• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 yellowrose

yellowrose
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:NL Fertility Services

Posted 10 February 2014 - 09:46 AM

My partner and I are dealing with MFI and while we are waiting for more tests here in Newfoundland, we are looking into clinics. Right now we are looking at Conceptia in New Brunswick because it is close and will be our cheapest travel alternative. I would love any advice or stories anyone may have about this clinic. 

Thanks! :)

#2 Baby-Baby

Baby-Baby
  • 13 posts
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:CHUM - switched from Ovo

Posted 15 February 2014 - 10:38 AM

Hi,

I can't give you any advice about clinics in NFLD or NB (I'm in Quebec) but I can tell you it's really important that you are very comfortable with the clinic you choose. My first clinic in Ontario was private and they were really nice. You could call the nurses almost any time and you really felt like it was a team atmosphere. When I moved back to Quebec I expected the same treatment at my 2nd clinic but boy oh boy was I wrong. Quebec went public for fertility in 2010 and the difference was ridiculous. The nurses called you back in 2 days if you were lucky, you never got the same doctor, no one knew what was going on with your file so you really had to pay close attention and monitor your own health (which you should do anyway). I felt like I was constantly fighting with them for help and it was totally stressful so a year into it I left and followed my doctor to a different clinic which was still public but a different concept in the way they manage patients and I've been really happy there. I'm doing my stims now and I had a problem yesterday and the nurse called me back within an hour of me leaving a message and the doctors all work together so they all know about your file and it's just a much different feeling.

My best advice when you do find a clinic is make friends with 1 or 2 key administrative people and a nurse who can help you when you are uncertain about something. If they have a rapport with you, they will likely help you when you need it.

Good luck!!!

Me:
-Discovered stage 3 endometriosis in 2000
-4 laparoscopies and then decided 10/2009 to have a baby on my own (no DH)
-4 IUI with Clomid, GonalF and Puregon BFN
-Moved to Montreal and changed clinics
-Started an IUI 7/2010 and switched mid cycle to IVF - BFN
-Another IVF cycle with 19 follicls retrieved, 3 embies
-Transfered 1 BFNth_abfn.gif
-Waiting for a FET in the next few months

-Last transfer BFNth_abfn.gif

1.5 year break

-New cycle

-8 months of Lupron

-Cyst between ovaries present but no threat to IVF

-Started 600 Gonal F, 300 Luveris, 225 Saizen

-ER maybe 2/24/14

#3 summer2014

summer2014
  • 25 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:NLFS Newfoundland/RFP Calgary

Posted 28 April 2014 - 04:39 PM

Hi Yellowrose,

I'm new to this forum, just joined today :)

I'm also a patient at NLFS and now newly referred for IVF (tubal issues).  I debated on clinics as well, I thought hard about AART in Halifax as it's so close and more convenient, but when I talked to Dr. H about it she highly recommended Foothills in Calgary.  Apparently AART has a comparable success rate for fresh ivf cycles, but their FET success is lower.

I know this doesn't offer much help.  We didn't look into clinics in NB.  But just wanted to say 'Hi' and wish you luck in making the big decision.

4 IUIs, 1 ectopic bfp, moving on to IVF in 2014
Referral to Foothills - April 23, 2014
On the waitlist May 1
Currently awaiting further instruction...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clinic c, conceptia, new brunswick