Maca and Fertility - Ovulation and LH Effects - Ask the Naturopathic Physician - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Maca and Fertility - Ovulation and LH Effects

naturopathic fertility herbs ovulation hormones

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:19 PM

Hi everyone, 

I just wanted to tell you about a new study that just came out the other day about Maca and Fertility, specifically about how it affects the LH surge and ovulation.  Fascinating information!

Enjoy! 

Dr. Fiona

• gibasgirl likes this
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#2 nettibug

nettibug
  • Cyclebase
  • 1074 posts
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:N/A

Posted 28 December 2013 - 03:14 PM

Interesting - thank you for posting!

• DrFionaMcCulloch likes this

Single with secondary infertility, AMA, DOR, RPL.  TTC started with four failed IUI's.

IVF #1: converted to another IUI after 2 of 10 follies went rogue during stims --> BFN

IVF #2: 6 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized with ICSI --> 3dt of 4 high grade embryos with AH --> BFN

IVF #3: 6 eggs retrieved, 4 fertilized with ICSI --> vitrified at 2PN (had to put TTC on hold)

IVF #4: 11 eggs retrieved, 9 fertilized with ICSI --> 5dt of 3 blasts  --> th_abfp.gif --> lost HB at 8w4d 8388.gif

IVF #5: 7 eggs retrieved, 6 fertilized with ICSI --> 5dt of 2 blasts --> th_abfp.gif --> missed m/c at 7w3d 8388.gif 

IVF #6: cancelled due to poor response --> IUI --> totally unexpected th_abfp.gif --> chemical 8388.gif

Getting off the IVF train and happily moving on to international adoption

Dossier approved & registered!  Waiting for a referral...  kaffeetrinker_2.gif

Nine months later, still waiting...

#3 SmallWonder

SmallWonder
  • Global 100+
  • 158 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:55 AM

Thanks for this article. I wondered about white vs. black maca and whether that was considered in the study. My dr told me that my prolactin is high and I was considering supplementing with maca. FYI: we are dealing with a male factor issue and we've had 3 failed IVFs using spermatids from a microtese. Moving on to IUI with donor sperm later this month. This is the first time in 4 years of treatment that I am hearing of a hormone issue on my side of things. I can't help but feel that all the meddling with my hormones via drugs has created this high prolactin issue. I appreciate your any thoughts you may have re: controlling prolactin with use of maca.

#4 pam2bemom

pam2bemom
  • Just Hatched
  • 4 posts
  • Dx:PCOS

Posted 14 January 2014 - 10:17 AM

Thanks - I've been taking maca at the recommendation of my nutritionist and immediately saw my cycles get back on time (26-29 day for the last 4 months).

Interesting study.

• DrFionaMcCulloch likes this

#5 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • Dx:N/A
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 03 February 2014 - 04:38 PM

Smallwonder, 

Maca could help with the LH surge.  You should also have your thyroid checked as hypothyroidism can cause elevated prolactin.  

Thanks for commenting! 

Dr. Fiona

Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: naturopathic fertility, herbs, ovulation, hormones