• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 yellowrose

yellowrose
  • 11 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:NL Fertility Services

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:54 AM

My FSH levels came back at 5. I'm a 37 year old female. My doctor said that was good and moved onto the next thing. Now that I'm at home thinking about it, I'd like to know how good is "good". Believe it or not, I can not find a Google search that tells me what a normal FSH level is. Does anyone know what the most fertile FSH level is?

#2 mouse

mouse

Honorary PhD

• Super Moderator
  • 7477 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:BKK/KWI/JHFC

Posted 11 January 2014 - 09:26 AM

I don't think there is a "most fertile" level. Everyone is individual so there is a range of normal and generally speaking most clinics like to see it under 10.  Also, FSH fluctuates from month to month. The other thing to keep in mind is that FSH is just one of many factors - some better understood than others - that impact fertility and success.

Fingers crossed for you!

The plural of anecdote is not data.

Charity gives a meal; justice provides a place at the table.

#3 babybumpseeker

babybumpseeker
  • Global 100+
  • 132 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:01 PM

Not sure if this helps, but at age 40 my fsh was at 9.9.  I was concerned about DOR, however my Doctor says he is not concerned unless it reaches 12 or over. According to what I have read and been told and fsh of  5 is awesome.   He did put me on DHEA and CoQ10 and after 5 weeks on it my fsh is now at 7.  

Best of luck to you and I hope you get the answers you are looking for.

17 years of fertility treatments

#4 Lisa1981

Lisa1981
  • Cyclebase
  • 1698 posts
  • Interests:Getting my sanity back
  • Dx:Endometriosis
  • My Clinic:N/A at the moment

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:47 PM

FSH level of 5 is good. Don't worry.

Just an FYI: One thing to remember though is that all labs have different threshold of what is in the normal range (5 is always in the normal range). For example, the lab I go to has a normal range up to 15, other labs have a limit of 13, others 10... So if you ever get this test redone and go to a different lab, the results may be different but it doesn't mean that your FSH level actually changed, it could just be the lab :)

Me: 33 - DH: 36

July 2012: referred to Ottawa fertility center
August 2012: Test results are back
High FSH, Low AFC (only 6)
Endo (duuuh) & DOR  (great....)

And may has well make it a trio...male factor (motility)

After 2 failed IUIs, 5 Failed IVF:

Trying on our own until spring come's along... 

Feb 09: A little Miracle, a natural BFP. Praying it sticks around for 9 months.

Feb 11: Beta 25 (yikes)- P4: 47 oh boy, put on progesterone

Feb 13: Beta 86 - P4: 144

Feb 18: Beta 544 - P4: 96

Feb 20: Beta 1128 - P4: 81... increased progesterone to 600mg

Feb 24: Beta 1608 - P4: 100... oh boy, not looking promissing

Feb 25: Beta: 1942 (no P4) at another hospital.. ok, looking better... U/S: sac and yolk. Nothing else.

March 04: HB 115. Problem: Sac is small... repeat u/s next week

March 14: U/S , HB (abdominal) 167bpm (internal) 158bpm. Problem: Sac still small, reapeat u/s in 10 days..

March 24: U/S confirmed no HB.. stop progesterone. M/C that same evening

#5 Robi

Robi
  • 51 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:RFP Calgary

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:48 PM

Hi yellowrose,

I found this the other day

http://www.advancedf...com/day3fsh.htm

There are some general guidelines in there. Good luck!

R

Me 41, DH 44
TTC since 2008
Dx: DOR
IVF #1 June 2011
Flare Protocol
June 24 - six lonely follies to work with
June 26 ER - six mature eggs, ICSI
June 27 - six have fertilized
June 28 - five made it (3-6 cells each)
June 29 - transferred two 8 cell, froze two 6 cell
July 14 - BFP!!
July 15 beta 1,945 (16dp3dt)
August 2 u/s - one good sized baby bean (153 bpm)
September 4 - 12 week mark
September 12 - first trimester screening and u/s - all is well. Due date March 18, 2012.
October 28 - 19 week ultrasound: we are having a little boy!
December 12 - 26 weeks....or 6 months. All is well.
March 4, 2012 - Oscar Benjamin is born at 38 weeks. 7 pounds 10 ounces. Our little miracle is finally here....

March 16, 2013 - MIracle natural BFP! m/c at 13.5 weeks

November 5, 2013 FET 2 embryos. BFN

January 2014 - Contemplating one last fresh cycle.

#6 Curlygirl77

Curlygirl77
  • Global 100+
  • 148 posts
  • My Clinic:Olive Fertility Centre

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:22 AM

The other thing to remember is that FSH can be in the 'normal' zone but can be falsely low if your estradiol is high. My clinic always orders the 2 together to get an accurate representation of FSH levels. Also, AMH is more useful (though a 'newer' test) so might be worth getting that tested too.  I was also always told that the only thing that matters is how high your FSH gets - after 1 high FSH value, you are still considered DOR sadly, even if you bring it down in other months. Mine was 14 initially, and fluctuates between 4-7, but estradiol is always really high with the lower FSH values.

All in all, 5 sounds pretty good though!

Good luck!

Diagnosed with DOR in October 2012

Surprise BFP October 2012! Chemical pregnancy

January 2013- decided to pursue donor egg IVF with my sister- she is diagnosed with DOR as well :-(

July 2013- decided on donor egg IVF in Europe, planning on early 2014 to give time to try naturally

Surprise BFP September 2013. Another chemical pregnancy :-( At the same time, a dear friend offers to donate her eggs to us! Her testing begins...

Surprise BFP October 2013!!! 

First beta 29/10- 36

Second beta 31/10- 106, right on track!

Third beta 03/11- 277

Fourth beta 09/11- only 622... doubling time more than 3 days :-( Bracing ourselves for another miscarriage.

Fifth and final beta 12/11- 1875! Tripled in 3 days. RE wondering about ectopic...  

13/11- first ultrasound- gestational sac, yolk sac and fetal pole seen! Baby measuring exactly right on for dates! We are ecstatic!!!  Too early for heartbeat so now waiting patiently for next ultrasound.

05/12- 8+6 - beautiful heartbeat of 165 heard and baby is exactly the right size (and also very photogenic).  Can't believe it!!!!!!

12/12- 9+5 - first OB appointment. New due date is July 12th by our 8 week scan. Can't believe how much baby was moving in there on the ultrasound today!!! Happy little heartbeat too.

June 17, 2014-  our little miracle baby boy born by c-section for pre-eclampsia and breech at 36 weeks!  He is so awesome.  So incredibly thankful....

Surprise BFP July 2015. Third chemical pregnancy. Ugh.

Surprise BFP August 2015.  Seems too good to be true.  Very cautious but holding out a bit of hope...

First beta 02/09 - 2811

Second beta 10/09 - 29 455

22/09 - first ultrasound at 7+5! Little baby measuring right on track with a beautiful heartbeat. Due date May 5th!

April 21, 2016 - our second miracle boy is born naturally after a c-section the first time.  What an experience… We are so thankful to the universe and feel that our family is now complete. 

#7 juice

juice
  • Global 100+
  • 542 posts
  • Interests:Getting pregnant!! Used to have others, can't remember lol.
  • My Clinic:PCRM

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Yes, the doctors/clinics will only accept your first FSH test result, no matter that it fluctuates. Mine went from 14 down to 6 over an 8 month period but they will go with the 14. So... 5 is great!

me - 45.5, husband - 43.5

1 natural pregnancy but m/c in June 2011

7 failed IUIs, 3 medicated and 4 non-medicated, all BFN

I was a poor responder to the meds, only produced 1 viable egg so I'm not a candidate for IVF

Suffering  deeply, watching all my friends get pregnant and raise kids.

No one in my immediate circle of friends and family who has gone through this so forums are amazingly helpful.

Dec 2013 - have chosen a donor with San Diego Fertility Center and have begun the process. If all goes well we'll get me preggo in April 2014. IF all goes well... 

It DIDN'T go well - our donor failed her genetic testing. It took MORE exhausting searches 24/7 to find another we liked, and finally she's passed and good to go. IF all goes well we'll go down to SDFC mid-June 2014 for the egg transfer and get me pregnant..if all goes well...if... if... if... so many letdowns cannot allow me to be hopeful, just wait and see...

June 2014 Went to SDFC, everything went smoothly. Well, kind of...family stuff... but transfer went well

July 16 2014 did blood test...BFP th_abfp.gif Wow. First time, feeling a lot emotions and crying uncontrollably for last 48 hours.

Hoping it sticks. That's all for now.

Aug 11 first u/s - TWINS. omg....good size, good heartbeat. I'm terrified.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: fsh, fsh levels, female, 35+