• 110 posts
  • Interests:Great TV Shows
    Love Food
    Hanging with family and close friends
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Procrea

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:27 PM

Hi Ladies,

Would love to get your thoughts and experiences on this: Did you do a single or double embryo transfer (was it day 3 or 5) and was it successful?  And at what age. 

At 39 - I am wondering if it's better to transfer two eggs to increase chances of success. This is my first IVF cycle. Our eggs are going to be genetically tested? Am I just as likely to be successful with a single transfer.

Thanks so much! 

Ggirl

#2 smurfette_w

smurfette_w
  • Cyclebase
  • 2457 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:13 AM

You may want to check this out: https://ivf.ca/forums/page/cyclebase

I think if you are getting genetic testing done, your chances are much much better because you eliminate the ones that are chromosomally abnormal and would have likely resulted in miscarriage.  Your doctor should have already given you a recommendation, what did he/she say?

Me: genetic issues
DH: genetic issues, MFI

TTC since Summer 2009

See my profile for details

#3 cheers

cheers
  • Global 100+
  • 498 posts

Posted 20 July 2014 - 06:24 AM

I can tell you my experience:  35 years old, transferred two day 5 embryos.  We have twins from this cycle.

What did your doctor recommend?  I would think that if the embryos are being genetically tested then the chances of success must be greater.  

A couple of things to consider: how do you, and your partner, feel about having twins (emotionally, financially, do you have a support network…)?  How do you feel about having a twin pregnancy (can carry more risks)?  I know its hard to come up with an opinion if you've never been faced with this situation but its important to consider all angles just in case.

Best wishes and please let us know what you decide!

#4 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (and eating!), hiking, camping, exercise, reading, gardening.
  • My Clinic:RFP - Calgary

Posted 20 July 2014 - 09:21 AM

At 39 we transferred 2 5 day embryos and I am now a mom of twins.
I think a good rule of thumb is to never transfer more embryos than you can handle babies. This can change with subsequent cycles and embryo quality.

Because you are doing genetic testing the odds of transferring 2 successful embryos is much higher. I think you will have a better idea of what is right when you know the results and see how the embryos grow.

#5 BOOM

BOOM
  • Global 100+
  • 686 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility

Posted 20 July 2014 - 01:39 PM

I agree with all the above posts, never transfer more than u can handle.... I think ur chances are much higher with the testing being done. I curious with u ladies who had twins, any idea of the grading of ur 2 days 5 embryos?? It's so exciting to hear success stories!

#6 cheers

cheers
  • Global 100+
  • 498 posts

Posted 21 July 2014 - 05:41 AM

I don't remember the quality but I know they were hatching.  The embryologist seemed very happy so I'm thinking they were considered high quality.  We did not do any genetic testing on the embryos.

• BOOM likes this

#7 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts
  • Interests:Cooking (and eating!), hiking, camping, exercise, reading, gardening.

Posted 21 July 2014 - 09:35 AM

Like Cheers, I am not sure of the grading but the embryologist said they were text book perfect.
  • BOOM likes this

#8 BOOM

BOOM
  • Global 100+
  • 686 posts
  • My Clinic:Regional Fertility

Posted 21 July 2014 - 12:53 PM

Awesome! Thanks crazy n cheers!!! Keeps me hopeful ❤️
  • Crazy likes this

#9 mrs.me23

mrs.me23
  • Global 100+
  • 960 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:One

Posted 21 July 2014 - 08:25 PM

I concur with great great advice above!

At 40, we transferred two day fives, and we now have one year old twins. With our history, we never thought this would happen.... Goes to show you just never know what's going to happen with each cycle!!!
They are a dream come true, and more work than I ever could have imagined:) Great support is mandatory for survival!!!
Wishing you so much luck making this tough decision, and on your cycle. Fx for you.

IUI with clomid-spring 2011-BFN IUI #2 with clomid BFN IVF#1 July 2011- Short Protocol OHSS prevents transfer30 eggs retrieved resulting in 10 d5 blasts FET#1- January 2012 BFN  FET #2- Feb 2012...fingers crossed.Feb 8-1 blast transferred!Feb 20- BFP!!!! For The first time EVER!!!!1st BETA-2932nd BETA-734.... hoping and praying...Mar 6-first ultrasound- no evidence of fetal pole...probable blighted ovum...so sad.Mar 13-second u/s- blighted ovum confirmed. March- M/C  FET#3- June 2012...fingers crossed so tightly....BFN  FET#4- July 2012... First Double Transfer...with endometrial biopsy (YIKES!)BFN:(chemical pregnancy:( FET#5- August 2012...with shg and acupunctureBFN FET#6- September 2012...with endometrial biopsy (YEOOWCH!!!)BFN:( IVF#2- Late September 2012-long protocol...Oct 30- ER: 22 eggs retrieved, 15 matureNov 4-double blast transfer Hospitalized with OHSS- BFP!!!??

It's twins!!!!....a totally unexpected miracle.... 

Jan 8-SCH detected on NT u/s...praying twins will stay safe.

"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would give my life for you. This is the miracle of love. ~ Maureen Hawkins""Chin up, knees apart..."

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#10 MrsBR

MrsBR
  • Global 100+
  • 570 posts
  • Dx:Vasectomy
  • My Clinic:MFC/OVO

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:51 AM

I agree that transfer what you can handle. I've heard of people who transfer 2 then do a reduction once they found out it was twins. That makes me angry...
  • YellowBee and Crazy like this
1 year...6 fresh ivf's...so many failed attempts...we finally got a BFP on Nov 27, 2014. What finally worked: co culture, G - CSF, IVIG, prednisone .Nov 27 Beta 112 Nov 29 Beta 291 Dec 16 Saw 2 flickering heartbeats on ultrasound!!!! (from a single blastocyst transfer)Looking like identical twins for us...wowDec 22 control u/s to make sure the babies are growing. Only 1 H/B found. 1 twin didn't make it. Just 1 baby for us. Jan 23 NT scan and blood work came back all normal! As per our amazing technician...70% chance it's a girl!Mar 18th 20 week anatomy scan shows a perfectly healthy baby girl!
Madison arrives on July 17 2015 at 37 weeks 2 days! 10 fingers and 10 toes...perfect in every way.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#11 ideagirl

ideagirl
  • Global 100+
  • 261 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:CCRM (Denver, CO)

Posted 22 July 2014 - 11:16 AM

If they're going to be genetically tested blastocysts (day-5 embryos), then transferring one makes sense. At your age, the chances of two day 3's or two untested day 5's working are extremely small.

#12 vball_gal

vball_gal
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts
  • My Clinic:RFP (Calgary)

Posted 22 July 2014 - 10:49 PM

Always transfer no more than you are willing to handle because there is always a chance all of them could take.   It's like the lottery imo, though with some genetic testing that will help.

I did 2 fresh cycles transferring one each time (day 5) and failed each time.   First FET with 2 embryos (day 5) and twins, so go figure lol.   I wouldn't change a thing but it was a difficult pregnancy and the first 4 months or so are pretty tough being so sleep deprived.

See my about page for more information...

#13 snowmom

snowmom

Raving Lunatic

• Cyclebase
  • 2067 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 24 July 2014 - 04:56 PM

I have always transferred two. My first was two day fives, and I had twins. Fet was a nope since the one frostie didn't survive the thaw. Next ivf was canceled due to poor response. Next ivf transferred two, a day two and a day one. Bfp, that ended up a blighted ovum and medical miscarriage. Last ivf transferred two day three and bfp is sleeping upstairs in his crib. Ask yourself if you can handle twins. If you can't, then transfer one. But know that there are women on here who transferred one, and still got twins. It happens
Me 40: Total tubal blockage, 1 ovary, DOR DH 35: Poor motilityTTC since 1998DS natural conception 1996DS&DD ivf icsi 2008DS ivf icsi 2013.Our family is complete.Donated four frosties. IP's got bfp!

#14 MEW

MEW
  • Global 100+
  • 252 posts
  • Interests:Weight lifting, Ultimate frisbee, gardening, water:)
  • My Clinic:Karma

Posted 24 July 2014 - 05:58 PM

Good topic - my husband and I have done three FETs 1) I miscarried 2) just didn't work 3) Chemical.  All of our blast we are told "very good".  We have 4 left and I can't do 4 more sFET's and stay sane:( So DH and I are seriously considering 2 5-day blasts.  I will be 39 by the time we do the FET again. We are in a good finical space and our support system is further away then ideal but I think we can handle it - well at least thats how I feel right now ;) LOL! That could change tomorrow.

Good luck GGirl:)

Me:39 38   DH:38 37 

TTC - since sept 2011

Sept 2013 -First round of Ivf

No surpression

Starting GonalF 3rd day of AF

August 24 - started GonalF 300ui, Bravelle 75iu U/S and blood work 

August 28- started Cetrotide - 0.25mg

Sept 4 - ER - 18 eggs

Sept 9 - Transfer cancelled due to mild OHSS

Freeze all 7 embies! 

Oct 14 - Natural cycle - Finally AF arrives. 

Oct 16 - Base line u/s and blood work

Oct 28 - switched to medicated cycle

Nov 3-CD21 Lupron shot

Dec 7 ET! Transfer one excellent Blast.

Dec 21 - bata  ! 1551

Jan 5 -miscarriage  at 6wks 6d

Next FET

Feb 27 - Lupron shot

March 9 - AF arrives  - start estrace

March 20 - lining check

March 28 - estimated ET

April 11 - BFN

May 9 - transfer with assisted hatching …doing a "natural" cycle. 

Chemical.

Sept 16 - Transfer with assisted hatching, 2 "Excellent" blasts.  

Sept 30 - Beta - 1150:)

Oct 2- Beta -2984:)

Oct 14, 2014 - one bean measuring 6wk6d heart rate 124 smile.png

Terrible morning sickness - acupuncture=bearable morning sickness:)

Nov 25 next U/S

Due date - June 3 GIRL!! Team pink! Who would have thought:)babygirl.gif HeartGlomp.gif

CybAm5.png

#15 ggirl

ggirl
  • Global 100+
  • 110 posts
    Love Food

Posted 25 July 2014 - 11:49 AM

Hi MEW,

That's great that you got 18 eggs retrieved. That's a dream if we manage close to that. I know when women are in late 30's like myself that we don't always make so many eggs to that's fantastic. 

I will see how things go with our cycle. Trying to be cautiously optimistic.

GGirl

#16 Mom2BNot2L8

Mom2BNot2L8
  • 37 posts
  • My Clinic:NAHAL / VRC

Posted 25 July 2014 - 01:54 PM

Age is definitely a factor among others. I just had my transfer of 4 day 5 embryos this morning. This is our first ivf that resulted in day 5 embryos and we're shocked. I had 5 eggs retrieved. The likelihood of all 4 embryos resulting in a live birth is still so very low. I had 3 day 3 embryos transferred the last time. We will be lucky if one of our 4 today implants.
All your own variables have to be factored in when making this decision. It still isn't always an easy decision.

Me: 45  DH: 50    TTC for years

Me: DOR, Hypothyroid, Endometriosis, Crohn's, celiac, immune issues, rhesus disease, heart shaped uterus

DH: Vasectomy Reversal x 2 + testicular cancer

IVF # 1 Nov. 2011

Nov. 12, 2011 - 9 eggs retrieved, 7 mature, ended up with 2 embryos; DH had PESA

Nov. 15, 2011 - Day 3 transfer: 2 embryos (7 cell Grade 4; 8 cell Grade 4A), none for freezing

Nov. 25, 2011 - th_abfn.gificon_cry.gif switched RE and clinic

IVF # 2 Aug. 2013

Aug. 20 - 5 eggs retrieved, only 4 mature and ICSI'd after PESA for DH

Aug. 23 - Day 3 transfer of 3 embryos (4cellG1, 4cellG1 and 4cellG3), none for freezing

Sept. 7 - 15dp3dt th_abfp.gif Beta = 465

Oct. 11 - 9w3d missed miscarriage zjujfjf.gif8388.gif  

Oct. 16  - 2nd u/s confirmed missed m/c ----> D&C  eusa_wall.gif switched RE and clinic, DH had a 2nd vaso-vasectomy

IVF # 3 July 2014

July 20/14 - 5 eggs retrieved, all fertilized ICSI'd

July 25/14 -Day 5 transfer! of 4 embryos 

Aug. 8/14 - BFN  icon_cry.gif

Nov. 2104 IUI  # 1 , 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

IVF # 4   May 2018?  with gestational carrier

#17 ggirl

ggirl
  • Global 100+
  • 110 posts
    Love Food

Posted 25 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Yes - age is always a factor. We are having PGS done. Since We have had a couple of losses we only want to  transfer genetically normal eggs if possible. I know that there is a chance that you may not have genetically normal eggs but I'd rather know than continue to miscarrying.

Hope the DHEA works for you. My friend did that at 41 and conceived a healthy baby boy via IUI. And she thought that it had helped!

#18 dayle78

dayle78

Lifeisjoy

• Global 100+
  • 163 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland Clinic (Dr. Lee)

Posted 26 July 2014 - 03:25 PM

36 yo and negotiated with my RE for DET if we have embryo grades for a 3dt but he strongly suggests 1 blast transfer if we have the grade for a 5dt.

I get that they don't want octomoms in Canada, but my clinic has a low 10% rate of multiples with IVF. Canadian average is around 20%. Across Canada the national goal is 15% rate of multiples with IVF but right now I am feeling selfish. I just want babies after trying for so many years and honestly don't CARE about their statistics.

I do realize the risks for moms of multiples to be, don't get me wrong, but it's frustrating....to have to be so assertive when you are the paying customer! :-)

• MEW likes this

Life the life you dream of..... biggrin.png 

#19 ggirl

ggirl
  • Global 100+
  • 110 posts
    Love Food

Posted 27 July 2014 - 02:49 PM

Hi Dayle78. I totally know what you mean. I do expect allot when shelling out so much dough!  How many eggs did you get at retrieval? I am going to see how many embryos we have to work with after PGS testing.  For instance if there is only two - there is the risk the frozen one would't survive if needed later. 

#20 KittyMommy

KittyMommy
  • 11 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Fertility Clinic

Posted 28 July 2014 - 02:58 PM

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum!

I'm 39 and just had our first IVF/ICSI 3 day-3 embryos transferred 4 days ago.  We're prepared for 2 or 3 if it works out that way, but with my age we're just hoping for at least one to implant.  Beta test isn't for another week so I'm keeping my hopes up!

I agree with the others...we told the doctor we were prepared for 3 if it happens.

Me: 39 DH: 38
TTC for 3 years
DH found out through his first marriage that he has male factor infertility
March 2014 - first appt at fertility clinic
April 2014 - all blood tests for me come back normal
May 2014 - HSG shows something unknown, however SIS is normal so good to go
June 2014 - follicles look good for my age, Doc says my fertility looks to be "above the curve" for women my age (yay!)
Beginning of July 2014 - start 1st fresh cycle IVF with stims
July 21/14 - ER: 6 eggs retrieved, 5 mature, 5 fertilized
July 24/14 - ET: only 4 embryos continued growing (3 good, 1 fair), so transferred 3 of the best 3-day embryos!!

beta Aug 4: BFP but hcg only 12....second beta was negative
Heartbroken.
FET planned for September

#21 Crazy

Crazy
  • 1000+
  • 2146 posts

Posted 28 July 2014 - 03:09 PM

Good luck Kittymommy
  • KittyMommy likes this

#22 LateBloomer27

LateBloomer27
  • Cyclebase
  • 163 posts
  • My Clinic:Roxbury Surgery Center

Posted 05 August 2014 - 09:35 PM

ggirl:  At 39, I transferred 2 (did not have genetic testing, froze 1), got one DD

At 41, I transferred 1 (only had one, none to freeze - completely messed up cycle due to lab error) - chemical

At 41, I transferred 1 (elective - froze 8), got DS (I would have done 2 and RE would have agreed, but hubby convinced me that we didn't want twins) - Good decision for us!

Me: 42; DH: 45
IVF/ICSI #1 (9 weeks before my 40th B-day): April 2010; DD born 1/7/2011.
FET#1: Oct 2011; BFN
IVF/ICSI #2: Nov 2011; chemical
IVF/ICSI #3: Jan/Feb 2012 - eSET
2/15/2012 - BFP!!! 276!!; 2/17/2012 - Beta didn't double :( 445.
2/24/2012 - gestational sac! measuring perfectly!
3/2/2012 - strong heart beat, CRL measuring perfectly.
3/9/2012 - strong heart beat, CRL measuring perfectly.
3/19/2012 - graduate to OB.
4/4/2012 - bleeding - subchorionic hematoma (small, OB not worried)
4/10/2012 - NT scan / 1st trimester screen - risk of downs 1/1,300; risk of other trisomies lower. NEGATIVE.
5/15/2012 - amnio - genetically normal. It's a boy!!!
10/17/2012 - Baby Boy born at 39w0d!!! Already loved beyond words!! 8lb 4oz, 21 inches.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: embryo, transfer, age, day 5, pgs, embryos