WHICH FOOD IMPROVES CONCEPTION CHANCES: Mediterranean diet - IVF Ages 35+ - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

WHICH FOOD IMPROVES CONCEPTION CHANCES: Mediterranean diet

what to eat to get pregnant nutrition

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 PaleoMama

PaleoMama
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Getting pregnant after 35, nutrition, lifestyle, anthropology
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:38 AM

dear ladies,

lately i did a lot of research about what kind of food best supports fertility and egg quality in women over 35. i would like to share with you what i found out.

in short, there exist three major nutritional approaches:

1. fertility diet as published by the harvard resarchers some years ago (great, but with a limitation that original  data come from participants who reported infertility due to ovulatory issues)

2. modified paleo approach (paleo diet with extra carbs),

my hint is, that it could work well in terms of improving egg quality, especially by women with unexplained infertility issues, but for the moment there is no systematic science behind it

3. mediterranean diet. this approach has a solid scientific background.

below is the essence of what i found in various medical journals and below there are a few links you can folow further. should you have more/better references, it would be great if you would join in and let other women know.

mediterranean diet:

there is a proven record of benefits of all kinds.

one study (published in Fertility and Sterility in 2010), found that the mediterranean dietary pattern, when applied six months before conception, significantly increased the chance of pregnancy in 166 dutch couples undergoing IVF treatments.

the couples were asked to answer questions related to their nutrition and lifestyle; on analysis, it turned out that a high intake of vegetable oils, vegetables, fish, legumes, and a low intake of snacks during preconception times, positively correlated with their blood folate and B6, and increased the probability of a couple conceiving a baby.

the benefits of a mediterranean diet were confirmed in a spanish study from 2012, which looked at the cases of 485 women who reported difficulties in getting pregnant, and concluded that adherence to the mediterranean dietary pattern enhanced their pregnancy rates.

the mechanism behind the mediterranean diet is still unknown (antioxidants? olive oil? revestratol? mixture of all factors?)

http://www.ncbi.nlm....pubmed/20189169

http://www.ncbi.nlm....v;92(5):1189-96.

(FREE FULL TEXT)

mayo clinic about fertility diet ( cardiovascular context)

http://www.mayoclini...an-diet/CL00011

• Kitty Holland likes this

i don't feel safe in this world no more, i don't want to die in a nuclear war

i wanna sail away to a distant shore and live like an ape man!

WELCOME TO MY BLOGS: Get pregnant after 35

Improve egg quality

#2 PaleoMama

PaleoMama
  • 48 posts
  • Interests:Getting pregnant after 35, nutrition, lifestyle, anthropology
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 21 January 2014 - 10:59 AM

only a quick reminder on foods which belong to mediterranean kitchen (or is that something that everybody knows?)

a mediterranean diet features mostly fresh foods that have gone through minimal processing.

typical vegetables are: tomatoes, broccoli, peppers, potatoes, onions, peas, artichokes, eggplant, celery, lettuce, and mushrooms.

fruits recommended in the mediterranean diet are: apples, grapes, grapefruit, melons, cherries, dates, peaches, and strawberries.

milk, yogurt, and cheese seem to be OK. processed carbohydrates are NOT recommended (no white bread or pasta), but eating whole grains instead, such as rice, oats, couscous, barley, and bulgur.

did anyone follow any of the diet approaches,

were there any changes to egg and embryo quality?

i was personally eating paleo with extra carbs during the time when i was trying to get pregnant, but i think i would recommend mediterranean diet to everybody else, probably because of the scientific evidence behind it

i don't feel safe in this world no more, i don't want to die in a nuclear war

i wanna sail away to a distant shore and live like an ape man!

WELCOME TO MY BLOGS: Get pregnant after 35

Improve egg quality

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: what to eat to get pregnant, nutrition