• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 echinacea

echinacea
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:47 PM

I feel I was not given quality treatment.

I started my fertility journey at age 40.  After 7 IUI's I begged to jump to IVF because of my age.  I was not allowed.  I had to have a laparoscopy and then 3 IUI's with injectables(another 7500.00).  I also feel that my donor sperm was not thawed properly and was only once put under a microscope to check for motility.

The clinic gave me some bad photocopies of male sperm donors with no pictures and that was how I was told to choose my donor.   It was never suggested to me that I could go online for pictures and to choose another donor.

Do I have any recourse.  I feel very ripped off.

I have since gone on to have a beautiful daughter from another clinic but am having trouble dealing with what happened to me at this clinic.  The doctor who treated me has since retired.

#2 echinacea

echinacea
  • Just Hatched
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 November 2014 - 03:54 PM

Me again, I just wanted to add a few more things.  My computer keeps freezing up on me.  About the thawing of the sperm - it would be completely frozen when the doctor came in to perform the IUI.  He would leave the room and then come back and perform the IUI>  I think the proper procedure is to have it thaw for 10 or 15 minutes.  How do I even know this was good sperm for the thousands of dollars I spent.  After I followed their protocol I was given a phone call letting me now basically goodbye and goodluck and the doctor would be happy to be your gynecologist.  I told them no, I want to go to IVF finally.  I followed your protocol.    It was devastating.  At the age of 43 they told me they would no longer take me as a patient.  Is there anything I can do at this point.

#3 ladylazarus

ladylazarus
  • Cyclebase
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:Being a good pilgrim...
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:09 PM

Here in the US, the cutoff is around 45. I was under the impression that was more or less the standard in Canada as well. My experience at 39 was being told at my very first appointment ever, proceed to IVF. I was the one who had to argue for IUI before IVF and as it turns out, they were right! I'm shocked to hear that your clinic was not offering IVF after 3-4 failed IUI's. I understand the feeling of being shown the proverbial door when you feel a clinic hasn't treated you right, especially because of age. When you are learning under pressure, it is tough to be your own advocate. Obviously you came up to speed and found another clinic. I haven't dealt with DS so I don't know anything about thawing but it seems like you have a gut feeling that you got very poor treatment, whether or not they made an actual medical mistake. There is such a huge difference in a clinic that treats you like a number (or worse) or a clinic that is genuinely interested in taking care of you. Sorry for this all happened to you; I don't have any advice, just understanding.

Me - 46 One Blocked Tube, One Sleepy Ovary
DH - 56 Tired Swimmers
"I've had dreams enough for one, And I've got love enough for three..."
TTC 4 years
2007 - Charts, temps, pre-seed & all the rest - BFN every month
2008 - 7 IUI's in Seattle, using Femera- All BFN
2009 IVF/ICSI #1 @ PCRM - Canceled Long Lupron, no response (of course!)
2009 IVF/ICSI #2 @ PCRM - BFP, but low HCG (49 @ 11dp3dt), chemical
2010 IVF/ICSI #3 @ VFC - BFP!! Third time was a charm!

Little Ronnie, my Winter Solstice baby was born December 22nd 9:36am, 6lbs 13oz 19.5" long

#4 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 11 November 2014 - 07:26 PM

Very tough to speak to...as the previous posters have indicated...it is a business...and...one could argue that you exercised the right to be dissatisfied when you changed clinics.  I would think it would essentially come down to you having to prove their advice wasn't medically sound...and that's a very long, expensive and subjective process.

This isn't to say I don't agree with you...but...unfortunately often those with the biggest pockets rule...proving medical malpractice is very difficult...and...I think the malpractice insurance lawyers would keep you tied up for ages and run you dry on funds.

I'm really sorry you had that experience.

• ollie2013 likes this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018