• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bailey18

Bailey18
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 12:55 PM

I just found out they have recalled Endometrin, it is the same LOT# as the ones I just used during our failed IVF cycle. Because the recall was just put on after my cycle, I was not aware to check for things as discoloured tablet ect as they have posted on the website of the recall.
This could have or may have not been a factor in our failed IVF.
All I know is finding this out after putting our heart, soul and money into this cycle is pretty devasted as it could possibly be a factor.

My question is, what to do with all of this. I called health canada and my fertility clinic but no one has called me back..

#2 waitingforbfp

waitingforbfp
  • Global 100+
  • 469 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:KRF/Olive

Posted 25 November 2013 - 01:53 PM

I am currently on those Endometrin tablets. Recalled batch. My clinic wants me to stay on them. I just got my bfp yesterday. Clinic told me it is precautionary measure. No discolored tablets have been found in Canada and they have only been found in other countries. And to just watch. I am just finished box #2 and haven't found any discolored ones. One more box to go.

Sorry for your loss. 

Me-38 DH- 42

TTC since 2000
Unexplained Secondary Infertility (Had a son while a teen and gave him up for adoption)
March 2000- M/C @ 11 weeks
January 2001- M/C @ 9 weeks
February 2003- M/C @ 8 weeks
2004-2007- 6 Cycles of clomid and natural conception- BFN
November 2009- IUI with injectables- BFN
February 2010- IUI with injectables- BFN
May 2012-Consult with KRF. Re-due blood tests and prep for IVF
June 2012-Started taking Estrace for estrogen priming protocol
Blood test to see why af hasn't started. BFP with low numbers. Chemical Pregnancy
IVF#1 (KRF/Genesis)--July 29, 2012- Estrogen Priming Protocol
August 19-Egg Retrieval 20 eggs; 18 fertilized; 11 made it to Day 5
August 24- Transferred 1 Blast; Froze 4 (the rest didn't make it overnight to Day 6)
Sept 2-Took HPT (Faint Positive)
Sept 5-Beta 3 (BFN--Another Chemical)
FET#1(KRF/Genesis)-Oct 30 2012 On Estrace and Prednisone. Transferred 2 blasts (Had to thaw 3-one didn't make it. One left in the freezer)
Nov 13 2012- Beta- BFN

FET#2(KRF/Genesis) -Nov 16,2013 BETA Nov 27--Chemical Pregnancy 

IVF#2 (KRF/Olive)Consult Jan 27. (Doing CCS & immune treatments this cycle)

Estrogen Priming Starts February 19, 2014 YAY!!!!

STIMS START March 1, 2014

Retrieval Mar 13, 2014. 17 eggs retrieved, 16 of which mature and 15 fertilized. 

11 made it to blast and were biopsied and frozen. 5 NORMAL BLASTS yahoo.gif

FET with next af (transfer May, hopefully). 

FET transfer with One Normal Perfect Embryo May 15, 2014

5dp5dt--Faint positive on hpt. Darker on 6dp5dt yahoo.gif

BETA--May 26, 2014 (FX this is it)

ANOTHER F**KING chemical--beta 21 th_agrr.gif

FET#2--Lining scan on July 15. Lining at 10mm and dominate follicle is at 19mm. Waiting on ovulation to time transfer. Here we go again. FX this is it!!!

TRANSFER July 21, 2014--1 PGS Normal Blast

8th confirmed Chemical

LOOKING FOR A SURROGATE. Still have 3 PGS normal embryos frozen.

Trying again with my body......'initial' consult is April 14

#3 Bailey18

Bailey18
  • 3 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:Conceptia

Posted 25 November 2013 - 02:02 PM

No discolored tablets have been found in canada yet, but how do I know if i have used one, NOT knowing to look out for it. If its the same batch, they can be anywhere. No one is giving me answers. I am not letting this go until I have some, so much money and emotions got into a cycle and to find out one of the meds I was taking is recalled for "precaution".

#4 RedSiren

RedSiren
  • Global 100+
  • 459 posts
  • Interests:Natural Health, Acupuncture, Mind-Body Connection
  • Dx:DOR
  • My Clinic:Isis RFC

Posted 25 November 2013 - 04:18 PM

if the Endometrin product was not working as it was supposed to, it would have resulted in low Progesterone levels, which could cause an adverse effect. However, most fertility clinics also test P levels when you go in for your blood work, so check with the clinic as to what your P levels were. If they were in the normal, then it is highly unlikely that the Endometrin caused the failed IVF cycle. 

Remember that statistically even with young, healthy donor eggs and no male factor, only about 65% of fresh cycles take. Depending on your age, egg quality/fragmentation, male factor etc. those rates go down. Also, if your progesterone levels were low, you would have noticed constant red spotting even while on Endometrin (pink spotting with endometrin is normal, red is not) 

I'm not trying to take Endometrin's side - they did issue a product recall - but also want you to be realistic about what to expect from the drug company. It is highly unlikely they will be paying for any free IVF cycles for anyone, at most reimburse for the medication. Remember, they have a whole team of lawyers who will be doing everything they can to protect their bottom line, and given that IVF is a crap shoot even with the very best odds, it would be very very difficult if not impossible to prove the Endometrin caused your failed cycle, especially if some of the other symptoms were not there (i.e.: brown tablets, constant spotting etc)

So sorry your cycle didn't work. Wishing you peace of mind, and FX for a positive cycle for you ahead.

Hugs,

Red

• waitingforbfp and lovebug15 like this
Lilypie Maternity tickers (In)Fertility Journey Details in About Me...