your taxes (both the drugs and the clinic fees). My drugs I buy at the clinic so at the beginning of the following calendar year, I go in and ask them to print me a copy of my receipt then I file it as this receipt is considered an original copy. This is good since you will be getting a lot of medical receipts and if you're unorganised this is a lif saver. You can claim your medical deductions up to 12 consecutive calendar months so if you started ivf in June then you can claim from June - May.
Me - 39; DH - 37 ... TTC - since Jan 2009; Dx - Tubal (Feb/11)

FET#3 Apr 28/15 - our last kick at the cat
blood test - May 11/15 (positive!)
7 wk u/s - May 29/15
EDD - Jan 15, 2016

IVF/ICSI # 2 - Oct/14
11 wk u/s - No heart beat, missed miscarriage - Jan 23/15
Miscarried at 11 and a half wks - Jan 25/15

FET#2 Feb 3/14 last egg used (waiting )
update - Feb 17 - call from clinic; false negative. Next step: blood test ... praying for a miracle.
update - Feb 18 - went in for blood work, was told clinic will get result in 2 days in the mean time, I have started spotting ...

FET#1 Sep 16/13 BFN

IVF/ICSI # 1 - Aug/11
ER - Oct 5 - 13 eggs retrieved
ET - Oct 8 - Transfered 2 blastocyst (froze 4)
7 wk u/s (1 baby) ... EDD - Jun 28, 2012 (expecting a baby girl) Posted Image
Baby was born on: Jun 30, 2012

src="http://lbff.lilypie.com/t2QLm6.png" width="400" height="80" border="0" alt="Lilypie Breastfeeding tickers" />

#16 Wells

Wells
  • 75 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 02:01 PM

I looked at my latest itemized invoice too.  The freezing fee of about $900 is charged in addition to the basic IVF costs of $6300.  They automatically include it in your invoice and it's required at payment up front.  They assume that most patients will have embryos to freeze but it says on their website that if you don't, that amount will be refunded.  For me, they also tagged on the assited embryo hatching fee up front because it was believed to be needed as we did it last time.  This cycle, we're going for a 5 day transfer so I'm guessing ( or hoping) I'll get a refund for the assisted hatching as they don't do it on blasts.  I'm not sure if they also do this for ICSI as it wasn't recommended or needed for us.   The meds definitely add up depending on what meds, how long you have to stim and the doses you're on.  All of my meds ended up being a little over $4500.  I was like ChristinaF and on Gonal F but on a 300iu dose so just the 3 - 900iu pens were about $2900.  So my final costs was $12,000!!  Yikes  ohmy.png - luckily we have great insurance plans that covered all of the meds. 

Insurance that covers the meds makes such a difference! I was surprised and very lucky that my work insurance covered mine. I ended up paying exactly the $8,750 that I was expecting for IVF+ICSI.

• Meary likes this

Me: 30, no issues

Him: 42, poor motility (antibodies)

5 X IUI = 4 BFNs and 1 chemical

Nov 2014, switched to Foothills clinic for IVF w/ICSI

Feb 2015, IVF #1 antagonist protocol

29 retrieved, 22 mature, 14 fert, 8 to blast!

Transferred 1 and froze 7, BFP with a beautiful singleton.

#17 Emilie.Sanders

Emilie.Sanders
  • Just Hatched
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:27 PM

PGD Regional Fertility Program

#18 Emilie.Sanders

Emilie.Sanders
  • Just Hatched
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 February 2016 - 12:31 PM

Dear All,

I am looking for someone who has done PGD in Calgary and I can't find many active forums unfortunately. I am wondering if anyone has any experience with them?? After two miscarriages I am totally drained out and have to look at my other options. Thank you very much!
Emily

#19 NewWorld

NewWorld
  • Global 100+
  • 230 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Calgary, now Victoria

Posted 23 September 2016 - 11:28 AM

Is there an additional cost for FET following a freeze-all IVF cycle?
Me: 29 30, Husband: 32 33

Dx: low morphology (1%), probably DOR (AMH 11.8)

DH on Nutraception, Chinese herbs & Acupuncture --> No improvement

August 2016 - IUI #1
Clomid 100mg, trigger Pregnyl 5000.
2.3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

One month break because of cysts.

October 2016 - IUI #2
cancelled due to early ovulation

One month break for SHG

December 2016 - IUI #3
3 million post-wash sperm count--> BFN

February 2017 - IVF #1 to IUI
Antagonist protocol: started at 150 IU Gonal-F and 75 IU Luveris, baby aspirin.
After 4 days of injections, increased Gonal-F to 300 IU.
Luveris still at 75 IU, started Cetrotide 0.25mg.
Only 4 mature follicles --> Converted to Superovulation IUI.

Trigger Pregnyl 10000
3 million post-wash sperm count.
Taking baby aspirin and Prometrium.-->BFN
Two cycles break required for the ovaries to recover.

May 2017 - IVF #2 - cancelled after retrieval
Antagonist protocol: Dose increased to 300 IU Gonal-F and 150 IU Menopur.
8 days of stimulations.
6 eggs retrieved. All immature. Fertilization was not attempted.

Taking Chinese Herbs, DHEA, high dose of Ubiquinol and Inositol powder.

Switching to VFC, consulting with Dr. Hudson on July 17th
Diagnosed with DOR. Asked to continue DHEA until retrieval

August 2017 - IVF #3
Agonist/Antagonist Conversion Protocol.
Suprefact, Puregon, Repronex, Dexamethasone, Orgalutran, Trigger with HCG & Decapeptyl, Intralipid.

July 27 - Started Suprefact and stopped Chinese Herbs due to unknown interactions.
August 9 - CD 1
August 11 - Suppression confirmed
August 18 - last dose of Suprefact
August 20 - starting 300 IU Puregon, 150 IU Repronex, 1mg Dexamethasone & baby asprin
August 24 - added Orgalutran, first ultrasound and blood work in Calgary
August 26 - Flew to Victoria, first ultrasound and blood work with Dr. Hudson
August 30 - Hoping for 5-6 eggs. Triggered with 10,000 IU of Pregnyl and 0.2mg of Decapeptyl.
September 1 - Retrieval with Dr. Graham, 9 eggs retrieved, Intralipid infusion after the retrieval
September 2 - day 1 update - 6 eggs were mature, all ICSI'd and fertilized
September 3 - day 2 update - 2 of 6 embryos are at grade 1, 4 of 6 are at grade 2. Probably day 5 transfer
September 4 - day 3 update - day 5 transfer confirmed
September 6 - Transfer with Dr. Hudson, transferred 1 grade 2 blast, not sure yet how many will be frozen
September 7 - 1 day 6 grade 3 expanded blast frozen
September 14 - evening of 8dp5dt - BFP (faint positive)
September 18 - 12dp5dt - beta 220
September 20 - 14dp5dt - beta 446
September 22 - 16dp5dt - beta 1030

#20 shellybaby30

shellybaby30
  • 40 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility

Posted 23 September 2016 - 09:57 PM

Hi Newworld

I am at RFP in Calgary. When is your FET date? My current FET cycle cost just over 2000. We had all embryos frozen on day zero when we did our fresh cycle last year and for this FET there is a 400 dollar charge for possible assisted hatching included in the 2000. If we don't require it then they will refund us that 400 back I believe.

#21 NewWorld

NewWorld
  • Global 100+
  • 230 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 06:42 PM

Hi shellybaby30,

I haven't started any treatment yet except 1 IUI sofar.

I'm not allowed to do IUI this month as I have a cyst from Clomid.

I'm not confident that IUI will work for us.

I will still do the 2 remaining IUI's, but mentally I'm already prepared for IVF.

Thus, I'm comparing RFP and VFC so that I know which clinic I want to go by the time I'm done with all my IUI's.

August 2016 - IUI #1

October 2016 - IUI #2

One month break for SHG

December 2016 - IUI #3

Trigger Pregnyl 10000

8 days of stimulations.

August 2017 - IVF #3
Suprefact, Puregon, Repronex, Dexamethasone, Orgalutran, Trigger with HCG & Decapeptyl, Intralipid.

July 27 - Started Suprefact and stopped Chinese Herbs due to unknown interactions.
August 9 - CD 1
August 20 - starting 300 IU Puregon, 150 IU Repronex, 1mg Dexamethasone & baby asprin
August 30 - Hoping for 5-6 eggs. Triggered with 10,000 IU of Pregnyl and 0.2mg of Decapeptyl.
September 1 - Retrieval with Dr. Graham, 9 eggs retrieved, Intralipid infusion after the retrieval
September 3 - day 2 update - 2 of 6 embryos are at grade 1, 4 of 6 are at grade 2. Probably day 5 transfer
September 6 - Transfer with Dr. Hudson, transferred 1 grade 2 blast, not sure yet how many will be frozen

#22 NewWorld

NewWorld
  • Global 100+
  • 230 posts

Posted 22 November 2016 - 10:45 AM

Does the IVF fee include ultrasounds as well? Or do ultrasounds cost extra?

August 2016 - IUI #1

October 2016 - IUI #2

One month break for SHG

December 2016 - IUI #3

Trigger Pregnyl 10000

8 days of stimulations.

August 2017 - IVF #3

August 9 - CD 1

#23 maryhope

maryhope
  • Global 100+
  • 137 posts

Posted 02 December 2016 - 06:29 PM

dear newworld: ivf cost covers all monitoring, ultrasounds, HSG or shg. just medication is an extra fee.

#24 snootypup

snootypup
  • 68 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program Calgary

Posted 03 December 2016 - 06:34 PM

I paid $3000 for my drugs then $7225 treatment plus another $1500 for ICSI

#25 snootypup

snootypup
  • 68 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility Program Calgary