Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts
  • Dx:N/A

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:56 PM

POPULAR

Dear Valued IVF.ca Members

I originally created this site in 2002 after the birth of our daughter who we had through IVF. Until then I was quite dissatisfied with IVF networks I had been a member at and I felt there was a serious patient networking gap in Canada. Rather than complain about it I took matters and vision in hand and created IVF.ca.

The project became a major commitment. I took this on with no web experience whatsoever. Needless to say it has caused many sleepless nights.  Perhaps even a sleepless decade.

Internet related technologies are moving forward at a tremendous clip. At this stage I feel it’s time to hand over the reins to a company who can help IVF.ca manage and grow in the future. Today I am announcing IVF.ca has been acquired by the media company VerticalScope.

VerticalScope is taking over the operational aspects of the website and you may see some changes appear as a result over time, however the forum itself should not be greatly affected. Everyone will continue to use the forum and site as they do now. I will still be involved with the website as much as time permits, in particular assisting with transition issues. The existing moderator team will still maintain their rights and roles in the forum and be an integral part of the website.

I hope that, in some small way, I’ve been able to make a difference in the lives of those who struggle with infertility. I have come to know many people on this site that have made a difference in my life. If I can ever be of assistance to anyone on this website in the future, including VerticalScope and their staff, please feel free to ask. I’ll be hanging around. You probably can’t get rid of me!

Thank you

Rick Bissonette

Founder, IVF.ca

• Valasia, gibasgirl, ladylazarus and 25 others like this

#2 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13136 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.
  • Dx:Unexplained

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:05 PM

I am very glad that you took that step in 2002.

Thank you, Rick. You have left an indelible imprint on this very special community and it couldn't have happened without you.
  • Rick, ladylazarus, dawnkey and 8 others like this

#3 MB.

MB.
  • Global 100+
  • 764 posts
  • Dx:Other

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:06 PM

Rick, thank you so much for creating this community. Without this site and these knowledgable women for guidance, I would not have ultimately been successful. Your efforts have had meaning and impacted so many. Thank you.
  • Rick, gibasgirl, rokgerl and 6 others like this

#4 ForumAdmin

ForumAdmin
  • Adminoocyte
  • 743 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce my self to you all. My name is Philip and I am a community manager for Verticalscope.com and will be taking over the WebMaster duties for Rick here on IVF.ca. I am here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current staff easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please post them.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with your board staff to help provide the resources and required to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, You as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while staff keep the walls and the roof up in this place; We are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You guys have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this and it’s paramount that we maintain this level of integrity.

What am I here for?

My primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier you all built the foundation and keep the roof from falling, I am here keeping the lights on inside. I will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is all taken care of and keep things running smoothly from behind the scenes.

I do look forward to getting to know you all and this unique community better.

• Rick, gibasgirl, ladylazarus and 8 others like this

This is a test sig with multiple lines

line 2

line 3

#5 My_time

My_time

The world says give up! Hope whispers one more time

• Cyclebase
  • 1817 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

Oh Rick, I will be sad to see you go and glad to hear that you will stick around for a while. Thank you for creating this community. I have learnt a lot from people on this site and they have changed my view on this world. Good luck to you.

• Rick, ---, gibasgirl and 4 others like this

Diagnosis: Repeated Pregnancy Loss + DOR + Advance maternal Age.

So far no luck with IVF attempts. Hope things take a turn soon.

#6 vball_gal

vball_gal
  • Cyclebase
  • 1204 posts
  • My Clinic:RFP (Calgary)

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:03 PM

Thanks Rick for all your time and support that went into this website.

• Rick, gibasgirl, Laura1976 and 2 others like this
See my about page for more information...

#7 ladylazarus

ladylazarus
  • Cyclebase
  • 615 posts
  • Interests:Being a good pilgrim...
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 19 December 2013 - 06:18 PM

Without this site, I would not have found the right clinic and all the amazing support that kept me going. Thank you from the bottom of my heart, Rick. You made an amazing difference in my life and I'm sure, the lives of so many who would have otherwise suffered in silence. Congratulations on the transition and glad to hear you aren't going anywhere!

• Rick, gibasgirl, silverdollar and 3 others like this
Me - 46 One Blocked Tube, One Sleepy Ovary
DH - 56 Tired Swimmers
"I've had dreams enough for one, And I've got love enough for three..."
TTC 4 years
2007 - Charts, temps, pre-seed & all the rest - BFN every month
2008 - 7 IUI's in Seattle, using Femera- All BFN
2009 IVF/ICSI #1 @ PCRM - Canceled Long Lupron, no response (of course!)
2009 IVF/ICSI #2 @ PCRM - BFP, but low HCG (49 @ 11dp3dt), chemical
2010 IVF/ICSI #3 @ VFC - BFP!! Third time was a charm!

Little Ronnie, my Winter Solstice baby was born December 22nd 9:36am, 6lbs 13oz 19.5" long

#8 ---

---
  • 1000+
  • 1668 posts
  • Interests:recovering from pretentious nonsense

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:19 PM

Hello,

Just wanted to introduce my self to you all. My name is Philip and I am a community manager for Verticalscope.com and will be taking over the WebMaster duties for Rick here on IVF.ca. I am here to help primarily with the technical end of things and help make the jobs of the current staff easier. I posted a real basic run down to answer common questions below. If you have more questions or concerns please post them.

What are our intentions?

We bring reliability, support and the infrastructure needed to ensure that the community will be around for years to come. It’s our goal to work with your board staff to help provide the resources and required to give this community a broader reach, to attract new members to better the overall knowledge shared in the community.

Will leadership change?

Continuity is the focus here, You as the membership work very hard to keep building this community while staff keep the walls and the roof up in this place; We are primarily here to make sure the lights stay on. Every community is unique and should always be respected in that regard. You guys have established your own unique rules and regulations and a strong reputation that is carried by all of this and it’s paramount that we maintain this level of integrity.

What am I here for?

My primary role is to be the technical contact as I said earlier you all built the foundation and keep the roof from falling, I am here keeping the lights on inside. I will be on the forum checking in daily to make sure regular maintenance is all taken care of and keep things running smoothly from behind the scenes.

Rick- Thank you so much for the last decade. You were great, you provided a much needed 'voice' for the rest of us and it was you who brought us together so we could help each other.

Forum Administrators- Before you do ANY changes to this site I encourage you to check out fertilityCommunity.com This is a much larger site with hundreds of thousands of posts, in the last year they made many changes (another admin,site changes etc.) and the site flopped for many reasons. Of course this was certifiably not intentional, but if you read posts in there you will see how it failed.  At this time many ladies just post there now to guide patients to private facebook pages so they can continue to support each other. We all like this site,  and change is imminent and often a good thing but I do encourage you to check out fertilityCommunty.com  just to see what did happen over there. I hope much of the way this site is easily navigated stays the same.

Looking forward to a great site continuing ! Your break is well deserved Rick ! Welcome new Forum Admin people smile.png

• ilovemydogs likes this

#9 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:05 AM

Welcome Phillip. Nice to have you here.

• gibasgirl and Laura1976 like this

#10 Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

Heregoesnothing

• Cyclebase
  • 1416 posts
  • Dx:Male Factor
  • My Clinic:Canada

Posted 20 December 2013 - 07:12 AM

Thank-you!

• gibasgirl likes this

May 2013 - We welcome our baby boy 

Nov. 28th 2015 - We welcome our baby girl

3 day 3 embryos on ice 

For a more detailed look on my cycles, visit my 'about me' page

#11 gibasgirl

gibasgirl
  • Site Admin
  • 13136 posts
  • Interests:I like many things, music (all kinds), tennis, photography, and languages to name a few. Ok, interior and industrial design, opera, and TV. Yes, TV, there are just so many darn good TV shows on the air. Ugh, it's hard to resist.

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:22 AM

Hello,

Hello Philip, welcome to the community and thank you. 

#12 ForumAdmin

ForumAdmin
  • Adminoocyte
  • 743 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 12:23 PM

Hello,

What are our intentions?

Will leadership change?

What am I here for?

Rick- Thank you so much for the last decade. You were great, you provided a much needed 'voice' for the rest of us and it was you who brought us together so we could help each other.

Forum Administrators- Before you do ANY changes to this site I encourage you to check out fertilityCommunity.com This is a much larger site with hundreds of thousands of posts, in the last year they made many changes (another admin,site changes etc.) and the site flopped for many reasons. Of course this was certifiably not intentional, but if you read posts in there you will see how it failed.  At this time many ladies just post there now to guide patients to private facebook pages so they can continue to support each other. We all like this site,  and change is imminent and often a good thing but I do encourage you to check out fertilityCommunty.com  just to see what did happen over there. I hope much of the way this site is easily navigated stays the same.

Looking forward to a great site continuing ! Your break is well deserved Rick ! Welcome new Forum Admin people smile.png

Part of the reason we dont plan to make major changes. I do want to know if there are things you all feel we need on the site. Maybe something you have seen on another site that would be a good addition. I will also work on looking at if there are things I can ad to the site to make the moderator experience on here easier.

• gibasgirl and Crazy like this

line 2

line 3

#13 Vetter

Vetter
  • 1000+
  • 1157 posts

Posted 20 December 2013 - 03:57 PM

Rick - All I will say is that FAVRE RULES.  I'm still mad at you for blowing up the original, and most funny Crankypants thread - it was pure comedic genius ;) 

I'm sure that you'll be around, lurking.  I hear, that's what you like to do.... ha ha ha ha ha

See ya' around old man :D (says the chick who is 4 mos younger!!!!) 

It's been fun....

• Rick and sharlene like this

#14 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

Rick - All I will say is that FAVRE RULES.  I'm still mad at you for blowing up the original, and most funny Crankypants thread - it was pure comedic genius wink.png

I'm sure that you'll be around, lurking.  I hear, that's what you like to do.... ha ha ha ha ha

See ya' around old man biggrin.png (says the chick who is 4 mos younger!!!!) 

It's been fun....

I just might start my own and call it Crankyshirts. wink.png

• Vetter likes this

#15 Vetter

Vetter
  • 1000+
  • 1157 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 11:45 AM

Rick - All I will say is that FAVRE RULES.  I'm still mad at you for blowing up the original, and most funny Crankypants thread - it was pure comedic genius wink.png

See ya' around old man biggrin.png (says the chick who is 4 mos younger!!!!) 

It's been fun....

I just might start my own and call it Crankyshirts. wink.png

It appropriately should be named Crankyshits.  The original group - that's what we are - a bunch of ____ !!! 

• Rick likes this

#16 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 01:24 PM

I was thinking of starting a thread called 'Rodgers Rules in Green Bay'. What do you think, Julie?

• Vetter likes this

#17 Vetter

Vetter
  • 1000+
  • 1157 posts

Posted 22 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Well.... that would be interesting, however, Rodgers is a wussy pants, who won't be playing this year.... not sure if your intent for a thread is to portray the habitants as weak, sickly whiners.  lol

GO PHILLY EAGLES :D

• Rick likes this

#18 Butterfli

Butterfli
  • Super Moderator
  • 843 posts
  • My Clinic:Fertility East

Posted 23 December 2013 - 03:54 AM

Rick I wanted to thank you too for creating this site. It is my rock and has kept me sane and supported thru IVF, miscarriage and newborn. This site made each stage easier and I check in atleast once a day. Thank you thank you thank you!
  • Rick, gibasgirl and Laura1976 like this

Me 30 DW 34 - Two mummies to be! I'll carry my wife's egg so we can blend our family

First IVF Cycle

March 2012 Fresh - BFN

April 2012 FET- BFN

May 2012 FET- BFP - M/c6w6d icon_cry.gif

Second IVF Cycle

August 31 Fresh- th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 265 (TG) 11dp3dt

Sep 8 - 2nd Beta 8751 18dp3dt

Sep 15 - 3rd Beta - 43066 25dp3dt

babyboy.gif DS is born the 4th of May 2013 and we are so smitten!

stork-baby.gifProject Sibling stork-baby.gif

Me - 32 DW - 36 DS - 1

Second IVF Cycle

April 2014 FET - BFN 

Third IVF Cycle

July 2014 Fresh - th_abfp.gif

1st Beta 105 (TG) 9dp5dt

2nd Beta 1150 14dp5dt

Third Beta 12470 21dp5dt

babyboy.gif DS is born 7th of March 2015 and he is so precious.

stork-baby.gifProject Siblingstork-baby.gif 

Planning in 2016

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

#19 Laura1976

Laura1976
  • Super Moderator
  • 3356 posts
  • Interests:I think right about now all I am interested in is getting PG and staying that way for 9 months!
  • Dx:Immunological
  • My Clinic:Heartland (IVF #1) VFC (IVF #2)

Posted 25 December 2013 - 09:57 PM

Rick, you are an amazing man!  I am eternally thankful for this site.  Thank you for putting up with all of us women, often jacked up on hormones ;).  You also have provided a safe place for us to bitch and moan.  I have learned so much from IVF.ca, surely more than I would had learned from my RE, without knowing what to ask.  I don't know if anyone could ever grasp the full magnitude of how many people you have helped and how many lives you hand had a hand in.  

Welcome Philip.  I look forward to working with you and your team. 

• Rick, ---, Vetter and 4 others like this
ME 35 SO 32 TTC #1 since September 2008

See 'About me Page' for more cycle history

November 29/11 - Unexplained IF/Recurrent loss testing

Compliment C3 & C4 below acceptable range
LA Ratio DRVVT above acceptable range
Lupus Inhibitor demonstrated
Antiphospholipid IgG above acceptable range
Antiphospholipid IgM above acceptable range (more than double)

Consultation @ VFC December 10/11

IVF/ICSI #2 (with Intralipid therapy) January/February (Victoria Fertility Clinic)
BCP December 16 -29/11 & January 6 - 28/12
Vitamin D (2000iu daily) and Iron Supplement (Ferrous Gluconate 300mg daily) - Start December 24 until Dr advises otherwise, PregVit 5 (Starting January 12/11), Vitamin E (800iu daily) until Heparin begins (Starting January 14/11) Fish Oil (1200iu daily)
Superfact (0.5mg) - Start January 22/12
Dexamethasone (0.5mg) - Start February 4/12 until beta

After ER - Doxycycline (100mg), Estrance (2mg), Prometrium (200mg 3x day), heparin 5000 units (2x day), calcium (1500mg daily), low dose aspirin (81mg daily)
Intralipids - February 13/12 and day of ET
Neupogen Uterine Flush - Day of ER

February 2/12 - E2 35p/mol
February 4/12 - 300iu Gonal-F & 75iu Repronex
February 9/12 - U/S & E2 - RIGHT- 11, 9, 10, 19, 8, 12, 11, 10, 13, 6 LEFT: 12, 7, 10, 10, 8, 6, 5, 5 E2 2635

February 9/12 Gonal-F lowered to 225iu Repronex remains at 75iu
February 11/12 - U/S & E2 - Right 14, 10, 11, 12, 10, 13, 12, 12, 14, 7 LEFT: 11, 8, 10, 13, 9, 8, 8 E2 5610
February 13/12 - U/S an E2??? & Intralipid Therapy
February 16/12 - E/R 20 eggs, 17 mature and ICSI'ed, 3 left to fertilize by regular IVF
February 17/12 - Fert Report 16 fertilized by ICSI, 1 fertilized by IVF
February 20/12 - Neupogen injection
February 21/12 - Transferred 2 Blastocysts ( 1 x Grade 19 Early Blast, 1 x Grade 19 Expanded Blast) and Intralipid Therapy and Acupuncture

“Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid.” - George Carlin

#20 ForumAdmin

ForumAdmin
  • Adminoocyte
  • 743 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:41 PM

Thanks Laura! We are here to support you guys. If you need help with things on the site or have ideas to make the experience better for the mods or the members please let me know.

line 2

line 3

#21 Rick

Rick

Test Again

• Adminoocyte
  • 6299 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:07 PM

Rick, you are an amazing man!  I am eternally thankful for this site.  Thank you for putting up with all of us women, often jacked up on hormones ;).  You also have provided a safe place for us to bitch and moan.  I have learned so much from IVF.ca, surely more than I would had learned from my RE, without knowing what to ask.  I don't know if anyone could ever grasp the full magnitude of how many people you have helped and how many lives you hand had a hand in.  

Welcome Philip.  I look forward to working with you and your team.

Wow, thank your the kind words Laura!

Happy belated birthday to you.
  • gibasgirl likes this

#22 runnerchick

runnerchick
  • Global 100+
  • 821 posts
  • Interests:music, running, throwing the ball for my golden girl!
  • My Clinic:Calgary

Posted 01 January 2014 - 11:44 PM

Rick, thank you for starting this site. It has truly saved me, made me laugh, cry, learn, grow, and most importantly, become a parent. I am so very grateful.

• Rick and gibasgirl like this

#23 Beth83

Beth83
  • Global 100+
  • 372 posts

Posted 02 January 2014 - 09:53 AM

I am so thankful for this site and it sounds like a very good step forward having VerticalStep now assisting.  Thank you Rick :)

ME: 30 31 DH: 31
Married: 2008 TTC #1 since 2010
Diagnosed Mar/13 with severe MF - waiting for IVF w/ICSI
Natural BFP Dec/13!…Our Miracle...Sadly our Angel baby boy was born still May 7/14 at 23 weeks
…If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever…

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

#24 DrFionaMcCulloch

DrFionaMcCulloch
  • Physician
  • 842 posts
  • My Clinic:White Lotus Naturopathic

Posted 03 January 2014 - 11:39 PM

Rick, 

Thank you so much for all you've done to create this amazing community!  This is really one of the very BEST online communities I have ever seen, and I've been online since the beginning of the internet.  I can only imagine all of the insomnia you endured to keep things going as it grew.  You are awesome.  

Philip, 

Great to meet you!  Welcome to IVF.CA ! 

• Rick, gibasgirl and Highest hopes like this
Dr. Fiona McCulloch, BSc., ND : Naturopathic Doctor, Integrative Women's Health & Fertility
White Lotus Integrative Medicine
Greenfield Ave, Suite 201
North York, Ontario, M2N 3CBCanada
phone (416) 730-8218

#25 Curks

Curks
  • Global 100+
  • 424 posts
  • My Clinic:OFC

Posted 06 January 2014 - 10:51 AM

Thanks Rick for creating this site and for nurturing it for so long.  It was an enormous help to me before, during and after my IVF journey as well as through my adoption adventure.  I am very grateful to you and your hard work.  

Me: 34 My husband: 36
TTC since November 2006
Diagnosed with severe male factor infertility in June 2009

Our ART journey
IVF#1 Fall 2009 - cancelled just before ER due to dangerously high estrogen level
IVF#2 Winter 2010 - 12 eggs retrieved, 5 fertilized, cycle cancelled just before ET due to abnormal embryos
IVF#3 Summer 2010 - 13 eggs retrieved, 12 mature, 12 fertilized, all abnormal on Day 3 but a few corrected themselves by Day 5, BFN
Done with IVF

Our adoption journey
Completed PRIDE in October 2010
SAFE Homestudy finished in December 2010
Chosen by a birth mom in March 2011
Brought beautiful baby girl home in May 2011
She became officially ours in April 2012
So blessed
Homestudy reapplication completed in July 2015
Would love to grow our family through adoption again