• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Pacific fertility clinic

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:50 AM

I'm 36, start the antagonist protocol tomorrow: 300 Follitism and low-dose HCG. I've been taking DHEA per my RE for the last 4 months. My AFC is 7, FSH 10.5, and AMH 0.34. My partner's labs are all normal. My RE has warned us that we may have to cycle twice to get enough eggs to send for genetic testing. Hoping to hear success stories, advice, and anything else you have to offer. We will be doing assisted hatching.

#2 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts
  • Interests:Outdoor sports and activities of all types.
    Kids, sewing, photography, cooking, growing stuff in my garden.
  • My Clinic:Victoria Fertility Centre

Posted 06 March 2014 - 10:26 AM

All the best to you! Remember a couple of good quality eggs is better than a whole crop of low quality ones.
  • rokgerl, quandry and manhattangirl like this

Unexplained IF/ DOR. Began TTC in 2008.
After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013
My heart couldn't be more full :)

Full details are now in my profile "About Me" page

#3 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:31 PM

Thanks for the encouragement Silverdollar! So amazed by your story, and happy for you that your dream came true! Can I ask you what antagonist protocol you were on?

#4 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 07:44 PM

Luteal phase estrogen priming with antagonist protocol. It's not usually the first one the RE's try, but if other things don't work it can be something to try.

After a wild and crazy ride on the treatment train, our baby GIRL arrived on Jan 6, 2012
Hold on.... Surprise spontaneous just 7 months postpartum while still breastfeeding!!! Baby boy born May 2, 2013

#5 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 08:17 PM

Antagonist, so was it Follitism and HCG, then Ganarelix? I'm new to this:)

#6 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:15 PM

I took Estrace between my ovulation and period on the cycle before the IVF cycle. I started with stim drugs (Gonal F & Menopur) on my day 3, then they monitored the follicles and my blood levels and added Cetrotide (an antagonist) on about day 9 to prevent early ovulation. Once everything was looking right they do the egg retrieval and fertilize the eggs to hopefully grow into embryos. I did a 3 day embryo transfer.

#7 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 06 March 2014 - 09:56 PM

Thanks for the info:) I start stims tomorrow, hoping for the best. Good luck to you too!

#8 Arlene Preddie

Arlene Preddie
  • 100++
  • 188 posts
  • Interests:Services: Mediation, Immigration, Psychotherapy and Insurance assistance to the NY, NJ Bar and the Law Society of Upper Canada
    Arlene C. Preddie, Esq. formerly nervous wreck on iva.ca
    Weddings For The Barefoot And Pregnant
    58 Carmine Crescent St. Catharines, Ontario L2S 3M5 (905) 984-5230
    wftbp.wordpress.com
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:Previously Mt. Sinai & Create

Posted 07 March 2014 - 07:36 PM

Hi PP Good luck with your cycle. I'm just curious is genetic testing standard at your clinic? I'm not accustomed to hearing of patients having it done as there is cause for concern.

Former User Name: Nervous Wreck

FSH: 8

AMH: 8

Acupuncture: weekly

Chiropractor: 3x per week. Dr. Sly Etobicoke http://americanpregn...iropractic.html

3 Fibroids (10 cm, 3cm, 2cm)

SUPPLEMENTS

Prenatal, NAC, Alpha Lipoic Acid, Cenitol, Folapro, Rhodiola & Ginseng (by Medi Herb for cortisol support), Serracel, Omega 3-6-9, King of Codyceps, Chaga (oriveda),  Thyro-Gold, Cerebrovital PQQ-10

Consult @ Mt. Sinai 1/31/2013

polyp removed 4/24/2013

HSG 5/2013 tubes open, but same 2cm fibroid and possibly scar tissue (endo?)

5/2013 consult with Create another hysteroscopy scheduled to see if fibroid removal is necessary/possible

5/2013 consult with Dr. Fiona (fertility naturopath)

5/29/2013 2nd hysteroscopy @ Create polyp found and removed. 2cm fibroid not seen (huh? how did that happen)

IUI#1: was hoping for May 2013 now going straight to IVF

6/12/2013 started Lupron injections

6/21/2013 (AF arrives on time for the 2nd time in 28 years)

6/22/2013 go in for cycle monitoring WTF

6/23/2013 stop Lupron and convert to IUI with Gonal F

7/3/2013 6 follicles (yawn I'm still skeptical)

7/5/2013 IUI#1

7/6/2013 IUI# 2 (double yawn)

#9 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 08 March 2014 - 01:08 AM

Nervous, it's not required but highly recommended at my clinic. Our RE says if we have a chromosomally-sound egg, we have a 70% chance of success. It's better to implant a healthy egg than an abnormal one, and miscarry later:/ Sounds like you've had a rough path. I'm sorry, it's really grueling, and a bit of a roller caster. Have you tried acupuncture, really helps me relax and it helps with egg quality.

#10 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 03:20 PM

Just saw my doctor for my day 6 appointment (started stims 3/7). He saw only 1 follicle in my right ovary, and 4-5 in my left ovary. All of the follicles are 7-8 mm, with the exception of 1 which is 13-14 mm ( he thinks that egg is abnormal). I'm taking 300 IU Follitism and 0.3 ml low-dose HCG. I am scheduled to start Ganarelix tomorrow so that the large follicle doesn't ovulate. My doc feels that the 5-6 eggs is lower than even what he expected before I started meds (6-7 follicles). My follow-up appointment is on Friday. I'm worried, and not feeling very hopeful right now. Do any of you that have been in my situation have similar stories? Success? Thank you:)

#11 juju_montreal

juju_montreal
  • Global 100+
  • 289 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:McGill, Montreal

Posted 12 March 2014 - 06:42 PM

I dont know when your ER is, but at my first ivf they saw about 6-7 follicles on day 8 (i didn't know what to expect - i think i was imagining in the 20's so i was very deflated ! ) and by the ER 3 days later they retrieved about double that... So dont lose hope! The trigger shot gives a huge push as well (if they use HCG).

Good luck!
me: 37, DH: 38 39
TTC: 2 years + 2.5 years

summer 2013: 2 cycles clomid + ovidrel, no luck

IVF # 1:sept 2013: IVF cycle on short protocol low dose as my doctor thought I might overstimulate, 13 follicles, 6 mature, all 6 fertilized, 1 grade A embryo, no frozen, day-3 transfer, BFN

IVF # 2 :nov 2013: IVF cycle on short protocol with increased dosage, 14 follicles, 10 mature, 6 fertilized, 2 grade A embryos. cycle interrupted because of suspected uterus polyp. 2 embryos frozen on day 6.

IVF # 3: feb 2014: FET cycle, lining 9mm ++, transfer on day 18 of 6-day hatching embryo. BFN on day 30.

IVF # 4: aug 2014: FET cycle - our last frozen embryo... :( taking estrace and crinone, lining 9mm+ ... transfer on aug. 22, BFP !!!! on sept. 2 !! HCG 285

u/s #1 sept. 16th (6 wks) - everything looking as it should, heartbeat, embryo measuring 6w3d, looking healthy !!! is this really happening ?

first OB appointment october 9th... hopefully this keeps going and growing !!!

l8Y5m4.png

#12 silverdollar

silverdollar
  • Cyclebase
  • 3483 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:01 PM

I had only 3 follicles during my successful cycle. 2 had viable eggs and we got 2 good embryos and one turned into a baby. Hang in there. Quality over quantity.
  • manhattangirl likes this

#13 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 08:12 PM

Juju, thank you, that really helps to know! I will be using HCG as my trigger. My ER should be Tuesday or Wednesday. Silverdollar, thank you for sharing, makes me hopeful again to hear your stories. I really appreciate you sharing:). I'll keep your words in mind when I go for my appointment on Friday.

#14 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 March 2014 - 07:32 PM

Went in for my 7 day check-up. My RE thinks what looked like a dominant follicle, may in fact be a cyst. The other follicles in that left ovary are 9-11 mm. He would've liked them to be 12 mm, but close enough. ER will most likely be next Wednesday or Thursday, to allow them time to catch up. Feeling positive today, thank you for the reassurance and great info you have shared❤️

#15 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 17 March 2014 - 11:23 AM

Well, as of today, it looks like only 3 will make it to retrieval (had anticipated 6 to start with, and the numbers began dropping with each subsequent appointment). I will stim for one more day (11 days total), and then will most likely trigger tomorrow. There are 3 other follicles that are only measuring 11 mm today, so those won't have a chance to catch up according to the RE. Trying to be hopeful:) . . . 

#16 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 02:02 PM

Just got back from a visit with my RE. I have 5 follicles: 14-17 mm! Like will trigger tonight with HCG, and have my retrieval scheduled for this Thursday. I'm excited and scared. I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian and afraid I may have not had enough protein to support normal egg growth. I spoke with the nurse about this, and she assured me that antioxidant consumption is the most important thing.. If any grow to blast, we will be sending them for PGD. I'll keep you posted!
  • leigh14 and silverdollar like this

#17 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:27 PM

Just got back from a visit with my RE. I have 5 follicles: 14-17 mm! Like will trigger tonight with HCG, and have my retrieval scheduled for this Thursday. I'm excited and scared. I'm ovo-lacto vegetarian and afraid I may have not had enough protein to support normal egg growth. I spoke with the nurse about this, and she assured me that antioxidant consumption is the most important thing.. If any grow to blast, we will be sending them for PGD. I'll keep you posted! 

My advice - and I'm not an RE - just been around the block a few times - I'd hate for you to have done all this and not be able to get to a transfer - if you end up with 5 follicles that all contain mature eggs, they may not all fertilize.  Assuming you get 4 embryos - they may not all make it to day 3, let alone day 5.  My RE believes embryos do best in their natural environment - if it were me, and I had 2-4 embryos left on day 3, I'd probably put them all back and hope that one is normal and survives.  If you have 4 embryos and 3-4 still surviving on day 3, I'd be scared to allow them to go to day 5 just to do PGD.  What if none make it to day 5?  It does not mean that none would have made a healthy baby.  Even embryos that have had PGD can be miscarried (through no fault of the mother) - there could still be chromosome issues.

Good luck - I hope it all works out for you but please do consider what may happen on day 3 - how many embryos you have at that point - and consider what to do then - too much planning in advance can make it difficult to go with the flow as things change.

#18 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:39 PM

Thank you for the input Sharlene. We decided to do PGD bc it feels like better choice than getting pregnant with a baby that will have chromosomal anomalies, bc we would likely miscarry if there were chromosomal anomalies, and bc our success rate increased to 70% if it's a normal embryo. You definitely bring up good points. I'll discuss it with my partner tonight. Thank you Sharlene:)

#19 sharlene

sharlene
  • Cyclebase
  • 1737 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:USA

Posted 18 March 2014 - 04:56 PM

I completely wanted to do PGD after my first IVF when I had a miscarriage (had the fetal material examined and it was chromosomally abnormal) - but then when I had 4 embryos created at my next IVF, I would not take the chance that PGD can destroy an embryo or be wrong - (both can happen though it is uncommon) - I couldn't risk that - so I put back what I had left on day 3 - and I have a son. 

My last IVF, I had 3 embryos on day 2 - I put them both back.  None took.  If I take another chance on another IVF, I'd put back whatever I have on day 2 or 3 - but I'm also a lot older than you - I'm not worried about multiples - and I know I have a high miscarriage rate even if I get pregnant - but I would rather that than risk what might be a good embryo.  I would not wait until day 5 if you are only showing 5 follicles right now.  I think it is a falsehood when people say that if none survived until day 5, then there were none that would have been babies - of course it is impossible to know - I'll never know if the embryo I put back on day 3 (that became my son) would have made it to day 5 in the lab.  But with only 2 embryos left on day 3, I was not going to take that risk.  I'd rather have a miscarriage then nothing to transfer - at least I know I gave it (the embryo(s)) a shot. 

• want2babies likes this

#20 leigh14

leigh14
  • Cyclebase
  • 1454 posts
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Markham

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Positive Patty, I think that things are looking very positive for you! :)  I was in a similar boat on my second cycle with 5 eggs retrieved. In that cycle I had 4 mature eggs.  All fertilized and we did a day 5 transfer of 2 blasts. The low numbers made me very, very nervous as I was SOOOOO afraid we would have nothing to transfer but the doctor at that particular clinic believed very strongly in day 5 transfers. We got to the clinic and I remember feeling so relieved that we had two!  That particular cycle did result in pregnancy but I had a missed miscarriage. I never had any testing done when I had my D & C so I don't know definitely the cause of the miscarriage. BUT...I later had immunological testing done and some immunological factors could have definitely contributed. Anyways, despite the heartbreak of that cycle it was valuable as it gave us some info. about our embryos and the fact that we could get blastocysts. On my last cycle, which resulted in my daughter, I only had two eggs retrieved and we did a 3 day transfer of both eggs.  I was worried that the 3 day transfer wouldn't be as successful since I'd gotten PG with a 5 day transfer previously. But the nice thing about a 3 day transfer is that it was a lot less stressful for me--there was far less waiting and I kind of felt like my embryos were back "home." 

Best of luck to you! I'm sure that your RE will help guide you in your decisions re: Transfer day and PGD, if you elect to do it.

Leigh

Me: 40
Dx: DH: Vasectomy; need IVF/ICSI ME: D.O.R. and many immunological issues. (Initially presented as "normal" but issues were only discovered after IVF attempt #2 and #3 after testing at new clinic)
IVF attempt #1 Nov.2009, Age 37: Long "Lupron" protocol
Dec.2009: Cycle cancelled due to oversuppression
IVF attempt #2, Age 38: April 2010: 3 eggs retrieved, 2 mature, 2 fertilized, ET of 2 embryos BFN
IVF atempt #3 at new clinic: November 2010, Age 38: 5 eggs retrieved, 4 mature, 4 fertilized, ET of 2 blastocysts BFP
Strong beta numbers but babies not measuring on track but one heartbeat is present. Followup u/s reveals no HB's :( Had D&C--so sad.
Moved to new clinic closer to home + more of a focus on testing for potential immunological factors:
Further testing reveals three mutations related to inherited thrombophilia (2 MTHFR mutations and PA1-1 mutation), positive ANA, elevated NK cells and cytokines and low levels of leukocyte antibodies (LADS), Recommended Immunological treatment: Humira, LIT, IVig and blood thinners if PG
IVF Protocol: Low stim for me/ TESE needed for DH; took Humira in late August and early September; taking DHEA plus Co-Enzyme Q10, vitamins for DH just for good measure! September--two trips to Mexico for LIT treatment, treatments 3 weeks apart
Initial re-testing through Alan Beer Centre after some of the immune treatments reveals only cytokines were lowered, NKs still high and LAD numbers still low. Another LIT in Mexico is recommended. We decide to begin cycle on doctor's recommendation of just doing IVIG.
IVF#4, Age 39 : November 2011: Worst AFC EVER--a whopping 4! Three follicles responded, two eggs were retrieved. Three day transfer of two Grade 1 8 cell embryos: "Fahita" & "Burrito" Stick, stick, stick little ones!
BFP! Beta of 569
Viability u/s at 6 w 2d shows TWO babies measuring on track with heartbeats of 121. Looks like babies might be sharing the same amniotic sac.
Second u/s at 7w 2 d shows ONE baby with hb of 150, measuring 7 w 3 days. No sign of twin. Vanishing twin syndrome?
Third u/s at 8 w 2d shows ONE baby with hb of 170, measuring 8 w 3 days. Looks like a little jellybean!
12 week u/s at 12 w 2 days and baby is measuring 12 w 5 days with a heart beat of 150. Baby mooned us and waved at us with one hand....looked like a "royal" wave to me!
13 week doctor's appointment, HB=155 on doppler
14 week u/s to check cervix, HB=148
16 week u/s to check cervix, HB=138, baby had hiccups!
20 week u/s--everything looks good! HB=130, looks like we're having a GIRL!
IPS results very good!
39 weeks: Our baby girl arrived!!! She is healthy and beautiful! We are so happy! :)

Lilypie Maternity tickers

#21 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 18 March 2014 - 08:45 PM

Hi ladies, I'm new to IVF and just trying to educate myself with all of the different protocols, meds, etc.  Do you any of you ladies know why a RE would recommend an estrogen priming antagonist protocol vs. antagonist protocol alone (start with bcp and move to stims)?  Are there any other types of antagonist protocols?

Me: 32, DH: 34

#22 Positivepatty

Positivepatty
  • 53 posts

Posted 18 March 2014 - 09:12 PM

Great points Sharlene, once we see if any survive the 5-day wait, we will have a lot to talk about with our RE. Because I will have to have the endometrial scratch, the opportunity of a fresh transfer isn't an option, so either way we will be doing a FET. Still remains to be seen if we will have enough to PGD. My RE would be happy sending off 2 to PGD. We shall see, very scary this waiting game. Thank you for the support:) Congrats on your gift, a healthy son. Your story inspires me!

Leigh, thank you for sharing your experience. It's def a lot to consider as far as PGE. I don't think I will every have a better outcome than 5 follicles, as my AMH is 0.34, so this is a lot to mull over. I sure hope at least 2 make it, if not it's time to chat with our RE again!

#23 manhattangirl

manhattangirl
  • Global 100+
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:29 PM

My acupuncturist also stated that protein is very important.  There are other sources of protein besides animals.  Try nuts and beans and seeds.

Me 41, Husband 38

DX:  AMA, DOR

TTC since 5/27/15

Egg freezing: March 2014

7/2/16- natural BFP

#24 manhattangirl

manhattangirl
  • Global 100+
  • 183 posts

Posted 29 March 2014 - 11:36 PM

Hi ladies, I'm new to IVF and just trying to educate myself with all of the different protocols, meds, etc.  Do you any of you ladies know why a RE would recommend an estrogen priming antagonist protocol vs. antagonist protocol alone (start with bcp and move to stims)?  Are there any other types of antagonist protocols?

I wish that I understood the protocols well enough to give you a detailed answer, but, in general the EPP is considered aggressive and is offered to women who are expected to be poor responders. 

Me 41, Husband 38

DX:  AMA, DOR

TTC since 5/27/15

Egg freezing: March 2014

7/2/16- natural BFP

#25 Positivity23

Positivity23
  • Global 100+
  • 172 posts
  • Dx:Genetic

Posted 30 March 2014 - 10:38 AM

Thanks @manhattangirl!  I know, the protocols are very complicated with their own nuances. . . thanks for your insight re: EPP!!

Me: 32, DH: 34

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: IVF, DOR, DHEA, AMA