Switching Clinics: Transferring Frozen Embryos from One Clinic to Another? - Waiting Lounge - IVF.ca Forums

Photo
- - - - -

Switching Clinics: Transferring Frozen Embryos from One Clinic to Another?

transfer fet clinic frozen embryos

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kiwi888

kiwi888
  • Global 100+
  • 188 posts
  • Dx:Unexplained
  • My Clinic:PCRM (prev Edmonton RAH)

Posted 15 November 2013 - 08:56 PM

Has anyone had success switching clinics with their frozen embryos?  

I currently am at the Edmonton Fertility Clinic and have 2 embryos frozen there left, but am considering switching over to PCRM in Vancouver as I live in BC now.  

I realize that yes, I could fly back to Edmonton to have the last 2 embryos, but factoring in time and travel... if I could get it done in Vancouver, it would help a bit.  

1) Anyone done this before?

2) Are there any *major* risks to doing this?

3) Any extra costs?  

#2 ally86

ally86
  • Global 100+
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Training in the gym/bodybuilding
  • Dx:Cancer
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 16 November 2013 - 01:16 AM

I would also like to know about this because I am in Edmonton now but next year the military is talking about posting us to Ottawa, so if either this works and we want a sibling, OR this doesn`t work and we want to try again, we would likely be in Ottawa by that point.

me: 27, DH- 31

DH had testicular cancer, froze semen in '08, ready to get going now

IVF 1
Oct 2013- Cd3 blood test, AF ultrasound- Count looks good, hopefully this is the first of a list of good news items.eusa_pray.gif

Oct 23 2013- SIS, looks great

Oct 24 2013- HSG- plumbing looks good, tubes are clear.

Nov 3 2013- last minute start of estrace-estrogen priming for 7 days.

Nov 11 '13- CD1

Nov 13'13- CD3 blood and baseline ultrasound- looks like a few cysts but nothing too scary. 

Nov 13 '13 -antagonist protocol with estrogen priming. Menopur- 450 

Nov 17 '13- U/s and bloodwork- LOTS of follies, most def not a low responder, added orgalutran to keep them in there a little longer.
Nov 24- trigger...

Nov 26- ER- 10 fertilized, only 9 made it past day 3....now waiting to see on Day 5. please let there be enough to complete my family.....eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif

Dec. 2- 6 made it to blast and are frozen.

Feb 3-  cd 21-starting suprefact and ASA

Feb 17-CD3 (AF was 5 days late!) start estrace and antibiotic.

March 1- lining check.

March 8 Transfer one 5 day blast.....now we wait...

March 15/16- Home pregnancy test th_abfp.gif 
March 17- beta at 95 yahoo.gif

March 19- 2nd beta 229. Looking great.

March 23- 3rd beta at 1132.

April 9- u/s showing one bean at 7 weeks 1 day.

DD born Nov 2015

#3 mountainchick

mountainchick
  • Global 100+
  • 614 posts
  • Dx:Other
  • My Clinic:VFC

Posted 16 November 2013 - 11:54 AM

I am in the process of moving my embyros to a different clinic and there are risks involved with this (mainly shipping and thawing risks). For one thing, you need to find out whether the new clinic will accept your embryos. It also depends on how your embryos were frozen- slow or vitrified method. If vitrified, then the receiving clinic must be able to accept this material (and have experience using the freezing methods/devices used at the Edmonton clinic- otherwise  they could damage your precious embryos during the thaw process).  My current clinic will not accept frozen embryos (vitrified) into their clinic because of the risks and liability involved.

There is also the  distance that you must factor in. The best way to ship embryos is in liquid nitrogen, and you can't fly with this material. Therefore you'd probably have to hire a specialized cryo shipping company to dry ship for you....and there are risks with this (damage, delays, etc.). It's expensive too (a few thousand).

The lab who froze (vitrified) the embryos are going to be the experts in thawing due to the many differences in vitrification devices used to house the embryos. If I were you, I would travel to your Edmonton clinic for a transfer....your risks would much, much less this way. Plus, you may not have a choice since most clinics would not accept this material.

• kiwi888 likes this

TTC since I was 28; Started fertility treatments at 35.

Dx: Male factor, Hashimotos, fibroids

April 2011-13 eggs retrieved: all dead except 1 immature egg that was ICSI'd; no embryos to transfer

Switched from Calgary RFP to VFC

IVF#2: November 2012, donor egg cycle- chemical pregnancy

FET#1: Feb 2013- m/c @ 6 weeks

Sept 2013: Abdominal myomectomy done. Giant fibroids removed with my uterus intact! I love Dr. Allaire!

January 2014: Surrogacy- FET cycle, BFN.

FET#2: May 2014-BFP

May 26 beta=335,  May 28 beta=812, May 30 beta=2004          

Baby girl born January 2015 heart.gif

#4 kiwi888

kiwi888
  • Global 100+
  • 188 posts

Posted 16 November 2013 - 10:28 PM

Hi Mountainchick, thank you so much for your insight.  

It's a lot to think about, for sure.  I'll have to call the clinic to see what they say, but it's most likely I'll have to return to Edmonton to have another FET done and retrieve my 2 last embryos.  (There's so much that is already out of our control, so to speak -- I guess it wouldn't be worth it to risk the shipping and handling of our precious ''cargo'').

#5 If at first

If at first
  • Global 100+
  • 373 posts
  • Dx:Tubal
  • My Clinic:Mt Sinai

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:15 AM

Hi Kiwi

We recently consulted with another clinic about transferring our frozen embryos there and the dr told us that it isn't worth the risk. He said that embryos should be thawed in the same lab where they were frozen.

We're taking his word for it.

Journey on 'about me' page

#6 kiwi888

kiwi888
  • Global 100+
  • 188 posts

Posted 17 November 2013 - 10:46 AM

Hi If At First,

Thanks for weighing in.  In a way, it does make sense to leave the embryos where they are.  Too much at stake to risk moving them.  Sorry to see that you're miscarrying.  Best of luck.

#7 Beachlover

Beachlover
  • Global 100+
  • 389 posts
  • Dx:PCOS
  • My Clinic:FCC now RFP

Posted 03 December 2013 - 11:29 AM

Has anyone had luck with transferring embryos? We did your second round of IVF in Cancun - and had a amazing results along with an amazing experience - we are looking at having them moved back to Canada for convenience - and looking at going to Calgary - I have found a company that does this - and I have received a quote - I am just wondering if anyone has had luck with moving their own - we have 24 embryos frozen and again would like them in Alberta for ease of future FET

http://www.roadtoafamily.blogspot.ca

Lilypie Maternity tickers

Code snippet: HTML, Used for websites, email and some forums.
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

#8 ally86

ally86
  • Global 100+
  • 241 posts
  • Interests:Training in the gym/bodybuilding
  • Dx:Cancer
  • My Clinic:Edmonton

Posted 03 December 2013 - 03:09 PM

I was also advised by my RE that its risky to send embryos, as there is always a chance something will happen in transit, so it depends on how you weigh things. If you are working with limited quantities of embryos/sperm/eggs etc you may want to pay the extra to travel to them. Otherwise if you can assume the risk of possibly going through another IVF cycle to recreate your embryo bank in the unlikely event then go for it. I think in our case we will just save the airmiles and fly back to Edmonton and visit friends etc each time. Yes its costly but maybe not as costly as losing them and paying another cycle...

I guess one question to ask the shipping company is what insurance they have for this kind of thing. If they lose them, will they pay your next cycle and related costs? How do they track their cargo etc.

me: 27, DH- 31

DH had testicular cancer, froze semen in '08, ready to get going now

IVF 1
Oct 2013- Cd3 blood test, AF ultrasound- Count looks good, hopefully this is the first of a list of good news items.eusa_pray.gif

Oct 23 2013- SIS, looks great

Oct 24 2013- HSG- plumbing looks good, tubes are clear.

Nov 3 2013- last minute start of estrace-estrogen priming for 7 days.

Nov 11 '13- CD1

Nov 13'13- CD3 blood and baseline ultrasound- looks like a few cysts but nothing too scary. 

Nov 13 '13 -antagonist protocol with estrogen priming. Menopur- 450 

Nov 17 '13- U/s and bloodwork- LOTS of follies, most def not a low responder, added orgalutran to keep them in there a little longer.
Nov 24- trigger...

Nov 26- ER- 10 fertilized, only 9 made it past day 3....now waiting to see on Day 5. please let there be enough to complete my family.....eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif eusa_pray.gif

Dec. 2- 6 made it to blast and are frozen.

Feb 3-  cd 21-starting suprefact and ASA

Feb 17-CD3 (AF was 5 days late!) start estrace and antibiotic.

March 1- lining check.

March 8 Transfer one 5 day blast.....now we wait...

March 15/16- Home pregnancy test th_abfp.gif 
March 17- beta at 95 yahoo.gif

March 19- 2nd beta 229. Looking great.

March 23- 3rd beta at 1132.

April 9- u/s showing one bean at 7 weeks 1 day.

DD born Nov 2015

#9 Rstein

Rstein
  • Global 100+
  • 711 posts
  • My Clinic:RFP/VFC

Posted 04 December 2013 - 05:21 PM

I found the process to be rather easy. My previous clinic had the embryologist ask why I was moving them, but that's about it. I had to sign consent forms for both clinics I believe, and pay fees at both clinics. I didn't have to find a company to ship on my own - the clinic did that for me. Like Mountainchick advised, it's usually a requirement that the freezing techniques are the same. I don't know much about the risk in shipping. However, I wasn't willing to risk never getting pregnant by staying at RFP.
  • Hopeful1 and Laura1976 like this

#10 Beachlover

Beachlover
  • Global 100+
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:38 AM

ally86 good questions - I will definitely ask the company if they do cover these issues - i had a very successful cycle and I have 24 embryos frozen - so I am hoping most of them make the trek from Mexico to Canada…..

#11 Beachlover

Beachlover
  • Global 100+
  • 389 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 01:40 AM

Rstein - can I ask why you are leaving RFP? If I do transfer my embryos I am hoping to move them there - 

#12 Rstein

Rstein
  • Global 100+
  • 711 posts
  • My Clinic:RFP/VFC

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:42 PM

Beachlover (my autocorrect keeps wanting to type "beta clover" lol) - a few reasons, but mainly I saw women on this site with long term unexplained IF getting pregnant at VFC. I took a leap of faith, and I'm glad I did. BUT each clinic is great in their own right. Maybe RFP is an excellent clinic in dealing with PCOS. I also know others with unexplained IF who DID get pregnant at RFP. It just wasn't working out for me - I knew I needed a different protocol, and RFP wasn't willing to do that for me.
  • Hopeful1 and Laura1976 like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: transfer, fet, clinic, frozen, embryos