How exactly does Acupunture improve embryo quality - Ask The Acupuncturist - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

How exactly does Acupunture improve embryo quality

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 RFree83

RFree83
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 12 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

I am looking into my 3rd cycle and may or may not try acupuncture. I understand that it increases blood flow to the reproductive organs but I'm just not sure how that improves embryo quality or lowers FSH. It's pricey and finding a way to pay for it and the cycle fees seems pretty much impossible right now.

How does is truly help quality (which seems to be my problem)
What is the minimum you would have to do it to see a result?
  • Fuelgirl likes this

#2 Fuelgirl

Fuelgirl

Fuelgirl

• Global 100+
  • 166 posts
  • Interests:Becoming a parent, travelling and sharing my knowledge to help others in their journey.
  • Dx:Other

Posted 12 November 2014 - 10:57 PM

Hi there,

Where are you in your journey?

Have you found an acupuncturist that is TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine)? I find they are more in tune with pre and post IVF cycles, but I also use an english speaking TCM practitioner right now. Experience is key.

I just took the first of many acupuncture courses this past summer. The idea scientifically is that your body is stimulated in the exact points relative to where you are in your cycle or pregnancy, to maximize blood flow to uterus, ovaries and any other part that is needing more nutrients. The Chinese aspect of health believes Qi is moved to areas in need or excess, so the body as a whole, spirit too, is more calmer, struggles less to function thus improving the quality of our Qi. It's well worth the $50 fee for 45 minutes of pure relaxation, bliss and if you believe in it, can help you visualize light and energy filling your body. Its quite an experience, if you are open to it. Even 2-4 sessions will bring you into balance. I have done it twice weekly for 3 months to regulate my periods (heavy clotting, irregular cycle, cramping, severe migraines) to now once every week or so prior to this donor cycle, and then day before ET and day of ET, then again weekly to support my uterus, and Qi. 

Some people believe in it, others don't, but years and years of eastern belief system has to help in some way, but again, you need to trust and speak to your acupuncturist and make a plan. once you are comfortable with the needles going in, you will find you are more relaxed, feeling more settled and I find it really helps me stay calm throughout the time I am laying there, thinking of my body and how it serves me, being positive in all the appointments and waiting. 

I hope this helps you a little bit, but do your research and find a good one. Most people need 2-3 times to decide if its for them, but it is always doing something good!

March 2011
IVF #1 BFP....5 week u/s found no embryos in sac - medicated miscarriage @ 6 weeks
Oct 2011
FET: BFN
Jan 2012
IVF #2 BFN

April 2012: Adoption Options application and seminar

Jan 2014: AO file renewed for year 2

March 2014: Looking for our donor

April 9 2014: Dr. Hudson at VFC feels I can carry if I follow a wheat-free diet, lose more weight, and all our tests come back normal. Will see how things go, and think we have found an egg donor!

Sept 29: start BCP, Preg Vit 5, Iron, Greens from It Works (I am a Distributor :)

Oct 17: Depo Lupron Shot, continue bcp, prenatal etc.

Oct 24: Last bcp, period should start in next 4 days

Oct 29 Blood test (Estradol and progesterone)

Oct 31 Start Estrace and 81mg aspirin

13 Nov - fly to Victoria with donor

14 Nov - base line u/s and bw, both of us.

week of 20th retrieval/transfer

#3 RFree83

RFree83
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 13 November 2014 - 08:08 AM

I have done it in the past in an effort to improve fertility and I did find I felt better but at the end of the month and I was broke, I no longer felt like it helped. $120 weekly adds up pretty fast.

Now that I have two failed IVFs due to embryo equality I'm trying to find something that will help.

#4 manders

manders
  • Cyclebase
  • 1461 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:NewLife Fertility

Posted 13 November 2014 - 12:23 PM

I have had a journey...read below. With my last cycle failing, I'm willing to do anything for a healthy positive pregnancy. So I did my research and am doing acupuncture this time around. I don't live te needles going in, but most of the time I can relax for the 45min while laying on the table. Although expensive and definitely adds up, perhaps it's worth a shot! Good luck.
Oct 2011- first visit to fertility clinic- Feb 2012- IVF #1- 21 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 11 fertilized, 5 made it to freeze on day 5- OHSS was brutal! March 2012 FET transferred 1- BFP- ended in mc- May 2012 transferred 2 BFP- pregnant with twins. Mc one and gave birth to DS Feb 2013- Oct 2013 back to clinic- Jan 2014 transferred 2- BFP- ended in mc- April 2014 IUI- BFN- July 2014 IVF#2- retrieved 42 eggs, 34 mature, used ICSI this time and 23 fertilized. 17 made it to freezing day 5/6. OHSS kicked in...(not as bad as the first time thank goodness, but VERY uncomfortable). PGS results came back with only 5 normal embryos. 3 2AA's, 1 2AB and 1 3AB. Sept 5- transferred 2, 2AA's. 7dp5dt blood test negative:( Nov 8- transfered 1 2AA and 1 2AB. POAS 6dp5dt BFP!! Beta 7dp5dt 76.14. Beta 8dp5dt 125. Beta 10dp5dt 355! 12dp5dt- 769! 14dp5dt 1085:( spotting, bleeding. 16dp5dt cervix closed, early ultrasound shows 1 gestational sac with yolk sac :) Beta 1853 cause of bleeding unknown. Dr says bedrest 'ish' for 1 week. 18dp5dt beta 3076. 22dp5dt bleeding and cramping again. All still looks ok on u/s. Beta 6000 ish, but Dr thinks it's because of the bleed and it should catch up. 25dp5dt another bleed beta 10 000. 6w4d we saw a heartbeat, 110bpm, beta 13880. 7w2d baby measuring only 6w4d hb 121. 8w2d baby measuring 7w4d hb 150. 10w3d baby measuring 9w4d hb 166.
Posted Image

#5 Dr. Brown FABORM

Dr. Brown FABORM
  • Advisor
  • 350 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Acubalance

Posted 23 November 2014 - 10:58 PM

Hi

I will give a very Coles notes version of this in the post here today.  For those who live in Vancouver area we do offer regular talks on all the natural approaches to optimize your fertility.   Acupuncture is just one of many options available to help with optimizing fertility. 

The goal is healthy baby

healthy baby = healthy egg + healthy sperm + healthy uterine environment

For the egg's part, it is beneficial to have a healthy ovarian environment during the 4 -12 month of the follicles recruitment.

I just saw a video by my colleague today on acupuncture's role in supporting you on your fertility journey.  See video below using Youtube link

At Acubalance we use a multifaceted and integrated approach.  Diet, lifestyle, naturopathy, functional medicine testing and treatment, acupuncture, supplements, stress reduction and herbs.

https://www.youtube....zgDkoxuEs#t=213

Lorne Brown B.Sc.,CA, Dr.TCM, FABORM, CHt
Doctor of Traditional Chinese Medicine and Clinical Hypnotherapist
Founder and Clinical Director Acubalance Wellness Centre (British Columbia)
www.acubalance.ca
www.ifsymposium.com
604-678-8600