Diet & Fitness Accountability Buddies - Yoga, Nutrition and Fitness for Fertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Diet & Fitness Accountability Buddies

• Please log in to reply
139 replies to this topic

#1 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Crochet/Knitting/Sewing, Vespas, Horror Movies, My Job, Camping, Music
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Foothills RFP

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:21 AM

Weight Loss?  Ha, I don't need no stinkin' weight loss.

Except I do.

I'm lucky enough that my weight doesn't seem to have affected my fertility issues, though who really knows.  Still getting my period regularly, responded well to IVF meds, good retrieval and fertilization, etc. etc. 

My husband and I have been trying to be more health conscious.  Though all that guy needs to do is just stop eating crap food and THINK about fitness and he drops 15 lbs.  His parents were just in town for 11 days, and during that time the exercise level was low, the emotional eating at a high.  But they have just left, so I feel ready to continue what he and I started before their arrival.

I realize I could be alone here on this, but was wondering if anyone else wanted to join a fitness accountability thread/group?  I see there is another one in this forum that was last updated 2 years ago, but maybe there is new interest?

Just throwing it out there. :)

• MamaHugs likes this

See Profile / About me page.

#2 juice

juice
  • Global 100+
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Getting pregnant!! Used to have others, can't remember lol.
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:10 AM

Yesss.... this is a great thread to start!! I did NO exercise for the first three months, and now I'm back at work and on my feet all day, but that doesn't count as exercise. When I get home I'm exhausted. A 'buddy' could get me motivated to at least go for a walk..

• JacMac likes this

me - 45.5, husband - 43.5

1 natural pregnancy but m/c in June 2011

7 failed IUIs, 3 medicated and 4 non-medicated, all BFN

I was a poor responder to the meds, only produced 1 viable egg so I'm not a candidate for IVF

Suffering  deeply, watching all my friends get pregnant and raise kids.

No one in my immediate circle of friends and family who has gone through this so forums are amazingly helpful.

Dec 2013 - have chosen a donor with San Diego Fertility Center and have begun the process. If all goes well we'll get me preggo in April 2014. IF all goes well... 

It DIDN'T go well - our donor failed her genetic testing. It took MORE exhausting searches 24/7 to find another we liked, and finally she's passed and good to go. IF all goes well we'll go down to SDFC mid-June 2014 for the egg transfer and get me pregnant..if all goes well...if... if... if... so many letdowns cannot allow me to be hopeful, just wait and see...

June 2014 Went to SDFC, everything went smoothly. Well, kind of...family stuff... but transfer went well

July 16 2014 did blood test...BFP th_abfp.gif Wow. First time, feeling a lot emotions and crying uncontrollably for last 48 hours.

Hoping it sticks. That's all for now.

Aug 11 first u/s - TWINS. omg....good size, good heartbeat. I'm terrified.

#3 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (and eating!), hiking, camping, exercise, reading, gardening.
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:RFP - Calgary

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

I am in.

I lost weight prior to IVF, but gained it all back.

I started back on weight watchers and am down 10 lbs so far. My biggest problem is that I am rather lazy and don't exercise unless there is someone watching me do it. Right now I am going to spin class once a week, but I really need to do something on at least a few of the other six days. We even have a treadmill. I have no excuse.

Today I am walking with some friends. It's a start.

If anyone has healthy recipes I would love a copy. I have some good ones that are weight loss friendly. They are good enough that I still ate them when I didn't need to lose weight.

I will post my turkey burger recipe later. It's my favorite and really easy to make.

#4 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts
  • Interests:Animals, Crochet/Knitting/Sewing, Vespas, Horror Movies, My Job, Camping, Music

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:23 AM

Juice, of course you're exhausted!  :)

So your goal is some daily low intensity exercise.  When do you intend to start and how often?

Myself, I've got to ensure I get back on a high vegetable content diet and 'run' (elliptical) every second day.  I have to option to swim before work as well, or in lieu of.

• juice likes this

#5 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (and eating!), hiking, camping, exercise, reading, gardening.

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:27 AM

Juice - do you swim? I swam a few times a week until they discovered my cervical issues. It really helped my back and hips to have the weight from the big belly gone for a bit.

#6 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:28 AM

Crazy, I'm totally lazy as well.  It's weird, when my husband chastises me for not working out, I get mad and don't want to do it to show that he's not the boss....but if he DOESN'T prompt me to do it, it's like I think I don't have to.  Odd.   Chalk it up to lazy and looking for any excuse NOT to do it.  Ha.

I'd love your recipe!

I haven't stepped on a scale since the in-laws arrived...but I suppose I'll do it tonight.  While I won't be divulging my weight, I am willing to share my current goal.  I'm trying to do them in small, easily measured and attainable chunks.

2014-09-29 GOAL: 10 lbs

Exercise every second day

Walk dog every day she doesn't look sore

Eat well

Drink more water

#7 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:37 AM

I lost 63 pounds before IVF. For me infertility was actually a great weight loss motivator. I didn't want our issues to be made worse by the fact I was over weight.

I will copy your exercise goals! I guess that means I need to do something today. Spin class is Wednesday.

I will post the turkey burger recipe shortly.

#8 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:43 AM

Wow!  63 lbs is nothing to sneeze at.  I have a lot more to lose than 10 lbs, but I worry I'll get overwhelmed when I don't see quick progress, you know?

• CdnHockeyGal likes this

#9 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:10 AM

I'm totally in..... okay, this is going to sound stupid, but how does it work?

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#10 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:17 AM

LOL, not entirely sure.  I could do up some sort of a list I suppose, and everyone update their progress like a cycle buddies thread?  I assume it's just basically having to fess up if you've faltered, or get some cheering when you've succeeded, have to update every couple days?  Someone feel free to correct me.

#11 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 10:44 AM

I know exactly what you mean Meary. When you think about how long it takes when you are losing at a healthy rate it can be overwhelming. I think it's good to have a long term goal so you have an end point, but then have short term goals within it. When I first set out to lose weight I came to the realization that it was never going to be easier to reach my goal than it was the day I started. If I didn't do something that day I was just going to be older and fatter the next day and if would be even harder. Maybe a little harsh on myself, but I needed to lose over 60lbs so I needed a bit of harsh.

Now I need to lose pretty much the same amount again. But that's okay. I don't regret a pound that I put on. I would like to fit in my skin clothes again though. Especially because I donated my fat clothes.

For those of us losing weight I think we should celebrate 5 lbs increments of weight loss and have 10 lbs as short term goals.

I will do the burgers in their own post.
  • CdnHockeyGal likes this

#12 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:00 AM

Hopefully you can read the recipe easily. I am using my phone so it might look funny.

Sundried Tomato Turkey Burgers
Makes 4 burgers

1 1\4 lbs ground turkey
1/4 cup crumbled goat cheese
1/4 cup chopped, drained oil packed sundried tomatoes
Salt and pepper to taste
Basil Aioli (recipe follows)
Lettuce, tomato, onion as desired to top burger
Whole wheat hamburger buns

Combine turkey, goat cheese, and sundried tomatoes. Form into 4 patties.

In a grill pan cook approx 8 minutes on each side until cooked through.

Basil Aioli
1/4 cup light mayo
2 tsp chopped fresh basil
1/4 tsp salt
1 garlic close, minced

Mix together in small bowl.

9 weight watchers points plus.
356 calories.
This varies with bun selection and toppings.
  • JacMac and Meary like this

#13 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:05 AM

I think sharing/celebrating when we have met a goal and supporting each other when we haven't is good. I would also love to hear about what works for people and get food and snack ideas. I am going out for my walk right away, but later I will tell you about the miracle that is PB2.

#14 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:16 AM

That recipe sounds divine!  And I already have a bunch of the ingredients.  Huzzah!

Uh, whassa PB2?

I too have a LOT more to lose than my short term goal, but I'm transferring in mid November, so I don't want to be too aggressive then.  Just try to be more aware and cautious after transfer.  Until then, off I go.

#15 sami99

sami99
  • Global 100+
  • 295 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 29 September 2014 - 12:55 PM

I'm in.  I want to lose about 20 lbs but right now I'd be happy to lose anything.  A couple of years ago I lost 15 lbs and maintained that for 1 1/2 years and then all of a sudden I gained it all back within a couple of months.  So annoying :(

THe older I get the more and more difficult it gets to lose anything - I could work really hard and eat properly and finally lose a pound after a couple of weeks and then just look at a piece of cake and gain 2 back lol!  

1993 - started ttc, Aug 97-1st IVF BFN, Nov 97 FET BFN,  Aug 98 - 2nd IVF BFN, Nov 98 FET BFN, 1999-2000 - several IUI's - all BFN's, 2002 - 3rd IVF BFN, FET BFN, 2004 - 4th IVF - cancelled for poor response, 5th IVF with known donor BFN

June 2006 - ***** BFP (naturally)******  2007 *****DS was born

2008 - TTC again, 2010- started peri-menopause, 2013 - full menopause , 2014 -exploring donor egg

Nov 2014 - transfer 2 5 day embryos  Dec 2014 - BFP ***** DS born*****

Sept 2017 - transfer 2 5 day embryos - BFP

#16 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 01:02 PM

Weight Loss

Crazy

ilovemydog

Meary

sami99

TryingForOur1stChild

Fitness

Juice

ETA: added ilovemydog to the list.

Edited by Meary, 29 September 2014 - 04:20 PM.

• ilovemydogs likes this

#17 ilovemydogs

ilovemydogs
  • Cyclebase
  • 4806 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:13 PM

I probably have a few months to wait until the next FET so I'm in. Could stand to lose a little bit, but not too quickly because we plan to try on our own till then. Have started back on the elliptical to get in shape, in addition to my daily dog walk. Now just have to try to portion control. Easier said than done with a wedding on the weekend and thanksgiving after that!
Finally seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

See "About Me" for details.

#18 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 04:17 PM

The burgers are good. I do them in the George Foreman and have them with sweet potato fries. When you get goat cheese be sure to compare nutritional info, there is a huge variation in fat content. Also, I don't recommend ground chicken for them. I tried it and the burgers were dry and bland.

I am a peanut butter fan. I love it on apples and bananas. I discovered a product called PB2. It is a dry powdered peanut butter that you add water to. I think someone was trying to come up with a use for what was left over when they make peanut oil. It has 85% less calories and fat than regular peanut butter. The ingredients are peanuts, sugar, and salt. No weird chemicals you can't pronounce. They have regular and one with chocolate. I like the regular on apples and the chocolate is so good on bananas. It's not so good on toast. The taste is okay but because it's water based and not oil based it makes the toast soggy.

I get it from a place called Low Carb Canada. They mostly do on line orders, but they do have a retail location in Calgary by the airport. It's made in the US and is probably easier to find there.

#19 juice

juice
  • Global 100+
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Getting pregnant!! Used to have others, can't remember lol.
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 29 September 2014 - 08:58 PM

Juice - do you swim? I swam a few times a week until they discovered my cervical issues. It really helped my back and hips to have the weight from the big belly gone for a bit.

No unfortunately I don't. I can swim but I'm not good at it and getting to a pool, changing, wet hair, etc would be a chore. I'll keep it in mind for later when I'm huge and might need the weightlessness :)

me - 45.5, husband - 43.5

1 natural pregnancy but m/c in June 2011

7 failed IUIs, 3 medicated and 4 non-medicated, all BFN

I was a poor responder to the meds, only produced 1 viable egg so I'm not a candidate for IVF

Suffering  deeply, watching all my friends get pregnant and raise kids.

No one in my immediate circle of friends and family who has gone through this so forums are amazingly helpful.

Dec 2013 - have chosen a donor with San Diego Fertility Center and have begun the process. If all goes well we'll get me preggo in April 2014. IF all goes well... 

It DIDN'T go well - our donor failed her genetic testing. It took MORE exhausting searches 24/7 to find another we liked, and finally she's passed and good to go. IF all goes well we'll go down to SDFC mid-June 2014 for the egg transfer and get me pregnant..if all goes well...if... if... if... so many letdowns cannot allow me to be hopeful, just wait and see...

June 2014 Went to SDFC, everything went smoothly. Well, kind of...family stuff... but transfer went well

July 16 2014 did blood test...BFP th_abfp.gif Wow. First time, feeling a lot emotions and crying uncontrollably for last 48 hours.

Hoping it sticks. That's all for now.

Aug 11 first u/s - TWINS. omg....good size, good heartbeat. I'm terrified.

#20 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts

Posted 29 September 2014 - 09:05 PM

Having the weight of the twin belly off your body is great. Most pools also have an area that is shallow enough to walk laps rather than swim them. Right before I wasn't allowed to be submerged in water anymore I would sometimes just go and float around with a pool noodle.

#21 JacMac

JacMac
  • Cyclebase
  • 1937 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:RFP/Adoption By Choice

Posted 29 September 2014 - 11:16 PM

I'm in. I need to lose weight and get in shape.
Me - now 36 Him - 37
Trying to conceive since our wedding day May 25, 2008.
Started Clomid Jan-April 2012.
Referred to RFP June 2012.
First consult at RFP November 2012.
First IVF cycle on antagonist protocol (GonalF, Luveris) January 2013.
Transferred two day-3 embryos, had severe OHSS, lost one twin between 7-13 weeks but was expecting one little one October 2013.
Found out at 6 mos that our little one had died weeks earlier and had to induce and deliver stillborn, July 25, 2013.
Something found on adrenal gland at follow up ultrasound, MRI showed what seems to be a benign tumor. Meeting with specialist Jan 8, 2014 - all fertility treatments on hold. :/
Tumour is definitely producing Aldosterone (causes high blood pressure) and Cortisol. Lucky me, only 34 similar cases recorded in the world! Tumour removed May 2014.
Approached about a possible adoption March 2014. Rush through all the paperwork and process.
Charlotte Evangeline born June 27, 2014. We brought her home on July 7 and held our breath for 10 days until she officially became ours.
Surprise BFP October 2014. Due to wonky cycles, ultrasounds convince Doctors I have a blighted ovum but detailed ultrasound reveals heartbeat at 6w3d. On progesterone support and waiting to see if pregnancy is still viable. Holding our breath again.
Adalyn Marie born on June 9, 2014 after a roller coaster pregnancy.

#22 MamaHugs

MamaHugs
  • Global 100+
  • 829 posts
  • My Clinic:Foothills - RFP

Posted 30 September 2014 - 12:35 AM

Count me in too.  I've always had a weight battle. I need to lose about 60 lbs at this point.  My clinic (as some of you who are at the same one may know) has never really said anything about weight when it's come to cycling.  I know I would feel better doing my transfer though if I was about 10-20 lbs lighter. Right now I am the heaviest I've ever been ... almost as heavy as the day I went in to have both my kids. :(

I joined a gym back in June but with a crazy busy summer, I only ever made it about once a week.  I've sort of got back on track in the past couple of weeks and hubby and I have talked about incorporating more healthy and getting rid of junk (he likes his chips, I like my chocolate!) It's not only for us but for our kids too.  So ya, I still don't really know when I'll be doing a transfer but in the mean time I plan to lose a bit ... not too much to jeopardize anything, but enough to feel like I have a healthier home for embys to grow in! :) 

me - 33, dh - 34

dx - Premature Ovarian Failure

IVF #1 w/DE

Miracle DD born Feb 2009

10 frosties

FET#1

Miracle DD #2 born Aug 2010

8 frosties left

FET#2

It's another girl born Aug 2015

6 frosties left ... but I think we're done ...

#23 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:33 AM

LIST UPDATE

Weight Loss

Crazy

ilovemydog

JacMac

MamaHugs

Meary

sami99

TryingForOur1stChild

Fitness

Juice

• MamaHugs likes this

#24 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:40 AM

I probably have a few months to wait until the next FET so I'm in.

My FET is in going to be in mid-November.  My hope is to drop a couple pounds and at least establish a good routine again.  One thing I'm terrible at is justifying a bad meal by skipping other meals.  Last I heard it was terrible for the metabolism ;).

I discovered a product called PB2. It is a dry powdered peanut butter that you add water to.

I'm not going to lie.  That sounds terrifying.  But I'm usually game to try new odd things.  Next time I'm out that way I may have to check it out. 

I'm in. I need to lose weight and get in shape.

Added to the list, under weight loss.  If you'd prefer to be added to fitness as your main goal, just update or let me know.

Count me in too.  I've always had a weight battle. I need to lose about 60 lbs at this point.  My clinic (as some of you who are at the same one may know) has never really said anything about weight when it's come to cycling.  I know I would feel better doing my transfer though if I was about 10-20 lbs lighter. Right now I am the heaviest I've ever been ... almost as heavy as the day I went in to have both my kids.

RFP has never said anything about it to me either.  I'm also the heaviest I've ever been too.  Welcome!

#25 Meary

Meary
  • 1000+
  • 1156 posts

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:42 AM

Soooooo, last night is already a bust!  lol. 

Walked the dog at least, so there's that.  My husband and I decided that since it was the first night without his parents there in awhile, we'd get caught up on the PVR'ed shows we haven't had time to watch....and eat the leftover turkey (hot turkey sandwiches).  Ha!  At least I was fairly sensible yesterday until that point.

Tonight after work it's elliptical for sure.  Also, arugula salad.

Ha, also I forgot to weight myself for a baseline.  Well done me!  This afternoon it is.