• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 nkpdds

nkpdds
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 20 December 2014 - 09:22 PM

Has anyone had egg retrieval done at Mount Sinai? I just had mine done this week and it was way worse than expected. The IV sedation did not do anything for me, they maxed out the fentanyl every 10 mins and it was still awful. It was the worst medical procedure I've ever had in my life. Just wondering if anyone knows if they or any clinic in TO offers ER under general anaesthetic? I have a pretty high pain tolerance and while I expected this to be painful I didn't expect anything like this. We did get many embryos which are still going on day 3 but I don't know if I could do it again without GA.

#2 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:06 PM

I'm sorry you had a bad experience with your retrieval.  I had a retrieval at Mt Sinai and I didn't find it too bad.  No worse than  my first retrieval at another clinic.  However, I know the experience is different for everyone and in my case, I never had many eggs so the procedure wasn't lengthy.

I have read some retrieval stories from women that have gone to the Markham clinic and I believe that clinic uses more than just the conscious sedation that most places use.

I hope you don't need another retrieval but if you do I hope you have a better experience.

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#3 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1101 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:07 PM

I am really sorry you had a tough time at Mount Sinai. I did an egg retrieval there back in 2012. I had a bad experience as well there. But, they did take out a lot of eggs, so that is what caused the pain.

Was it a longer procedure than what you thought?

I think for the most part, what you went through is pretty much the norm. It is a grin and bare it sort of situation. But, once it is over, it is over.

Maybe you can discuss with your RE about better pain meds during ER. Which doctor are you with?

IVF #1
Loss @ 11 weeks (vanishing twin)👼
Loss @ 24 weeks due to pprom (Karolina)👼
Birth of Son #1 in 2014 🌈
Birth of Son #2 in 2016 🌈

May all your dreams come true in ways you least expect it❤️

#4 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1101 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:10 PM

Hopingfor1, so glad you have a baby in your arms:) Did you conceive at Mount Sinai?

I lost my baby girl to pprom at 23 weeks. I seen that on your signature and just wanted to post how lucky you are to have experienced that later, than earlier. Glad your little one is safe, here and happy:) Did you deliver at Mount Sinai?

• Hopingfor1 likes this
IVF #1

#5 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 10:20 PM

Hopingfor1, so glad you have a baby in your arms:) Did you conceive at Mount Sinai?

I lost my baby girl to pprom at 23 weeks. I seen that on your signature and just wanted to post how lucky you are to have experienced that later, than earlier. Glad your little one is safe, here and happy:) Did you deliver at Mount Sinai?

Hi Karolinasmommy - thank you for your message!

Yes, I was very lucky and with low chances for success I did conceive at Mt Sinai and was very fortunate to have continued my care with a Mt Sinai OB as without him I may not have my daughter now.

I am so sorry about your daughter and, at the same time, am so happy for you that you have been able to have a successful pregnancy since then.

Yes - I delivered at Mt Sinai after a pregnancy with lots of complications.  I had PPROM at 28 weeks and then spent 5 weeks in the hospital.  I am thankful everyday that she waited as long as she did and that everything turned out well.  All the stress during the pregnancy was worth it in the end:)

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#6 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1101 posts

Posted 20 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

Wow...I am so happy that your daughter is doing well. Premature babies are so fragile. It is heartbreaking. I like to hear success stories because I feel better knowing some people fought those same odds and had good outcomes. That some didn't get to suffer the loss part and it is a great feeling. Those who did go through the loss bit have another deeper step of growing up. It really takes a toll on your future. Mount Sinai was my safety net for the healthy pregnancy. I will forever be grateful for what they do. I'm glad you had such a great experience, while going through so much stress and a difficult pregnancy. It means a lot to those who land in our situation and know that there are others who have went before them.

• Hopingfor1 likes this
IVF #1

#7 nkpdds

nkpdds
  • 8 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Mount Sinai

Posted 24 December 2014 - 09:57 PM

Thanks for everyone's responses. It was very difficult but I'm almost over it now. I had 20 follicles, 14 eggs retrieved, procedure lasted 35 minutes, 13 mature eggs, 12 fertilized, but in the end only 3 BB blastocysts frozen. Dr Chan did the ER under Dr Shapiro's supervision. I usually see Dr. Greenblatt. She ordered a freeze all cycle because she dx me a diabetic during my initial consultation. I see her again in mid Jan. where I'll discuss my ER and when I can implant these little guys. 

#8 Karolinasmommy

Karolinasmommy
  • Cyclebase
  • 1101 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 03:15 AM

Yup, same doctor did my ER. And I had a pretty similar experience in terms of time it took and how painful it went. My results were also similar to yours in terms of eggs collected and fertilized.

That ER was actually very stressful on me, it was my second ER. My first was at another clinic which I found to be easy on me.

Good luck to you in January!!

IVF #1

#9 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts

Posted 25 December 2014 - 04:08 PM

Hi nkpdds - I am glad you have 3 blastocysts and hope your transfer goes well.  I know the challenges associated with diabetes, as although I am not diabetic now, I did develop gestational diabetes during my pregnancy.

For me, Dr. Jones did my retrieval (under supervision) and she also did my transfer.  I credit her with my pregnancy as all other doctors had a terrible time with my cervix but not her.

Good luck with your appointment in January!

2013 - Switch clinics

Slow response as usual

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65