1178 replies to this topic

#26 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Heartland/ Now VFC!!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:55 PM

It could just be they were booked solid with appts for the lab, which would make sense since Sue had told me that they cycle 11 months out of the year. Which I'm ok with since I was able to get Mark in for his pre-op physical for next week Friday which means it should be sent off Monday so we should be able to get in for the TESE end of this month. I'm also going to sign us up on the wait list on the 10th if I can, I'm tired of waiting!!! Oh yeah, you all know that already, lol, I think we're all tired.

Cutie how did it end up costing 4K?! Maples fees were just under $2K and Machmahons was $630 and I would assume HL has a fee for processing but we don't know what that is, maybe I should phone them. According to their site the TESE processing is $600 and the freeze is $300 per sample. Does anyone know if that's per vial? Crap it could cost a fortune if there's say 5 or 6 vials. OY!!! Oh and let's not forget the wonderful $250 for storage yet too. And there you have it folks, almost $4k!!! OMG!! Thanks for the heads up Cutie.

Apparently having the partner transport the sample isn't all that unusual, I've heard a few ladies say the same thing in different parts of the world, so that's good. But seriously at almost $4K, if it wasn't for my blocked tube I think we'd be signing up for another reversal as it's only $3K in the states. Damn my blocked tube!!!

jgk I can't wait for your cycle!!! I have a good feeling that it'll be amazing!!! Almost there.

Me 35, DH 39, DS 1-18, DS 2-16, m/c July 1999 and Oct 2015, failed reversal. See about me page for history.

#27 Cutie6

Cutie6
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Hot Yoga
  • My Clinic:1st Heartland, 2nd VFC

Posted 06 February 2014 - 01:21 PM

Pearljam- Yes the urologist was 630- Maples was around 1936ish i think and then HL was $1500..... We were able to get 4 vials... i am pretty sure they don't charge you per vial as i had to pay the fee when i went to pick up the "media" the morning of the procedure. My concern about being the transporter was the time it takes from Maple to HL.... It was lunch hour so i was really nervous. My mom came with me and drove. I am pretty sure we were speeding the whole way... LOL

That would be great if they were able to get you guys in for the procedure at the end of this month!  I remember being completely angry and upset about our wait to get in. We had to wait like 5 months. The problem was HL not being available in the summer months....

I am hoping this all goes well for you :) Hopefully you don't have to go through all this- hoping for a successful day for you guys on the 10th!!

• pearljam1997 likes this

#28 Cdnbabe

Cdnbabe
  • Global 100+
  • 662 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Was HL but moved on to VFC!!!!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 02:54 PM

Just for everyone's information!!!!! I called the clinic today they are not shut down for March. I was very concerned as we are possibly doing our FET In march. They said all is good and I can still do it in march. She said they shut down a bit in July but that's it. Just wanted to let everyone know!!!!

#29 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 05:30 PM

Thanks Cdnbabe!! The urologists receptionist just said they're not taking any appts in March so that had me concerned, but glad to hear things are still a go over there. 

I really need to call them and find out what the cost will be for another cycle, with the TESE, if we need it, we're looking at around $15K for another cycle blink.png  

Me 35, DH 39, DS 1-18, DS 2-16, m/c July 1999 and Oct 2015, failed reversal. See about me page for history.

#30 Cdnbabe

Cdnbabe
  • Global 100+
  • 662 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:09 PM

Has anyone done taxes before for the credit? Is it 40% back of what we spent? Is it hard to do your own taxes using ufile or turbo tax with all these medical/fertility credits?? I'm just debating taking all my stuff in to an accountant.

#31 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:32 AM

It's really quite simple with turbo tax, as long as you get the standard version and not the basic, you'll get more of a walk through with it. All you have to do is check the Fertility Tax Credit box and eventually it'll ask you to enter your numbers. Now don't forget to enter it into the medical part as well, and yes this is what you're supposed to do, it's not double dipping, lol. It's how you get back the 66% total which is stated on the HL site. I do taxes every year for various friends and family and have looked into this and it is relatively simple. Oh and if you live outside of Winnipeg you can claim all your fuel and one meal per person for every day you were in for an appt. If anyone has any more questions about it feel free to ask and I'll help as best as I can. 

#32 Cdnbabe

Cdnbabe
  • Global 100+
  • 662 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 07:22 AM

Pearljam- I sent you a message!!!!

#33 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 12:38 PM

Just thought I'd share with you ladies off the Revenue Canada's site on calculating your expenses for travel and such. Be sure to claim everything in BOTH places to maximize your benefits. 

http://www.cra-arc.g...55/rts-eng.html

#34 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:11 PM

So I just added up our appts and stuff from last year and it's definitely best to claim maximum amount for meals and to do the 47.5 cents per kilometer and then just google map the kilometers. You'll get far more back than what you actually spent and they don't require any receipts, if they ask for anything they may ask for proof of those appts, which would be as simple as a letter from what ever clinic you went to. Hope that helps ladies!!

#35 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:46 PM

Surgery was a success!!! Can't believe how incredible the FCC was...right down to the heart embalmed baby powder scented to in my own private bathroom...in my own room...where my Mom sat in a big lazy-boy beside me with a flat screen to keep herself busy with. If anyone is ever interested to hear more (place was full of Cdns & Americans) while I was there..pm me and I'll pass on my phone number. Hoping everyone is doing well! Hugs!!!
  • pearljam1997 and jgk like this
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#36 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 08 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

Sorry auto correct...toilet paper embalmed with hearts and scented like baby powder...tough not to pass on that detail. ;)
It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#37 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 12:56 PM

CdnHockeyGal glad everything went well and they are as wonderful as I've read. Hope you make a quick recovery. 

So tomorrow we have our SA at HL. I'm nervous, I really don't want DH to go through the TESE, it looks painful and he's already done SO much for us, I feel guilty already. UGH!! this road sucks. 

• CdnHockeyGal and Cutie6 like this

#38 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 09 February 2014 - 04:40 PM

Fingers crossed for younPearlJam!

#39 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 04:58 PM

So our sample today show's no change from three weeks ago, so TESE it is. Going to have the pre-op filled out on Friday and hopefully get our surgery date for the end of the month on Monday. 

#40 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:05 PM

So sorry PearlJam - I know that's not what you had been hoping to hear. Hugs!

#41 jgk

jgk
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

That sucks, pearljam. Sorry to hear that. Glad to hear you've got plan b in place. Actually, by this point it's probably plan xyz for all of us here!
  • pearljam1997 and CdnHockeyGal like this

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
-Leon J. Suenes

#42 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 10 February 2014 - 05:09 PM

Meh, I'm ok, it's what we expected. Of course we'd hoped for better but it is what it is and we can't change it. 

I forgot to mention though that we can cycle asap. They said they actually had openings they were trying to fill because some couples hadn't gotten all their tests done yet so once we have our TESE date I can call the nurses and get put on the list. It will probably be birth control in March with an April retrieval date. So silver lining!!!!

#43 Kysha

Kysha
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Heartland, switched to VFC

Posted 11 February 2014 - 08:32 PM

So, today we had an appoinment with Dr Mctavish, he told us dr Elliot is moving to toronto in June and there is a lady Dr coming to join the team in September.
Anyway, Our plan is to remove my tubes if the frozen will not be successful. 4 weeks recovery then ivf # 2. More waiting again :(

Cndbabe, glad to hear the surgery went well. How long do you have to recover? Are you gonna start cycling right away?

Pearljam, I hope you guys can make everything ready for your next cycle soon.
  • pearljam1997 and CdnHockeyGal like this
Me - 35, blocked tubes both removed, endo, scar tissues, DOR
Dh - 33 healthy

IVF # 1 -January 2014, Antagonist protocol 150iu menopur, 150iu bravelle.

4 retrieved 3 ICSI and fertilized 1 not useable.

Transferred 2 3day embryos 1 with fragmentation 1 perfect cell.
(1 embryo made to a 6 day blast and were frozen).

Beta result BFN

March - transferred frozen embryo - BFN

Planning to switch to VFC but also on a list for a surgery to remove both tubes. The wait for surgery is 4 to 6 months ugh! Made a consultation appointment with Dr. H. Consultation scheduled in AugustSurgery done in July.
Decided to stay in the same clinic. Cancelled appointment with VFC.

IVF # 2September 2014, Marvelon for 35 days, antibiotics for 14 days and aspirin 81

antagonist protocol 150iu and 300iu menopur

Retrieved 8, only 4 are useable and ICSI'd. 2 were fertilized.

Transferred both on day 3 but very poor quality 1 highly fragmented 1 eight cell.

AF showed up 7 days after transfer.
Beta result- BFN heart broken.

Moving on to VFC.
Consultation date is December 18, 2014

Took vitamin supplements, DHEA and Green Smoothies everyday. As advised by Dr. H after consultation.

VFC - February/March 2015

IVF #3 - Gonal F300,Repronex 150,suprefact.

Retrieved 8, 6 Fertilized, 3 made it to day 5, transferred 1 day 5 blast grade 18, 2 were frozen.

March 20, beta result PREGNANT.

#44 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 10:38 PM

Kysha that sucks about Dr. Elliot, I liked him. Although we hardly ever saw him, twice actually. Once for my HSG and then for consent signing, that's it. 

I'm sorry you may have to have your tubes removed, are they thinking hydrosalpinx? And yes, waiting sucks so bad!!!!! I'm sorry (((((HUGS))))) Hope your FET works and you won't have to wait any longer. 

#45 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 11 February 2014 - 11:19 PM

Sorry to hear that Dr. Elliot is leaving...happy they have someone else coming...back it's still not awesome.

Recovery is kind of in stages...had the procedure on Saturday....Sunday was a total write off...Monday I was able to walk around a little bit...lay by the pool and went for dinner (very slow little old man walking) today was great...still very slow but only on occasional advils. They told me 2 weeks before resuming normal activities...3 weeks before hockey & hot yoga. I'll be in dresses for a few days because you're full of CO2 so nothing fits. They told me I could put my belly button ring back in after 1 week...LOL

Fargo wants us to wait 6 weeks post surgery before starting ivf just for everything to calm down...more waiting...but we're almost there! :)

Kysha...I don't know if you have a hydrosalpinx...but our clinic wouldn't proceed to ivf without having the tube clamped off because the success rates are close to nil if you have a hydro. It sucks I and I was a little emotional about having to have a tube tied at 35...with no babies...but best chance of success...IF stinks!

#46 Kysha

Kysha
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

Yes, I have hydrosalpinx now, but before we started ivf # 1 there was nothing in there, my tubes were blocked from scar tissue that is why Dr Mctavish wasn't concern about it but now he said for next fresh ivf he will have to remove them just to make sure it won't cause any problem with my embryo once they are in my uterus. My husband is more than OK with it Although I am a little sad. More seems to come along as we continue the ivf journey, I hope the end of this will be a happiness to all of us :)
Dh - 33 healthy

Beta result BFN

Planning to switch to VFC but also on a list for a surgery to remove both tubes. The wait for surgery is 4 to 6 months ugh! Made a consultation appointment with Dr. H. Consultation scheduled in AugustSurgery done in July.

IVF # 2September 2014, Marvelon for 35 days, antibiotics for 14 days and aspirin 81

Transferred both on day 3 but very poor quality 1 highly fragmented 1 eight cell.

Moving on to VFC.

Took vitamin supplements, DHEA and Green Smoothies everyday. As advised by Dr. H after consultation.

Retrieved 8, 6 Fertilized, 3 made it to day 5, transferred 1 day 5 blast grade 18, 2 were frozen.

#47 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 12 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Don't know if you're interested Kysha but you can get in where I got in for the hydro surgery in a week...downside is you pay for it...but...less expensive than doing ivf#2 if it could make your FET successful?

#48 Kysha

Kysha
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:21 AM

Cndhockeygal, I might consider that but not sure about DH. He is very comfortable with Dr. Mctavish because he did my two surgeries last year. I will mention that to him.

Did you have both tubes with hydro? And did you had them removed?
Dh - 33 healthy

Beta result BFN

Moving on to VFC.

#49 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:22 PM

Kysha I wish you all the best with it and just maybe that FET will be your golden ticket and then you won't have to worry about it for a  while smile.png

CdnHockey glad to hear you're healing up nicely. Can't WAIT for you to cycle!!! SO CLOSE!! We might even end up cycling together thumbup.gif

So we heard back from Dr. MacMahons office today, Mark's all booked in for his TESE on the 28th of this MONTH!!! YIPPEEEEEEEEE!!! yahoo.gif yahoo.gif yahoo.gif

I'm just waiting on HL to call me back and let me know when we can cycle again, if the lady at the front was right we can cycle March/April. Although I didn't ovulate this month, are at least haven't yet and I'm on cd17 and show no signs what so ever, so not sure what that will do, we'll have to wait and see. I'm guessing it's very normal to not ovulate after a failed cycle?

• CdnHockeyGal and Cutie6 like this

#50 Cutie6

Cutie6
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Hot Yoga
  • My Clinic:1st Heartland, 2nd VFC

Posted 13 February 2014 - 12:47 PM

pearljam- That is great that they were able to get you in for the TESE at the end of this month!!! Very happy for you :)