Converting IUI to IVF mid cycle....costs? - Waiting Lounge - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Converting IUI to IVF mid cycle....costs?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 boowaacaa

boowaacaa
  • 9 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 10 November 2014 - 04:30 PM

A friend of mine said that she was doing IUI produced too many eggs and was told to either cancel or convert to IVF.  She said she saved significant IVF costs this way.  Has anyone done it this way on purpose (to save money).  I realize that if you do it this way the odds are good that you would not produce enough/many eggs.

Me 36, DH 51 - Unexplained infertility from July 2002-July 2012 - Two failed IUI's in 2004 - Surprize BFP in August 2012 - TTC #2 since October 2013.

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 10 November 2014 - 11:54 PM

I have not heard of this but I can't see it being a viable option.  When doing IUI, the amount of drugs is very low with the intent of only getting a few follicles to produce eggs.  The chances of getting too many are very low.  I don't see how the cost would be that much lower since you would need to pay for retrieval, transfer, freezing, etc.  I guess the meds would have been cheaper but it was unusual to create so many eggs with low dose of drugs.

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 11 November 2014 - 12:27 PM

There aren't a lot of clinics that include the price for conversion from IUI to IVF in their price list.  Just doing a quick search,  I did see that Ottawa Fertility Centre lists it as $5,500 versus $6,500 for a single IVF cycle:

http://www.conceive....E-1July2013.pdf

I don't know the reasons for why the price might be cheaper, but for savings I'm sure everyone would like to say they were doing IUI and then convert to IVF to save money if it was possible...infertility is so unfair and the financial component is another unfair burden we have to worry about on top of everything else.

Clinics don't set out to have a conversion - only if it is medically necessary due to too many follicles and the patient decides to convert to IVF instead of cancel the iUI (if the clinic felt the risk of multiples was too great with IUI due to numerous follicles).  They monitor you for IUI and in addition to using lower stims for IUI cycles, they may adjust your meds down if too much was developing early on and if there was a subsequent cycle, they'd likely use lower doses right from the start to prevent too many follicles developing if someone was shown to respond well to meds and wanted to try IUI.

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#4 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 11 November 2014 - 02:50 PM

Reason the conversion is cheaper is that the ultrasounds during IUI are covered by provincial health, vs IVF they are not. I had asked about this at one point. There would be ethics involved with "trying" from the get go to get converted, because you'd be on higher doses of drugs to attempt to get more follicles and the Dr might be forced to defend why such high doses etc if ever they get audited (which does happen)
  • Hopingfor1 and amp77 like this

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.