Superovulation IUI @ PCRM w/ Dr. Roberts? - PCRM - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Superovulation IUI @ PCRM w/ Dr. Roberts?

iui superovulation pcrm

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 kiwi888

kiwi888
  • Global 100+
  • 188 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM (prev Edmonton RAH)

Posted 08 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Just had my ultrasound with Dr. Roberts and he's baffled by my unexplained infertility -- so he suggested that we try either super ovulation IUI or standard IVF.  He told me that it is possible to get pregnant after having gone through an IVF procedure -- if I can get pregnant through "with less meds/procedures," then of course, that would be great.  Has anyone done super ovulation IUI at PCRM? How was your experience?   

#2 runner.girl

runner.girl
  • Global 100+
  • 229 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:53 AM

I had a super ovulation IUI at PCRM last year and it was successful! Am doing a night feeding now :)
Dx: Unicornuate uterus, one tube and some sperm morphology

#3 kiwi888

kiwi888
  • Global 100+
  • 188 posts

Posted 09 June 2014 - 05:13 PM

Thanks RunnerGirl. That gives me some hope.  It's not my first tx but since having our 1st baby boy, we had 2 subsequent failed FETs and are starting from scratch for a hopeful #2.  If you don't mind me asking, who was your doctor at PCRM? 

#4 LadyB

LadyB
  • 42 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:03 PM

Hi Kiwi,

I had my IUI yesterday at PCRM. I had initially signed up for IVF but converted to IUI due to poor response. I had 3 follicles which is a good number for IUI but low for IVF. My Dr is Dr Roberts and I find him very knowledgable and appreciate his no nonsense approach. During the cycle you will meet all the Dr's as they rotate monitoring in the mornings. I like all of them. They gave me lots of info but in the end it was my choice.

Runnergirl, this is my first fertility treatment. Congrats on your baby boy! You give me hope that IVF to IUi conversion can work! Trying to stay positive in the 2ww.
Me: 33 DH: 31 TTC since July 2012
Aug 2013-Jan 2014: Clomid = BFN
Jan 2014 - Consult with RE to determine next steps...decide to do IVF in a few months. TTC au natural Feb-Apr = BFN
May 3 2014 - Start BCP
May 21 - Last BCP and continue with Lupron
May 29 - Baseline looks good and on to start stims
May 30 - 1st day of stims - Bravelle and Menopur
June 6 - only 3 follicles showing of measurable size...poor responder...Decide to convert to IUI
June 11 - IUI
June 25 - BFP!!! Beta #1 - 154 :)
June 27 - Beta #2 - 305
July 22 - First ultrasound! Saw one beautiful baby with a strong heartbeat measuring right on track!!

#5 runner.girl

runner.girl
  • Global 100+
  • 229 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 05:00 AM

Kiwi - Dr H was my RE but as LadyB said, you'll see all of them there and it may not be your RE who actually does the IUI.

LadyB - good luck! I remember being so discouraged as I was the only one in my cycle group who had a cancelled cycle, but it worked out in the end.
  • LadyB likes this

#6 LadyB

LadyB
  • 42 posts

Posted 26 June 2014 - 12:17 AM

Hi kiwi888 and runnergirl,

Just wanted to give you a quick update. Well I had my beta today after my IVF cycle was converted to IUI.....got my first BFP ever!!!!!

Just goes to show you never really know and super ovulation with IUI can have amazing results!!
Jan 2014 - Consult with RE to determine next steps...decide to do IVF in a few months. TTC au natural Feb-Apr = BFN
May 3 2014 - Start BCP
June 6 - only 3 follicles showing of measurable size...poor responder...Decide to convert to IUI
June 11 - IUI
June 27 - Beta #2 - 305
July 22 - First ultrasound! Saw one beautiful baby with a strong heartbeat measuring right on track!!

#7 renuka

renuka
  • 21 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 26 June 2014 - 04:49 PM

Hi LadyB, 

I was really excited to read your last post! I'm new here, and I'm waiting for hear from PCRM to get an appt for my initial consultation. I'm still debating whether I should try IUI first or go straight to IVF, but I kinda want to try IUI first. Your BFP has gotten me pretty hopeful and excited!

Kiwi, have you decided if you'll be trying IUI with superovulation or IVF?

#8 kiwi888

kiwi888
  • Global 100+
  • 188 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:19 AM

@LadyB, congrats on your BFP!! That's awesome news!

@Renuka, I think we're going to try the superovulation IUI since that was the protocol that our doc seemed to be leaning towards for us.  We've already been through an IVF procedure once before, but Dr. R thinks that we may be able to get pregnant with less "intervention."  

Do you have any idea when you'll be getting your first appt? 

#9 renuka

renuka
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 09:53 AM

Kiwi888: They received my referral on June 9th, so I'm thinking any day now. I heard it only takes a few weeks for that first phone call, and it's been 2.5 weeks!

I'm glad to hear that your doctor is willing to try IUI even after IVF instead of just pushing for another IVF. Will you be trying it soon?

I'm soooo nervous about this entire process!

#10 runner.girl

runner.girl
  • Global 100+
  • 229 posts

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

LadyB - congrats on your BFP!
You never know what might work - I cried when my IVF was converted to IUI since I was the only one in my cycle group with that issue, and was so surprised when it worked! Glad you were another successful conversion. Hope the rest of your pregnancy goes smoothly :)

#11 LadyB

LadyB
  • 42 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 12:46 PM

renuka, we had originally planned to do IVF/ICSI as the success rate seemed to much higher. It was my first fertility treatment other than clomid. The nice thing about trying super ovulation IUI first is you get to see how your body responds to the meds. I just assumed because I am under 35 and overall healthy it would be fine. Low and behold we discovered I have diminished ovarian reserve as I didn't respond well to the meds. It was devastating. The RE only gave us 7-10% chance of success with the IUi conversion as Dr R found sperm abnormalities that my GP hadn't found. So I suppose our diagnosis is no longer unexplained. They never pressured either treatment and it was totally our choice. Now I know how it all worked out, I am so happy things worked out the way they did. I am still in shock that I'm pregnant!

Good luck to you Kiwi888 on your treatment plan!

Thanks runnergirl, 2nd beta was good yesterday! Now just praying for a healthy pregnancy! :)
May 3 2014 - Start BCP
June 11 - IUI
June 27 - Beta #2 - 305

#12 renuka

renuka
  • 21 posts

Posted 28 June 2014 - 01:03 PM

LadyB, thank you so much for sharing the details of your situation. I'm glad your 2nd beta went well! Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy.. it is starting to seem a little less like a faraway dream now. Can't wait for that first phone call!

#13 Kulixz

Kulixz
  • Just Hatched
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:PCRM Edmonton

Posted 08 November 2017 - 06:16 PM

Anyone doing IUI+femera this sept?

#14 Fonger

Fonger
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts
  • My Clinic:PCRM Burnaby

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:55 PM

Anyone doing IUI+femera this sept?

HI there, I am considering doing my first IUI next month. Was wondering what your outcome was? I'm going to PCRM in Burnaby.

#15 Fonger

Fonger
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 12:56 PM

LadyB, thank you so much for sharing the details of your situation. I'm glad your 2nd beta went well! Wishing you all the best with your pregnancy.. it is starting to seem a little less like a faraway dream now. Can't wait for that first phone call!

Hi renuka, im also going to pcrm in burnaby. would you mind sharing your journey with me? did you do iui? i am considering this for next month. thanks.

#16 renuka

renuka
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:36 PM

Hi renuka, im also going to pcrm in burnaby. would you mind sharing your journey with me? did you do iui? i am considering this for next month. thanks.

Wow, I haven’t been on this site in many years! Anyway, I did three IUIs with pills that failed, and then I tried two rounds of IUI with superovulation (injectables) and both were cancelled. I eventually tried IVF and found success on my second transfer. I now have a healthy daughter, 2 and a half years old. We’re trying for #2 now and we are back at PCRM again.

#17 Fonger

Fonger
  • Just Hatched
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2018 - 01:55 PM

Wow, I haven’t been on this site in many years! Anyway, I did three IUIs with pills that failed, and then I tried two rounds of IUI with superovulation (injectables) and both were cancelled. I eventually tried IVF and found success on my second transfer. I now have a healthy daughter, 2 and a half years old. We’re trying for #2 now and we are back at PCRM again.

Thank you for replying :) Congratulations on your daughter!

I had my first pregnancy through PCRM as well back in 2014. We were very lucky to have gotten pregnant on clomid 150mg alone, i now have a 3 year old daughter. We are on our journey to baby #2, just like you. I've done 2 cycles of letrozole and 1 cycle of 150mg of clomid and did not ovulate on any of those :( Was very dissapointed as clomid worked in the past for me. We are moving onto iui and injectables. Im curious, is this expensive? i know the procedure is $500 does this include the sperm wash as well? on their site, it lists it seperate additonal $500. Also, did you opt for the ultrasound monitoring for the iui? would that be beneficial? Thanks!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: iui, superovulation, pcrm