Progesterone after IUI question

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Jojoma

Jojoma
  • 26 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 13 September 2014 - 09:45 AM

I had an IUI (that was supposed to be an IVF but after injections I produced only one good follicle and it was converted to an IUI).  I am still waiting to see if it was successful but I went in for acupuncture today with a new person (who also had a medical degree and the acupuncture is next to the Shady Grove fertility clinic) and she told me that she is really suprised they didn't have me use progesterone inserts after the IUI.  She says it's a good way to build the lining and that it is something that is done on a routine basis at Shady Grove after IVF and IUI (unless it's a natural cycle with  no injections). 

They did give me a bottle of vaginal progesterone pills in my med shipment but they did not tell me to use them. I asked if I needed to use the other meds early on and they just directed me to use the injections.  The acupuncturist told me that I can take the inserts and that it won't hurt.  I can't call the clinic this weekend (no nurses on call) and must wait until Monday.  This is my last shot and I know I am late in the game here.

Did anyone else have this experience?  Did you have an IUI or IVF (with injections) and no progesterone pill?  Any thoughts on this? 

I feel like my clinic might have just dropped the ball and I'm upset. 

#2 Frannie2012

Frannie2012
  • Global 100+
  • 269 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 13 September 2014 - 10:31 AM

I had 3IUI's with clomid and was still given progesterone suppositories during the 2ww. I was also given them for my IVF cycle.

Perhaps they found you had good progesterone levels when monitoring you? I would perhaps call the clinic and clarify.

Me: 33

DH: 35

TTC since Sept. 2011

Aug. 2012 - DX with PCOS (started metformin)

Aug. 2012 - Oct 2012 - clomid + trigger , timed X2 - BFN

Oct 2012-Jan 2013 - clomid + trigger IUI X3 - BFN

Took a break until the spring to begin IVF -

June 1 - Started BCPs

June 24 - Start stimming....75iu meopur, 75iu puregon

June 27- (moved up to 100iu of puregon)

June 29 (moved up to 150 iu of puregon)

July 1 - scan...6-10 follicles expected on ER day

July 3 - last day of stimming, HCG trigger

July 5 - ER.....8 Retrived, 5 mature, 5 fertilized

July 7 - 5 embryos

July 8 - ET (2, grade 1 embryos transferred), 3 embryos to be frozen (1 - grade 1, 2 - grade 2)

July 22 - BFP!!! 

July 24 - Beta repeated - numbers doubling....fingers crossed for a healthy pregnancy!!

#3 Hopingfor1

Hopingfor1
  • Global 100+
  • 312 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 13 September 2014 - 01:13 PM

I did IUIs both with clomid and injectables and each time I used progesterone suppositories afterwards.

Me: 40  = High FSH (ranges from 8 - 15), Low AMH (2.7), Low AFC = DOR

DH: 43 = borderline sperm analysis

Started TTC#1 January 2010

2011 - 2012 - First fertility clinic, lots of testing, operative hysteroscopy to remove polyps, multiple unsuccessful IUIs, 1 IVF (150 Menopur/150 Gonal F) converted to IUI due to poor response

2012 - got second opinion and after AMH results came back, advised at 36 I had a less than 5% chance of conceiving via IVF.  Donor eggs strongly recommended but not yet ready for that (I should say - hubby not ready for that.  I was ready for donor eggs - I just wanted to be a Mom).  Decided clinic wasn't for us and back to clinic #1

2013 - IVF #1 (after 1st converted to IUI).  Estrogen Priming protocol - start Climara patch 7 days post ovulation and change every other day.  3 orgalutran injections beginning day after first Climara patch applied.  Start stims day 2 triggered on night 15 of stims = 3 eggs retrieved, 0 fertilized via ICSI = no transfer  (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

2013 - Switch clinics

Office hysteroscopy = all clear

IVF #2 (37 years old) June 2013 - Estrace priming protocol.  4 mg estrace started 7 days post ovulation.  Start stims Day 3 (300 Gonal F/150 Menopur & Orgalutran)

Slow response as usual

Triggered on night 12 of stims (given the option to cancel as it looked like we'd get 3 eggs - knew we wouldn't do any better so continued).

ER:  6 eggs, but advised some were small and would be immature

Fert report:  5 of 6 eggs immature.  2 fertilized via ICSI (including one of the immature eggs)

ET:  Transferred our only 2 embryos - a 5 cell and an 8 cell

11dp3dt = BFP - HCG = 65

16dp3dt = HCG 1,305 (cautiously pregnant)

7 week ultrasound = 1 baby HB = 141

12 weeks ultrasound NT scan = NT = 1.7mm all looks good.  Combined with blood work risk is 1/1,400

Got Harmony blood test results back (done for peace of mind) - all clear and we're having a GIRL!

EDD = March 2014 (cautiously looking forward to that date)

However - baby had plans to arrive early. After PPROM and managing to cook the little one a bit longer, our bundle of joy arrived at 33 weeks.  After a 3 week NICU stay, she is finally home.  We are totally in love and forever thankful for our little miracle baby - Ashley Nicole.

#4 Jojoma

Jojoma
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:14 PM

How much progesterone did you take?

#5 mirka

mirka
  • Global 100+
  • 128 posts
  • My Clinic:Markham Fertility Centre

Posted 13 September 2014 - 02:47 PM

Jojoma - I also took progesterone pills after IUI and IVF. They were capsules of 100 mg. I inserted 2 capsules vaginally at bedtime after the IUI. For IVF I did the same and also 2 capsules inserted in the morning.

From what I've read, I don't think it would hurt to take it. I heard the nurses giving the same instructions to everybody, like a routine thing.

Don't worry too much. Even if you wait till Monday to ask the clinic, it's probably not a big deal to miss the first 2 days.

Did you take your temperature in the morning? If you've been doing that in the past and you know your temperature after ovulation, it should be at that level. If your temperature has raised as expected, it is a good indication for your progesterone level. When you start taking the pills, they will cause your temperature to raise. It's probably already up.

Me: 40 41 42; Partner: 44 45

IUI #1:  May, 2014, Clomd, Fresh, BFN

IUI #2: June, 2014, Gonal F, Frozen, BFN

IVF#1: July, 2014, Fresh, Estrogen priming, IFV & Rescue ICSI - 3 eggs fertilized naturally and 8 immature eggs matured in lab and fertilized with ICSI. The plan was to freeze the embryos on day 7, but none of them made it. Nothing to transfer.

IVF#2: Down regulation protocol. Will not take BCP to avoid higher dose medications.

Sep 3: Start Suprefact

Sep 27: ER 6 eggs, 4 mature and injected, 2 fertilized

Sep 30: ET 1 8-cell and 1 10-cell transferred, both grade 1

Oct 9:    Beta#1: 5 - BFN

Oct 14:  Beta#2: 0 - Chemical or BFN, not clear

IFV#3: No suppression, no BCP; 150 Gonal F and 150 Menopur

Nov 15: Start stimulation

Nov 26: ER 10 eggs, 10 mature and injected, 8 fertilized, 6 blasts, freeze all

Natural Pregnancy

Jan, 2015: BFP

Mar 2015: Miscarriage at ~8weeks, baby stopped developing at 6w1d

FET#3.1: May, 2015, Natural cycle, 2 5AA embryos, BFN

IVF#4: Jun 2015, ER 8 eggs, 4 fertilized, 1 PGS tested and frozen - abnormal

IFV#5 + FET#3.2: Combination of IVF and FET from ivf#3, 7 eggs, 1 euploid

FET resulted in BFN

FET#5.1: Oct 2015, 1 PGS day 5 perfect blast, 6dp5dt - implantation bleeding, 7dp5dt BFP, Chemical

IUI#X: Nov 2015, Gonal F, frozen, 2-3 follicles, BFN

#6 Jojoma

Jojoma
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 01:15 PM

Thank you for your replies.  It's incredibly helpful.  I'm angry because I think they simply forgot to tell me to take the progesterone.  Based on my age (almost 43) and my labs, I think I should be on them without a doubt.  My insemination was 10 days ago.  It's so late in the game and they don't take calls over the weekend.  I am using the sups now hoping that it makes some difference and I will call on Monday.

#7 mirika

mirika
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 04:52 AM

Dear ladies,

I'm new to this forum. First, I apologize for any mistake, as  English is not my mother tongue. I live in Hungary.

My story: I'll be 39 in November. We've been trying for more then 6 months. On 1. September I had my 1st IUI. I have spent the last 6 years of my life in dispair as I spot 3-4 days before my AF. I checked the progesterone levels (7 dpo) and they came back normal. Once I used progesterone suppositories and did not spot. The first month I used clomid, neither. But that month I ended up with the cyst, so I suppose it prevented from spotting.

For IUI, I was on clomid (3-7 days) and was put on progesterone 1 dpo, 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg in the evening. And started spotting on 23rd day (as usual).

I am devastated. Did you have any similar experience?

#8 Jojoma

Jojoma
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:10 AM

Just to update everyone, I got an email back from the nurse assigned to me and she said that "The physicians here do not recommend progesterone in the luteal phase unless indicated" .  I asked her for more information about what that means exactly and whether my progesterone levels are fine and she told me that I need to make an appointment with my physician to talk about this.  An appointment with my physician takes about a month to schedule.  So, I'm back to the drawing board waiting and i am also amazed that they can be so dismissive and rude. 

Based on my research, I will keep taking some progesterone unless I can get further clarification from her.  I have yet to find a woman almost 43 who jut got off of a heavyily medicated cycle who has NOT been told to take progesterone.  My trust for the clinic is basically in the toilet. 

#9 Jojoma

Jojoma
  • 26 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 11:35 AM

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/23876537

It seems that progesterone after a simple IUI may not be at all helpful but it may well make a difference after one with injections.  That's how I read this study anyway.

#10 mirika

mirika
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 09:50 AM

Thanks, Jojoma.

I read the same as you do.

My dr. said will try with hcg injection next cycle and it should give triple support.

However, I'm concerned (or better to say I have been concerned for 6 years). Is there any chronic spotter TTC?

#11 Jojoma

Jojoma
  • 26 posts

Posted 16 September 2014 - 06:36 PM

I am bleeding.  It's something between spotting and a period.  That's it, right?  I will take a pregnancy test in a couple days anyway but I think it's over.