11 replies to this topic

#1 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:24 PM

I'm gearing up for a FET this month, when talking with the nurses they advised me that my PIO injections have to be done by a medical professional.  They suggested possibly a pharmacist or paramedic.  I know worse case scenario I could drive to Moncton and they would do it but I'd rather not.

Just wondering what you guys did?

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

DX WAS - unexplained infertility after DSA = male factor (95% sperm antibodies)

Received referral to Conceptia on April 16/14

1st appointment at Conceptia was May 28/14, recommended IVF/icsi

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

Started BCP September 7th, Suprefact September 24th and Puregon/Pregnyl October 6th

Oct 17 ER - 11 eggs 10 mature 8 fertilized

Oct 22 ET - 1 4BB & 1 3BB blast

1 Frostie

Nov 3 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET#1

Jan 9/15 - Baseline good to go ET tentatively scheduled for Jan 29

Cancelled - estradiol not cooperating

IVF#2

Started BCP February 4, Superfact March 3 and Puregon/Pregnyl March 15th

March 26 ER - 9 eggs 6 fertilized

March 31 ET - 1 3AA blast

2 Frosties

April 13 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET #2 - August 2015 - Chemical pregnancy

Last FET Fall 2016

#2 hamiltwin

hamiltwin
  • Global 100+
  • 376 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Hannam...previously at OFC

Posted 06 January 2015 - 10:40 PM

My husband, an engineer, did my injections for me! We met with our clinic nurse who did all the teaching. My husband was really worried about giving me an injection but he did well! Perhaps, ask a nurse to teach your partner how to do the injections, if he's up for it! I was only on PIO injections for a few days pre and post transfer. Good luck with your FET! I hope there is a BFP in you near future!

For full details on our IF journey, see my About Me page.

Summary:

Secondary infertility due to Mosaic Triple X syndrome, endometriosis and teratospermia.

IVF#1 (Sept 2013) with fresh transfer: BFN.

IVF#2 (March 2014) converted to IUI due to poor response: BFN

IVF#2.1 (October 2014): freeze-all due to PGS. 2 euploid blastocysts, 2 "no results".

FET#1 (December 2014): chemical pregnancy.

FET#2 (March 2015): BFN. No more euploid blasts. sad.png

FET#3 (Nov 2015): after many cancelled cycles we finally transferred our last 2 "no result" blasts. hcg 329 at 9pd5dt th_abfp.gif

July 8, 2016: Our precious girls were born at 37 weeks gestational age! babygirl.gifbabygirl.gif

#3 kookacola

kookacola
  • Global 100+
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:4x4ing, camping, music, reading romance books, swinning, spending time with my husband and daughter
  • Dx:Other

Posted 06 January 2015 - 11:46 PM

my dh did mine.  It's quite easy.  Just by some cream called Emlia and put ig on the area that would be the bubum and wait about and hour and the skin and area is numbed and then inject.  quick and painless that way. 

married since 1996. '98 went to first ob and given clomid and written off at the door. '99 went to second ob and he did a lap and said if we weren't pg in 6 months referral to RFP. '00 went to RFP and re said she couldn't explain why we couldn't get pg but didn't investigate ether. '03 natural bfp and had m/c at 12 weeks. '04 went to another ob who was an re. he did iui, testing. '05 iui with letrazole-bfn. '06 iui and clomid and cancelled cycle and went in for surgery. Lap and hysteroscopy. did iui and injections and bfn. Referred to RFP again because re got us as far as he could and re said I had high fsh, lh and pof and pcos and endo, also suggested egg donation. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have dd. went to RFP and were told ivf was not a good idea because I respond poorly to meds. ok, let's move onto d/e. Couldn't do d/e until we had a failed cycle under out belts with my eggs. '07 did ivf with my eggs, retrived 3 and 1 made it to transfer- chemical. So moved onto d/e. '09 went back to RFP again for the orientation and consult for d/e and cycled in April '09- 13 eggs retrieved and 4 made it to day 3. Two transferred and bgp with dd. Dd born on 01/01/10!!!! Were crown the New Years Baby!!!! '14 came back for consult and did fet in Nov which was a bfn sad.png we're out of embies and options. Meet re/ob in '15 to discuss options. Considering adoption.

#4 happy wishes

happy wishes
  • Global 100+
  • 139 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:19 AM

Do all FET's use PIO? We are going to be doing a FET sometime this spring. My husband won't be able to help with injections so I'm not sure what I'll do if I need help. I did all of the injections myself with our fresh ivf cycle but did not have to do PIO.  Is it possible to do them yourself?

#5 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:01 AM

@hamiltwin - thanks for the BFP wishes, I hope it's our year :-)

@kookacola - if I do end up doing them at home I will look into that cream, I really like that idea

@happywishes - I believe that all FET's at Conceptia do use PIO but it's only for 4 days.  I don't have my calendar in front of me but I believe it is 2 days prior to transfer, day of transfer and day after transfer....for the rest of the time you use the suppositories.  I too did my own injections for my fresh cycle and I'm just not comfortable with hubby or myself putting a needle in my bum.  I really like the idea of having a professional do it but I'm just not sure where to find one ;-)  I don't think that they are going to OK doing the PIO injections yourself, so far 2 of the 3 nurses told me that they need to be done by a professional....it's just their policy I suppose. 

I did find this policy a little odd because I know from following these boards that most people do it themselves but I'm not going to fight them on it.....if I had to do it for 12 weeks that might be a different story. 

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

Started BCP September 7th, Suprefact September 24th and Puregon/Pregnyl October 6th

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties

Last FET Fall 2016

#6 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 10:03 AM

I did chuckle when they suggested a paramedic....can you imagine calling 911 - HELP I need a needle in my bum ;-)

• mouse and PPD like this

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties

Last FET Fall 2016

#7 kookacola

kookacola
  • Global 100+
  • 557 posts
  • Interests:4x4ing, camping, music, reading romance books, swinning, spending time with my husband and daughter

Posted 07 January 2015 - 11:58 AM

You are on pio for four days? What else do you or are given for post transfer support. I did use pio on both my fresh cycles and my failed fet. I did use pio because our re/ob suggested it and commented ob how well they work.
married since 1996. '98 went to first ob and given clomid and written off at the door. '99 went to second ob and he did a lap and said if we weren't pg in 6 months referral to RFP. '00 went to RFP and re said she couldn't explain why we couldn't get pg but didn't investigate ether. '03 natural bfp and had m/c at 12 weeks. '04 went to another ob who was an re. he did iui, testing. '05 iui with letrazole-bfn. '06 iui and clomid and cancelled cycle and went in for surgery. Lap and hysteroscopy. did iui and injections and bfn. Referred to RFP again because re got us as far as he could and re said I had high fsh, lh and pof and pcos and endo, also suggested egg donation. If it weren't for him, we wouldn't have dd. went to RFP and were told ivf was not a good idea because I respond poorly to meds. ok, let's move onto d/e. Couldn't do d/e until we had a failed cycle under out belts with my eggs. '07 did ivf with my eggs, retrived 3 and 1 made it to transfer- chemical. So moved onto d/e. '09 went back to RFP again for the orientation and consult for d/e and cycled in April '09- 13 eggs retrieved and 4 made it to day 3. Two transferred and bgp with dd. Dd born on 01/01/10!!!! Were crown the New Years Baby!!!! '14 came back for consult and did fet in Nov which was a bfn sad.png we're out of embies and options. Meet re/ob in '15 to discuss options. Considering adoption.

#8 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 January 2015 - 08:38 PM

@kookacola - they prescribed endometrin suppositories as well 

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties

Last FET Fall 2016

#9 ewok

ewok
  • Global 100+
  • 939 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:was CHUM St-Luc, now Ovo

Posted 07 January 2015 - 09:00 PM

Clinic crashing, just saying that yes, most of us do the PIO injections at home without any professional help.  DH did it for me, but I know some ladies do it themselves (that's out of my league!).  Our training consisted mostly of a leaflet given by the clinic, plus they drawed the section in which to inject on my bum (it's much higher than you would think!).  I guess they don't want to bother explaining and fielding scared calls just for the 4 days, but if you are comfortable, just watch a few you tube videos and you can do it without telling them!

Me: 38, DH: 38, together since 1995, TTC since 2004

PCOS, endometriosis Stage 3
Multiple early pregnancy loss (stopped counting at 8)
Left Hydrosalpinx seen on Ultrasound during my first miscarriage
July 2013: ER visit, found Ectopic pregnancy in right tube, internal bleeding, emergency surgery with removal of both my tubes.  Next phase IVF

IVF #1: March/April 2014, Antagonist protocol with Estrogen priming, OHSS risk, no transfer but many frosties

FET#1: June/July 2014: BFN...

FET#2: October 2014: BFP
July 19th: DD is born.  Our little miracle
(more details on About Me page)

#10 kookacola

kookacola
  • Global 100+
  • 557 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 01:13 AM

Cd- are the pio injections at a higher dose?

#11 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 03:11 PM

@ewok - I'm going to try to find someone to do it, worse case I'll have hubby do it but I'm going to try to avoid that ;-)

@kookacola - I don't know my dose as of yet, today is my CD1 so I have a scan tomorrow so I suspect I'll know more then.

Another weird thing about my clinic is we use estrogel instead of estrace.  I've never heard of anyone else expect us doing that.  I'm going with the flow though.  It does work so I have to trust it will for me too.

• ewok likes this

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties

Last FET Fall 2016

#12 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 January 2015 - 08:40 PM

Yay! I found someone.  My best friend is a paramedic so she's more than willing :-) (I didn't want to assume she would) I'm going to get some numbing cream too.

I'd still like to know what the other people at my clinic do.

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties