1178 replies to this topic

#1 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Heartland/ Now VFC!!

Posted 02 February 2014 - 01:04 AM

Just kicking off the new thread. Figures with it being Feb now we could move on. I hope that we see more BFP's from HL soon. 

So I've been doing lot's of reading on the two sperm extractions offered here, TESE and MESA and it seems MESA is better. It offers more sperm and more motile sperm which is something I'd like to see used this next time. Of course still hoping we won't need it.

• Cutie6 likes this
Me 35, DH 39, DS 1-18, DS 2-16, m/c July 1999 and Oct 2015, failed reversal. See about me page for history.

#2 Kysha

Kysha
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Heartland, switched to VFC

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:44 PM

Pearljam, did you ask HL about wait time if you cycle again? I really hope you guys can figure out soon what is best with your DH's sperm. who knows we might cycle together again and see each other in the morning monitoring at HL.
  • pearljam1997 likes this
Me - 35, blocked tubes both removed, endo, scar tissues, DOR
Dh - 33 healthy

IVF # 1 -January 2014, Antagonist protocol 150iu menopur, 150iu bravelle.

4 retrieved 3 ICSI and fertilized 1 not useable.

Transferred 2 3day embryos 1 with fragmentation 1 perfect cell.
(1 embryo made to a 6 day blast and were frozen).

Beta result BFN

March - transferred frozen embryo - BFN

Planning to switch to VFC but also on a list for a surgery to remove both tubes. The wait for surgery is 4 to 6 months ugh! Made a consultation appointment with Dr. H. Consultation scheduled in AugustSurgery done in July.
Decided to stay in the same clinic. Cancelled appointment with VFC.

IVF # 2September 2014, Marvelon for 35 days, antibiotics for 14 days and aspirin 81

antagonist protocol 150iu and 300iu menopur

Retrieved 8, only 4 are useable and ICSI'd. 2 were fertilized.

Transferred both on day 3 but very poor quality 1 highly fragmented 1 eight cell.

AF showed up 7 days after transfer.
Beta result- BFN heart broken.

Moving on to VFC.
Consultation date is December 18, 2014

Took vitamin supplements, DHEA and Green Smoothies everyday. As advised by Dr. H after consultation.

VFC - February/March 2015

IVF #3 - Gonal F300,Repronex 150,suprefact.

Retrieved 8, 6 Fertilized, 3 made it to day 5, transferred 1 day 5 blast grade 18, 2 were frozen.

March 20, beta result PREGNANT.

#3 jgk

jgk
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts
  • My Clinic:Heartland

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Good call on the new thread. Let's start off 2014 with positivity (hopefully some positive pregnancy tests too!)
Now to get all the other Ladies to come on over!
  • pearljam1997 and Cutie6 like this

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
-Leon J. Suenes

#4 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 11:53 PM

My 2014 didn't start off so shit hot but hey, it didn't fee like 2014 so that must count right icon_wink.gif

Kysha we did not ask about cycling again although we will on the 10th. I hope we're able to find some great sperm as well, hopefully the easy way!!!!! But I'm not holding my breath. 

WprGirl I don't get it, it's been the same girl at the front desk the whole time we cycled, long brown hair fairly thin, she's the one that took our payment in December and said it wasn't a problem. Wonder why the discrepancy. icon_question.gif

Ok, so on an unrelated note I love some of these emoticons and may never actually get to use them so I'm going to post some or my favorites, lol. Right now I feel like this 1087.gif  and that I could use this beach.gif and this is how our cycle went th_afan.gif and I'm SO ready to get off this rollercoaster.gif  and I'm ready for this preggo.gif

• jgk and CdnHockeyGal like this
Me 35, DH 39, DS 1-18, DS 2-16, m/c July 1999 and Oct 2015, failed reversal. See about me page for history.

#5 Thisismyusername

Thisismyusername
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:14 AM

Thanks for starting the 2014 thread pearljam. I have been a bit of a creeper on here for a few months and now decided I'd like to be part of the group.  My DH and I paid our IVF registration in December, so we should be cycling in the next few months we were told we'd likely get a call in February.

Thought I would say hello and wish everyone the best of luck in their journey, I am thankful for the opportunity to connect with others who are in the same boat. 

• pearljam1997 and CdnHockeyGal like this

#6 Cutie6

Cutie6
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts
  • Interests:Hot Yoga
  • My Clinic:1st Heartland, 2nd VFC

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:03 PM

Welcome Thisismyusername! Have you received your call from HL on when your cycling?

Jgk and myself are cycling in Feb/March :) I also at first was a creeper on the 2013 Hearland forum.. LOL

Its really nice to have the support from others and i have gotten some really good information :) I find it so much easier to relate to ppl who are in the same boat and can understand what you are going through.

Jgk- I am hoping for more positive news from this group as well! Hopefully it will be a great year for us all!!!

#7 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:26 PM

Thisis I love your name, lol, that's awesome. Welcome here and we're glad you decided to join us. I hope you get the call soon, when we paid the registration we were told 4 months till we'd get our schedule and then it was another couple of months till we'd actually start injections, but maybe they've cut down the wait times. At least I hope they have. 

#8 bobbi13

bobbi13
  • 76 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:07 PM

Thisis - I think we paid our registration at the beginning of November... Was originally told it might be april/May before we would cycle, but got the call Xmas eve that we were in for February/march -- so hopefully you get your call soon!!

Question for anyone -- since starting bcp my breasts have been crazy sore --anyone else experience the same thing? It's been so many years since I've taken bcp, that I don't remember this...

#9 Thisismyusername

Thisismyusername
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the welcome ladies.

It's good to know how long everyone else has been waiting to get in, perhaps it will be a bit longer than I am expecting, which isn't the biggest concern for me right now, we have an exceptionally busy year going on so the time will pass quickly for me anyway.  That being said I would still like to get a call sooner rather than later. 

Bobbi, Cutie & JGK I hope your upcoming cycles result in BFPs

Pearljam I hope you get to cycle again soon 

#10 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 06:14 PM

bobbi I had majorly sore boobs up until just before AF showed. They got even more sore once I started the stim meds and even more sore after the trigger shot. Be prepared!!! LOL.

Sounds like they have shorter wait times now, at least I hope so. 

#11 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, baseball & travel
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Several in Canada & US

Posted 03 February 2014 - 11:40 PM

Fingers crossed that a new thread brings some th_abfp.gif...it certainly can't hurt - lol!

Thisis & Bobbi13 - best of luck...hoping things go your way!

Cutie6...I love hot yoga too...I practice at Moksha on Waverly...where do you go?  Too many flows for me on Sunday though...didn't have my body weight lined up properly and now my wrist is driving me crazy.

AFM - I leave Thurs for FCC to get that left tube drained/clamped and then it's onwards & upwards with ivf.  Apparently it's 30+ degrees in Cancun right now...seems like a reasonable place to recuperate.  LOL

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#12 Cdnbabe

Cdnbabe
  • Global 100+
  • 662 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Was HL but moved on to VFC!!!!

Posted 04 February 2014 - 07:18 AM

2014 will be our year ladies!!!! Positive vibes all around!!!

Good luck with all cycles starting right away. And Cdnhockeygal good luck to you in Cancun!!!

#13 Cutie6

Cutie6
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 03:37 PM

Cdnhockeygal! I LOVE hot yoga!! I usually go to Stafford Street or the bikram studio on confusion corner. I always feel amazing after :)

Wishing you all the best in Cancun :) How long are you there for?

#14 Kysha

Kysha
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 04:49 PM

I just got back to the list for next cycle. Wait time is 4 months which isn't bad. At least I know we are moving forward if the frozen embie won't be our baby yet.

Pearljam, I like the emoticons it made me laugh.

Cndbabe, I might do natural frozen transfer like you. They are suggesting that when woman oviolate regularly and it's less stressful.
Dh - 33 healthy

Beta result BFN

Planning to switch to VFC but also on a list for a surgery to remove both tubes. The wait for surgery is 4 to 6 months ugh! Made a consultation appointment with Dr. H. Consultation scheduled in AugustSurgery done in July.

IVF # 2September 2014, Marvelon for 35 days, antibiotics for 14 days and aspirin 81

Transferred both on day 3 but very poor quality 1 highly fragmented 1 eight cell.

Moving on to VFC.

Took vitamin supplements, DHEA and Green Smoothies everyday. As advised by Dr. H after consultation.

Retrieved 8, 6 Fertilized, 3 made it to day 5, transferred 1 day 5 blast grade 18, 2 were frozen.

#15 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 06:36 PM

Kysha it's 4 months to cycle again?! WHAT?! 

Man it took us over 6 months to get a consult there, then another year to get the money together to move forward with our first IVF cycle, 6 months from when we paid the registration and now it's supposed to be another 4 months?! My gosh I'm getting SO tired of waiting..... eusa_wall.gif

Since we're there on the 10th anyways I'll be asking about signing up again especially if it's a 4 month wait. 

CdnHockey wish I was going with you!!! I could use some warm and sand already. 

• CdnHockeyGal likes this

#16 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:05 PM

This weather is stinky - I know that's not very articulate or mature...but it just plain old sucks.  It's not even as *cold* out as it's been and it still sent me into depress mode today...how many days until spring?

Cutie6 - just a quick in & out in Cancun...Thursday to Tues but I got a super cheap direct WestJet flight...$400 each way...hotel is $66/night on the beach (it's the hotel associated with the fertility clinic there that's doing the procedure)...so...by Thursday afternoon...I want to be on the beach with a mojito.  Everyone needs a goal right?  Hot yoga is one of my most favorite things too...everything about it makes me happy.  th_anana.gif

FX for your appointment on the 10th PearlJam...I'll be trying like mad to pick up wifi to see your update.  Can't believe how long the wait is again...boo!  Is there any truth to the rumor that Dr. Elliot is moving to Toronto in June?

It was long, awful & hard. We got very lucky and didn't run out of both emotional and financial resources. We saw some of the most beautiful of people in our lowest moments. Baby Girl arrived Apr 10/2018

#17 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 04 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

HUH?! What's this you talk about, Dr. Elliot leaving, he only just started!!! He's also our primary and I couldn't imagine what will happen to the waiting lists if he leaves. Who's going to pick up the slack????? Not good, not good at all. He will have worked at HL for less than a year. 

Make sure you have a mojito for me as well. Tomorrow we have our urologist appt, the consult for sperm extraction, hopefully the wait for that isn't too bad. 

#18 Kysha

Kysha
  • Global 100+
  • 176 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 12:11 AM

Cdnhockeygal. I have winter depression that is why I have a hard time dealing with ivf process esp when things doesn't work out. I hope your treatment goes well. I am not really sure, are you doing it in cancun or Fargo? Anyway, wherever you are going I wish for your success.

So, I wonder why dr Elliot is moving to toronto? He did my transfer and he is a nice guy.

Pearljam, good luck to your appoinment tomorrow.
Dh - 33 healthy

Beta result BFN

Moving on to VFC.

#19 jgk

jgk
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:31 AM

I am confused! (No surprise there!) CndHockeyGal, I thought you were doing Fargo?! Fargo and Cancun? Wow, I am jealous! Even if it's only for a few days, what better place to have this stuff done. Good luck with it all, hope it's a great experience.

So nice to hear other people loving the hot yoga. I stopped over 2 years ago to try and get pregnant (HA HA HA!) I got a bunch of gift cards for Christmas so I've been doing my own challenge. I've done 23 classes in 27 days, and signed up for 2 more tonight. I go to Moksha Kildonan. CndHockeyGal, do you go to Keith's class? I believe he's there Tuesday nights. He's by far my favourite!

It's funny, because 2+ years ago, I thought to myself "He'd be a great labour coach!" Ahh, the things that go through my head during my 'practice'. I've found that it's been really helpful emotionally, mentally and physically. Although, I have not morphed into the svelte, long limbed yogi I had hoped for. I'm still short and rounded. Ha.

Happy are those who dream dreams and are ready to pay the price to make them come true.
-Leon J. Suenes

#20 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 02:25 PM

Sorry guys - that is confusing...made sense in my head?  A lot of things make sense in my head...hahaha  We have having the laproscopy & hysteroscopy done in Cancun because they could get us in for the procedure so quickly (someone "accidentally" removed me from the waitlist at Heartland).  My DH has used up all his vacation time for school...so we're doing our ivf in Fargo (easy quick drive)...but it was insanely expensive to get the lap/hyst done in the US...hence Cancun...no chance of success with ivf without the lap being done...I have a hydrosalpinx in my left tube.  I'm actually going to Cancun by myself...came home to a ridiculously messy kitchen too many nights in a row...and decided that Cancun was as good a place as any to have minor surgery...hahaha

jgk - that's funny...I stopped going as well thinking I was going to get "pregnant"...recommitted around December as well...figured I might as well enjoy the class!  I think Keith teaches at Waverly as well...he's really good.  My favorite is Mark though...he makes me laugh.

Kysha & PearlJam...I'm not sure that Dr. Elliot leaving is confirmed...I heard it from one of his patients...but...I if I'm being honest...I find that individual's perceptions of what was said and what actually occurred occasionally in conflict.  ;)  I really hope it's not true as I can't imagine what that would do to the wait times.  I'm sorry it's such a hard time for you right now Kysha.

#21 pearljam1997

pearljam1997
  • 1000+
  • 1532 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 07:49 PM

There really isn't anything to update at our end other than that TESE sperm are considered the gold standard so it's all they do. We had some sticker shock at the procedure as we thought what HL charged covered the cost but nope, so we're looking at an additional $2600 on top of the $12K, fun. 

The urologist was very nice, he's also the one that did our reversal, and he apologized a few times for the position we were in and was very kind. We can also get in by the end of this month if I can get Mark in for a pre-op physical in the next week, which might be a problem. Also HL isn't taking any appts in March, so it's either this month or next. Anyone know what's up with the no appts in March thing? is this when they shut the lab down for cleaning perhaps? 

So tomorrow I'm going to push our GP's clinic to get that form done ASAP as guess what, our GP is going on vacation in March. 

#22 jgk

jgk
  • Global 100+
  • 101 posts

Posted 05 February 2014 - 11:51 PM

My heart goes out to all of you (us) who are still hurting from a failed cycle or even the diagnosis. I'm feeling really positive right now (back to back hot yoga classes with Keith will do that to me!). It's got to be our time soon. Winter depression is extra crappy, Kysha, I hear ya! Sometimes I wish I could slip into a tanning bed for 10 minutes and pretend I was at the lake in summer!

Cndhockeygal, I have to ask how you reacted when someone "accidentally" removed you from the list? I don't think I would have handled that well, or appropriately!

Pearljam, sorry for the extra blow of more $$ having to be shelled out. Super crappy, but hopefully in the long run it's all worth it.

As for the no appointments in March, I'm not too sure. I will have my retrieval prob around the 10th, with transfer on the 13th or 15th.
Back in July they did tell
Me that HL never cycles every single month each year, which is why the wait times vary. On a positive note, if you let them know you are very eager, they may call with a cancellation spot. This worked for me the first round. I'm thinking maybe it happened to Cutie as well, seeing as we're cycling close together but I got my phone call much earlier.

On a side note, Bobbi, the BCP gives me headaches. Boobs are fine as of right now though...

Happy thoughts, people!
  • pearljam1997 and Cutie6 like this

-Leon J. Suenes

#23 CdnHockeyGal

CdnHockeyGal
  • Super Moderator
  • 7094 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:19 AM

Jgk - I nearly always wind up at the apocalyptic meltdown place...but...we are so excited I didn't want to waste all the energy getting upset. Once we have a successful ivf behind us...my angry letter writing skills will come out in full force...But I suppose we're lucky to be able to pay to have the surgery done out of province...but I laboured under the delusion that my taxes would afford me the opportunity to have the surgery in my home province. ;). While they were *sorry* I got taken off the list it was still going to be a 5 month wait for the procedure and just like everyone....I want my baby!!! Hahahaha

PearlJam - I believe it's July that they shut down the lab for cleaning...not sure what's up with March? Hoping you get back on the list soon!

Fingers crossed for everyone!

#24 Cdnbabe

Cdnbabe
  • Global 100+
  • 662 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:Was HL but moved on to VFC!!!!

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:13 AM

I wonder about March for FET's. Maybe I will have to give HL a call. When I seen them in November they had given me my FET instructions and said whenever I was ready to go ahead with it I just call them on cycle day 1. I better find out if march is an exclusion cuz I would be pretty upset to think I was going for FET and call I hear them say sorry try again next month!!!!

#25 Cutie6

Cutie6
  • Global 100+
  • 105 posts

Posted 06 February 2014 - 09:00 AM

Pearljam- I totally understand what you are going though.... We saw the same urologist- super nice. We didn't know about the extra $$ the TESA would cost either. For us we had to pay the urologist/Maple Surgical and HL which totalled just over 4K...... For us we had to wait for ever to book a day as all 3 parties had to be available.. Plus you get to be the one who transports the sample from Maple to HL that day... LOL It was interesting to say the least..... I really hope you guys are able to get in sooner rather than later if you have to do TESA.... Hoping the 10th works out good for you guys :)

As far as HL being closed or unavailable in March, it may just be that they are fully booked. I will be doing my IVF in March- my estimated ER will be the week of March 24th....