#1 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:54 AM

Hi Ladies,

I'm really struggling with making the decision on how many embryo/blasts to transfer (god willing we have this choice to make)...I hope I got my terminology correct, forgive me if it isn't....I'm not an expert ;-P 

Hubby really has strong feelings against transferring 2, I really want to transfer 2.

What decision did/will you make?  What factors went into your decision making process?

I do know the clinic is strongly advising ESET but ultimately its our decision.

Charissa

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

DX WAS - unexplained infertility after DSA = male factor (95% sperm antibodies)

Received referral to Conceptia on April 16/14

1st appointment at Conceptia was May 28/14, recommended IVF/icsi

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

Started BCP September 7th, Suprefact September 24th and Puregon/Pregnyl October 6th

Oct 17 ER - 11 eggs 10 mature 8 fertilized

Oct 22 ET - 1 4BB & 1 3BB blast

1 Frostie

Nov 3 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET#1

Jan 9/15 - Baseline good to go ET tentatively scheduled for Jan 29

Cancelled - estradiol not cooperating

IVF#2

Started BCP February 4, Superfact March 3 and Puregon/Pregnyl March 15th

March 26 ER - 9 eggs 6 fertilized

March 31 ET - 1 3AA blast

2 Frosties

April 13 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET #2 - August 2015 - Chemical pregnancy

Last FET Fall 2016

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 10 October 2014 - 10:59 AM

Check out this recent thread:  https://ivf.ca/forums...twins/?hl=twins

I just read an article about a couple that transferred 2 and both split so they are expecting quads!

It looks like it is your first cycle and, personally, I would transfer 1 but it is a very personal decision.

Best of luck to you!!!

• cdgal1981 likes this

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:02 AM

cdgal.... it really is a personal preference. I know for my clinic they will only allow one day-5 and two day-3s to be transferred, especially for the first couple of rounds. The stats they gave us were as follows:

one day-5: 40% chance of pregnancy, 2% chance of twins

two day-3s: 40% chance of pregnancy, 12% chance of twins

We only have day-3s and as much as we struggled with the risk of twins we both saw how small of a chance it is even though there still is a chance and we decided to transfer two with was a BFN. This month I'm gearing up to do a FET of our last two day-3s and we've not questioned our decision.

Before you make your decision why don't you ask your clinic to give you the stats on single vs. multiple pregnancies with day-3s and day-5s so that you can make an educated decision that works best for you, your DH and your situation. Best of luck!!  :)

• amp77 and cdgal1981 like this

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#4 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 11:15 AM

This may sound silly to some but I'm scared to death to do an FET, because of the PIO injections.  I would prefer to have a singleton pregnancy, twins wouldn't be ideal but also not the end of the world to me.  Where I'm getting up there in age if I do only have one baby I will be cycling again sooner than I would have preferred if things would have gone according to my "plan" but I just can imagine doing this process with a young one (I know people do it I just can't imagine).  I'm also nervous because if this fresh cycle doesn't work for us we will not be cycling again until probably May.....I just can't handle the 4 hours a day of driving on bad roads.

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

Started BCP September 7th, Suprefact September 24th and Puregon/Pregnyl October 6th

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties

April 13 - Beta confirmed BFN

FET #2 - August 2015 - Chemical pregnancy

Last FET Fall 2016

#5 MapleBecky

MapleBecky
  • Global 100+
  • 554 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:00 PM

If your partner only is comfortable with 1, definitely only go with 1. sET is definitely recommended most, especially on a first attempt. Twins are hard work and not something DH felt would be good for us.
  • Red Wine, amp77 and cdgal1981 like this

Becky (35)  Unexpectedly widowed in Feb 2013.  The night after my ER.  I was married to an incredible man named Chris.

Son, age 6
TTC #2 (his first) since our wedding in July 2011.

Dec 1, 2011- Found out he has azoospermia (no sperm in SA.)  Totally heartbroken and shocked.
Jan 2012- First consult at fertility clinic.
March 2012- My tests show high LH but everything else was normal. His LH/FSH were high, testosterone was really low. (4.2)
May 17, 2012- Official Dx of testicular failure and non-obstructive azoo. Given the option of mTESE, TESA or using a donor.
June 7, 2012- Urologist is seeing us again per our request. We need him to answer some questions about the procedures and testosterone.  He would not consider Clomid or any hormones for DH.
June 27, 2012- Saw RE and decided to proceed with dIUI. Told we needed one cycle on the BCP because of my high LH.
June 28, 2012- Started BCP for 21 days. Did pre-IUI micro and blood testing on July 3rd. Told they should be in on time for IUI in early August.
July 21, 2012- CD1. Called clinic and found out my cycle was canceled. They messed up and my file wasn't ready. They forgot to draw vit D and some other results are missing.
August 9, 2012- Nurse left message saying they cannot do this cycle either. Now it will take 2-3 MONTHS for DH's blood tests before we can use donor sperm.
August 10, 2012- RE called. DH has a reactive Hepatitis C blood test and they are trying to figure out if he's got an active infection or was exposed in the past.
August 23, 2012- He's Hep C NEGATIVE! Phew!
October 2012- Latest SA results still shows azoo, but we're glad the testosterone looks normal now. dIUI after 21 days on the pill. Clomid for cd3-7, LH is too high (17 and 14.6) and progestone getting too high. Had 3, 13.5mm folliciles and my lining is 8.6. CD13- Lining was good, triple layer at about 9. Now I just have one 17.5mm follicle on my left side.
October 17, 2012- dIUI  canceled. Clomid didn't work, estrogen too low, LH was normal again and progesterone was off too. Now we need an appointment to talk to our RE again to start over.
Dec 2012- Saw RE and we have to do IVF/ICSI, even with a donor. So, we decided to throw in a TESA with donor backup. Bloodwork this cycle, BCP and mock in Jan and hopefully a Feb IVF/ICSI/TESA!

IVF #1
Mock done, teaching visit done.  Started Suprefact on Jan 30.  AF arrived on schedule.
Baseline done, starting Gonal-F and Luveris Feb 11.
Stim day 4-  1 follicle at 11mm, 40 more under 10.  My lining is already a triple lining and at 8.6
Stim day 6-  8-9 follices between 11-13mm at least 20 more under 10mm.  This doctor saw my lining at 6.3?   Encouraged to walk because my circulation to my uterus wasn't what they wanted to be this time.  No idea what that means.
Stim day 8-   14 follicles.  All measuring between 11 and 15 with more under 10.   Lining is over 10.  Circulation is good again.   They are letting me skip my day 9 appointment. 
Stim day 10-  TRIGGER tonight!   I have 14 between 15-21mm, a few more at 14 that may catch up.  Lining is over 10.   DH's TESA is tomorrow.
Feb 21-  No sperm found with TESA.   ER tomorrow with donor sperm.
Feb 22-  ER was successful!  Collected 18 eggs.   7 from my right and 8 on my left.  We can skip ICSI because the donor's sperm is great.  Crossing fingers for a good fert report tomorrow.
June 2013- Updating. My husband, Chris, passed away unexpectedly of Sudden Arrhythmia Death Syndrome just hours after my ER on Feb 23.  Had 14 fertilize.  9, 5-day frozen blasts are at the clinic waiting for me to make some decisions. 

FET #1

June 2014-  5-day blast.   BFN just in time for what would have been our 3rd anniversary.  

FET#2

August 2014.  FET #2 on Aug 25 with another 5-day blast.  BFP!   Had scare with a bleed at 4w5d, but beta is still doubling.  Due May 13, 2015.  Ultrasound on Oct 5.

Oct 5-  8w4d-  Blighted Ovum.  Stopping estrogen and progesterone.  Waiting to miscarry.  Looking forward to moving on with life.

Oct 17- D&C.   Feeling peace about being at the end of the infertility battle.  Looking forward to the next chapter in my life.

#6 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

The best advice here is to never transfer more embryos than you can handle babies.  That being said, you could transfer 1 and get twins.  A lady in my due-date group has triplets from a 2 embryo transfer and I mentioned the person with quads from a 2 embryo transfer.  Yes it is rare, but you need to at least understand what could happen and what that means.  

I would read through all the posts on the forum that I posted because there are people who have had twin pregnancies and mention the risks etc.  I posted about my family where we have had 3 sets of twins.  All 3 delivered very early and in 2 of the pregnancies, one baby died shortly after birth.  

For both my cycles, we were only allowed to transfer 1 due to the quality of embryo and guidelines of our trial.  For our first, we only had one embryo good enough on day 5 anyway but the second we managed to transfer 1 and freeze 4.  (At my clinic, only 40% have anything to freeze, so we were shocked and excited to get four!).  For our second (when I am 39ish), we will try a FET with 1, 1, then 2 with our 4 frozen embryos.  As much as I think it would be great to get two for one, I am just really worried about the risks associated with twins, based on family experience.

I didn't do PIO shots but others on here have and they have tips to make them more manageable (like icing the spot etc.).  Childbirth will be way more painful than shots though :D

I totally understand about you not wanting to drive in bad weather.  The added stress is not going to be helpful, but I don't think I would consider that in your decision.

I agree with Trying that you should ask for the stats based on your age, embryo quality, and other factors to help you and your hubby make the decision.  If you and DH still cannot come to a consensus, you may want to visit with a fertility counsellor to help make a decision so that you are both comfortable with your decision.

I wish you success in your cycle and hope that you have lots of great embryos to work with!  It certainly is a difficult choice.

• Red Wine, Crazy, Bubby99 and 1 other like this

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#7 Bubby99

Bubby99
  • 1000+
  • 1344 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Hannam, US DE clinic TBD

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:04 PM

In the end we didn't need to make this call but we talked about it and we were both OK with transferring two but that was b/c the chance of both working out was pretty slim for us.

We both agreed that we would be OK with twins but I do know someone who transferred two, one split so it would have been triplets and they had to make the very difficult decision of reduction...something I wouldn't want to have to be faced with.  

It's a really personal decision but I think you both need to be on board with what you decide.

Good luck!!

• TryingForOur2ndChild, amp77 and cdgal1981 like this

Me - 37 38 DOR

DH - 39 40 (swimmers perfect)

TTC December 2010

Nautral cycle with clomid - too many to count 2012
Cancelled IUI - July 2012 (cysts)
September 2012 IUI mt Sinai BFN
Switched clinics January 2013 to Hannam
IVF #1
ER July 2013 - 4 follies 1 egg unsure.png 
ET July 2013 - transferred 1 embryo grade 2 7 cell
Current 2ww
Aug 2013 th_abfn.gif cry.gif

Sept 2013 Told IVF with my OE is not going to work cry.gif ...time to move onto to Plan B.

2015 Plan B donor eggs

#8 Kitty2011

Kitty2011
  • Global 100+
  • 206 posts
  • My Clinic:New Life Fertility

Posted 10 October 2014 - 12:05 PM

You may want to hold off on making any kind of decision until you start the process and see the quality of the embryos. I've always found that there are so many surprises when cycling that sometimes its better to just make the decisions as they need to be made.  Though I can understand wanting to think about these things early on. Best of luck to you!

• Red Wine, TryingForOur2ndChild, amp77 and 1 other like this

#9 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

You may want to hold off on making any kind of decision until you start the process and see the quality of the embryos. I've always found that there are so many surprises when cycling that sometimes its better to just make the decisions as they need to be made.  Though I can understand wanting to think about these things early on. Best of luck to you!

I made this mistake my first cycle.  I had 36 antral follicles and I thought for sure I would have 6 or 8 eggs to freeze!  In the end I had one great one to transfer and nothing to freeze.  The second round, I was way more realistic!  I responded way differently, even on same protocol and dosages and was so sure I was going to end up with 4 total embryos an was just hoping there would be one to transfer... and, surprise!  I had 1 great one to transfer and 4 to freeze.  It is so easy to get ahead of ourselves :)  

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

#10 JacMac

JacMac
  • Cyclebase
  • 1937 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:RFP/Adoption By Choice

Posted 10 October 2014 - 05:40 PM

Our clinic is the same as TringForOurFirst. Two embryos on Day3 or one embryo on Day5. I think this is the industry standard for first time patients who are under 40. They are trying to limit multiples births, as well as increases chances of pregnancy sense.

Even though I think my losses were more attributable to my adrenal Tumor, we transferred two Day3 embryos and ended up pregnant with twins, which caused my severe OHSS and we ended up losing high babies. I think expecting twins definitely caused more stress than I needed.
  • cdgal1981 likes this
Me - now 36 Him - 37
Trying to conceive since our wedding day May 25, 2008.
Started Clomid Jan-April 2012.
Referred to RFP June 2012.
First consult at RFP November 2012.
First IVF cycle on antagonist protocol (GonalF, Luveris) January 2013.
Transferred two day-3 embryos, had severe OHSS, lost one twin between 7-13 weeks but was expecting one little one October 2013.
Found out at 6 mos that our little one had died weeks earlier and had to induce and deliver stillborn, July 25, 2013.
Something found on adrenal gland at follow up ultrasound, MRI showed what seems to be a benign tumor. Meeting with specialist Jan 8, 2014 - all fertility treatments on hold. :/
Tumour is definitely producing Aldosterone (causes high blood pressure) and Cortisol. Lucky me, only 34 similar cases recorded in the world! Tumour removed May 2014.
Approached about a possible adoption March 2014. Rush through all the paperwork and process.
Charlotte Evangeline born June 27, 2014. We brought her home on July 7 and held our breath for 10 days until she officially became ours.
Surprise BFP October 2014. Due to wonky cycles, ultrasounds convince Doctors I have a blighted ovum but detailed ultrasound reveals heartbeat at 6w3d. On progesterone support and waiting to see if pregnancy is still viable. Holding our breath again.
Adalyn Marie born on June 9, 2014 after a roller coaster pregnancy.

#11 cdgal1981

cdgal1981
  • Global 100+
  • 119 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:22 PM

Thanks ladies :-)

Me 33, DH 38

TTC for 3.5 years

IVF consult July 24/14

IVF #1

1 Frostie

FET#1

IVF#2

2 Frosties