Can Vitex and DHEA be taken together? - Ask the Naturopathic Physician - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Can Vitex and DHEA be taken together?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 RFree83

RFree83
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:LHSC

Posted 22 July 2014 - 08:11 PM

I have an elevated fsh and just recently came off of a failed IVF cycle due to poor egg/embryo quality. I was given a supplement list to start before the next IVF but I can help being preoccupied by the FSH number.

I'm currently taking 75mg DHEA. Will that help to
Lower my FSH? Should Or can I add Vitex which is supposed to lower it or will both supplements work against each other?

#2 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:36 PM

Hi Rf, 

Yes, you can take them together.  Vitex doesn't really lower FSH however, it is more likely to lower prolactin.  It can also act on the hypothalamic-pituitary axis.  In some cases it may effect LH but this is a very individual phenomenon and is open to debate. 

DHEA may lower your FSH, but in some cases it may not.  If you have high LH or high DHEA, it may not be a beneficial product to use.   If you are deficient in androgens, there is growing evidence that it may improve egg quality for some people, and it takes around 3 months to start working. 

I hope that this answer was useful for you!

Dr. Fiona

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#3 Heh Irish.

Heh Irish.
  • 50 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:TRIO

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:51 PM

I've a similar question, can Vitex be taken with Levothyroxine? I'm only on .025mg.

1 natural miracle boy, 2013;

AMH 0.0 but still cycle normally with a BFC 5-7;

TTC since 2016;

2 IUIs 2016;

Failed IVF September 2017 Single Embyro Expired on Day 3;

Medicated cycles on and off since June 2016.

Stopped all injectables and PG December 2018; 

2019 continued with Femara  until Donor path was defined. 

***June 22 transferred Grade3AC embryo (from Frozen DE); July 02 Beta 1 - BFP HCG 331 / July 04 Beta 2 - BFP HCG 960;

July 24 7 week US - Viability scan perfect; Aug 06 9 week US - Baby has no heart beat - measured 9 weeks and 2 days, D        and C; Chromosome and genetic screening clear. 

***Our 6 day 6BB Frostie - Transferred November. BFP - COVID Baby boy born July 2020***

***March 2021 - On the quest for baby number 3 - using DE***