• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 rija1973

rija1973
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

hi this is my first time here sorry if i am going on too long. never thought i would find myself here.  am so upset and i feel misled. 

My story:

i am 40 first cylcle of ivf i flew all the way from uk to get ivf done at a ny clinic for the sole purpose of having boys as my husband really really wants one with 2 grown girls. it is illegal to do pgd in europe.  We havent been able to get pregnant for 3 years parner is 50.  i assumed it timing due to his frequent travel and prob his sperm count that was issue though we never tried that hard.  I went through all the tests, doc said i have good number of follicles each side, and that my only issue was my thyroid levels were off so they put me on 100mg of levothyroxine (sp)which brought them to good levels.  When we got here a few weeks ago for his test partner low count progression motility so they were going to do icsi. They started me on 2 vials of menopur in evening and 300 iu of gonal f. after about 5 days they upped the menopur to 3 vials a day. about this time i started to get bit suspicious as they said they could only see a couple of follicles on right side and left was being sleepy.  then the last 5 days did ganirelex as well before till they triggered me with ovidril. before trigger shot i stimmed for a total of 11 days.

Day for retrieval they wake me up and say they got 3 eggs from 5 other 2 were empty. i was in shock.  i knew there was a problem when they called that night to say all 3 eggs were abnormal and ivf was done. Doc wasn't surprised because of my low amh level. He also made a comment at this time that he thought getting a couple good eggs out of me was going to be a challenge but to hope for a boy was a bit of a stretch - again totally shocked and gutted!! i was totally taken aback bec at no point did anyone mention this to me and that i had issues esp as 3 months before he said he saw good number of follicles.

so now he wants to try the microflare protocol and i saw another doc do a case study stimming with ganirelex and lupon and triggereing with big dose of HCG.  I was wondering how many other gals in my position 1st cycle had these drugs and what drugs they did 2nd cycle. 

have to now fly back to the uk friday. totally depressed and find another 3 weeks to come back for another round in the next couple of months.

anyone have any advice as i now feel like i hae no eggs and running out of time.  thanks guys x

#2 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 04 August 2014 - 12:55 PM

I am so sorry that your cycle was unsuccessful.  I can't speak to your clinic or the medications but, often, with IVF, the first cycle is a learning experience.  You can't really know how you will respond to the medications before it begins.  My first cycle, on trigger day, I was told to expect about 16 eggs and they got 8.  A friend of mine has over 60 antral follicles but, last time, with 17 retrieved, only 5 were mature and 1 fertilized.  It is not an exact science and can seem like a crapshoot at times.  

It sounds like they want to adjust your protocol based on your results so they have, hopefully, learned for how you responded.

Again, so sorry that the cycle did not turn out how you wanted.  I hope that someone else can comment on the drugs / protocol.

Best of luck in whatever is next in your journey.

• Crazy likes this

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#3 Tabatha

Tabatha
  • Global 100+
  • 257 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 04 August 2014 - 01:11 PM

Hello;

I am so sorry for your disappointing cycle.  I am currently in my first cycle, so have no words of wisdom to share, however, I thought you might want to check out the information on Dr. Sher's website (haveababy.com).  He has some good posts on IVF for women who don't respond well to stims.  You can e-mail him with your story on his "open forum" section and see what he says about the meds you were given.

Best of luck,

T

ICSI #1 (freeze-all with PGS) - Sept. 2014

-28 eggs retrieved; 17 mature; 15 fertilized; 7 blastocysts sent for PGS

-PGS results = 2 normals, 2 'no signal', 3 abnormals

FET #1 (one euploid embryo) - Oct. 10, 2014 

Low Positive.  Turned out to be an Interstitial Ectopic Pregnancy.  Methotrexate administered at 7 weeks.

FET #2 (one euploid and one 'no signal') - Feb. 3, 2015

BFP!

Beta #1 at 9dp6dt = 361 thumbup.gif

Beta #2 at 11dp6dt = 1117

Viability Ultrasound March 5 = TWINS!  Both babies measuring on track with heart beats of 141 bpm.

First Trimester Screening April 6 = both babies measuring ahead, heart beats of 165 bpm and no genetic issues.  This crazy sh*t is getting real! :)

#4 rija1973

rija1973
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:30 PM

thank you both for taking the time toanswer :-) good luck to you too. amp77 you had amazing results second cycle what were you on?

#5 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:38 PM

I am on a trial and I am not allowed to say what I am on but both rounds were the same medications.  Second one, I responded more slowly so they increased my dose twice.  But, there are things that I did that I think helped.  It takes eggs about 90 days to develop so if you do supplements, it takes about 3 months worth to take effect.  So, for my second round, I had been taking supplements around 90 days, which was not the case for the first round.  I also did acupuncture the second round.  

So, differences:

1.  stims increased when I was responding slowly

2.  acupuncture for about 2 months including right before and right after embryo transfer

3.  CoQ10, Royal Jelly, Melatonin, Vitamin D, Omega-3, Pre-Natals for 90 days prior

I hope that helps :)

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#6 rija1973

rija1973
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 02:50 PM

thanks i have been reading lots about the coq and the dhea and am on the case there! thanks again

#7 sami99

sami99
  • Global 100+
  • 295 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 10:17 PM

hi rija - I'm sorry about your unsuccessful cycle.  I hope things turn around for you the next time around.

1993 - started ttc, Aug 97-1st IVF BFN, Nov 97 FET BFN,  Aug 98 - 2nd IVF BFN, Nov 98 FET BFN, 1999-2000 - several IUI's - all BFN's, 2002 - 3rd IVF BFN, FET BFN, 2004 - 4th IVF - cancelled for poor response, 5th IVF with known donor BFN

June 2006 - ***** BFP (naturally)******  2007 *****DS was born

2008 - TTC again, 2010- started peri-menopause, 2013 - full menopause , 2014 -exploring donor egg

Nov 2014 - transfer 2 5 day embryos  Dec 2014 - BFP ***** DS born*****

Sept 2017 - transfer 2 5 day embryos - BFP

#8 rollergirl

rollergirl

Cougar Alert....loves boy toys...the younger the better!!

• 1000+
  • 1884 posts
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 04 August 2014 - 11:07 PM

Sorry to hear that you have gone through this.....and if you go through this all again and have a healthy embryo and it is a girl ...have you decided what you will do at that time? This might sound crass but that might be something you might face.....

I wish you all of the best and get your outcome you want.

• kerrilyn, Adventure, Crazy and 3 others like this
Me-72 DH-26 It is what it is...