Folic Acid vs Bio-Available Folate - Ask the Naturopathic Physician - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Folic Acid vs Bio-Available Folate

vitamins ivf

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 05 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

Hello,

I wanted to know what is a good dose for one trying to conceive and possibly going through IVF at the age of 36 to take of the Bio-Active Folate? I know over the years recently I've heard that taking 3-5 mg of folic acid daily is better than just 1-2 mg, but unsure if the same applies for the bio-active version.

I've been taking the Innovite Health brand... is this a good one or would you suggest anything better?

http://www.innoviteh...ct_details/1/39

Thanks!

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#2 MandyA

MandyA
  • 54 posts
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:07 AM

Interesting, my obgyn at the clinic mentioned that my own gp was incorrect prescribing me 5 mg of folic acid, obgyn said that it's only beneficial if I have diabetes or if there's a history of congenital spinal cord issues in the family.

My GP told me it was because it's on motherrisk.org that women aren't taking enough.  For now, I'm sticking to whatever's in my prenatal multi. (SISU Expecting for now, will switch to Thorne Basic Prenatal when they're gone, and I'm able to find a place that ships to Canada that has it in stock... they go fast, they're that popular.)

See my "About Me" page.  smile.png 

Help us afford IVF: http://www.youcaring.com/roys

I have a Fertility Feelings Facebook group:  https://www.facebook...47599005269377/

TL:DR: I'm 38.  Husband's 42.

Husband had seminoma (testicular cancer) at 27, orchiectomy of one, no chemo first time, all gone as of 2009 CT scan.

Began dating July 2012.

Targeting fertile window since July 2013, had a donated vial of sperm for an unmedicated IUI (2015) and several informal private known donors, all unsuccessful so far.

Married July 4th, 2016.

Discovered seminoma recurred Jan 2017 in his abdomen. Had chemo in April 2017. Tumor shrunk significantly.

Diagnosis: Severely low sperm count, and now sterile indefinitely due to chemo.

We have 8 vials of sperm frozen at the local clinic. Considering a move to QC or ON for at least partial funding, or looking at mini IVF.

#3 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:08 PM

Naturopaths often carry the Thorne products, which is probably why it's harder to get.... because they aren't sold over the counter. Thorne products are really good! Maybe contact some of your local Naturopaths and see if they use/carry Thorne products.

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

Cycle Info:

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#4 MandyA

MandyA
  • 54 posts
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 12 May 2014 - 04:00 PM

Hmm.  I hadn't thought of that.  I know there is one naturopath who's website lists male fertility as a condition she treats, but another one is all about the women's side of it and she is a member of a doula association and a midwife one.

See my "About Me" page.  smile.png 

Help us afford IVF: http://www.youcaring.com/roys

I have a Fertility Feelings Facebook group:  https://www.facebook...47599005269377/

TL:DR: I'm 38.  Husband's 42.

Husband had seminoma (testicular cancer) at 27, orchiectomy of one, no chemo first time, all gone as of 2009 CT scan.

Began dating July 2012.

Targeting fertile window since July 2013, had a donated vial of sperm for an unmedicated IUI (2015) and several informal private known donors, all unsuccessful so far.

Married July 4th, 2016.

Discovered seminoma recurred Jan 2017 in his abdomen. Had chemo in April 2017. Tumor shrunk significantly.

Diagnosis: Severely low sperm count, and now sterile indefinitely due to chemo.

We have 8 vials of sperm frozen at the local clinic. Considering a move to QC or ON for at least partial funding, or looking at mini IVF.

#5 abcd

abcd
  • 72 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 12 May 2014 - 07:52 PM

TryingForOur1stChild what did you decide regarding the dose of folate? Did you take 5mg folate ?

#6 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

I would love to see what Dr Fiona has to say as well, as I was thinking the same thing, if I am taking the bio available version (5-MTHF) than I may not need to have such a high dose (I have MTHFR mutations and may not be able to process regular folic acid very well, so I have started taking the bio-available one made by Thorne).

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.

#7 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 10:47 AM

abcd - currently I'm taking 3mg of folate... figured I'd split it down the middle until we get a response from Dr. Fiona.

Lisa1995 - with you having the MTHF gene, have they also suggested you take the bio-available version of the B6 and B12 vitamins?

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#8 Lisa1995

Lisa1995
  • 1000+
  • 1417 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:was Lifequest, now Markham

Posted 15 May 2014 - 11:19 AM

No one actually suggested the bio-available versions to me, I just did my own research and came to that conclusion. During my last cycle I was taking a Thorne B complex as well with the bio-available forms of B but since that cycle failed I have "supplement fatigue" (got tired of taking so many pills without success) and stopped taking most things except the Thorne 5-MTHF as I figure I it may be a good idea to take it for life and general health in my case (I should probably continue to take B as well for that matter but am just taking a break)...

I was just researching this the other day and also thought this Thorne product looked great, not sure if I can buy it in Canada or not yet as I have not had a chance to check my local store: http://thorne.com/Pr...t/prd~SF787.jsp

PS: A good place to buy Thorne supplements in Toronto is either Qi Natural Foods, or their sister store Herbs and Nutrition at Bloor and Bathurst and they have good prices.

TTC #1: starting in Feb 2005 "unexplained" (immune issues, elevated NK cells, 2 heterozygous MTHFR and 2 heterozygous thrombophilias - Factor XIII and PAI-1 mutations)
me-42, DH-42, married since 1995!
Tried: Naturopath, Chinese herbs, Acupuncture, Homeopathy
4 un-medicated IUI's BFN
IVF # 1 18 eggs retrieved, 16 mature, 8 out of 16 fertilized (1/2 ICSI, half IVF), 5 made it to day 5 blast, transferred two, froze 3
first ever BFP m/c
FET #1 medicated, transferred two, started spotting 2 days later, full blown AF 5 days later (decided I don't react well to Estrace, will do natural frozen next time) BFN
FET #2 natural (but still with progesterone (crinone) support, transferred last blast from IVF #1 BFN
IVF #2 16 eggs retrieved, decided not to do ICSI this time since cycle #1 showed eggs could fertilize on their own, only 3 fertilized! None made it to blast for transfer no transfer! Disaster!
IVF #3 decided to add some repronex to the stims and do all ICSI. 18 eggs, 17 mature and 15 fertilized, 8 made it to day 5 blast. Transferred two blasts, froze 6 BFN
FET#3 added 3 HCG booster shots and doubled up on the crinone to prevent me from spotting early (as I often do), transferred 2 blasts, no spotting but a BFN anyway
FET #4- added ovidral just before my natural ovulation so they could pin point it more accurately with the 36 hour window, HCG shots again, plus double crinone BFN
January 2009 Consult with new RE in Markham - he finds a small septum, resected April 29, 09 - tells me to now try my last two frozen blasts
FET #5 - ET scheduled for June 15 (natural cycle with trigger, HCG booster and crinone) - BFN
On to Plan B- Switch clinic to Markham for
#4 Fresh IVF with IVIg, exploring immune testing - start BCP Sept 20. ER around week of Oct. 25
9 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured. 7 to work with. 4 out of 7 fertilized (Day 3: 1 8 cell grade 1, 2 8 cell grade 2 and 1 morula). Day 5 transferred 1 great blast and 1 morula (1 morula and 1 10 cell did not make it to freezing).
Beta Nov. 11 - BFP! (550) I am in shock!
Issues with spotting, Nov 20, second beta 11,000 and early ultrasound: saw gestational sac and yolk sac in the right place but concern about a cyst or possible ectopic near my ovary as well, 4 more ultrasounds over a 10 day period, last ultrasound on Dec. 2 'cyst' has not grown and baby measuring on target at 7wks, 1day with a heart beat of 153bpm.
Now taking Lovenox due to 2 heterozygous thrombophilias
Ultrasound on Dec. 18 (9 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 167
Ultrasound on Dec. 22 due to extra heavy spotting, baby still measuring on track, hb 167 and dancing
Ultrasound on Jan. 8 (12 weeks, 5 days) baby on track, hb 160, baby doing crunches!
18 week anatomy scan scheduled for Feb. 16 - they lost my blood work for the second part of the IPS so no results for that today (they took blood again) but the 18 week scan went great, baby looked awesome and even gave us a little wave in between sucking her thumb and inspecting her toes. Yes, I said "her" - it's a little girl!
20 week ultrasound at Mt. Sinai and they agree, so far so good.
IPS results are in and they are excellent!
EDD: July 19, 2010
Baby girl arrived at 39 weeks, 2 days! July 14, 2010 3:12 am, weighing 7 pounds even.
May 2013 - The IVF Journey continues...one last try to see if a sibling is in the cards...
Did LIT, IVIg, Lovenox and low dose aspirin. 5 eggs retrieved, 1 immature, 1 fractured, 3 to work with, 2 fertilized with ICSI.
June 5, day 3 transfer of 2 8 cell grade 2 embryos.BFN
April 2014, one very last try - natural IVF with intralipids this time, 2! dominant follicles, 2 mature eggs retrieved, both fertilize with ICSI, day 3 transfer scheduled for April 13, transferred 1 8-cell grade one and 1 6-cell grade one (also using Lovenox and low dose ASA) -BFN, we are really done, not sure if it is now my immune system, or old eggs now too.

#9 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 02:28 PM

Thorne products are great... my Naturopath carries them. Also, I was recently referred by my Naturopath to a place that sells them locally which is nice.

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#10 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 22 May 2014 - 12:30 PM

Hi there, 

I answered this in the other thread so please check there :) 

Dr. Fiona

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vitamins, ivf