Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:07 AM

Dear All,

I want to write a review on what is important/essential/desirable/undesirable/unacceptable in an IVF clinic from the point of view of the patients.

I don't think that many clinics actually hear praise, complaints, ideas and feedback from patients. If they do they might not listen........

Some things will be very clinic specific, others might be more generic.

The review will not mention or criticise/praise specific clinics but is intended to be read by clinic staff in general so that it might ring some bells about their policies and procedures and ensure the highest quality of care for patients.

I need comments about every aspect of clinic activity from the receptionist to the lab to the operating theatre and back again.......even such things as clinic literature, communication, accesibility, empathy, counselling, friendliness, atmosphere.....anything you feel is important......

I can't do this without your input so I look forward to hearing from everyone.....

Best wishes,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:17 AM

Dear All,

I want to write a review on what is important/essential/desirable/undesirable/unacceptable in an IVF clinic from the point of view of the patients.

I don't think that many clinics actually hear praise, complaints, ideas and feedback from patients. If they do they might not listen........

The review will not mention or criticise/praise specific clinics but is intended to be read by clinic staff in general so that it might ring some bells about their policies and procedures and ensure the highest quality of care for patients.

I need comments about every aspect of clinic activity from the receptionist to the lab to the operating theatre and back again.......even such things as clinic literature, communication, accesibility, empathy, counselling, friendliness, atmosphere.....anything you feel is important......

I can't do this without your input so I look forward to hearing from everyone.....

Best wishes,

Peter

Peter are you wanting this information from people in Australia as well or you just after local info?

Kim

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 24 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 07:59 AM

Hi Peter , I live in Dubai so not sure that my contribution would be of interest or not ??

My opinion

IVF couple should be offered counselling before undertaking treatment - we have been offered none and therefore totally unprepared for the type of feeling the treatment brings.
Should be offered the choice of self administered injections as opposed to a trip to the clinic on a daily basis.
The doctor should be more undertstanding of our feelings, my doctor is increcibly, how can I say it, COLD ???? "Oh dear your follicles are much much too small, get dressed and come back to room" said in a very stern school marm manner. then " another prescription, to up my injections" no explanation, nothing
We should have been given some literature on what to expect - we never received anything.
Before turning up for the EC we shoud again have been given some literature on what to expect, I wasnt even aware that I wasnt going to be sedated during ET ????
On a positive side the reception at our clinic had a very warm and friendly feeling.
If you want me to name the clinic I can.
Hope this helps

#4 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:06 AM

Dear All,

Best wishes,

Peter

Peter are you wanting this information from people in Australia as well or you just after local info?

Kim

Dear Kim,

Yes please, all feedback especially international, is valuable. My final paper will be generic and will apply internationally.

Best wishes,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#5 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:10 AM

Hi Peter , I live in Dubai so not sure that my contribution would be of interest or not ??

yes, extremely valuable

My opinion

IVF couple should be offered counselling before undertaking treatment - we have been offered none and therefore totally unprepared for the type of feeling the treatment brings.

I agree this is essential.

Should be offered the choice of self administered injections as opposed to a trip to the clinic on a daily basis.

I agree

The doctor should be more undertstanding of our feelings, my doctor is increcibly, how can I say it, COLD ???? "Oh dear your follicles are much much too small, get dressed and come back to room" said in a very stern school marm manner. then " another prescription, to up my injections" no explanation, nothing

A communications/bedside manner issue here........

We should have been given some literature on what to expect - we never received anything.

This is extremely important

Before turning up for the EC we shoud again have been given some literature on what to expect, I wasnt even aware that I wasnt going to be sedated during ET ????

Once again very important

On a positive side the reception at our clinic had a very warm and friendly feeling.

That's good

If you want me to name the clinic I can.

No, it's OK. I don't want to get specific but the issues you have raised are excellent.

Many thanks,

Peter
Hope this helps

www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#6 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 08:46 AM

Hi Peter. This is a fantastic endeavor. It has been 6 years since we did a cycle but a few things that stand out for me were as follows.

I don't know if it's always practical or not but we appreciated having a lot of contact with the embryologist. She came in to say hello before my wife went into ER and talked to us about what she would be doing and what we could expect. She also followed up in the 2ww. When I hear of people never having contact with the embryologist I feel it's unfortunate. Some I'm sure are too busy in the lab to be visiting.

From the embarrassing file, the clinic had the mens room in plain view of the waiting room. That area should be out of sight at all times.

#7 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:03 AM

Hi Peter. This is a fantastic endeavor. It has been 6 years since we did a cycle but a few things that stand out for me were as follows.

I don't know if it's always practical or not but we appreciated having a lot of contact with the embryologist. She came in to say hello before my wife went into ER and talked to us about what she would be doing and what we could expect. She also followed up in the 2ww. When I hear of people never having contact with the embryologist I feel it's unfortunate. Some I'm sure are too busy in the lab to be visiting.

From the embarrassing file, the clinic had the mens room in plain view of the waiting room. That area should be out of sight at all times.

Thanks Rick that's great feedback. Are you willing to pin this subject at the top of the page so that I can keep track of it easier?

Best wishes,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

#8 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 09:27 AM

It's pinned.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:33 AM

I have to say that I love my clinic.

All the staff are extremly sensitive and accessible. I can pose a question to my assigned nurse, to the RE's personal assistant and to the RE at any time via e-mail and I get quick responses.

The communication is frequent. We're invited to see the nurses every time we come in for blood & ultrasound. The nurses will review the U/S results with you then and there and then you always get a phone call that afternoon with your blood results.

I was a slow responder to the Puregon... and they were monitoring me daily at the end of the last cycle. When I finally surged, the RE actually called me at home to say that he knew I'd get there and gave me instructions on the HCG and next day bloods.

After egg retrieval, they told us then and there how many were retrieved and then we had daily calls from the nurse to update us on the state of the embryos.

It was extremely reassuring. Even when I was bleeding over two weeks and still having positive and doubling betas, the RE called me at home to try to reassure me.

We had some issues with the PGD diagnosis rates and my RE e-mailed me copies of all his corresspondence with the genetics lab (3 different times) and has had one conference call with me recently based on our concerns for the testing this time and asked to participate in a conference call with the the Dr. and the genetics lab so that he can understand what the status is.

I think they all deserve gold stars for the sensitive and respectful patient management.

#10 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:45 AM

All the staff are extremly sensitive and accessible. I can pose a question to my assigned nurse, to the RE's personal assistant and to the RE at any time via e-mail and I get quick responses.

The communication is frequent. We're invited to see the nurses every time we come in for blood & ultrasound. The nurses will review the U/S results with you then and there and then you always get a phone call that afternoon with your blood results.

I was a slow responder to the Puregon... and they were monitoring me daily at the end of the last cycle. When I finally surged, the RE actually called me at home to say that he knew I'd get there and gave me instructions on the HCG and next day bloods.

After egg retrieval, they told us then and there how many were retrieved and then we had daily calls from the nurse to update us on the state of the embryos.

It was extremely reassuring. Even when I was bleeding over two weeks and still having positive and doubling betas, the RE called me at home to try to reassure me.

We had some issues with the PGD diagnosis rates and my RE e-mailed me copies of all his corresspondence with the genetics lab (3 different times) and has had one conference call with me recently based on our concerns for the testing this time and asked to participate in a conference call with the the Dr. and the genetics lab so that he can understand what the status is.

I think they all deserve gold stars for the sensitive and respectful patient management.

Fantastic! It so good to hear such positive comments and these will be definitely be part of the review.

Is there anything they could improve on?

Many thanks,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 10:48 AM

Hi Peter,

My DH and I have been through IVF on three separate occasions, at different clinics. In general, our experiences have been very good, but there are a few things I'd like to mention.

The woman has to go through a lot as an IVF patient. Bloodwork and ultrasounds are frequent requirements and can put a lot of stress on the woman and couple as they wait for results, etc. To have bloodwork done and have the technician do it so that the patient doesn't feel confident in the tech (one technician stood up, got in a crouching position as if he was going to jab me with a foot-long needle before taking the blood), or have it done so that it's painful (some push down on the needle to get it to pierce the skin, rather than insert it, causing pain and bruising). I had many that were very good...they were friendly, competent and obviously enjoyed their work. This is important.

Bedside manner is another very important aspect. When in the procedure room, it's really nice to have the doctor tell you step-by-step what is going to be happening. In my case, I knew what to expect, but having a speculum inserted when you didn't know it was going to be can be a very unnerving experience.

Another example of bedside manner was during the embryo transfer...the catheter was being inserted and I experienced tremendous cramping. The doctor made a comment that "This is not a painful experience, so what exactly is the problem?". I felt like I was abnormal in some way and a huge wimp. Had this been in another environment, where my legs weren't spread apart and I was feeling vulnerable, I would have defended myself and given the doctor a tongue-lashing, but because of the situation, I felt completely unempowered.

My last issue is with empathy & follow-up. I've had 2 previous ectopics requiring surgery. One was at week 6, the other at week 5. I am now 5 weeks pregnant, with pain in my left side. The clinic has had me in for several betas to check my levels, but the ultrasound that was booked is for the 8th week. IF this is an ectopic, I will have been rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery by then. It's possible that this apt was booked in error (I will find out tomorrow), but the patient shouldn't have to chase after the clinic to get the care they need if the proper follow-up is done.

Hope this helps!
Kim

#12 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 12:09 PM

Hi Peter,

My DH and I have been through IVF on three separate occasions, at different clinics. In general, our experiences have been very good, but there are a few things I'd like to mention.

The woman has to go through a lot as an IVF patient. Bloodwork and ultrasounds are frequent requirements and can put a lot of stress on the woman and couple as they wait for results, etc. To have bloodwork done and have the technician do it so that the patient doesn't feel confident in the tech (one technician stood up, got in a crouching position as if he was going to jab me with a foot-long needle before taking the blood), or have it done so that it's painful (some push down on the needle to get it to pierce the skin, rather than insert it, causing pain and bruising). I had many that were very good...they were friendly, competent and obviously enjoyed their work. This is important.

Bedside manner is another very important aspect. When in the procedure room, it's really nice to have the doctor tell you step-by-step what is going to be happening. In my case, I knew what to expect, but having a speculum inserted when you didn't know it was going to be can be a very unnerving experience.

Another example of bedside manner was during the embryo transfer...the catheter was being inserted and I experienced tremendous cramping. The doctor made a comment that "This is not a painful experience, so what exactly is the problem?". I felt like I was abnormal in some way and a huge wimp. Had this been in another environment, where my legs weren't spread apart and I was feeling vulnerable, I would have defended myself and given the doctor a tongue-lashing, but because of the situation, I felt completely unempowered.

My last issue is with empathy & follow-up. I've had 2 previous ectopics requiring surgery. One was at week 6, the other at week 5. I am now 5 weeks pregnant, with pain in my left side. The clinic has had me in for several betas to check my levels, but the ultrasound that was booked is for the 8th week. IF this is an ectopic, I will have been rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery by then. It's possible that this apt was booked in error (I will find out tomorrow), but the patient shouldn't have to chase after the clinic to get the care they need if the proper follow-up is done.

Hope this helps!
Kim

Many thanks, I will incorporate all of this into my review

Best wishes,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:41 PM

CLINIC ITSELF

Pros:

1) The clinic scheduled infertility treatments\appointments exclusively on certain times of the day so that infertile women didn't have to sit next to pregnant women.

2) The clinic is open 365 days a year (maybe not Xmas day - can't remember) so that you don't have to miss a cycle ever

3) The clinic has several doctors on staff who all work together, and they meet in a group to discuss each case. Therefore, you have several opinions decide together on your best treatment.

4) The entire staff is upbeat and supportive. Including the receiptionist, the nurses, the blood takers, the pharmacist, the embryologist, and the therapist.

5) There is mandatory counselling for all patients with a counsellor they provide for free.

6) They have a pharmacy right inside the clinic to handle all your drugs. I think the costs are even reduced.

7) You can phone during the day to talk to a nurse about your symptoms, problems, etc. However, you have to leave a message, but they always get back to you that day.

CONS

1) The waiting time in the clinic can sometimes be very long - making it sometimes necessary to let your boss in on what's going on to excuse your absences.

2) You can't talk to a nurse immediately. You have to leave a message.

Oops, baby is crying. Will continue this list later. Here's some for now :)

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 14 February 2007 - 01:54 PM

Fantastic! It so good to hear such positive comments and these will be definitely be part of the review.

Is there anything they could improve on?

Many thanks,

Peter

Let's see... Once I lost the pregnancy, it took nearly a month to get in there for a follow up and to ask what the heck happened. I would have appreciated getting in sooner. I also wouldn't have known how poor the diagnosis rates from our PGD test was unless I had asked in that appointment. We had a less than 45% diagnosis rate on 14 embryos (only 6 could be diagnosed... of the 3 that were free of the mutation, one died the night before ET so we only had 2 embryos to use on 14 that were available on day 4). Anyhow - I had to ask if that was standard. When RE responded that diagnosis rates were 90% usually I was very surprised.

I don't have that many positive things to say about the genetics lab... but I'll sound off anyway even though I know you're only looking for info on clinics. First, the genetic counsellor told me that there must've been a problem with the 8 undiagnosed embryos. Then, it took us 5 weeks to get a phone consult with the head Dr. at the genetics lab to discuss our diagnosis rates where we were told that I'm homozygous (sp?) and one of DH's markers is almost identical to mine which was why we had such poor yield. We were told that they would design a new test for us. Two months later, I started bugging the genetic counsellor for status, where she said that the third party that develops probes based on the lab's designs couldn't make ours work and that they could always use the old test. Then, after two e-mails in January asking for status b/c I was beginning a new cycle and no response, we got a one line e-mail saying that they were ready. DH (who's an MD) called the genetic counsellor, who, after he began asking many specific questions, finally revealed that they couldn't create the new probe so they made the old one 'brighter'. DH insisted that we speak to the head Dr - and our phone consult isn't 'till next week (nearly 4 weeks later!). RE at the IVF clinic's dialing in on this call b/c he says that anything less than a 90% diagnosis rate isn't worth putting me through IVF... and we're going to consider gender for the gender that has a lesser risk from this mutation. It's been frustrating to say the least. I think we deserved more attention from the lab after what happened to us last time.

Let me know if you plan on writing on labs!

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 02:18 AM

we were told we have counselors, but no advice on how you get to contact one, i know someone at another clinic who was given an appointment 6 weeks later, which seemed unacceptable to me.

What i would really like is what i get here honest feedback, i believe my clinic hide the bad stuff from you to keep your spirits up maybe.
They dont inform you straight away when things arent going so great, like not finding out about my low estrogen level until right before embryo transfer.
Which brings me to how my Dr starts talking about the next try before we finished even transfering my first embryo ever, which i imagine and pray is not usual for a DR to be so, whats the word for it, insensitive maybe?, i was devastated and in shock, and it was the first id heard of my estrogen levels being low, so i was totally unprepared for that.
Also when you get results from the nurses they dont tell you any hormone levels etc without being asked and even then they dont seem to want to tell you anything.
Id love to see blood test results come back with feedback on hormone levels and maybe some info on what average is or what they hoped the levels would be.

It would be nice to be able to talk over problems or questions with your Dr sometimes too, for us we book in for a new cycle with our Dr and you dont see Dr again until EPU or Transfer, for me it was transfer, where i got my Estrogen news, the rest of time you deal with nurses who dont want to tell you anything, understandably to in a way.
The nurses are always fantastic in person, on the phone they often seem rushed and just want to get off the phone, and sometimes make me feel i cant ask questions, one even seemed annoyed when i wanted to know my estrogen level and she didnt know without looking it up, i ended up asking is it doing what it should and getting a yes, instead of getting a real answer.

Something that got under my skin was the look on my ultra caring Drs face when we mentioned trying to concieve ourselves in our month off, before we started cycle number 2, as she said nothing would make me happier, she couldnt have looked more unimpressed, made me wonder about our choice in Drs

I also found the price of IVF wasnt explained that well, the extra costs you dont get told about initially make it harder and more stressful along the way.

My Dr will only put back 1 embryo at a time which annoys me, cause Hubby and i would love twins or triplets if that happened, i know health risks increase, but still.
and our first cycle we had a egg at the same stage as the one we transfered, but with a little fragmentation, which i thought they would freeze, they disgarded it, and i was annoyed they didnt at least transfer that was well, rather than wasting it, especially seeing my odds were so low because of the estrogen, i pointed that out next time i saw my DR and she agreed, if i had asked she would have put back 2 that time, like i was expected to know they would dispose of it, when they said excess will be automatically frozen.

I was told by my Dr at transfer there are 15 steps of the transfer she has to get right as well, like putting the egg back a certain way up, this is something nobody tell you about, still dont know what they are.
The book i was given by the clinic explained a standard IVF cycle quite well, but doesnt talk about options like the colorado protocal, or any other options at all.
that would be nice to see.

The hospital that does my egg pick up is brillant, cant complain about them at all, they were friendly and nice to me when i was feeling my most vunrable, i love the way they tape some tape with the number of eggs they got to your hand for when you wake up, so you can know right away

geez i sound like a whiner LOL ok if i think of more i will post it :)

Kim

#16 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:11 AM

Dear All,

Best wishes,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 11:51 AM

to continue - I'm not sure where I was - anyway I'll talk about the procedure. We got the drugs from the in-house pharmacy, and they fully explained how to use the needles, etc. Then I showed up for my blood tests and us, which were all in the same clinic. When it was time, they gave me the HCG shot, and they also gave me some sleeping pill for the night before and some strong pain killer to take the morning of. I didn't take the sleeping pill, but I did take the pain killer. They extracted the eggs, advised me I'd have some bleeding, gave me the name of the embryologist who would be mating my eggs with dh sperm and told me about her credentials, and then told me to expect a call each day with updates.

I received a call the next day from the embryologist telling me how many eggs they retrieved from that how many fertilized.

The next day I got another call from the embryologist telling me how many of the embryos were dividing and how many did not divide. I was even told one was very cute. Hummm :)

The third day I went in for my transfer. They suggested AH because the walls of the embryos were very thick. I agreed. They told me to have a full bladder, but they need to define that better. My bladder was waaaay too full and the entire procedure was VERY uncomfortable because of it. I actually almost got up from the table to go to the bathroom because I thought I couldn't hold it any longer. They used an us to guide the doctor during the procedure, so the nurse was pressing down on my stomach (to make matters worse). The embryologist came in before the procedure and introduced himself and what he'd be doing. Then, he showed me my two embryos on a TV screen. That was cool. They printed a color photo of the two embryos and gave it to me - a nice keepsake. Then the nurse let me watch the us machine as they doctor inserted he catheter and placed the embryos. They took a photo of the screen at the exact moment they released the embryos, and they gave me that picture. Also, a great keepsake. Afterwards, I sat in a reclined chair for 30 mintues. I wasn't supposed to move, but I had to pee about 5 times during that time. Bladder way to full. After that, I went home and took the day off. They suggested if I felt crampy to take the day off, otherwise go on to work. I worked the rest of the two week wait. They gave me instructions to call the nurse anytime during the two week wait with any questions or concerns I might have. They gave me information that would help me identify symptoms of OHSS, and they let me know that they were there for me but if they were closed and I felt very sick I should go to the hospital.

Anyway, I did call the nurse during that time, and I had to leave a message but she called me back that same day. She was very helpful. In fact, after I got pregnant I called back several more times and they were always very helpful and friendly and willing to help.

My experience with this clinic is all positive. They were very supportive. Everyone was helpful and respectful. If there is an area of the journey I haven't talked about that you'd like to hear more information about, please ask. I'm willing to share.

Cheers Peter and good luck with your project.

#18 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 12:08 PM

to continue - I'm not sure where I was - anyway I'll talk about the procedure. We got the drugs from the in-house pharmacy, and they fully explained how to use the needles, etc. Then I showed up for my blood tests and us, which were all in the same clinic. When it was time, they gave me the HCG shot, and they also gave me some sleeping pill for the night before and some strong pain killer to take the morning of. I didn't take the sleeping pill, but I did take the pain killer. They extracted the eggs, advised me I'd have some bleeding, gave me the name of the embryologist who would be mating my eggs with dh sperm and told me about her credentials, and then told me to expect a call each day with updates.

I received a call the next day from the embryologist telling me how many eggs they retrieved from that how many fertilized.

The next day I got another call from the embryologist telling me how many of the embryos were dividing and how many did not divide. I was even told one was very cute. Hummm :)

The third day I went in for my transfer. They suggested AH because the walls of the embryos were very thick. I agreed. They told me to have a full bladder, but they need to define that better. My bladder was waaaay too full and the entire procedure was VERY uncomfortable because of it. I actually almost got up from the table to go to the bathroom because I thought I couldn't hold it any longer. They used an us to guide the doctor during the procedure, so the nurse was pressing down on my stomach (to make matters worse). The embryologist came in before the procedure and introduced himself and what he'd be doing. Then, he showed me my two embryos on a TV screen. That was cool. They printed a color photo of the two embryos and gave it to me - a nice keepsake. Then the nurse let me watch the us machine as they doctor inserted he catheter and placed the embryos. They took a photo of the screen at the exact moment they released the embryos, and they gave me that picture. Also, a great keepsake. Afterwards, I sat in a reclined chair for 30 mintues. I wasn't supposed to move, but I had to pee about 5 times during that time. Bladder way to full. After that, I went home and took the day off. They suggested if I felt crampy to take the day off, otherwise go on to work. I worked the rest of the two week wait. They gave me instructions to call the nurse anytime during the two week wait with any questions or concerns I might have. They gave me information that would help me identify symptoms of OHSS, and they let me know that they were there for me but if they were closed and I felt very sick I should go to the hospital.

Anyway, I did call the nurse during that time, and I had to leave a message but she called me back that same day. She was very helpful. In fact, after I got pregnant I called back several more times and they were always very helpful and friendly and willing to help.

My experience with this clinic is all positive. They were very supportive. Everyone was helpful and respectful. If there is an area of the journey I haven't talked about that you'd like to hear more information about, please ask. I'm willing to share.

Cheers Peter and good luck with your project.

Many thanks, this is all very useful material!

Best wishes,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 15 February 2007 - 08:30 PM

Perhaps people need a scale and a chart asking those questions ... if this is for a review, dont you need a more scientific way of gathering the data ...

#20 jaan

jaan
  • 1000+
  • 3798 posts
  • Interests:cross -stitch,scrap booking, movies,reading
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Heartland fertility clinic

Posted 16 February 2007 - 12:07 AM

Peter this is great what you are doing

Pros of my clinic(not in any order of importance)

-Mandatory counselling session prior to cycle(only 1 meeting necessary)
-Mandatory dual attendance for info night(we got to see the clinic the lab meet the embryologist etc)
-Great info package given to us with stats etc, very informative
-Mens room was down the hall
-Lot's of magazines pamphlets to look at
-Nurses were easily reached by telephone
-Awesome Pharmasist(met him at info night) of course you can use any pharmacy you choose but his pharmacy guarentees the drugs will be there & gives you his home & cell # so he can be easily reached & I did use that # & he was great & reasuring I never doubted the meds etc, this was a huge wt lifted off my shoulder.
-My clinic does no IM injections everything is sc & the progesterone is vag supps
-My Primary RE was great super bedside manor & very reasuring I felt very comfortable in his care
-The RN's were for the most part very nice & suportive

Cons

-Primary RE isn't necesarily the one to perform ET or ER they rotate, my RE for ER was aweful & will never let him near me again
-Some nurses were snappy about things & not very nice, the receptionist her face would crack if she smiled(she was a young 20something & snooty look to her)
-Waiting to see my Re for over an hour, I had to travel out of town & then the waiting was aweful, even the morning of ET we were delayed an 1hr I think when they book our appt's maybe we should get paid our wages for the wait to compensate, wouldn't that be nice, I bet the dr's would be on time if they had to start paying their pt's for time spent.
-When my cycle was pos I didn't even get a card saying congrats, that would have been nice considering the money spent.

Janet(41) Andrew(38)
DD Kyra(24) Natural Pg 1991

Twins(9) Erik & Matthew 2006 IVF
Furbaby Jasper (14)

34.png

#21 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:03 AM

Perhaps people need a scale and a chart asking those questions ... if this is for a review, dont you need a more scientific way of gathering the data ...

No, I need free ranging feedback from at least 100 people. If I design a questionnaire, scales and so on then this directs or leads the answers. It's a bit like a barrister asking leading questions in court........

I just need everyone on the site to put their thoughts down. I will then sift through it all (much harder work then reviewing a questionnaire) and put it all into context.

Best wishes,

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 07:49 AM

I find the clinic I go to is unorganized, and the DE program is very very very very and I repeat very poorly handled.

Every week you go there, whether it be an ultrasound or whatever, they have changed the way they do things, where you go to pick a number, or the next week there are no numbers to pick ... they just can't seem to find a system that works. I think it's because of the vast number of patients to staff ratio.

Doing regular IVF, you just get comfortable with the staff (ie nurses, doctors) and they change due to the fact that a) the nurses don't seem to stay there long because of the great demand on them and lack of back-up and B) the doctors are interns, it's in a teaching hospital.

Embryologists there are great, as are most of the nurses. There are a couple of doctors that are very good, but I'm sure they will be going back to wherever, once their stint is through!

I would have to say communication is the biggest problem .... for me anyhow doing the DE process. For anyone else going to the clinic I go to, I am sure they would disagree with my points, but doing the DE process is very different and has been frustrating from the get go!

Having said that, I have had success (a 2 yr old daughter) from the clinic and I am very thankful for that. It wasn't as busy at that time either!!

Dee

#23 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 09:43 AM

Peter, I replied on the other thread but failed to mention pre-cycle testing. Our primary cause was severe male factor. There was no PGD involved but karyotyping was, and through it they discovered an x-20 balanced translocation. Being a university hospital they were very interested in the findings and cycle. There were enormous amounts of counselling and investigation. The case was eventually published in Human Reproduction. To say their efforts impressed me would be an understatement.

Here is our case in the Oxford Journal. While it isn't expected that ever cycle be examined to this extent I feel their efforts to understand the cause had a big influence on our result. No reasonable test should be left out imo.

http://humrep.oxford...print/18/7/1377

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:00 AM

Hi Peter,

Just putting my two cents worth in this topic.

I am an american living in Luxembourg. My doctor sent me to a university clinic in brussels that is apparently well known for their IVF success rates. I was treated by the head of the clinic, a professor. Let me tell you that I went through 3 cycles there, all BFN's, and the total lack of communication from them concerning my embryo's was horrible. They were also very uncompassionate and after retrieval, before they sent you home, instead of saying give us a call in 24 hours to see how everything is going with the embies, they just said "if you have any embryo's to transfer in 5 days we will call you 2 hours before you have to be at the clinic. Needless to say the wait was horrible and they seem to forget that it takes us almost 3 hours to drive to Brussels from Luxembourg. Then on BETA day they ask that you call them after 3pm for the results, then you are put on hold for 15 minutes, because they have misplaced your file, the results were not sent to them from the lab, etc... After they tell you the result, in my case BFN, instead of being compassionate they just slam the phone down. Two days later you get a letter in the mail saying "we have the pleasure of informing you that you have "0" embryos to freeze" Talk about a slap in the face.

To sum it up, I was very unhappy with my clinic even though they are world renowned. I am now taking steps to have treatment in New York at SHER, the help and information I have gotten in the questioning stage from them is unbelievable. I find them professional, helpful and compassionate. Looks like my cycle will be in July.

Thanks again

and sorry for a long whine! :)

Monica

#25 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts

Posted 16 February 2007 - 10:50 AM

Peter, I replied on the other thread but failed to mention pre-cycle testing. Our primary cause was severe male factor. There was no PGD involved but karyotyping was, and through it they discovered an x-20 balanced translocation. Being a university hospital they were very interested in the findings and cycle. There were enormous amounts of counselling and investigation. The case was eventually published in Human Reproduction. To say their efforts impressed me would be an understatement.

Here is our case in the Oxford Journal. While it isn't expected that ever cycle be examined to this extent I feel their efforts to understand the cause had a big influence on our result. No reasonable test should be left out imo.

http://humrep.oxford...print/18/7/1377

Many thanks!

Peter
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com