Fertility Dose of CoQ10 Ubiquinol vs. Ubiquinone - Ask the Naturopathic Physician - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Fertility Dose of CoQ10 Ubiquinol vs. Ubiquinone

suppliments fertility ivf coq10

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:20 PM

We are currently taking the more concentrated (and expensive I might add) dose of CoQ10 (ubiquinol), which I realize that most people just take the cheaper ubiquinone version. I was wondering what is a good dose of obiquinol CoQ10 to increase fertility in a 36 year old woman and a 35 year old man that has male factor infertility issues.

Thanks!

See full journey details on my profile:

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

FET #1 - medicated cycle (2014)

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2014)

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

~ 2016/17IVF Cycle #2: Project Sibling

Cycle Info:

Oct. 29: Retrieval - 23 eggs retrieved; will be a freeze all cycle

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

FET #1 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb. 6: start Teva-Doxycycline antibiotic100mg one day before procedure
Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

FET #2 - Non-medicated cycle (2017)

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.7: CD14 - u/s and b/w= 11mm triple lining; E2 712, LH 32 IU/L

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

Mar.23: HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#2 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 29 April 2014 - 02:56 PM

I've been taking 300mg of ubiquinol, same for DH. I believe if you were to take ubiquinone you'd take double the dose, hence 600mg daily.

#3 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:05 PM

I've just been taking 200 mg daily and DH has been taking 400 mg daily..... wondering if I should bump up my dose.

I have a very high AMH levels and follicle count so I'm concerned I may have alot of follicles but may lead to poor quality for IVF.

About Us:

​Trying to conceive since 2013 (male factor); Me: 39 yrs old; DH: 37 yrs old; low testosterone; very low sperm count; on Clomid for testosterone

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

- Retrieval: 22 eggs retrieved; 8 injected (ICSI); 6 fertilized; 4 embryos divided - 2 embryos are 4 cell grade 1, 1 embryo is 5 cell grade 2, and 1 embryo is 8 cell grade 2

- transferred two day-3s: one 10 cell grade 1 and one 12 cell grade 2; Beta: BFN; approved to do a natural FET next time

- added Teva-Doxycycline 100mg (antibiotic) started one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished) 

- transferred two day-3 embies (1 is 10 cell grade 2 and 1 is 12 cell grade 2); took 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg 45mins before FET        

​- HPT = th_abfp.gifbanana.gifbanana.gifth_abfp.gif  Welcomed our little babygirl.gif in summer of 2015

Cycle Info:

Nov. 2: Dostinex 0.5mg every other day for a total of 8 days has started to alleviate OHSS 

Nov. 4: Day 6 report: 5 embryos on ice... yay! 4 day-5s (4AA and 3 are 4BC quality) and 1 day-6 (5BC quality)

Feb. 7: scheduled transfer at 11:45am; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer; transfer of one 4AA blast

Feb.20: BETA - BFN; approved to go right into another natural FET with no cycle in between

Feb.24: CD3 - u/s and b/w= nothing said about lining; E2 19, LH 4.4 IU/L, FSH 6.6 IU/L, Prolactin 8.1 Ng/mL, TSH 2.22 IU/L, Progesterone 1.6 nmol/L, Glucose 4.1 - I requested (norm is 3.6-7.7); back on CD15; acupuncture 2x weekly until fet to try and bring on LH surge sooner than CD17.

Mar.6: OPK positive in the evening so looks like I will be going into the clinic tomorrow

Mar.8: CD15 - b/w= confirmed LH surge was yesterday; E2 343, LH 8.12 IU/L; start Endometrin 3x/daily

Mar.11: start Doxycycline antibiotic 100mg (8 pills total) one day before procedure: 1 tab 2xdaily until finished

Mar.12: scheduled transfer at 10am of one 4BA blast; 1 tab of Apo-Diazepam (valium) 5mg taken 45mins before transfer

​Mar.25: Beta #1= 788 hcg, Progesterone 107 nmol/L; RE happy with results so skipping beta #2 and going right to u/s

​Apr.4: had light bleeding last night so went to clinic where they did an u/s; too early to really see much but did see a gestational sac; u/s moved from Apr.8th to 15th

Apr.18: First u/s scheduled (at 8 wks).... omg there are twins!!! One had a heartbeat of 140 and the other only 80 so being referred to the head OB of internal fetal medicine as it looks like I may have a vanishing twin which RE said 50% of twins go down to one before the 2nd trimester.

#4 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:15 PM

I don't think there is any harm in bumping it up to 300mg, especially if you're planning any type of treatment soon. I'm not sure how much scientific evidence there is for it, but I've seen many women swear on CoQ10.

You won't really know about the egg quality issue until you do IVF (and reading through your signature you might not even do IVF). Some women with PCOS-like ovaries respond with huge follicle numbers, some (like me) don't.

#5 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:24 PM

I hope we don't have to do IVF, but I'm always a 'worst case scenerio' planner.... I find I'm less stressed if I have more than one plan mapped out, especially for this. :)

Yes, they are concerned about me massively overstimulating with my PCOS-like ovaries... my AMH numbers were so high they actually called the lab to double check that they didn't make a mistake. :(

Merry, have you done an IVF cycle?

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#6 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts

Posted 29 April 2014 - 03:33 PM

I don't know if I told this to you previously or somebody else (I remember having a very similar conversation a few weeks ago, lol), but I'm the perfect example that what doctors predict doesn't always become true ;)

Yes, I've done 2 IVF cycles already. I also have very high AFCs (always above 30, a recent one was even way higher at 53 follicles total; AMH was never tested), and before I did my first IVF my doctor completely freaked me out about my OHSS risk. I switched clinics in the meantime and learned something very interesting - women with PCOS/PCOS-like ovaries often have an intrinsic gonadotropin resistance, which means that sometimes they will need very high dosages of IVF meds to make a decent number of follicles.

I think I'm a somewhat strange case, but for both my IVFs I started out with high antral follicle counts and ended up with relatively few eggs retrieved (6 for the first one, 9 for the second one). But I respond extremely quickly (only stimmed for 8 days total both times, last time they almost triggered me on Day 7).

Sorry to bore you with my detailed story, I thought I'd just share to illustrate that doctors can only predict so much. You might respond the way they think, or you might not at all. A high AFC doesn't necessarily mean OHSS, and on the flipside I've seen many women on here suffer from OHSS with low AFCs. There is no way to tell until you do it, so please don't get too stressed out about it :) (I certainly was, it drove me crazy..and after the fact I kept thinking that I stressed for absolutely no reason).

#7 amp77

amp77
  • 1000+
  • 2746 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 29 April 2014 - 04:03 PM

I don't know if I told this to you previously or somebody else (I remember having a very similar conversation a few weeks ago, lol), but I'm the perfect example that what doctors predict doesn't always become true wink.png

Yes, I've done 2 IVF cycles already. I also have very high AFCs (always above 30, a recent one was even way higher at 53 follicles total; AMH was never tested), and before I did my first IVF my doctor completely freaked me out about my OHSS risk. I switched clinics in the meantime and learned something very interesting - women with PCOS/PCOS-like ovaries often have an intrinsic gonadotropin resistance, which means that sometimes they will need very high dosages of IVF meds to make a decent number of follicles.

I think I'm a somewhat strange case, but for both my IVFs I started out with high antral follicle counts and ended up with relatively few eggs retrieved (6 for the first one, 9 for the second one). But I respond extremely quickly (only stimmed for 8 days total both times, last time they almost triggered me on Day 7).

Sorry to bore you with my detailed story, I thought I'd just share to illustrate that doctors can only predict so much. You might respond the way they think, or you might not at all. A high AFC doesn't necessarily mean OHSS, and on the flipside I've seen many women on here suffer from OHSS with low AFCs. There is no way to tell until you do it, so please don't get too stressed out about it smile.png (I certainly was, it drove me crazy..and after the fact I kept thinking that I stressed for absolutely no reason).

This sounds a lot like me.  I had 36 follicles and they were worried about OHSS.  I only stimmed 7 days but they only got 9 eggs.

My doctor made me stop taking ubiquinol because she didn't think my eggs needed help due to my great AMH level and high antral follicle count.  She was worried about it since there are no conclusive studies on it.  I had hubby on it but he sucks at remembering to take anything but his counts were also great... anyway, had one great blast and I am on the dreaded 2WW.

Age 40, DH 44 in Oct.

TTC on and off since 2007 before our second IVF, in 2014, brought us our beautiful son and our first FET brought us our second son in 2017.  Our family is complete!

IVF #1 - April 2014 - BFN - no frosties

IVF #2 - July 2014 - BFP - 5B-AB and 4 frosties (5B-BB, 2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

Apr. 13, 2015 - Daniel Erik was born at 5:05 am, weight 8 lbs, 13 oz, and 22" long.  He is perfect in every way.

FET #1 - September 2016 - BFP - 5B-BB and 3 frosties (2x4B-BB and 3B-BB)

June 18, 2017 - Matthew William was born at 2:46 am, weight 8 lbs, 11 oz and 21" long.  He is perfect in every way too!

#8 quandry

quandry

Basket Case

• Cyclebase
  • 6250 posts
  • Dx:DOR

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:37 PM

The naturopath on here posted about these two types of coq10...  she said 400 of the ubiquinol, or 800 of the other.  Good luck (I'm sure if you search the forum you'll find the naturopath's post.

See about me page.

#9 MandyA

MandyA
  • 54 posts
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 29 April 2014 - 06:48 PM

I'm currently taking 100mg a day of ubiquinol, at least until I'm told to take more... on a somewhat unrelated note, I've read that at 200mg, ubiquinol can help with hypertension, which is good, because I wouldn't mind getting off (or at least decreasing) the Labetalol (Trandate) 200 mg/day I'm prescribed.

See my "About Me" page.  smile.png 

Help us afford IVF: http://www.youcaring.com/roys

I have a Fertility Feelings Facebook group:  https://www.facebook...47599005269377/

TL:DR: I'm 38.  Husband's 42.

Husband had seminoma (testicular cancer) at 27, orchiectomy of one, no chemo first time, all gone as of 2009 CT scan.

Began dating July 2012.

Targeting fertile window since July 2013, had a donated vial of sperm for an unmedicated IUI (2015) and several informal private known donors, all unsuccessful so far.

Married July 4th, 2016.

Discovered seminoma recurred Jan 2017 in his abdomen. Had chemo in April 2017. Tumor shrunk significantly.

Diagnosis: Severely low sperm count, and now sterile indefinitely due to chemo.

We have 8 vials of sperm frozen at the local clinic. Considering a move to QC or ON for at least partial funding, or looking at mini IVF.

#10 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:42 AM

This sounds a lot like me.  I had 36 follicles and they were worried about OHSS.  I only stimmed 7 days but they only got 9 eggs.

My doctor made me stop taking ubiquinol because she didn't think my eggs needed help due to my great AMH level and high antral follicle count.  She was worried about it since there are no conclusive studies on it.  I had hubby on it but he sucks at remembering to take anything but his counts were also great... anyway, had one great blast and I am on the dreaded 2WW.

Yes, definitely sounds like we had a similar response. I don't think it's super common among women with PCO-type ovaries, but it does happen to some. Good luck with your TWW!

I do have to say - I didn't take ubiquinol for my first IVF cycle but did take it for my 2nd one, and the 2nd one went way better. But - I can't really say that it was purely the CoQ10, as the first one was a complete bust as I was on the wrong dosages of IVF meds, and I think it was mostly this which resulted in the crappy outcome. But who knows. Our embryo quality from the 2st cycle was really bad, and much better for the 2nd one, and there was some speculation that egg quality was bad during the 1st cycle. But then again, that could have been because of the wrong IVF protocol.

• amp77 likes this

#11 Clairey

Clairey
  • Global 100+
  • 249 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 30 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

Do you stay on Ubiquinol if pregnancy is achieved? Would it be harmful to suddenly take all those "healthy cell" pills a day?

Just curious for the hopeful future... I know it's worth it, but since it's expensive, it would be good to budget in another 9 months from whenever pregnancy is achieved if that's the case.

#12 Merry33

Merry33
  • 1000+
  • 1208 posts

Posted 30 April 2014 - 09:03 PM

No, you stop when\if you're pregnant. It's role is to improve egg quality. You won't need good eggs if you're pregnant.

#13 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 May 2014 - 03:16 PM

Thanks ladies for your info and input.

Merry33 - thanks for that info, it's really appreciated! I am absolutely petrified about OHSS especially when they spoke of how high my risks were to getting it. They spoke of doing an antagonist protocol with about 10 days of stims with an alternate trigger to 'completely remove' the possibility of OHSS.

Okay I know I'm getting totally off base here, but seeing as we are speaking of OHSS, could any of you ladies help with the following, especially any with a high AFC, AMH levels and/or OHSS risks:

I was also informed of two different things with regards to stim protocol info.... could anyone clarify for this newbie what the difference is:

1. Suggested a "short protocol using Bravelle (FSH) and Menopur (FSH and micro dose HCG)".

2. Using a "blend of medications, both are common and FSH and a purified form known as an HMG. The second one also has LH activity, which is important for the latter part of the follicle development".

Does both 1 and 2 statements mean the same thing? The HCG and HMG is what is also making me confused.

I really wish they would go into more detail about this stuff for those of us that would like it... not everyone wants meds shoved our way and trust to just take it with minimal information or knowledge, especially with the OHSS fear in the back of my mind.

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

#14 MandyA

MandyA
  • 54 posts
  • My Clinic:AART

Posted 01 May 2014 - 05:05 PM

It's my understanding that ubiquinol is good for those 35+ because CoQ10 isn't produced by the body as you age, ubiqiunol is more bioavailable, and, as I mentioned, it's also good for hypertension, so in this case I think it would just mean a decrease in dosage.

See my "About Me" page.  smile.png 

Help us afford IVF: http://www.youcaring.com/roys

I have a Fertility Feelings Facebook group:  https://www.facebook...47599005269377/

TL:DR: I'm 38.  Husband's 42.

Husband had seminoma (testicular cancer) at 27, orchiectomy of one, no chemo first time, all gone as of 2009 CT scan.

Began dating July 2012.

Targeting fertile window since July 2013, had a donated vial of sperm for an unmedicated IUI (2015) and several informal private known donors, all unsuccessful so far.

Married July 4th, 2016.

Discovered seminoma recurred Jan 2017 in his abdomen. Had chemo in April 2017. Tumor shrunk significantly.

Diagnosis: Severely low sperm count, and now sterile indefinitely due to chemo.

We have 8 vials of sperm frozen at the local clinic. Considering a move to QC or ON for at least partial funding, or looking at mini IVF.

#15 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 03 May 2014 - 05:35 PM

Hi Trying,

It depends on what you are doing overall for egg quality and of course the level of DOR!  If the DOR is severe it is better to go higher!  If not, you can go lower.  I usually would go with 400mg of Ubiquinol and 800 of CoQ.  Over the past year or so I've experimented with lower doses of ubiquinol - 300mg, and have found that this seems to work almost as well.  Just thought I would share with you. 

Have a wonderful weekend and thanks for your question! 

Dr. Fiona

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#16 TryingForOur2ndChild

TryingForOur2ndChild
  • Global 100+
  • 791 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

Dr. Fiona - what does DOR mean?

In general I'm taking CoQ10 ubiquinol to improve egg quality for possible IVF. I have PCOS-like ovaries so even though I know there's quantity there, I'd like to do whatever I can to improve the quality.

About Us:

~ 2014 ~ IVF Cycle #1:

Cycle Info:

- Antagonist protocol

Cycle Info:

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: suppliments, fertility, ivf, coq10