Jay23
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts
  • Interests:makin' a baby
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Heartland-VFC

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:31 PM

I'm new here, I just found out my FSH is 12.2. and my AMH is 0.4
I am a patient of Dr Mctavish's at Heartland, I haven't seen him since my results came in. I called and they gave them to me over the phone. I've done my research and I realize things aren't good, I was devistated.
I made a consultation with Dr. Hudson at VFC, I've heard amazing things about him.
Do I have any hope with my low levels. Has anyone with similar levels had success? I'm in need of a positive storey.
  • Kms3485 likes this

#2 ollie2013

ollie2013
  • Global 100+
  • 845 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 08:41 PM

Hi Jay23,

I am so sorry for what you are going through. Do you mind me asking how old you are? I too suffer from diminished ovarian reserve and my last amh test which was in july was 1.4

There are many ladies on here who have had success with low amh levels..please do not give up hope. There are many ways to get pregnant even if you have challenges with your eggs.

If you ever want to send me a private message, feel free!!

me 26, dh 32

ttc for almost 3 years

one ectopic pregnancy, lost one tube- 2013

one miscarriage- 2014

poor egg quality, unstable hormone levels. AMH dropped from 4 to 1.5 in 4 months.. had it retested and came back at 1.4

RE predicts that i will go through menopause around age 30..27 or 28. Suggests one round  of ivf and then it is time to move onto another option.

1st ivf booked to begin in september

Sept 17- B/w and U/S, Starting Stimulation

Clinic Error and IVF cycle cancelled in October- took some time to think about my options

November- Moving onto donor eggs-

donor #1 selected through little miracles

Dec 29- Lupron Injection

Jan 22- Estrace Started

Estimated Retrieval day for donor is Feb 6. 5 days into the cycle, donor was found to have cocaine and marijuana in her bloodstream- cycle cancelled.. heartbroken and very disappointed

Donor egg cycle round 2 - let's hope things go well this time!

Donor #2 selected... Retrieval in April!

#3 Google76

Google76
  • Global 100+
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Photography ... Knitting ... Swimming
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 27 November 2014 - 09:11 PM

Hi Jay,

I've got a very low AMH too. When VFC requested the test in the summer it came back in the region of 0.16. I had one cancelled cycle due to low response (probably from too much suppression IMHO). I took DHEA for three months before trying again. My response wasn't great but Dr H was willing to push forward and see how it panned out. Four eggs retrieved, three fertilised, two put back on day two and I'm currently 14 weeks 3 days with twins!

I firmly believed that if it was ever going to work for us it would be with the VFC team. I just never ever expected it to be on my first complete cycle!

Good good luck!
  • SunshineTTC and Jay23 like this
me & mr me - 38 ... married 2003 DX - he's perfect but I had complex endometrial hyperplasia with atypia (reversed with hormone treatment) full cycle details in my about me bitty ...

#4 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:36 PM

Hi Jay23 - I'm a Winnipegger with DOR myself...0.5 as of September. As you can see from my auto signature we just got a great surprise. DOR honestly stinks but if you find an RE with expertise in the area you have a fighting chance. Dr Hudson is an excellent choice.
  • Faith&Hope, Crazy and dallz like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#5 Jay23

Jay23
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

Thank you so much for the reply ladies, I just turned 30 years old, my levels are significantly low for my age. I just hope the quality of my little eggs are good. I started taking Coq10 and Maca. I'm trying to change my diet to more greens so I can giving my eggs the best chance for good quality that I can.

I have a phone consult book with Dr. Hudson at VFC in Jan, and we are so excited to hear what he has to say. I have heard nothing but amazing thing about him and his Team. I'm a little nervous cause we will be traveling from Winnipeg to see him, I cross my fingers that it'll be worth it.

Google76 your storey gives me so much hope, thank you so much for sharing it with me. I always say I would love to have twins. We've been through so much heartache and I've always dreamed out 2 munchkins, it would be a dream to be pregnant once and never have to worry about infertility again.

Ollie2013your AMH is low but not terrible, I know a gal with the same AMH and she's pregnant with twins. It can happen for you:)

Thank again
J
  • Google76 likes this

#6 Jay23

Jay23
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 10:52 PM

CdnHockeyGal that's amazing to hear!! So your cycle you got pregnant was that IUI?

I'm not writing Heartland off cause I really haven't had a terrible experience but I've just heard amazing things about VFC. Who do you see?

#7 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:12 PM

In Wpg our AMH is measured by the American scale because they send it down to Mayo to be processed. A lot of the other girls have their measurements in Cdn levels...so our AMH levels would actually have to be converted to Cdn or vice versa for someone who has their AMH done in Canada. :)

I actually use the clinic in Fargo, North Dakota. I've never been to VFC but I have many friends who have used the clinic. VFC has an outstanding reputation. There are those from Winnipeg who have flown out for the entire duration of their treatment and others who have only flown out for retrieval and transfer. The clinic will be able to walk you through all that though.

It was an IUI...it was supposed to be IVF but I didn't respond well so we did an IUI convert. We have a long, long, long way to go but it's still pretty neat.

Best of luck in your journey!
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#8 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:21 PM

Yes I was going to say, be careful because there are 2 different units of measurement for AMH, ng/mL (normal range 1-10) and pmol/L (normal range 7-70).  Mine is 1.6 pmol/L, which is extremely low.  Some provinces in Canada (including BC?) don't test AMH and send it to the US which reports ng/L.  Mine was tested in Ottawa and Regina.

I echo the above confident feeling that if Dr H at VFC couldn't get me pregnant then no one could, which isn't the feeling I had at my previous 2 clinics.  Truly a special place.

• CdnHockeyGal likes this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#9 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 27 November 2014 - 11:45 PM

I just saw your sig Sunshine! Congrats!!!

#10 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 12:56 AM

Thanks CdnHockeyGal, congrats to you too, almost the exact same time!!  Still such a long road ahead, only one small step with still such high age-related risk too... but as your sig says, I too was so happy to finally find out it's possible.  And now...  no wine for either of us low-AMHers lol!  So back to the original question, expectations vs. reality need to be managed, but yes there's definitely hope :)

• Faith&Hope, ociwoman and CdnHockeyGal like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#11 wannakid

wannakid
  • Global 100+
  • 572 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:22 PM

Hi There, 

I highly recommend you check out the Poor Responders in the AREA 51 area of this website.  You need a password to get in so pm me for the password.  In there is an ongoing thread of people with DOR (which I started many years ago).

I was diagnosed with DOR many years ago.  Despite my grim numbers (my lowest AMH was 0.2 - US value), I am now pregnant with my second child.  It took many retrievals to get to this point, and doctors with expertise in the right protocol to put me on (my first moron of an RE put me on a protocol that involved me being on the BCP and Lupron for 6 weeks, despite a very low AMH and one prior high FSH value.  That obviously resulted in me being over-surpressed).  Anyway, half the battle is finding the right protocol.  There are definitely REs who know what they are doing with this. I have heard great things about Dr. H in Victoria and, in fact, other graduates of the Poor Responders forum used him.

Best of luck and pm me if you have any questions.

WK

• GraceM likes this

#12 Faith&Hope

Faith&Hope
  • Cyclebase
  • 210 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 01:29 PM

Jay23 - I'm so sorry to hear of your diagnosis. It is definitely devastating to be told you have DOR, especially when it is not as expected (i.e. at a younger age).

As others have mentioned, yes - there is a difference between the US units (ng/ml) and Canadian units (pmol/L) when measuring AMH. To go from US to Canadian, multiply by 7.14 (so if your AMH is 0.4 ng/mL, this would be 2.9 pmol/L).

I was diagnosed with DOR at age 32. To make things even harder, my husband has severe MFI so IVF-ICSI was our only option, and given my DOR, as expected, my response to ovarian stimulation medications was not great. However, I am a firm believer that it is all about quality and not quantity, and being your age, even with a lower egg reserve, the ones you have are still likely to be of good quality still.

So, it is still possible to be successful even with DOR. Some women even can still conceive spontaneously, while others can via IUI, and then obviously also via IVF. However, if you do pursue IUI or IVF it may take several cycles to find the medication stimulation protocol that works best for you. For women with DOR, there is a risk of being oversuppressed with some medications (BCP and Lupron, as WK mentioned above), so the choice of protocol is very important, but there is no "one best" protocol for every women with DOR. Some of the ones that seem to be more successful around here include estrogen-priming protocols or low stimulation dose protocols. It may be overwhelming, but everyone here is so supportive so feel free to ask any questions!

It was recommended that I take CoQ10 also (previously my RE had prescribed a prescription fertility supplement for women with prior IVF failures, but now he said the main benefit in it was the CoQ10, so can just take the CoQ10 on its own). When you meet with your RE (whichever clinic you end up going with), also ask about the pros and cons of DHEA (it is very controversial in the DOR world - some clinics use it and others don't....mine didn't 3 years ago but now does).

However, I would be wary of taking Maca - I don't believe there are any proper scientific studies examining its use in DOR but do know it can have an adverse effect on thyroid function (despite the many websites purporting its benefit).

Good luck!

2009-2010 - TTC #1 Dx - Combined - DOR diagnosed at age 32: AMH 10.7 pmol/L (1.5 ng/ml), high FSH (highest FSH 27.3), low AFC; and MFI: >95% anti-sperm antibodies/oligoasthenoteratozoospermia)

IVF-ICSI#1 Jul/Aug 2011: (Me: 33, DH 37) Natural start antagonist protocol with Menopur 300 IU daily, Orgalutran. FSH 15, AFC 10, 7 eggs retrieved, 3 suitable for ICSI, 2 fertilized, 2 grade 1 embryos transferred on day 3.
Presumed ectopic, required methotrexate.

IVF-ICSI#2 attempt 1 - Jan/Feb 2012: Estrogen priming with Antagonist protocol - cancelled (high day 3 FSH 27.3 and unable to get an AFC).

IVF-ICSI#2 attempt 2 - Feb/Mar 2012: Microdose Lupron flare protocol with Puregon 300 IU + Menopur 150 IU daily. FSH 19, AFC 7, 6 eggs retrieved, 3 suitable for ICSI, 1 fertilized, but abnormally, transfer cancelled.

IVF-ICSI#3 - May/June/July 2012: OCP/low stim dose/Antagonist protocol.
May 26/12: started OCP (Cyclen-21) until June 16/12
June 20/12: baseline - FSH 21.7, E2 59 pmol/L, AFC 4 (right) +? (left - unable to see left ovary), started Puregon 150 IU + Luveris 75 IU daily
July 3/12: ER - 4 eggs retrieved, but only 2 suitable for ICSI
July 5/12: both eggs fertilized! (one 2-cell and one 4-cell embryo growing)
July 6/12: ET - 3dt of 2 embryos (one 4-cell and one 5-cell - both grade 1)
July 18/12: early beta 12dp3dt - 156
July 20/12: repeat beta 14dp3dt - 446.7 (doubling time ~32 hours)
Aug 10/12: first ultrasound - one heartbeat detected, little one measuring appropriately!
March 28, 2013 - our miracle daughter has arrived!

2014 - TTC#2 - back to the FC Apr/14, started on CoQ10 and DHEA, preparing for IVF-ICSI#4 in August
Aug 7/14 - surprise natural BFP (despite severe combined infertility diagnoses)
Aug 28/14 - viability u/s - heartbeat detected
April 4, 2015 - our second miracle daughter has arrived!

#13 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 29 November 2014 - 04:15 PM

I am a former graduate of the Poor Responders Group too. I had severe DOR at age 32. I can't remember my exact numbers but they were quite dismal. Dr. H at VFC persisted with IVF for us with only 2 eggs to work with and I became pregnant with my daughter. Then just a few months after she was born my son was conceived the old fashioned way. The younger you are, the more likely you will have success in finding that golden egg!

Congrats on your second child Wannakid!
  • GraceM likes this

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#14 Jay23

Jay23
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 06:10 PM

I am so happy I found this website I honestly felt like I had no hope before I read through this form. The more I read the better things I hear about Dr. Hudson in Victoria. He actually sent me a personal email this morning saying thank you for filling out my forms and getting them to him. I was impressed, on a Sunday to boot.

I am now questioning taking Maca, I was taking it at night and was having terrible sleeps. I'm thinking that's why. I'm going to see my chinese medicine doctor tomorrow, I'll see what she says.
  • Google76 and SunshineTTC like this

#15 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 627 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 30 November 2014 - 07:32 PM

Just wanted to pop in and say a big congrats to Sunshine TTC and CdnHockeyGal! Awesome news you guys. biggrin.png That's gotta feel good after all your hard work!

north

• CdnHockeyGal and SunshineTTC like this

#16 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 30 November 2014 - 09:45 PM

Thanks North!  :)  It's a big victory.  Betas unfortunately are not promising but it's nice to know we can which for some time was a matter of great concern.  Taking it day by day.  Good luck with cycle!!!  Fingers crossed for you!!!

#17 Jay23

Jay23
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:13 PM

Ladies, I'm curious, while I'm waiting for my consults to start IVF, is there any benefit in me taking letrozole? I'm worried about it just depleting my ovarian reserve more. Ive taken 3 cycles in a row now. (2 earlier in the summer as well) I did have a ultrasound last cycle that showed 2 follicles on my left ovary measuring at 15mm and 1 on my right measuring at 14mm on CD 9 (ovulated on CD 14) endometrium 4.5 .
I appreciate your thoughts
J

#18 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 02:01 AM

Jay23 -- Why don't you send Dr H an email asking about the Maca and Letrozole?  I say this because I was already asking many Qs in the months before my consult (actually even before I asked for a consult), Dr H is truly fantastic in his willingness to try to help out.

North - Thanks, it's one day at a time with huge age-related risk, but so far so good.  Fx for you this cycle at SIRM, I am rooting for you! :)

#19 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:11 PM

Thanks North!  smile.png  It's a big victory.  Betas unfortunately are not promising but it's nice to know we can which for some time was a matter of great concern.  Taking it day by day.  Good luck with cycle!!!  Fingers crossed for you!!!

CdnHockeyGal ~ ah crap. So sorry to hear that. sad.png But yes, you did get pregnant so that's a great sign. Take care and sending you my best.

And thanks for the good wishes.

north

#20 north

north
  • Global 100+
  • 627 posts

Posted 03 December 2014 - 08:13 PM

North - Thanks, it's one day at a time with huge age-related risk, but so far so good.  Fx for you this cycle at SIRM, I am rooting for you! smile.png

SunshineTTC - yup, one day at a time....one day at time. I getcha. Got my fingers and toes crossed for you. And thanks for the FX from you too! :)

#21 Curlygirl77

Curlygirl77
  • Global 100+
  • 148 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Centre

Posted 01 January 2015 - 06:27 PM

Congrats to all DOR ladies out there who had success with their pregnancies!

I was also diagnosed with DOR, at the age of 35.  We managed to get pregnant 3 times in the first year that we tried though despite this (2 chemical pregnancies, and one amazing little boy).  I was hard core about the CoQ10, who knows if it helped??  

I also saw something on the internet recently about how it's not actually AMH levels that are most predictive of IVF success with DOR, but moreso age.  So I think at 30 your odds are still good if you have a clinic that is really committed to helping you.  And don't give up on natural conception either. 

Good luck and don't give up hope :-)

• GraceM likes this

Diagnosed with DOR in October 2012

Surprise BFP October 2012! Chemical pregnancy

January 2013- decided to pursue donor egg IVF with my sister- she is diagnosed with DOR as well :-(

July 2013- decided on donor egg IVF in Europe, planning on early 2014 to give time to try naturally

Surprise BFP September 2013. Another chemical pregnancy :-( At the same time, a dear friend offers to donate her eggs to us! Her testing begins...

Surprise BFP October 2013!!! 

First beta 29/10- 36

Second beta 31/10- 106, right on track!

Third beta 03/11- 277

Fourth beta 09/11- only 622... doubling time more than 3 days :-( Bracing ourselves for another miscarriage.

Fifth and final beta 12/11- 1875! Tripled in 3 days. RE wondering about ectopic...  

13/11- first ultrasound- gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole seen! Baby measuring exactly right on for dates! We are ecstatic!!!  Too early for heartbeat so now waiting patiently for next ultrasound.

05/12- 8+6 - beautiful heartbeat of 165 heard and baby is exactly the right size (and also very photogenic).  Can't believe it!!!!!!

12/12- 9+5 - first OB appointment. New due date is July 12th by our 8 week scan. Can't believe how much baby was moving in there on the ultrasound today!!! Happy little heartbeat too.

June 17, 2014-  our little miracle baby boy born by c-section for pre-eclampsia and breech at 36 weeks!  He is so awesome.  So incredibly thankful....

Surprise BFP July 2015. Third chemical pregnancy. Ugh.

Surprise BFP August 2015.  Seems too good to be true.  Very cautious but holding out a bit of hope...

First beta 02/09 - 2811

Second beta 10/09 - 29 455

22/09 - first ultrasound at 7+5! Little baby measuring right on track with a beautiful heartbeat. Due date May 5th!

April 21, 2016 - our second miracle boy is born naturally after a c-section the first time.  What an experience… We are so thankful to the universe and feel that our family is now complete. 

#22 Jay23

Jay23
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

Has any with DOR's monthly cycles changed overtime?

My cycles switched to 27 day from 25, I don't seem to have any cervical mucas anymore and I'm not sure that I'm ovulating? Or if I am its very early in my cycle. Urghh this is so frustrating. I feel like it just getting worse and worse while I wait for my consult at VFC. Also anyone get night sweats? When I read about menopause I have all the signs, I'm nervous this is all changing as soon as I want to start ivf :(

Strangly enough this all seeemed to change as soon as I was diagnosised with OR.

#23 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 01:23 PM

Jay23 - would you consider acupuncture?  I see Dr. Rebecca Sprintz on Corydon and I have been to other highly recommended practioners on this site and 4th generation TCMs from China...for me...Rebecca is hands down the best.  She got my cycles to normal lengths (too short previously) and got me ovulating at a normal time...I had been ovulating around CD20 of a 25 day cycle...it's CD11 and I just texted my DH with strict instructions to come home early tonight...LOL  She stopped spotting I had between cycles.  The only overheating at night for me happens when I'm close to ovulating.  She even got my DH up to a normal count!

http://www.winnipegacu.com/

I'm seeing her partner Clare today since Rebecca is in Florida this week.  You can actually feel the chi and it's nearly instantly dramatically better results.  Complete miracle worker.

• GraceM and dallz like this

#24 Jay23

Jay23
  • Global 100+
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 January 2015 - 02:20 PM

CdnHockeyGal- thanks I'm actually seeing Dr. Chernish on Pembina. I've just recently got back into it. He was able to help me with night sweats and acne so I should just continue to give it more of a chance. I hadn't gone since the summer and just started again before Xmas. I did go see Rebecca for a second opinion and I liked her but continued with Dr. Chernish.

I tend to get night sweats before my period shows up, that's usually how I know I'm not pregnant every month.

That's great that she got your husbands count up. My hubby isn't sold on acupuncture...he just doesn't understand the effects.
J

#25 JJMacSheffie

JJMacSheffie
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

i find this quite interesting, i have posted elsewhere but am 33 and this week was told by dr h that since my amh was low (normal fsh, lh, and day 21 prog, elevated estradiol on day 3) my only hope was de and that there was no point in going ahead with ivf on my own. i am quite frustrated with the rush to de, especially reading that he has so willing to try with others. i am thinking i will ask for another consult and request more info on why the hesitation. thanks for these posts all, it definitely helps to hear about others who have had success!