Odd symptom when walking - Yoga, Nutrition and Fitness for Fertility - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Odd symptom when walking

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 02 July 2006 - 10:42 AM

I'm training for the Walk to End Breast Cancer in August. My training walks are anywhere from 1.5 hours to 3 hours right now. I am perplexed by a seemingly minor issue and wonder if anyone has heard of this or knows what is causing it. After about a half hour of walking I get stiffness in my right hand, particularly in the fingers. At first I thought I was clenching my hand or something to cause it. Recently I have been very careful not to clench or do anything out of the ordinary with it but it still gets stiff. Could this be a back issue? I do get minor stiffness in my lower back but I believe just about everyone does when distance walking.

Any insight is appreciated.

• Validating
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 03:57 PM

rick put the backs of your palms together with elbows at right angles (hands will point down, arms in frot of you) does this hurt? if yes you could have carpal tunnel. Lorretta

#3 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 10:28 PM

Hi Loretta. I tried it and get a slight twinge in my wrist. However, I hurt that wrist playing golf a few weeks ago and this started before I hurt my wrist. I wonder if it is all related and the golf aggravated it more.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 10:09 AM

Hi Rick!

Are you getting swelling in your fingers as well, or just the stiffness? The heat makes my finers turn into sausages when I'm out for a walk or a run, and they feel stiff too. I have wondered if it is hydration related.

Cheers,
Heather

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 04 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

Hi Rick.

Do you have pain in your fingers, or just stiffness?

I have pain that shoots down my left arm - I've been told I likely have a pinched nerve somewhere in my back or neck. The doctor said if I had had the pain shoot down my fingers, the diagnosis would still have been a pinched nerve, but from a different point of origin (from my elbow maybe?).

Hope you're better soon and congrats on your training for the worthy event!!

Jillie

#6 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 12:03 AM

Thanks Jillie. You're right, it's a great cause. I also knew if I signed up for this it would get me off my ass. It's not painful at all just stiff (fingers, not the ass lol). Backs can do funny things, sending sensations just about anywhere it seems.

Heather, yes I think my fingers get alittle plump. Maybe I'll try a sport drink before going (I usually carry water with me as well) to see if it makes a difference.

#7 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 05 July 2006 - 11:19 PM

I mentioned it to another walker today and right away he said it's from blood flowing to the fingers from the arm motion. He even asked if my fingers felt cold, which they do. He was quite certain about it. Looks like the mystery is solved.

• Validating
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 808 posts

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:53 AM

Sounds like everything's a-okay!

Keep up the good work! :dance:

Jillie

#9 jaan

jaan
  • 1000+
  • 3798 posts
  • Interests:cross -stitch,scrap booking, movies,reading