Only Umbilical Cord blood?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Guest_Admin_*

Guest_Admin_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:26 PM

Peter,

Is storage only good for umbilical cord blood? Is it at all possible to store regular blood for the same purpose?

Also, when we had our child delivered the IVF clinic arranged the pick up/collection of the umbilical cord for medical research. We had no idea storage was even an option, and if known we might have asked that some be kept/sent for storage. Has there been any attempt to encourage researchers/clinics to tell clients about this as a matter of courtesy?

#2 Peter

Peter

Embryologist

• 1000+
  • 3061 posts
  • Interests:Stem cells, cord blood and infertility
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:The Bridge Clinic, Lagos, Nigeria

Posted 12 May 2004 - 12:42 PM

Peter,

Is storage only good for umbilical cord blood? Is it at all possible to store regular blood for the same purpose?

Only cord blood contains the stem cells which are used for transplant.

Also, when we had our child delivered the IVF clinic arranged the pick up/collection of the umbilical cord for medical research. We had no idea storage was even an option, and if known we might have asked that some be kept/sent for storage. Has there been any attempt to encourage researchers/clinics to tell clients about this as a matter of courtesy?

I am very sorry to hear that all of the options were not described to you. This should have been part of your informed consent process to donate the sample to research. This was very poor practice.

We are actively trying to educate the general public on the subject of umbilical cord blood collection and storage. At present in Canada only about 0.5% of deliveries have cord blood stored.

We also have a public bank where those people who do not wish to store for their opwn family can donate the sample for use in transplantation worldwide.

Regards,

Peter

Please see my comments in your text:
www.thebridgeclinic.com
www.wmin.ac.uk
www.smartcells.com