- - - - -

IVF consult.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 09:25 PM

Dh and I have our IVF consult on the 29th with Dr. Rowe. We have seen his a few times but I guess as we are heading into IVF now they start all over?? THey sent me all of the hystory paperwork again to fill out, which I just did last fall.

ANyone remember how the appt. goes? We were told its 2 hours long and involved b/w and watching a video, I am guessing its not the type we want to bring popcorn to...

Is their anything we should have prepared for this meeting?

Thanks

Jenn

#2 zoecat5

zoecat5
  • 51 posts

Posted 10 September 2006 - 10:01 PM

Hi Jenn,

DH and I went through this a couple of months ago...I also had to redo all the paperwork, but mine was older than yours.

You meet with the Dr. as well as the IVF nurse and go through the protocol, and then watch a rather old video (nothing graphic) that explains the process. I believe we also had blood work done and DH had a SA done. I would read the info on IVF on the UBC fertility website and come prepared with any questions you may have.

We ended up trying Superovulation + IUI first and it worked for us on the first try.

I really liked Dr. Rowe.

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Karen
Me - 38
DH - 40
m/c Oct 13/04 - blighted ovum at 12 weeks
August '05 - bloodwork and SA a-okay
August '05 - HSG - clear (? - apparantly not!!!!)
November 10/05 - HSG - hydrosalphinx in left tube, almost completely blocked
November 28/05 - laproscopy - left tube scarred to ovary and bowel - scarring removed, bowel and ovary freed, and tube reopened
TTC for 4 months, then back to the RE
Started acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Herbs December 6/05
Started Superovulation + IUI in July/August 06 = BFP - baby Elizabeth born April 12/07

• Validating
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 11 September 2006 - 12:51 PM

Thanks Karen.

We last met with him in the spring but it just seemed weird theat they were making us fill everything out again, but hey I will do it a hundred times if it helps.

DH is just very squeemish so I was curious asbout the video. Originally when we met with Dr. Rowe he said we could try the superovulation IUI's but we are comparing cost vs. statistics and IVF has a higher success rate for MF. I would love to do the iui's, I already take too many shots without any fertility meds!

But we will see what he has to say this time.

Congrats on your success.

Jenn

#4 zoecat5

zoecat5
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 08:08 PM

Thanks Karen.

We last met with him in the spring but it just seemed weird theat they were making us fill everything out again, but hey I will do it a hundred times if it helps.

DH is just very squeemish so I was curious asbout the video. Originally when we met with Dr. Rowe he said we could try the superovulation IUI's but we are comparing cost vs. statistics and IVF has a higher success rate for MF. I would love to do the iui's, I already take too many shots without any fertility meds!

But we will see what he has to say this time.

Congrats on your success.

Jenn

Hi Jenn - I hope your appointment goes well - let me know! Nothing squeemish to worry about in the video. I was thinking the same about cost versus statistics when we decided about IUI versus IVF. We thought we'd give it a try as a few girlfriends in one of my buddy groups had success with it. I figured it would give me an idea what IVF would be like since you do similar drugs (just not as many).

Best of luck to you!
Karen
Me - 38
DH - 40
m/c Oct 13/04 - blighted ovum at 12 weeks
August '05 - bloodwork and SA a-okay
August '05 - HSG - clear (? - apparantly not!!!!)
November 10/05 - HSG - hydrosalphinx in left tube, almost completely blocked
November 28/05 - laproscopy - left tube scarred to ovary and bowel - scarring removed, bowel and ovary freed, and tube reopened
TTC for 4 months, then back to the RE
Started acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Herbs December 6/05
Started Superovulation + IUI in July/August 06 = BFP - baby Elizabeth born April 12/07