Any suggestions to do or not do before 1st FET...... - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Any suggestions to do or not do before 1st FET......

fet before fet after fet first fet first ivf BFP

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 15 July 2014 - 11:56 AM

Hello Ladies...

I'm getting close to doing my first FET and wanted to know anything that you or your clinic has suggested you should or shouldn't do leading up to and just after your FET. I don't care how 'cheesy' it sounds either because when we all go through this much to get pregnant I think I can speak for most of us that we are willing to do just about anything for our embaby to stick. :D 

Also, um... what about having sex before a FET.... good, bad or ugly decision??

Any info feel free to send this way... thanks!

• canuckschick likes this

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#2 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1877 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 15 July 2014 - 03:59 PM

Hello Ladies...

I'm getting close to doing my first FET and wanted to know anything that you or your clinic has suggested you should or shouldn't do leading up to and just after your FET. I don't care how 'cheesy' it sounds either because when we all go through this much to get pregnant I think I can speak for most of us that we are willing to do just about anything for our embaby to stick. biggrin.png

Also, um... what about having sex before a FET.... good, bad or ugly decision??

Any info feel free to send this way... thanks!

Have sex for sure!!! You won't be allowed to have sex for a least a few weeks after your transfer so enjoy it while you can! icon_wink.gif I also relaxed, exercised, drank red wine, and enjoyed all the things you can't do while going through a FET (swimming, baths, running). My clinic highly suggests acupuncture so I sought treatment during my FET (I didn't with my fresh cycle). I had eight sessions prior to transfer day, one session on transfer day, one session a few days later, and now I'm doing it once a week until week 12.

I meant to post on your thread about what to do with your two frozen day 3 embryos. My vote is to grow them both to day 5 and transfer one at that point. I say that only because I did not have success with my day 3 transfer of two embryos but I did with my day 5 FET. I also don't think it wise to transfer more than one embryo if you do not want twins. I wish you lots of luck and sticky vibes for your transfer!!!

• TryingForOur2ndChild likes this

Me - 37   DH - 45 (Paraplegic)   

FET planned for spring 2017

#3 farmwife

farmwife
  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

My clinic always told me that do whatever it is (or isn't) you would normally do. And do whatever you need to do to keep yourself sane, after my FET they said if I felt that hanging from my feet from the rafters would give me an edge then go ahead, if I wanted to go back to work right after then to do that.
That being said I was(and still am) a faithful acupuncture goer. I started acupuncture probably a year before our IVF cycle. For our FET cycle I had an appointment a few days prior to my lining check, and an appointment the day after transfer. My acupuncturist also taped tiny seeds in my ears on points to help relaxation, I squeezed those suckers all day it seemed. I also ate pineapple core the day before transfer and for the next 4 days, don't know how much truth there is so it, but hey if you like pineapple it can't hurt. Our transfer was in August so I fully enjoyed a beer or two up until 3 days before my transfer. Go ahead have sex, and enjoy it! After I got my a BFP I asked my doctor when it would be safe to have sex again... To which he replied 'we'll I don't think you really need to now! But you can if you want.' We didn't for awhile since I was on the progesterone suppositories and the goop just didn't scream sexy.

Good luck with your FET!!!
  • Red Wine and TryingForOur2ndChild like this
~ Sometimes even the most dusty of dirt roads lead to the most beautiful scenery~ Journey details in 'About Me'

#4 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:49 AM

Thanks ladies!

I've read some conflicting info from various clinics online where some encourage sex before a FET to increase success based on how the swimmers alter the ph balance but then others have said not to for 24-48 hrs before FET. Not sure if any of your clinics have stipulated anything remotely to what I've wrote or not.

Farmwife - the taping of tiny seeds in your ears... I've never heard of that. Did your acupuncturist give a name for this? I've been doing weekly acupuncture treatments for the past 7 months but did them 3 times a week during my stims and plan on doing two treatments a week leading up to my FET to thicken my uterine lining. She always does stress points seeing as I'm a high stress person. I have an appt with her tomorrow and would love to ask about this.

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

Cycle Info:

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#5 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 10:53 AM

Oh and has any of your clinics suggested to stop caffeine before or after a FET? I drink only a cup a day but not sure if I should stop this. Some people have also said drinking anything really hot or cold isn't good. Part of me wonders if it's all just things that mentally make people feel better and all these guideline can create so much added stress.... but then maybe there's a reason behind it. I just want to do what's best for a good outcome but not overanalyze it either. :)

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#6 SunshineTTC

SunshineTTC
  • 1000+
  • 1037 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 16 July 2014 - 12:43 PM

Too much caffeine affects egg (and sperm) quality, though I don't think 1 cup per day is problem.  I'm not sure if it has any effect if you're already past that point though ie. transfer, implantation, pregnancy etc.  I pretty much quit caffeine (and alcohol, and aspartame, etc) completely when I first started my TTC journey, I've got so few eggs to begin with, I figured I didn't want to add even a minimal increased risk of damage to them.

Me: 40 41 42 43 44 45, single, FSH 6, LH 2 (FSH not high, but exceeded 2:1 ratio), DOR (AFC 5-7, v.low AMH), all else normal/healthy.

After a difficult 6 year journey of everything going wrong, amazing baby boy born Dec 2018.  Donor sperm + DEB-USA donor eggs.  Detailed journey in 'about me'.

#7 farmwife

farmwife
  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 09:28 AM

Thanks ladies!
I've read some conflicting info from various clinics online where some encourage sex before a FET to increase success based on how the swimmers alter the ph balance but then others have said not to for 24-48 hrs before FET. Not sure if any of your clinics have stipulated anything remotely to what I've wrote or not.

Farmwife - the taping of tiny seeds in your ears... I've never heard of that. Did your acupuncturist give a name for this? I've been doing weekly acupuncture treatments for the past 7 months but did them 3 times a week during my stims and plan on doing two treatments a week leading up to my FET to thicken my uterine lining. She always does stress points seeing as I'm a high stress person. I have an appt with her tomorrow and would love to ask about this.

I don't think it was called anything specific, I don't even know what kind if seeds they were. I actually had them in my ear before I went into labor, but I can't remember if they were in the same spots.
As for the coffee I continued to drink it during my IVF/FET and pregnancy, but was a cup-a-day drinker, if I wanted a second cup I had a decaf. My acupuncturist also encouraged me to avoid iced drinks and drink warm things (room temp water). Reason behind it was to keep the uterus warm and snugly, in the evening I would also put a heat pad on my lower back (in Chinese medicine the kidneys are linked to the uterus), just make sure not to overheat yourself.
  • TryingForOur2ndChild likes this
~ Sometimes even the most dusty of dirt roads lead to the most beautiful scenery~ Journey details in 'About Me'

#8 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:22 PM

Farmwife - thanks for the tips on coffee, cold drinks and heating pad... it's really appreciated!  :)

The seeds thing sounds interesting.... I plan on inquiring about it with my acupuncturist today. How good did they stay in place? I mean one would think they would unstick while having showers and such. sorry for all the questions.. this has peeked my curiousity. ;)

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#9 ENF

ENF
  • 1000+
  • 1877 posts
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 17 July 2014 - 12:40 PM

Oh and has any of your clinics suggested to stop caffeine before or after a FET? I drink only a cup a day but not sure if I should stop this. Some people have also said drinking anything really hot or cold isn't good. Part of me wonders if it's all just things that mentally make people feel better and all these guideline can create so much added stress.... but then maybe there's a reason behind it. I just want to do what's best for a good outcome but not overanalyze it either. smile.png

My clinic did not give any restrictions on sex leading up to our frozen transfer. In fact we had sex the night before our transfer after sharing a bottle of wine! We wanted to go out with a bang giggle.gif

As for the caffeine, I made a personal decision to limit caffeine as I didn't want to regret anything if I miscarried or if the embryo didn't take. It had nothing to do with thinking a cup or two of coffee would cause harm. Now that I got my BFP I occasionally drink caffeinated tea or iced tea. I've also always loved ice cold water and I've continued to drink cold beverages after my transfer. The same goes for really hot beverages, soups and foods. There's no harm in giving up super cold or hot drinks though, so why not try it.

At the end of the day if the embryo is going to stick, it will...regardless of a cup or two of coffee or iced-tea. Just make sure you follow your gut about things and that way you'll feel like you did everything you possibly could, even if the outcome is a BFN. 

I wish you all the best on your FET!

Me - 37   DH - 45 (Paraplegic)   

FET planned for spring 2017

#10 fullofhope

fullofhope
  • Global 100+
  • 202 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Clinic

Posted 17 July 2014 - 01:07 PM

tryingforour1st child - I have also being doing acupuncture and she puts the seeds in my ears every week. She puts 2 in each ear at the top. They are tapped in so they don't fall out when you shower. I have had the odd one fall out but most of the time I have to take them out. One is for the uterus and one is to relax you. Once there in you don't even know they are in until you rub them.

May 2013 - Failed IUI in Phoenix, Az

May 2014 - IVF/ICSI #1

August 2014 - FET

September 2014 - BFP

May 2015 - Baby girl Jaelyn born 8lbs 12oz.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#11 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 07:25 PM

Fullofhope & Farmwife- I spoke to my acupuncturist about the ear seeds today which she put one in near the top of my ear to help relax me. Did you find initially they were a bit sore to even touch let alone press on? Maybe it's because I'm not used to it but holly heck the last thing I want to do is squeeze it seeing as I'm already getting a very mild throbbing sensation...lol.
  • Red Wine likes this

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#12 farmwife

farmwife
  • Global 100+
  • 579 posts

Posted 17 July 2014 - 08:32 PM

Yup squeezing them seemed out if the question right from the start, I don't know if it gets less sore or the thought of this giving you an edge makes you power through the pain. I never had any issues with them falling out. My DH thought it was hilarious that I had seeds taped to my head.

#13 fullofhope

fullofhope
  • Global 100+
  • 202 posts
  • My Clinic:Edmonton Clinic

Posted 18 July 2014 - 12:23 PM

Mine hurt the first time and now I don't even know they are there.

May 2013 - Failed IUI in Phoenix, Az

May 2014 - IVF/ICSI #1

August 2014 - FET

September 2014 - BFP

May 2015 - Baby girl Jaelyn born 8lbs 12oz.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#14 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 19 July 2014 - 11:18 AM

Fullofhope & Farmwife - thanks for the ear seeds info. I'm on my 3rd day of having the one in and I've yet to have to press on it as it seems to apply enough pressure for me. It's still sore but surprisingly it doesn't bother me at all even when it comes to laying that ear on my pillow at night. I don't know if it's a mental thing or not but wow I can really tell a HUGE difference with my stress levels! I typically have heart palpitation-like feelings when I'm even mildly stressed, and I get them several times a day.. but since having it in I've not had a single heart palpitation. If it's in my head or not I really don't care because the relief is worth it. Does the relief accumulate the more you used ear seeds (like acupuncture treatments) or does the relief stay the same?

• ENF likes this

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fet, before fet, after fet, first fet, first ivf, BFP